Diana's Friends, Lovers and Bodyguards

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that, with hindsight, it's pretty clear that it was a mistake for her to marry Charles. Whether it's the first mistake she made is debatable.

Frankly, this is all nonsense. One poster has a definite prejudice against Diana and always lauds Camilla as "sooo wonderful". Well, the truth lie in between. Diana did a great deal. The press didn't need to be called, they came like geese. I am sure they were called at time. When they had walkabouts, Diana was inudated, leaving "poor Charles" seething. Diana did a great deal for charities. Many credit her for her help. She gave a great deal of herself. Now, did she have faults, of course. Yes, Charles has given time and money. More money than time. He has plenty of money to give. Camilla, up until recently did nothing for anyone, but herself. She is now been pushed into the limelight. She has no record or any real "work", I don't mean for pay, in her past. It is silly to compare the two woman and worse to excoriate one who is dead. Camilla is here an now. She is doing her job. I doubt that if she called the press before an engagement they would all drop what they are doing to photograph her.
I am in full agreement with your views, even if they tend to slightly veer off the topic. At the same time, they precisely reflect the current state of affairs, when it comes to discussing late Princess Diana.:)

Last edited:
COUNTESS said:
It is silly to compare the two woman and worse to excoriate one who is dead.

I am in full agreement with your views, even if they tend to slightly veer off the topic. At the same time, they precisely reflect the current state of affairs, when it comes to discussing late Princess Diana.:)

We've had discussions about the Duke of Clarence being Jack the Ripper and murdering a bunch of prostitutes, and his grandmother Queen Victoria being behind his murder, we've talked about Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor, possibly being a Nazi, and his younger brother George VI possibly being a wife beater and more recently over in the Luxembourg forum, they've talked about the recently died Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte being racist and cruel towards her daughter in law the present Grand Duchess. All of these are dead people so I think if someone is squeamish about reading or writing unsavory things towards the dead, they would have left our forums a long time ago.

We've had discussions about the Duke of Clarence being Jack the Ripper and murdering a bunch of prostitutes, and his grandmother Queen Victoria being behind his murder, we've talked about Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor, possibly being a Nazi, and his younger brother George VI possibly being a wife beater and more recently over in the Luxembourg forum, they've talked about the recently died Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte being racist and cruel towards her daughter in law the present Grand Duchess. All of these are dead people so I think if someone is squeamish about reading or writing unsavory things towards the dead, they would have left our forums a long time ago.

Plus I think we had all agreed that Camilla is a no-no-topic here :flowers:. Safes a lot of bad blood.... Merry Christmas to you...

But of course it could be very interesting to discuss why those with a prejudice towards Diana, if there are any members with that and not solid reasons, that is, got to the point where and when they started to change their opinion about Diana. Morton-book? Charles' interview? Panorama-interview? Squidgygate? Hewitt-affair? War of the Waleses? Or simply Dodi?

Last edited:
But of course it could be very interesting to discuss why those with a prejudice towards Diana, if there are any members with that and not solid reasons, that is, got to the point where and when they started to change their opinion about Diana. Morton-book? Charles' interview? Panorama-interview? Squidgygate? Hewitt-affair? War of the Waleses? Or simply Dodi?

Good idea, but let's hold off on this for now. Its not really appropriate for this thread and I'm looking for a current thread that your question can fit in.

Following on Warren's excellent suggestion, I've moved the posts about Diana's charities to her charities thread so we can follow that discussion better there.

ysbel
British forums moderator

Plus I think we had all agreed that Camilla is a no-no-topic here :flowers:. Safes a lot of bad blood.... Merry Christmas to you...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jo. :flowers: We started a new thread and poll on this very topic which everyone can see here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/when-did-your-opinion-diana-change-why-15318.html

Here's a video on Diana's lovers but, surprise, Oliver Hoare is not even stated :eek:. This documentary was prepared for what should have been her 46th birthday and the prefered to name Ted Forstmann, much more of a rumored affair than an accurate one like Hoare's.

When Harry came to Australia he stayed at the property in Northern NSW (?) that belonged to Diana's former flatmate Ann Hill and her husband. Ann married the son of one of Charles's friends who owns large stations ( ranches) in Australia. He's Australian, so she lives in Australia and obviously there is some contract with Diana's children but probably more due to her husband's family connections with Charles.

Isn't her name Anne, rather than Ann? I know it's a trivial difference, but I just wanted to know for sure which spelling is correct. I believe Morton referred to her always as Anne.

The BBC seems to have got things wrong, because Virginia Pitman is mentioned as his second wife.

BBC NEWS | UK | Profile: Camilla Parker Bowles

Wikipedia has Rosemary Pitman:

BBC NEWS | UK | Profile: Camilla Parker Bowles

Genealogy god Michael Rhodes says here that Virginia Pitman is daughter of Major Tommy Pitman (of Leyburn, Wensleydale, north Yorkshire) and she married banker Henry Clarke in 1991. It was Henry Clarke's second marriage.

I don't think there is a relationship between her and Rosemary Parker Bowles. Rosemary's maiden name was Dickinson and her first husband was a Pitman, an army guy I think.

Lana Marks, although not a long time friend of Diana, whose father died so Diana chose to vacation with Dodi, still designs purses.

I was flipping through a magazine and one of her purses (in white alligator, white 18 Karat gold and trimmed in 20 carats of diamonds) sells for over $260,000.

Yes, that figure is correct!

Does Scotland Yard now train women to be royal bodygaurds? If I had one chance to ask one question of Ken Wharfe it would to be if he thought Diana might have fared better with a female security officer.

Does Scotland Yard now train women to be royal bodygaurds? If I had one chance to ask one question of Ken Wharfe it would to be if he thought Diana might have fared better with a female security officer.
I think Diana got on better with men, (that is not meant in a derogatory way). :flowers:

I agree Skydragon. We often hear about her female friends as Lucia Flecha de Lima or Rosa Monckton but rarely read about her boyfriends (friendship, not love) although it surely doesn't mean she had less. I think Philip Dunne was a friend of hers before her wedding and James Gilbey was also a friend before becoming a lover (first in her teens, then later in the late 80's) and we could easily add a few other men of the Palace household.

Concerning the bodyguard, women are getting their place but it's still very exceptional so it's no surprise if Diana never had a woman bodyguard. Plus, I'm skeptical about the Palace putting forward this rather exceptional job for a woman. But who knows, maybe one day? :)

Blair had a female protection officer.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Colonel Khadafi too......a lot of them.

Well Colonel Khadafi is rather 'special' with his habits and like to be noticed with his "amazons", as he call them. However I didn't know that about Tony Blair actually. That's quite interesting! But Tony Blair was elected in 1997 and Diana wasn't under any kind of protection by then and perhaps (it's just a supposition) a woman with a female bodyguard doesn't look 'protected'. I mean, it's really not a sexist remark but that's the impression I think people have. Or maybe they don't take the risk because two women together would be always chatting. :D

A female RCMP officer (plainclothes) guarded Diana during her tour of the Maritimes in 1983, plus her regular protection officers.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing a photo of a female P.O. walking on the street with Diana. It was post separation, somewhere around late 1992 or early 1993. Diana was in a blue blazer with jeans.

Did Paul Burrell ever have to take any courses in protection? He did go out alone with the Princess on some very interesting late night adventures.

I'm sure he didn't. He was too busy looking for something to write those God awfull stories about her:D.

I'm sure he didn't. He was too busy looking for something to write those God awfull stories about her:D.

And thinking of how to make money out of his position.....very exaggerated position I think too. :whistling:

Did Paul Burrell ever have to take any courses in protection? He did go out alone with the Princess on some very interesting late night adventures.
Not unless he paid privately, he was after all a mere butler, one up from a waiter! :D

Anyone know when began her friendship with Lady Annabel Goldsmith and Rosa Monckton ?

Anyone know when began her friendship with Lady Annabel Goldsmith and Rosa Monckton ?

I am almost sure that Rosa Monckton was 1992. That was the year Diana, Princess of Wales separated from Prince Charles.

They met at a charity event, that I am sure of.;)

Diana's flat

Goodmorning everybody!
So sorry, my englisch isnt so good, i'm dutch.
What i was wondering: does anybody knows what the right apartment was of diana?
I know the adress, en i went there severeral times, but was it on the corner, en on the first floor.
When i went there i made pictures my boyfriend made, while i was standing by the entrance of the main door. But I'm not sure which apartment she lived in exalty.
If you can help I would be very pleased. In may I'm going back there, so it would be nice to take a picture.

Thanxx al lot!

I couldn't understand why she ever got involved with Dodi Fayed. She must have been aware of his reputation and his father's reputation. On that last vacation, she was taunting the photographers and allowing them to take lots of pictures of them together as a couple. At the same time, she was running away from the paparazzi and complaining about her lack of privacy. As saddened as I was by the Princess's death, I wasn't completely shocked by it.

By 1997 I don't think the Princess was spiraling downward or self destructive to herself or towards the royal family she was on good terms with the Queen and Charles at the time of her death.

I always believed that Dodi was a summer fling nothing more nothing less. She had no where to go for the summer and he extended an invitation and she took it.

But why even a summer fling with the man? I believe that she got involved with James Hewitt because he was there and resembled her father. I believe that she saw men like James Gilbey because he was an old friend and she was lonely. She admired Hasnat Khan. Oliver Hoare was handsome and wealthy and sophisticated. Why Dodi Fayed???? Even for a "fling"? There's no definite answer, I know. Anyway, I think that I've veered us off-topic. No doubt there'll be a moderator here soon.;)

I always believed that Dodi was a summer fling nothing more nothing less. She had no where to go for the summer and he extended an invitation and she took it.

Back
Top Bottom