The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
but if I remember correctly he was quoted openly in that 1992 bombshell book in which it was revealed how the RF <really> treated Diana, what with Charles and Camilla, etc. I rmember him being quoted in that book to defend his sister if I'm not mistaken.
If you are speaking of the Morton book, I beg to differ. Spencer is quoted a few times about their childhood and the Spencer family, but there are no quotes or opinions attributed to him that address the Royal Family, the state of his sister's marriage, her bulimia, her children, his brother in law's infidelity, etc. Several other people offered opinions and viewpoints to Morton about those things, but Spencer did not, nor did he speak in his sister's defense.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, when you say "according to the media," you may have answered your own question at least to an extent. If the media can create controversy or stir up emotions, they're likely to sell more copies of whatever they're producing. Frances Shand Kydd wasn't in good health for several years before she died, and it does sound from her biography as though she saw her Windsor grandchildren sometimes, even if not very often. We don't know how often she saw her other grandchildren, for that matter. And as far as the Earl is concerned, he was living in South Africa for some of the time and he'd pretty much declared war on the royal family with that speech at Diana's funeral, so William and Harry might have been a bit wary about getting too close.
Good point, we don't really know whether or not they remained close! I should probably stop reading things like the 'Daily Mail', . OTOH it is known they've been invited to a few vacations with Jane and Sarah's families, that they declined, but that may well be because both boys don't exactly have eons of free time I take it. I don't know, also from what Spencer himself has stated publicly, I don't get the impression of the two princes being close with Diana's siblings. may also have to do with the fact that Diana, in her last days, wasn't exactly close to her mother and brother for example..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
If you are speaking of the Morton book, I beg to differ. Spencer is quoted a few times about their childhood and the Spencer family, but there are no quotes or opinions attributed to him that address the Royal Family, the state of his sister's marriage, her bulimia, her children, his brother in law's infidelity, etc. Several other people offered opinions and viewpoints to Morton about those things, but Spencer did not, nor did he speak in his sister's defense.
but the fact he was quoted in that book at all, that I took as an endorsement of him to his sister's decision not taking the situation lying down any more. I took it as some form of defending her.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
but the fact he was quoted in that book at all, that I took as an endorsement of him to his sister's decision not taking the situation lying down any more. I took it as some form of defending her.
Well, that's your interpretation-but I respectfully say that it is not mine. The majority of quotes from Spencer in the book were old ones that Morton lifted from other sources. There's no evidence that he ever came to her aid during the height of her bulimia or the troubles in her marriage. Before her death, Spencer never spoke out to defend his sister on any of the points he made against the Queen and the Royal Family in his eulogy, and the fact that he chose then to do so, in the presence of her sons, in hardly commendable. JMO.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Royal Highness

not that i condone spencer's outburst at the funeral...i agree it wasn't the time or place for something like that...but let me put this out there and get your thoughts:

perhaps he didn't publicly defend diana but might have in private? i'm thinking that if he had said anything publicly it might have made things more difficult for her. any thoughts??
Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Gentry

Perhaps Duchess, correct me if I am wrong but did any of Diana's family defend her when she was alive?

Lily
Old 01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana had fallen out with her mother and had a troubled relationship with her sisters at the time of her death and throughout her marriage.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Diana made her own path difficult-he couldn't have made it any worse after the Morton book.
I doubt that he offered her much support privately. By his own admission, he was not close to Diana..and Earl Spencer doesn't seem to be a man endowed with much sensitivity.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Diana had fallen out with her mother and had a troubled relationship with her sisters at the time of her death and throughout her marriage.
I know Diana wasn't on the best of terms with Jane before her death. But I thought Diana and Sarah were really close. Wasn't Sarah Diana's lady-in-waiting at one time.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Yes, Sarah was Diana's Lady in Waiting...and also an executor of her estate. So while they had some issues...she was closer to Sarah than Jane. I believe Diana felt that Jane's husband (Sir Robert Fellowes) who worked for the Queen was not on her side...and felt that her sister's allegiance was towards her husband and not her sister.

Also what was the age difference between the siblings? Diana was closer to her brother because he was younger than her...weren't the two older girls already in boarding school by the time the parents divorced?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
weren't the two older girls already in boarding school by the time the parents divorced?
Yes they were that could also had played a factor in the sibling's relationship.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sarah Spencer was born in 1955, Jane was born in 1957, Diana in 1961, and Charles in 1964. So when their parents divorced, Sarah and Jane would have been around 14 and 12.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I believe Diana felt that Jane's husband (Sir Robert Fellowes) who worked for the Queen was not on her side...and felt that her sister's allegiance was towards her husband and not her sister.
Yes, I recall that, too, about Robert Fellowes ~ also, isn't he a cousin to Sarah? I remember he didn't think too highly about either Diana or Sarah back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sarah had problems with him, too.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Yes, I recall that, too, about Robert Fellowes ~ also, isn't he a cousin to Sarah? I remember he didn't think too highly about either Diana or Sarah back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sarah had problems with him, too.
I'm not sure that is fair...I think it's highly probable that Robert Fellowes liked Diana, but did not think highly of the things that she did, such as the Morton book, etc. A case of "love the sinner, hate the sin". Remember, she lied to him, repeatedly, about the part she played in the book-by doing so, she placed him a very awkward position. Robert Fellowes was a traditional, career courtier who worked directly for the Queen and tried to protect the Queen's interests and the monarchy as a whole. Yes, he may be narrow minded, but Diana also violated his trust-so the problems were on both sides.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Courtier

Some reports have said that problems in his marriage to Caroline arose after she found out about the Guppy incident, and that may have led to arguments. Spencer isn't the type to stick through the hard times, so it may have been enough to make him walk out. Either way, even if he ends up married to Coleen, something tells me its not going to last.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
His maternal grandfather was (according to Wikipedia) Brigadier-General AFH Ferguson - grandfather of Sarah Ferguson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Some reports have said that problems in his marriage to Caroline arose after she found out about the Guppy incident, and that may have led to arguments. Spencer isn't the type to stick through the hard times, so it may have been enough to make him walk out. Either way, even if he ends up married to Coleen, something tells me its not going to last.
I've always thought he was a slick individual. He's kind of given me the creeps too.
And I always thought it was tacky how during the eulogy he lashed out at the royal family (even if what he said was the right thing or not- it was not the time or place).

Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I know Diana wasn't on the best of terms with Jane before her death. But I thought Diana and Sarah were really close. Wasn't Sarah Diana's lady-in-waiting at one time.
She was closer to Sarah, but as with the rest of the family, there were constant fallings out, IB.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Commoner

Are there no actual photos of the Earl´s children? I only know them as little ones!

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Gentry

I seem to recall a photograph of a pretty teen Diana and brother Charles where he has his arms around her hugging her and she has her arms crossed and is almost pulling away from him. If anyone can post that picture I would appreciate it as I can't. That picture to me speaks volumes.

Lily
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Commoner

oops u fogot abt unborn baby john before diana was born - prince john was born stillborn before diana - pls dont forget their unborn baby john - thx
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

This thread is about the current Earl Spencer and his family, not about Diana and her siblings. I doubt anybody's forgotten about John Spencer; he just isn't relevant to this thread. And he wasn't a prince.

The baby you're referring to wasn't stillborn, by the way. The reports are that he was born alive and died a few hours after birth.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana