Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it will follow Harry for very many British citizens, until his death. I don't know why people on here get so upset about the belief, for many in the UK, IMO (no I haven't spoken to them all:D), it is taken as fact that Hewitt is Harry's biological father.:

I have to agree with Skydragon, living in England but temporarily abroad, I have always found that most British people believe that Harry is Hewitt´s son and this is the important part - they couldn´t care less.
They accept it, they do not get indignant about it, and that is that.
They all wish Harry well and accept him as Prince Charles does as the grandson of the Queen so I really can´t understand the indignation that seems to appear about this abroad. If the British believe it and don´t get upset why should anyone else?

people will believe what they want to believe. :flowers:
On that note we will leave the discussion here rather than continue to go round in ever decreasing circles rehashing the same arguments over and over.
If anyone comes up with conclusive proof one way or the other (such as the results of a certified DNA test) they are free to reopen the discussion.

Pending that unlikely event, and in the absence of any further public statements by the [living] parties concerned, the thread should resume the topic of Diana and James Hewitt, rather than Prince Harry and James Hewitt.

thanks
Warren
British Forums moderator

Hewitt seems so skeevy now, but he must have been something sparkly before, in the 1980s. Does anyone know if he was considered by his fellow officers to be a decent fellow before he started blabbing, or was he always considered a bit of a git?

That's an interesting question. All we really know is what he's said himself, and what Diana said. Of course when things were going well between them she would have been glowing about him...

I would assume that once a cad, always a cad. But maybe poverty and the lure of money changed him?

Extracts from the foreword Captain Rupert Mackenzie-Hill, The Life Guards, wrote for Hewitt's "Love and War", 21.7.99:

"A fairly consistent description by those who knew him during any part of his fifteen years in the Army is of a capable, charismatic leader, respected and universally liked....................I've seen a man at the top of his career - picked amongst fellow officers to lead what was to be the only unit from our regiment to see front-line action during the Gulf Conflict. I was with him during that conflict when he was nicknamed 'Ice Man' for the extraordinary coolness and quiet, capable manner with which he led us into Iraq to take part in over 60 separate contacts with the then enemy, for which he was Mentioned in Despatches for his courage in action."

"I've watched James' ranking as public enemy rise to the number one slot - right up there with Saddam himself. I've watched his life being destroyed by the effects of bad publicity, by the back-turning of people who believed what they read in the papers - the public, some friends and a few influential senior officers in his regiment, a regiment to which he was and still is devoted. I know a little about the isolation and of the level of despair to which James sank and the effect this had on his family. I've read the hate mail and I've watched the newspapers manipulate the facts and ruthlessly hound a sensitive, courageous and honourable man like the pack of cackling hyenas they can at times be".

"(About the book) If you read between the lines, I hope you will see evidence of the goodness in the man and the inherent evil of the 'gutter' press. A press that thrives on sensationalism for its own commercial ends and that seems capable of talking about people only as either extremely nice, or as extremely nasty. And if you talk to any of the many people who know James well, you will find they will side with the decent guy description."

:previous:
Roslyn,
Thank you for taking the time to type extracts from the foreward of Hewitt's book. Captain Rupert Mackenzie-Hill summed up the press very nicely. :flowers:

All anyone can do is give their own opinion of James Hewitt and as we know, that is not acceptable to many, whether it is prefaced with IMO or not.

It really wouldn't matter to some, whether he was a gentleman, (until what he possibly saw as his betrayal by the woman he loved), he will always be condemned. If he speaks up he is sleezy, creepy, nasty, if he stays silent, he is still portrayed as something on the bottom of a shoe.

I respect the work that he's done as a soldier. Absolutely. But in regard to the Diana business, I think that he should have kept his own council.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
His legacy is that of a shameless cad.

He doesn't have a legacy, last time I saw him he was on Top Gear and even Jeremy and Richard did not know who he was.

Ah the rat is back... classy as always.

I respect the work that he's done as a soldier. Absolutely. But in regard to the Diana business, I think that he should have kept his own council.:flowers:

Why, he was intimately involved and therefore, qualifying this as "Diana's business" won't work. Some folks just can't face the truth about Diana and demonize him but not her.

As for the "pronographic" photos -- isn't this commonplace these days? Isn't the site she signed up with one of those where the women stipulate what amount of "sugar" they want for their "companionship?" Could she be someone who wants their 15 minutes of fame? If you read the entire article, she continued an online relationship for over a month. This woman is a predator.

I'm not condoning anyone's actions, but looking at things objectively is something I do.

How do people demonize Hewitt? He's a man who tries to make money off of his affair with a woman who's no longer alive? If people don't respect him that's his fault not Diana's.

I think that Diana shouldn't have had extra-maritial affairs. I think that it's a terrible thing to do, even if the other spouse has cheated as well. However, it was wrong of Hewitt to make money from his relationship with Diana. It was wrong of him to read her letters to his fellow-soldiers in Iraq. It was wrong of him to attempt to sell them later. Have you seen the clip of the documentary where he says a very rude thing about Diana as a sexual partner?

Why, he was intimately involved and therefore, qualifying this as "Diana's business" won't work. Some folks just can't face the truth about Diana and demonize him but not her.

James is a cad. Sorry its my opinion.

Diana was very wrong to have an affair. Two wrongs (the affairs of Chalres and Camilla) dont' make one right. HOWEVER,

James has definitely attempted to make a buck of Diana. I admit that the tabloid interest in him was too much and might have affected his career, but he could have handled it better. Making comments about Diana and sex, TACKY. Feeding into the theory that he is possible Harry's Father..TACKY. When he previously said he wasn't and the affair didn't start to later is very TACKY. If he is Harry's father (and I don't believe it for a second) then either make a legit claim with your son, or be quiet. Who wants their child to have that cloud over them all the time. TACKY. If its not your son, why would you make the claim, again letting a cloud be over an innocent child/man. TACKY.

He could have an affair lived with the memories (good and bad), etc. But he didn't. TACKY.

Last edited:
Very well put, Zonk.

I'm suprised from the Story of a Princess Documentary he seemed like a good guy, appearances are decieving.

I think James Hewitt is worst than a CAD. He never could make a living after the military got rid of him. What makes me angry is that he not only hurt Diana, Princess of Wales reputation, but Prince Henry's reputation as well.:sad:

Yes, exactly. No matter how much Harry looks like the Spencers and the Mountbattens and the Windsors as he ages, there'll be those who look at his red hair and wonder. Personally, I think that Harry's getting to look more and more like Prince Philip as he ages. :flowers:

Yes, exactly. No matter how much Harry looks like the Spencers and the Mountbattens and the Windsors as he ages, there'll be those who look at his red hair and wonder. Personally, I think that Harry's getting to look more and more like Prince Philip as he ages. :flowers:

There is a photo of Philip's father aged about 3 or 4 and one of Harry at about the same age and they look very similar to me.

Personally I see Philip as the strongest likeness for both William and Harry - they are both Mountbattens.

When?

I'm sorry if this has been talked about it before, but when did the affair start?
I know it started after Harry's birth but is it known when?

1986. Diana was taking riding lessons from Hewitt for awhile before the actual affair started, but I'm not sure when she started the lessons.

I'm sorry if this has been talked about it before, but when did the affair start?

Yes, agreed, although I think that Harry's red hair is Spencer, and William looked a great deal like his grandfather Spencer when he was younger. Their body shape and ambition in their careers is very much Mountbatten, I think.

Personally I see Philip as the strongest likeness for both William and Harry - they are both Mountbattens.

1986. Diana was taking riding lessons from Hewitt for awhile before the actual affair started, but I'm not sure when she started the lessons.

Thanks! I knew about the riding lessons, but I wasn't sure about the year!

Diana and Hewitt started their affair in 1986, as did Charles and Camilla (assuming that Diana can be trusted as she is the source for these dates).

Diana and Hewitt started their affair in 1986, as did Charles and Camilla (assuming that Diana can be trusted as she is the source for these dates).

I think it is safe to assume that know one wants to be entirely honest about the exact dates because it makes one person look bad if they "stepped out" first. So everyone says "around this time" so you get the idea of the affair with out too much of the blame game.

Recently, Hewitt has claimed that the affair started much earlier...before Harry's birth.

I don't know how reliable a source he is.

(Previously he had always denied the possibility that he could be Harry's father, but lately he has been waffling on that. No one really knows, and no one will know unless there is DNA testing and that is unlikely to happen).

We are not going to speculate on Harry's parentage.

Back
Top Bottom