Diana's Charity Work and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussiechick12

Commoner
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Hi everyone --

I'm looking for information on Diana's Charity work and Patronages. The things I would like to know are what charities did she do work for, if there are any photos of Diana visiting or information about those charities. And the same for her patronages.
I've been looking on the internet but there doesn't seem to be a lot. I've also looked around the forum but to my disappiontment I could find anything!

Thank you in advance!
Emma :flowers:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/britain/princess_diana/princess_diana_charity.jsp
http://ddickerson.igc.org/princess-diana/dianas-charities-1.html
http://www.aegis.com/news/re/2002/RE021101.html
http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/diana/readingroom/sept9798/9.html

Diana has not only proved her compassion for sufferers, but has also shown the courage to take risks she believes are worthwhile. Without publicity coverage, Diana would visit clinics, some on her own without detective protection, to meet and chat with the patients.

Diana visited many young lepers in Indonesia. One of the hospital's doctors quoted the effects of her visits: "She did so much more than she had to. She need only shake their hand and move on, but she sat on their beds and listened and talked to them. Then she joined the children in a game of bowls, which they loved. She brought happiness and smiles to those children".

Not only did Diana personally reach out to victims of terrifying diseases, but she also encouraged others to donate their time and money to these worthy causes. Diana showed it wasn't necessary to be apprehensive towards the victims of the various diseases she worked with. Princess Diana lived an influential life and her efforts will never be forgotten.

There are many images on Getty, Corbis and Isifa.
As for Patronage you can look in here http://www.theinternetforum.net/royalforum/index.php?topic=15434.0

I'm not sure if anyone from the Diana Ring looks at this website but there is a mistake on one of her charites, she was a part of BirthRight a fundrasing drive under the Royal College of Obstricans. Not BirthRight International which is what you have listed, they are two VERY different organizations.

Oppie said:
I'm not sure if anyone from the Diana Ring looks at this website but there is a mistake on one of her charites, she was a part of BirthRight a fundrasing drive under the Royal College of Obstricans. Not BirthRight International which is what you have listed, they are two VERY different organizations.

Thank you. I will change that, and the info is much appreciated. :flowers:

Oppie said:
Sassie

I did some more research Birthright that Diana supported became Well Being of Women

Here is a link to there website http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp

Here is a link to there history and the part about changing the name and a part about Diana as patron http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=16 (paragraph 6)

Marvelous! Thank you so much for that information, Oppie. I plan to update that page on my site before Christmas, and will definitely be including this. :flowers:

I thought a bit about Diana and the men in her life and I became aware of what Richard Kay has said at the inquest - which nobody has commented on till now, but which threw the last bit of respect I had for Diana out of the window:

Kay said Diana had told him that shortly before she died that she wanted to cut down her activities against landmines and work for a Fayed-financed series of hospices to be called The Diana Hospices.

At first I didn't think much about that but then I realised that as soon as she had started to date the nephew of a prominent weapon dealer, she let herself buy off her ant-landmines campaign by the promise of the weapon dealer's in-law to get another charitable project, one which only her name on it... Gosh, that turns me off! What kind of woman was that? Was it really so easy to bribe her?

I don't beleive anything that comes out of that man's mouth. Almost everyweek Kay writes a ridiculous article on Diana; and the most dumb that I read this past month was the one in which Camilla wore the RFO he wrote that Camilla wearing the same order that Diana wore. I don't put any belief in this man's words.

I don't beleive anything that comes out of that man's mouth. Almost everyweek Kay writes a ridiculous article on Diana; and the most dumb that I read this past month was the one in which Camilla wore the RFO he wrote that Camilla wearing the same order that Diana wore. I don't put any belief in this man's words.

I think it is a difference if he writes it in his paper or if he says that at an official inquest. He has never written about that information but when question by solicitors and the Coroner, he had to answer.

But why would the Princess do that, and risk public backlash?

IMO I just hear BS coming from him.

Like many times, I don't think she knew what she was doing. I believe she thought it was a good idea to use her name for a cause since many charities had raised alot of money just from her patronage. And, like the press showed us, her name worths alot. But I agree, using a weapon dealer to create such a project is very unwise. Although, for seeing how Fayed talks and finds his arguments to defend his causes, Diana would have jumped from a cliff if asked to do so. Because, in the end, Fayed would have won alot from this project too.

Like many times, I don't think she knew what she was doing. I believe she thought it was a good idea to use her name for a cause since many charities had raised alot of money just from her patronage. And, like the press showed us, her name worths alot. But I agree, using a weapon dealer to create such a project is very unwise. Although, for seeing how Fayed talks and finds his arguments to defend his causes, Diana would have jumped from a cliff if asked to do so. Because, in the end, Fayed would have won alot from this project too.

I have no problem with Diana wanting to use Al-Fayed's money to do something charitable. I just am shocked that she allegedly wanted to lessen her engagement against landmines and personally doubt that the fact that the Fayed's are involved with weapon dealer's had nothing to do with it.

Well like I said, as naive as she could be sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me that Fayed had convinced her of letting this cause down. The landmine is one of the most controvertial and difficult cause to defend. I remember seeing a video when Diana was in Angola and someone of the Government in Britain had critized her so badly that she didn't know what to say to reply and defend herself.

I thought a bit about Diana and the men in her life and I became aware of what Richard Kay has said at the inquest - which nobody has commented on till now, but which threw the last bit of respect I had for Diana out of the window:

Kay said Diana had told him that shortly before she died that she wanted to cut down her activities against landmines and work for a Fayed-financed series of hospices to be called The Diana Hospices.

At first I didn't think much about that but then I realised that as soon as she had started to date the nephew of a prominent weapon dealer, she let herself buy off her ant-landmines campaign by the promise of the weapon dealer's in-law to get another charitable project, one which only her name on it... Gosh, that turns me off! What kind of woman was that? Was it really so easy to bribe her?
Well commented on Jo. :flowers: I don't think she saw beyond 'The Diana Hospices', her name as a caring person, forever immortalised in lights, (so to speak). I have always maintained that if there had been no photo opportunities with the charities, Diana would not have been interested. You hear of C & C giving money as well as time to their charities but I cannot come up with one occasion when Diana did the same.

Last edited:
Charity isn't all about giving money. Anyone can give money to a charity but are some willing to go to these third world countries in which the charities support? The Princess did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well commented on Jo. :flowers: I don't think she saw beyond 'The Diana Hospices', her name as a caring person, forever immortalised in lights, (so to speak). I have always maintained that if there had been no photo oportunities with the charities, Diana would not have been interested. You hear of C & C giving money as well as time to their charities but I cannot come up with one occasion when Diana did the same.

I only remember that after she ceased to appear as "The Princess of Wales" in public, she send most of her charities down the drain. Okay, then I thought that's understandible because her position had changed but in the meantime I heard so many things about how the RF still supported her or payed for people to support her and would have done so in the future,IMHO if she had continued, so I haven't bought that argument for a long time. Or just look at Countess Alexandra of the Danish Royal family - she still get support for her charities and the people there still want her, even though she left the family to marry again. There is even talk of naming her the Secretary Gerneal of the Danish Red Cross, so I don't think her move away from the prince matters that much when it comes to support for charities.

Charity isn't all about giving money. Anyone can give money to a charity but are some willing to go to these third world countries in which the charities support? The Princess did.

True...that's why people like Angelina Jolie get so much attention for their work, she actually goes in the thick of the problem and sheds a bigger light.

Giving money is a great option but it takes a special kind of person to take it to the next level.

True...that's why people like Angelina Jolie get so much attention for their work, she actually goes in the thick of the problem and sheds a bigger light.

Giving money is a great option but it takes a special kind of person to take it to the next level.
Whilst this isn't a discussion about Charles, as such, It is worth remembering all the charity work he has done over the years, in the UK and elsewhere.

Taking it to the 'next level', to me, means a hands on approach, not just posing for pictures and then going back to a nice 5 star hotel or residence! Angelina Jolie is hardly associated with charity work over here but I maintain that the cost to some of the charities of flying Diana out for a photo opportunity was wasted money.

I only remember that after she ceased to appear as "The Princess of Wales" in public, she send most of her charities down the drain. Okay, then I thought that's understandible because her position had changed but in the meantime I heard so many things about how the RF still supported her or payed for people to support her and would have done so in the future,IMHO if she had continued, so I haven't bought that argument for a long time. Or just look at Countess Alexandra of the Danish Royal family - she still get support for her charities and the people there still want her, even though she left the family to marry again. There is even talk of naming her the Secretary Gerneal of the Danish Red Cross, so I don't think her move away from the prince matters that much when it comes to support for charities.

Diana got a divorce settlement and not a stipend from the government as Alexandra is doing. I don't think there was the expectation that she would keep up her charities when she stopped being Princess of Wales.

Actually initially I thought dropping the charities was a good idea. I often thought that Diana focused so much on helping strangers because she didn't know how to have healthy relationships with the people closest to her. It sounds generous but I think her time would have better been spent mending the relationships closest to her - like the Spencers, the Windsors, her children, trusted friends.

It would have been nice if Diana had taken the lead of the late, great Audrey Hepburn who had done so much for UNICEF. Audrey, like Diana, had been a face for UNICEF, she didn't get down in the trenches but she provided an awareness to a cause that previously had gone unnoticed. Audrey also had a failed marriage - in fact she had two failed marriages, the first marriage failed due to several miscarriages she had and the second marriage due to her second husbands continuous unfaithfulness towards her with several women. But she persevered; and with dignity and decorum, got herself out of that disastrous second marriage while seeking to secure her children against kidnapping threats at the time. Finally she found a man who was her soulmate and was as supportive of her and her children as she was to him.

What does this have to do with Diana, you might ask? Well Audrey put her priorities on fixing her own life first before she put much effort into helping others. As a result, she's left a wonderful legacy with her widower and two sons who have continued her legacy with UNICEF. Their efforts are some of the most respected today. So all of the work that she started with UNICEF is still going strong with her children with whom she shared a close and healthy bond.

Diana on the other hand has no one who was close to her to carry on her legacy. Her brother was the closest one to her in childhood but by the time of her death they were no longer speaking and that has reflected in the terrible mismanagement of her charities. Her sons William and Harry have their own problems as you can see from their threads here. William is the heir to the throne (or heir to the heir) so that must be his first priority, he doesn't have the liberty of picking up any charitable cause he wants. Harry has more freedom but he seems to flit from one thing to another with no real purpose. Has anyone heard of Lesotho since he said he was going to team up with the prince there?

However, the disagreements and mismanagement of Diana's charities is a direct result of the terrible state of Diana's personal relationships and this is where she differs from Audrey Hepburn. Her brother has two many conflicting emotions towards his ex-sister to do a good job with her charities (I think he wanted to blacken the eye of the Royal Family rather than truly help people)

I also think William and Harry are hampered with their conflicting relationship with Diana. Even Diana's friends said that she was jealous if anyone tried to befriend her sons and that she did use her sons in ammunition against Charles. One of the results was that she carried out a vendetta against Tiggy Legge-Bourke the boys nanny, who the boys were very close to and who comforted them during the worst times of the War of the Waleses. She also asked William for advice that was well beyond his years to give. These elements of Diana's real relationships to her sons and her family have an impact on how well they carry out Diana's legacy. Diana's sons will forever be labelled the children of a marriage where their father so cruelly treated their mother no matter what they try to do to up the profile of her charities. So they have to balance the inevitable backlash against their father and the Royal Family if they want to honor their mother's charities. Audrey Hepburn's sons had no such problems. Audrey's second husband cheated on her non-stop but she hasn't gone down in history as the woman that that man so cruelly treated so her sons can honor her legacy without wondering what it will do to their relationship with their father.

So I think that if there is a lesson to be learned from these two women's lives, its that charity truly does begin in the home and if one wants to set a legacy that lasts, its best to make sure the closest relationships are healthy and strong so that the people after your death protect your legacy and life's work. Right now there is no one who is protecting Diana's life work with her charities and I think it is the fallout from her personal relationships.

I think that the creation of "The Diana, Princess of Wales Foundation" was a bad idea. They should have stuck with her choice which was to help a few charities and not create a new one. If they have feared to loose funds because she died, they could have join her name to their own association banner like : "The Leprosy Mission : supported by the Late Princess of Wales, etc.". It would have been more appreciated I think and much more serious because, honestly, we don't hear about The PoF foundation and their work, do we ?

I think that the creation of "The Diana, Princess of Wales Foundation" was a bad idea. They should have stuck with her choice which was to help a few charities and not create a new one. If they have feared to loose funds because she died, they could have join her name to their own association banner like : "The Leprosy Mission : supported by the Late Princess of Wales, etc.". It would have been more appreciated I think and much more serious because, honestly, we don't hear about The PoF foundation and their work, do we ?

That is so true, we only hear about the Diana Foundation when we hear how badly managed it is. Well I think her brother's actions with the Foundation was to make sure that The Royal Family played no part in it, and on that level he succeeded.

I believe Diana didn't leave someone who believed enough in her and her legacy to make sure that the best of what she tried to achieve was carried out. I get the feeling that her family and her closest friends were not that committed to her charitable causes - except maybe Harry but he's more associated with his temper and his drunkenness rather than for his charity work.

Without the strong healthy relationships to those close to you, its hard for other people to carry on your legacy when you die.

That is so true, we only hear about the Diana Foundation when we hear how badly managed it is. Well I think her brother's actions with the Foundation was to make sure that The Royal Family played no part in it, and on that level he succeeded.

I believe Diana didn't leave someone who believed enough in her and her legacy to make sure that the best of what she tried to achieve was carried out. I get the feeling that her family and her closest friends were not that committed to her charitable causes - except maybe Harry but he's more associated with his temper and his drunkenness rather than for his charity work.

Without the strong healthy relationships to those close to you, its hard for other people to carry on your legacy when you die.

Unfortunatly that's true. I can't understand why, with so many people who admire her, no one was able to manage the foundation and do some good PR so people would hear about the work they're doing and help them. What this foundation needs is someone who won't let it down and who will forget about his anger for the sake of the needy. I've always believed in her work for people and I'm sure I'm not the only one so why can't we do something about it ? It's so sad that this charity drowns because of a bad management.

Whilst this isn't a discussion about Charles, as such, It is worth remembering all the charity work he has done over the years, in the UK and elsewhere.

Taking it to the 'next level', to me, means a hands on approach, not just posing for pictures and then going back to a nice 5 star hotel or residence! Angelina Jolie is hardly associated with charity work over here but I maintain that the cost to some of the charities of flying Diana out for a photo opportunity was wasted money.

I brought up Angelina because Diana did a similar thing to her. She actually went into these desperate situations and shed a huge light with her celebrity. And people actually paid attention...

I'm sure plenty of other famous people attempt the same thing, but a select few are able to draw the world's attention. So if the photo opportunity did cost like you said, it still did so much better in the long run. Everyone has their own motives when it comes to charity work...but some get more praised more than others for various reasons.

Unfortunatly that's true. I can't understand why, with so many people who admire her, no one was able to manage the foundation and do some good PR so people would hear about the work they're doing and help them. What this foundation needs is someone who won't let it down and who will forget about his anger for the sake of the needy. I've always believed in her work for people and I'm sure I'm not the only one so why can't we do something about it ? It's so sad that this charity drowns because of a bad management.

That is true, TheTruth.

The Spencers and the Windsors, alas, were not able to let go of their anger, unfortunately and I think that it because Diana chose to make two public legacies; one which hurt the other.

She chose the legacy of the caring princess who looked after those less fortunate but in her collaboration with the Morton book that villified the Royal Family and the Panorama interview which threatened to shake the monarchy and the well publicized fallouts with the other members of her family, she also chose the legacy of the avenging princess threatening to use the great adoration she received from the masses to wreak vengeance and avenge any wrongs that anyone did against her. The public's adoration of Diana was a powerful weapon that she used often and it hurt some people close to her as severely as it gave comfort to those responding to her charitable works. In her close relationships, there were a lot of people who were on the receiving side of this vengeance.

Diana was very conscious of both legacies that she left; in fact she said that you can't comfort the afflicted without afflicting the comfortable and her life's work bore out that. She was renown both for the joy she gave people she met only a short time and the pain and anguish she caused those that were close to her and I rather think she was proud of her ability to afflict the comfortable.

Unfortunately I don't think she was right; I do think you can comfort the afflicted without afflicting the comfortable. And if she could have managed to comfort the afficted and have healthy relationships with the ones closest to her, the legacy of her charities and her good works would have never been in doubt.

Going back to Audrey Hepburn, I don't think she was a perfect mother and wife. Certainly she had faults, she was paranoid about her children, I'm sure she didn't always treat her husbands well and she tended to be anal-retentive. But when we hear about her legacy, we don't hear about these things, just her caring and her life's work. That is because Audrey Hepburn made a conscious decision not to let the hurt and the anger that she experienced over her life to be part of her life's legacy.

Two caring and loving women, both experienced pain, and both made conscious choices in response to that pain, and left two very different legacies.

You're comparison with Hepburn is quite right. Audrey was a great lady that I admire alot for her kindness and humanitarian help. The 2 women have many things in common but Hepburn died at 64. I believe wisdom comes with age and experience but by saying that I'm not trying to excuse Diana's behaviour and mistakes due to her youth. Although, in spite of her terrible errors like Morton's book and the Panorama Interview, I firmly think that time would have done her some good and that she would have time to really invest herself and leave behind the gossips of tabloids. And, eventually, when she would die, people would remind more of her as someone who helped more than someone who made the front page everyday.

You're comparison with Hepburn is quite right. Audrey was a great lady that I admire alot for her kindness and humanitarian help. The 2 women have many things in common but Hepburn died at 64. I believe wisdom comes with age and experience but by saying that I'm not trying to excuse Diana's behaviour and mistakes due to her youth. Although, in spite of her terrible errors like Morton's book and the Panorama Interview, I firmly think that time would have done her some good and that she would have time to really invest herself and leave behind the gossips of tabloids. And, eventually, when she would die, people would remind more of her as someone who helped more than someone who made the front page everyday.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to compare Audrey at 64 with Diana at a younger age but more of the choices the women made when they were about the same ages. Audrey's marriage to Mel Ferrer was extremely rocky from the time she was young but she never sought to expose the pain from that first marriage and instead chalked it up to her miscarriages. At the beginning she wanted her legacy to be her work in film, later in her thirties, she wanted her legacy to be her relationship with her children and focused only on that, finally in her forties and fifties when her relationship to her children and her comfort with her legacy in film was secure, did she focus on her charities. She did everything in the right order. In her twenties, she took care of herself, in her thirties, she took care of her children and in her forties she took care of people less fortunate than her. If Audrey had done anything in any other order like work on her charities in her twenties, I don't think she would have been as successful.

By the same token, I don't think Angelina Jolie will leave any lasting legacy with her charity work. She's got too many loose hanging threads with her relationship with her father and her relationship with Brad Pitt crowding out her work with charities. If Angelina Jolie died today, I don't think any of her nearest and dearest would take over her charity work.

Back
Top Bottom