The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2016, 03:18 AM
Majesty

The lady has no milligram decency in her. Period.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Excellent character synopsis there. Up until the time of Diana's death, I really didn't know much about the man but from what I do know now, I find him quite questionable. Maybe its a Spencer trait to sling stones at other while living in glass houses.
I don't think he is that bad. I don't agree with what he did, with the funeral speech but I think he was angry and hurt and probably felt guilty about Diana, so he hit out.
he's far from perfect, but he seems to me to be an intelligent man with rather a short fuse...
I don't know of his being a bad father, and from what' I've read, he was unfaithful to his first wife and I think he is probably hard to live with, but I haven't heard of his being unfaithful to his other wives...

Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer leaves the royals' favourite London members' club | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't know of his being a bad father, and from what' I've read, he was unfaithful to his first wife and I think he is probably hard to live with, but I haven't heard of his being unfaithful to his other wives...

He was also unfaithful to his second wife, and he dumped his fiancee to marry someone else quite suddenly, so I guess he was unfaithful to her as well.

That leaves his current wife...time will tell.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps he's a bit of a Froot Loop. When it comes down to it, he's a cereal cheater.

Either that or he gets bored in relationships easily. So far it seems like his current marriage is going well.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

I haven't heard of any of that.. I think that his second wife posted someting on FB to say that he was a control freak, so I assumed thats' why she coudln't live with him. I'd say that's more of a problem. ANyway his marriages are his own business. I haven't heard of his bieng a bad father..
I think that when it comes to marriage, he tends to revert to patterns that he learned from his home life, his father and grandfather were both bullying husbands.
I think that he wasn't always a good brother to Diana but then she was difficult at times.. and I am not really a fan of hte Diana exhibition.. but I think that he's an intelligent man and has worked hard at keeping Althorp going and writing some books...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Majesty

His work to maintain Althorp and his writing do not negate his hypocrisy.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
His work to maintain Althorp and his writing do not negate his hypocrisy.
what Hypocrisy? HIs work to maintain Althorp and his books are his main duty, as a person. If he screws up in his private life, its really a matter for his wives and family.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer and her property tycoon boyfriend attend a glitzy art event in London | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness

Raine Spencer has died at the age of 87.

She was the stepmother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Princess Diana's stepmother Raine Spencer dies at 87 - BBC News
Old 10-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

My condolences to the Spencer family and the family of the late Countess.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

RIP 'Acid' Raine Dartmouth/Spencer,/de Chambrun. The 'wicked Stepmother' in that 80s Fairytale 'Charles & Diana'.

I well remember 'Private Eye's' spoof of her ticket to St Paul's Cathedral, that memorable day.

'Raine, Countess Spencer- Seat 87,Row Z [restricted view]'
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Majesty

I was stunned years ago when I read about the cruel, clever but hilarious nickname the Spencer children gave to the stepmother they loathed...ACID RAINE.

One of Diana's biographers wrote that the Spencer children "had a capacity for hatred that was frightening" but I was relieved to know that the late Princess of Wales had forged a bond with Raine before her death in 1997.

I wonder if Earl Spencer and and his two surviving sisters ever did?

RIP Raine.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
RIP 'Acid' Raine Dartmouth/Spencer,/de Chambrun. The 'wicked Stepmother' in that 80s Fairytale 'Charles & Diana'.

I well remember 'Private Eye's' spoof of her ticket to St Paul's Cathedral, that memorable day.

'Raine, Countess Spencer- Seat 87,Row Z [restricted view]'
I never understood why the Spencer children loathed Raine so much.

What did she do? Was it personal, or would they simply have detested any woman their father chose to marry?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I never understood why the Spencer children loathed Raine so much.

What did she do? Was it personal, or would they simply have detested any woman their father chose to marry?
Normal stepmom and step kids drama.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Nobility

I am pretty sure that Raine was flawed and made mistakes but it seemed to me that a lot of the anger she got from her step-children was misplaced, and that their issues should have been with their father.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Well from what I read one of the biggest issues was that she came in and started (not that she didn't have authority from the Earl) paintings etc etc in order to do repairs needed and pay debts etc. Also I have gotten the impression they weren't so happy with having a 'layer' between them and their father.

LaRae
Old 10-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Princess Diana’s stepmother Raine Spencer dies at the age of 87 | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

RIP countess spencer. And my condolences to William, Rupert, Henry and Charlotte and their kids on the loss of their mother/grandmother

As for her stepchildren, one could hope they found some peace with her. She after all nursed their father through years of illness though at the time if his death his don and Raine were on bad terms. They may not have liked her style, but much of what she did was needed repairs to their home and covering debt. Sad to think the wicked stepmother attitude can still be held by adults.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Charles Spencer is said to have been upset by the renovations to Althorp House that Raine undertook during her marriage to Johnny. She apparently sold off ancient treasures that had been part of the Spencer heritage for 400 years. She did so to make the place solvent and I commend her for that, but I also understand Charles and his siblings being appalled at having their inheritance sold out from under them by their step-mother.

Charles and his sisters felt that Althorp looked tacky, nouveau riche and gaudy after Raine's "improvements".

Raine allegedly used the ancient Chapel at Althorp as a storage room, something Charles found particularly offensive.(I don't blame him for that!) One of his first actions when he came to the earldom was to restore the Chapel to it's intended use as a place of worship.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana