The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 AM
Serene Highness

Earl Spencer should join the Dutchess of York for shooting off of the mouth contest. He has no problems about playing the uncle when it suits him.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
'The throne is safe for now thanks to Wills': Earl Spencer's warning over future of royals-
SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: 'The throne is safe for now thanks to Wills': Earl Spencer's warning over future of royals | Daily Mail Online
It sounds as if Earl Spencer was flogging his book in the US, was asked about the future of the British monarchy and just answered with a throwaway line.

Incidentally, William's facial shape is growing very similar to his uncle Charles!

Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It sounds as if Earl Spencer was flogging his book in the US, was asked about the future of the British monarchy and just answered with a throwaway line.

Incidentally, William's facial shape is growing very similar to his uncle Charles!
William reminds me of his uncle all the time.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Earl Spencer should join the Dutchess of York for shooting off of the mouth contest. He has no problems about playing the uncle when it suits him.
I agree, Charlie Spencer should learn how to keep quiet.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree, Charlie Spencer should learn how to keep quiet.
I don't know what he said that was wrong. The future of the Monarchy do rest of the Cambridge's shoulders, but a lot of people think the Monarchy won't be around in the next hundred years. He just stated the obvious.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Earl Spencer opens up about Princess Diana's funeral and his famous eulogy-
Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer recalls the eulogy he made at her funeral - hellomagazine.com

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Did any of Charles' children attend Maidwell Hall preparatory school?
William
Jane Mynors' nursery school (London)
Wetherby School (London)
Ludgrove School (Wokingham)

Eton College (Windsor)
University of St Andrews
Royal Military Academy (Sandhurst)

Harry
Wetherby School (London)
Eton College (Windsor)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think he said anything wrong. There might not be a royal family in 100 years or even in 50 years

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

​Charles Spencer on Diana, Althorp and the death of kings - CBS News

The interior of Althorp looks amazing
Old 03-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the video! I think Earl Spencer spoke very nicely in it. The picture of him with his 7 children was really lovely.

I wonder if William and Harry are in regular contact with any of their Spencer relatives?
Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Althorp is indeed a beautiful family home.

I think William and Harry visit once in a while and whenever they have the spare time. All private, so we'll never know about it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles Spencer Recalls The 'Menacing' Comment A Paparazzo Once Made To Princess Diana (VIDEO)-
Charles Spencer Recalls The 'Menacing' Comment A Paparazzo Once Made To Princess Diana (VIDEO)

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Majesty

That paparazzo was particularly cruel. I wonder which one it was, and did he remember his sadistic remark when Diana died?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Paps in those days were always calling out insults and hurtful things to the famous just to get a reaction that they could photograph.

Earl Spencer has a lot of gall actually, talking about his eulogy to Oprah. He not only took a swipe at Prince Charles, his former brother in law, and by extension the royal family in that speech. He also drivelled on about how he and his sisters pledged to help their nephews. In his words, 'to continue steering the boys so that their souls are not simply immersed by duty and tradition but can sing openly as you planned.'

Probably Jane and Sarah did see something of the boys in their school holidays on occasion in the years afterwards. What about their brother? Did Earl Spencer continue to 'steer' his nephews long distance from South Africa, making sure they could 'sing openly' in between his divorcing and producing a lot of children and re-marriages? Not much time for mentoring others one would have thought, with such a private life, half a world away!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Heir Apparent

And maybe not the best role model!
I have to say, I have never liked Earl Spencer. I certainly don't wish him harm- just don't like him. He's just so- I don't even know the word. But he gives me the creeps. I didn't like his eulogy. I didn't like how he treated his sister in life and in death. Will give Oprah a miss.
I liked the former Earl- Diana's father- a whole lot more.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...But his best line came during the discussion of Althorp, the 500-year-old family pile for 19 Spencer generations, which he inherited when he was 27 after his father died. It has 90 rooms, some of which he hasn't even been in.

"I know it sounds absurd," he says, when Oprah jumps in to say it's not so absurd now that Americans have been introduced to Downton Abbey.

Downton creator Julian Fellowes, a titled aristocrat himself, is a pal, Spencer says.

"I did have the joy of sending Julian a clip from the Los Angeles Times where there was a profile of my house and the reviewer said it made Downton Abbey look Downton shabby."
More: Diana's house: Better than Downton Abbey?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Maybe the word is 'hypocrite'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
And maybe not the best role model!
I have to say, I have never liked Earl Spencer. I certainly don't wish him harm- just don't like him. He's just so- I don't even know the word. But he gives me the creeps. I didn't like his eulogy. I didn't like how he treated his sister in life and in death. Will give Oprah a miss.
I liked the former Earl- Diana's father- a whole lot more.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
William
Wetherby School (London)
Ludgrove School (Wokingham)

Eton College (Windsor)
University of St Andrews

Harry
Wetherby School (London)
Eton College (Windsor)
I think Cyril asked about Charles Spencer's children.
AFAIK, all ones by his first wife graduated Primary and Secondary Schools in Cape Town.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I may be in the minority here, I actually like Lord Spencer! I like hearing from him, and like the fact that he bring the cameras into Althorp from time to time.

I thought his eulogy was very appropriate and reflected the feelings of his family and world at the time. Earl Spencer was one of many who had a broad range of feelings in the aftermath of Diana's passing.

Althorp, is breathtakingly beautiful.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

I have to say that though I think he is a rogue and did not treat his sister well, I think he has a certain charm and I do think he speaks beautifully.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana