The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Is it just me, or does this guy come off as a fruitcake? How many times has he been married?
3. Victoria Lockwood who he was divorcing when Diana died: mother of Kitty, Eliza, Amelia and his heir Louis. Caroline who is mother of Edmund and Lara. And now his Canadian wife Karen who is mother to Charlotte Diana. Karen's ex and father of her older 2 daughters is a major producer in Hollywoood (was nominated for an Oscar for Saving Private Ryan).

Old 07-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

His former wife Caroline Freud, nee Hutton also has two sons from her first marriage to Matthew Freud: George Rupert Freud and Jonah Henry Freud.
His first wife Victoria also has a son with her second husband Jonathan Aitken

So Kitty, Eliza, Amelia and Louis have four half-siblings
Edmund and Lara - seven
Charlotte Diana - eight.

uuuhhh, what a mish-mash...Resembles a bit Iglesias-Preysler family.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Apart from the marriage stuff I really like him I don't think he's a fruit cake. I have heard a few interviews and I think he comes across as a good guy. The many marriages are a bit much but at least he got married and they all seem happy families

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
He has been married three times and has seven children in total.
well it is rather a large family but i woudln't say that three marriages is a terrible thing. His first 3 children were girls so he needed ot have an heir. Its more the fact that he seems to have been serially unfaithful to his first wife and somthing of a bully to her and his second wife said much teh same, that bothters me.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

C Spencer's first wife Victoria had the heir, Louis, (admittedly after three girls) so he had no reason to go searching around for new blood like some modern day Henry VIII. IMHO Charles is just one of those serial adulterers who seem to pop up quite frequently among the aristocracy.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

true but possibly his second or third wives wanted more children. however I think that 7 kids is a lto to cope with, from a practical point of view. And while he seems to have been unfaithful to Victoria, I don't know of this happening with other wives..
Old 08-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Sarah and Jane seem to be reasonably close to their nephews. The main thing I remember Sarah for though, since her sister's death, was that awful episode where she was apparently a leading light in circumventing Diana's wishes re her godchildren.

If what has been written about in the Press is true, that is that Diana wrote in a codicil to her will (a letter) that she wished some of her godchildren to receive sums of money, prized possessions etc, and those wishes were completely ignored, that was pretty appalling IMHO.

Some of her godchildrens' parents had been, in life, Diana's dearest friends. She doted on their small children. For them not receive their due but instead for the Spencer sisters to visit their homes to hand over odd little pieces of china, brick a brac etc was probably an awful shock. Diana must have been rattling in her grave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...dchildren.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnist...-BETRAYAL.html
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that it wans't a codicil but a "letter of wishes" so it did not have the force of law that a bequest had.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 AM
Majesty

Yes, that is why it could be ignored. A legal codicil could not be.

The godkids were never to get sums of money. All money and jewels were left to her sons. 1/4 of her private possessions (clothes, books, videos, photos and such) were to go to the godkids. Instead of dividing ball gowns and romance novels among kids, they gave them each a personal item. And gowns and items no one needed were put on display. You may argue tacky of Charles Spencer, but the money raised for Diana's charities one could argue Diana would agree was a good use.

Simple fact, if she wanted specific items for people she should have laid it all out in a legal codicil and not a simple letter.

Quote:
You should not confuse a codicil with a letter of wishes. A codicil is intended to be legally binding. A letter of wishes merely expresses your wishes on how you would like executors to sort out your estate.
But a letter can be very useful, particularly if the executors have been given discretion under the will on how to deal with the assets.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Harry have full control of Diana's estate now that they are both over 30. If they were so offended by the godchildren snub, they can fix it if they want to.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its nothing to do iwth them..(W and Harry) but I dont see that Sarah/Chas Spencer gave anything to charity out of Dis' estate,? As I recall if he used any of her things for his Exhibiton the money mostly went to the upkeep of his estate..
I think ti was cheap to give the kids some cheapo thing from Di's personal possessions. Even if as sarah rudely put it, "they were not paupers", the point is that the Spencers ignored di's wishes and snubbed teh godchildren.
Diana problaby didn't intend that will to be the final disposition of her property, Im sure if ti had been a "serious will", she would have left money to charity as well as to her boys. She had probalby just been advised that now she was divorced, she should make a new will...and she made a simple one.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Majesty

The money from the exhibit at Althorp and later on tour, her brother said was donated to a fund in her name. Its easy enough to track and charity fraud is a serious crime. If he didn't donate to charity he would have been in legal trouble

If Diana intended her godkids to get anything but trinkets she should have said so. All her money and jewels went to the boys. She didn't have houses, cars, furniture to leave. Other than gowns I doubt her godkids would want, it was all trinkets and memorabilia. I guess they could have auctioned off what gown they were given and keep the money.

Harry and Will obviously have no issue with what was done. They have had control for a year, and yet the Diana exhibit continues. So obviously they approve of the Spencers choice to display for charity. Or they could have sold it and given to the godkids some, or put in storage.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually, Diana did have furniture of her own at her KP apartment. A friend of mine went to see Althorp years ago and spoke about a very pretty writing desk and other pieces in the exhibits. Also, in the link I provided in the previous post, sums of up to £32,000 all told, were mentioned as being left to her godchildren. After all, Diana did not think, as a healthy woman in her thirties, that anything was going to happen to her until she was old. Plenty of people die intestate, so at least she made a will.

So the exhibition continues? Why make the announcement Earl Spencer did just before his nephew Harry turned thirty then, that it would close? It doesn't speak to me of much closeness, to say the least, between uncle Charles and his nephews. Couldn't he have phoned, written, got his sister Sarah to convey a message?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

As I recall it, Spencer set up the Exhibition soon after Di's death and when he was criticised for charging a large entry fee, I don't believe he defended himself by saying that the money was going to the Diana Pss of W memorial fund. My understanding was that most of it went ot the upkeep of Althop. If anyone knows that it did, i'd like to kniow? Because there was a lot of talk at the time that little old ladies who had been Di's big fans could not afford what he charged for entry, so people felt that he had exploited Diana's fame, and that he was not really trying to give her fans a chance to see her things. He did hold concerts etc at Althorp for her memorial fund, that's true. As for the Exhibition- I believe it was closed a while ago Curryong.
Again it was said that this was because it wasn't getting so many people coming to see it..
With regard to the Will and Letter of wishes, I think that Diana wanted the godchildren to have something valuable from her personal possessions, not a cheap souvenir, which I gather is what Sarah S handed out...
As I recall also, the Spencers DID give a sum of money, to Paul Burrell in recogniton of his closeness to Diana.. so clearly they had a fair bit of leeway in how they settled things.. and Di probably believed that they would go with her wishes over her godchildren...
She probably didn't think seriously of dying so young and just made a will that sorted things out, after her divorce, just in case of anything suddenly happening.
So she made a very basic will. The simplest thing was to make it out to her 2 boys but I'm sure if she had been older and thinking more seriously that she might not be around she would have changed things and "spread it out" more...
I would like to think she would have remembered servants and left something to charity...and perhaps left a formal bequest of things to her godchildren.
I dot think well of the Spencers at all really for their behaviour.. they made a mess of the Diana Fund, didn't really go with her wishes for the godchildren, and I think Charles S did use Di's memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The
If Diana intended her godkids to get anything but trinkets she should have said so.
Harry and Will obviously have no issue with what was done. They have had control for a year, and yet the Diana exhibit continues. So obviously they approve of the Spencers choice to display for charity. Or they could have sold it and given to the godkids some, or put in storage.
It’s rather late now to go giving the godchildren something, the snub has already happened and I don't think it would look good for W and H to pop up now and say “here's one of Mum's silver boxes”. It would also look like a criticism of his aunts and uncle.
And since some of her godchildren were girls I can't see why they would not want one of her dresses...
She did probably have cars, and as C says she had furniture as well.
It’s not so much the details; it is the way it was done...
I understand that Sarah drove around with the “presents” -some of which were wrapped in newspaper. If that’s true, it’s not just the giving cheap souvenir things, when Di obviously wanted to give them something special, it is really quite insulting…Its not that they wanted expensive things, as such but to just fling them a few things that seem cheap, not even bother to wrap them up or make a special visit…
Old 09-03-2016, 03:46 AM
Majesty

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Kitty Spencer's sparkler's sure to set tongues wagging | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer remembers her late aunt Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Apart from the marriage stuff I really like him I don't think he's a fruit cake. I have heard a few interviews and I think he comes across as a good guy. The many marriages are a bit much but at least he got married and they all seem happy families.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well it is rather a large family but i woudln't say that three marriages is a terrible thing. His first 3 children were girls so he needed ot have an heir. Its more the fact that he seems to have been serially unfaithful to his first wife and somthing of a bully to her and his second wife said much teh same, that bothters me.
Ah yes, the high-minded, and morally outraged brother who sanctimoniously took a very ugly public swipe at Charles infidelity (overlooking Diana's) and the entire BRF over their cold-hearted treatment of his beloved sister and pledging to always be there to provide the warmth Diana gave and would ensure the continued love, support and normalcy for his nephews . . . yadda, yadda, yadda, raging at the BRF before God in the Cathedral at his sister's funeral, all the while cheating on his wife and in the process of divorcing her. His continued cheating on his second wife and third fiance, then dumping her and marrying yet another woman.

A good guy? Happy families? Rather a serial adulterer, a bully, and absent father, indeed he is a prince among men. A prince in all but name! More likely a canting hypocrite. So, in light of his sterling character, I would be interested to know for sure where he said the money was going and where it actually went.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Excellent character synopsis there. Up until the time of Diana's death, I really didn't know much about the man but from what I do know now, I find him quite questionable. Maybe its a Spencer trait to sling stones at other while living in glass houses.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ah yes, the high-minded, and morally outraged brother who sanctimoniously took a very ugly public swipe at Charles infidelity (overlooking Diana's) and the entire BRF over their cold-hearted treatment of his beloved sister and pledging to always be there to provide the warmth Diana gave and would ensure the continued love, support and normalcy for his nephews . . . yadda, yadda, yadda.
Yes, it's the blatant hypocrisy that gets me, too.

At least William and Harry didn't fall for it. I hear he's been almost entirely excluded from their lives.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:47 AM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer shows off her legs in a black mini dress at a fashion party | Daily Mail Online

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana