The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Aristocracy

May 29 or 30, 1985. If anyone knows definitely which day it was, let me know.

All color photos: Tim Graham; b/w: Syndication International in People magazine

I really like this simple, casual look. Even on the most informal occasions, Diana was always so well coordinated. The sweater, belt, and shoes are the exact same shade of red.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Aristocracy

June 16, 1985. This was the Constantine Cup polo match, named for ex-King Constantine of Greece. In photos 1 and 2, Diana is curtsying to Constantine.

Photos; 1.Majesty magazine; 2.Rex Features; 3.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide (Finchers)

Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Aristocracy

umbrellagirl,
what cool pictures! I love that white and red outfit. It looks so cool and classy!

I also like the last set you posted. I loved that suit when she wore it before the wedding and I still like it.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Tenngirl
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Nobility

I love the floral outfit that she wore to polo in June of 1983. Her hair was longer and lighter. She looks so young and fresh. The summer of 1983 was a good time for her looks wise.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Aristocracy

As you may have noticed, I'm moving chronologically through all of Diana's polo appearances. Watch this space. I'll try to post two polo dates every day.

June 18, 1985. Polo after Ascot. Lady Jean has posted one photo in Post #139 of this thread. Here are a few more.

Photos: 1.LGI/Corbis; 2.Majesty magazine; 3.Alpha; 4.David Levenson/Getty Images
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Aristocracy

June 20, 1985. Polo after Ascot. Pendragon's photos in Post #149 above are also from this day.

All photos by Tim Graham (APL and Getty), except for number 4, which is by Photographers International
Old 08-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Courtier

I've seen all these pictures of Diana at the polo grounds watching the game, but does anyone know or have heard if she truly liked the game or was there for show?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Aristocracy

From what I've read, I gather that Diana didn't care for polo, but attended out of what she felt was her wifely duty to share her husband's enthusiasms. I don't think it was "for show," but she was simply trying to be a good wife. (IMHO). And she certainly didn't show up every time Charles played polo. He often played several times a week!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

June 29, 1985. Avalon has posted 2 photos from this day in Post #61 of this thread. Here are some more.

Photos: 1.McCall's mag, June 1986; 2.Jayne Fincher; 3.Hello magazine; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5. Tim Graham/Getty Images
Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Aristocracy

June 30, 1985. One of Charles and Diana's most-photographed kisses.
These two consecutive days marked the beginning of a period lasting several years where, whenever Diana presented polo prizes, they made sure to please the public by exchanging a kiss.

Diana is wearing just the skirt of the blue floral suit she wore on June 16.

Photos: 1,2,4,5, and 6: Tim Graham/Getty Images;
3. Royal Style Wars by Lesley Ebbetts (no photographer credited); 7.Lionel Cherruault
Old 08-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Aristocracy

July 21, 1985. (Thanks to Canadiana for the date.)

Photos: 1.Homer Sykes/Alamy; 2.Arthur Edwards; 3.Slim Aarons/Getty Images
Old 08-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Aristocracy

July 28, 1985. I've always thought this was a very pretty dress. Diana wore it also for several official engagements.

Photos: 1.Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide, Jayne and Terry Fincher; 2.Aasta; 3.Daily Mail archives; 4.Lionel Cherruault; 5.Richard Slade/Camera Press
Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Nobility

Umbrellagirl, Thank you for doing such a fabulous job, including posting these in order I also like that you offer a few good views of the same day.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you, Lady Jean.
This is my summer project. It reminds me of the scrapbooks I attempted years ago, where I pulled together all the pictures I could find from one day from various books and magazines.
I gave up doing the scrapbooks when I kept finding more and more new photos over the years. So now I'm back at it here on the Forums.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Aristocracy

Nov. 3, 1985. Polo in Australia. Diana wore the same dress to polo on June 29. But in Australia, she also wore her "D" pendant.

Photos: 1,2,6: "1985 Royal Tour Special Souvenir" (an Australian booklet -- no photographers credited); 3,4: Tim Graham/Getty Images; 5,7: APL/Tim Graham; 8: Tim Graham in "Diana: An Extraordinary Life" (no author, Orbis Publishing); 9: Tim Graham in "In Private-In Public" by Alistair Burnet; 10: "Royal Style Wars" by Lesley Ebbetts (no photographer credited)

I hope I haven't gone too overboard here. There was such an embarrassment of riches -- so many great photos from this day. I tried to limit them, believe it or not.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Gentry

Umbrellagirl,
Great pictures!
I also tried to do scrapbooks and had the same problem! Now I do it all on the computer, much easier to add new ones! LOL!! So nice to know that there are others out there who manage their collections in a similar manner!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrellagirl
I hope I haven't gone too overboard here. There was such an embarrassment of riches -- so many great photos from this day. I tried to limit them, believe it or not.
I don't think any of us will be complaining about too many Diana pictures. You are doing a wonderful job with this thread Umbrellagirl.

I'm just going to add a few polo pics from July 1 1984 (Diana's 23rd birthday).

Photos: D. Levinson, Hello Magazine, J. Fincher, Royalty Magazine

Old 08-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

And July 29th 1984 (Charles & Diana's 3rd anniversary). Diana must have really felt comfortable in this dress, because she wore it to polo three times in that summer.

Photo: Life Magazine

Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

Squidgy, Thanks for the additional pink dress polo photos. I wasn't sure about dating those, except for the June 7 occasion when Diana wore the white cardigan.

And please forgive me for not noticing that you had also posted two photos from June 18, 1985, one of which I repeated, cropped slightly differently. By the time I noticed the oversight, it was too late to edit my post.:unhappy:
Old 08-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Aristocracy

Nov. 5, 1985, the Melbourne Cup, Australia. This is not polo, but it is a horsy event. I'm including it here mainly because it gives me a chance to post one of my all-time favorite Diana photos, the first one.

Photos: 1.Lionel Cherruault; 2.Illustrated London News, Jan. '86; 3.Tim Graham in "In Private -- In Public"; 4. and 5."1985 Royal Tour Special Souvenir (an Australian booklet); 6."Debrett's Illus. Fashion Guide" ( J. and T. Fincher); 7."Royal Style Wars" by Lesley Ebbetts

Tags
diana princess of wales, pictures, polo, princess diana