The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

A biased article at its best : she was the victim, he was evil and the BRF even worse blah blah blah.... and was probably murdered at the end (see the comments).
Nothing new i'm afraid (sigh)
But wait a minute, of course we are in August ! The christmas period for all the Diana related books/articles/gossips/garbage. Just make a wish and Richard Kay will appear with a good story: how fun !
Next year will be worse though...

Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Diana will have been dead for twenty years next year. Gone too soon, and I still think about her sometimes. Her sons might do something to mark the anniversary.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Majesty

Wasn't it around this time (1989) that Diana had broken up with Hewitt and had taken up with James Gilbey? If she wasn't in a relationship of her own at that time, she might have been feeling more lonely than usual--hence the attempt to confront Camilla.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

She dumped Hewitt when he returned from the Middle East in 1991.

She also was with Gilbey in 1989.

In other words she was having two affairs at the same time.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

So there wasn't much "Charles and Diana" left by then (re: title of this thread) or to paraphrase Laurel and Hardy "that's a nice mess they had gotten themselves into"
Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Ultimately Diana craved stability and for someone to love her forever, no matter what. Marrying the, 'only man in England who can never divorce me' seemed to be a good idea at the time.

LaRae
That's true, and I think, even more that Diana had no taste for country life. Certainly not at 19 or 20.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
That's true, and I think, even more that Diana had no taste for country life. Certainly not at 19 or 20.
I don't see that she had no taste for country life....I don't think she had a taste for life in the country with the BRF (seasonally) and of course as things broke down she desired even less to be in a house full of the BRF at the same time.

LaRae
Old 08-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

I've not seen any taste for country life in her. She didn't care for country sports, She was bored stiff at places like Balmoral where it rains all the time and there's nothing to do if you aren't into walking or shooting..
I don't think she liked Highgrove all that much and only brought the kids there, as time went on, and then stayed in her room most of the weekend...
Im sure that if at 20 or so she had met some farmer type of guy who offered her a life in the country, with a farm or estate and a life of taking the kids to the pony club, and walking through the mud in her wellies, she would have NOT been interested! Maybe when she was older...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think she wanted it all to end. How can one do it when one was in too deep?
What did she want to end? Her marriage? Her affair with J Hewitt? Charles' affair with Camilla?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, think, and it is just opinion, if Charles had stopped seeing and caring about Camilla, she would have dropped what she was doing and worked into the idea of putting together the marriage. Camilla wasn't an affair, she was the love of his life. No woman will put up with that.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Majesty

From what I remember, she cooled it with Hewitt for awhile but got in touch with him again when he went to the Gulf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She dumped Hewitt when he returned from the Middle East in 1991.

She also was with Gilbey in 1989.

In other words she was having two affairs at the same time.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I, think, and it is just opinion, if Charles had stopped seeing and caring about Camilla, she would have dropped what she was doing and worked into the idea of putting together the marriage. Camilla wasn't an affair, she was the love of his life. No woman will put up with that.
If you mean Diana, yes I think that if Charles had stopped Seeing Camilla, Di would have given up any man she was with (perhaps not immediately) but she would have given the marriage another try, but I think it woudl still have failed. Not so much because Cam was loved by Charles but because he and Diana just didn't hit it off...
ANd I think that Charles did love Cam, and it was hard for him to give her up and even if he had say broken off thte affair with her in the late 80s, he would still have thought about her. By the later 80s Im not sure if Di had matured enough to make the best of her marriage.. maybe, she had. But I think even if Camill had broken with Charles and moved to Austraila, Charles would have always had some feelings for her..and it would not have changed the fact that he and Diana had little in common and had differnet opposing temperaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
From what I remember, she cooled it with Hewitt for awhile but got in touch with him again when he went to the Gulf.
She and Hewitt broke up in I think 88/89 or so because he had insisted on going to Germany for some army training and she had wanted him to stay home. She was flirting with J Gilbey, then when she had that phone call with him, that was overheard. Im not sure if she and he were lovers, I think she confided in him and he wanted to take the affair further but I dont think that Diana was so much involved as he was...
Then when Hewitt was posted to the Gulf, she and he renewed their affair for a while.. but I think she grew nervous about his indiscretion and broke off with him...
In her call to Gilbey she refers to J Hewitt as costing her a fortune, and as if the affair were over and she had grown cool on him.. I think she had cared about Hewitt, but had found that he was pretty shallow and selfish, and had been hurt and angry that he insisted on leaving for Germany.. Then when he was in danger in the Gulf she had a bit of renewal of emotion towards him, but He was untrustworthy, and had been throwing out hints to journalists about his affair and she must have been scared that he would go further, esp if offered money..

I think that if in the late 80s Diana and Chas had decided to give their marriage another go, it would only have worked if they had really lowered their expectations. I think that Diana would have had to accept that she was never probalby going to be as cared for By Charles as he had for Camilla.. and that he'd always have a torch for her. And they would both have had to accept that they had not got much in common and that they woudl have to watch their tempers etc and perhaps not spend a lot of time togehter but try and find some common interests and make the best of them, rather than hoping for "great love."
Old 08-09-2016, 02:10 AM
Heir Apparent

In other words their entire temperaments would have had to change. I agree that with very adaptable, pragmatic, rather placid people, settling for that sort of marriage might have worked.

However, neither Charles nor Diana were very adaptable and Diana wasn't the sort of woman who would have thought to herself "Well, out of sight out of mind. Camilla's in Australia and we are never likely to see her again except momentarily perhaps if she turns up at a reception on tour. Must make sure we aren't at Highgrove when she and Andrew have a holiday in England."

Diana was the sort who would have been torturing herself night and day even if Camilla was at the other ends of the earth, if she'd died, even. 'Does he still think about her? Does he phone her sometimes in Australia? I wonder whether somehow they're writing to each other?'

She wouldn't have been able to let sleeping dogs lie and so it would never have worked, IMHO!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
in my opinion, P.Charles is not the emotional kind (none of the BRF, imo) and would have put his official marriage first (as is your "duty" when you marry); imo he did end things with Camilla before Diana was in the picture and didn't intend to go back to Camilla and really intended to make things work with Diana.
However, the difference in personality between Diana and Charles were that large that neither even understood where the other one was coming from, and gradually the drifted more apart instead of coming closer.

And if you're in a situation like that, i can imagine you try to find strength and support with people who do understand you, and they both did; it doesn't matter who actually ended up with who first physically, they both drifted away simultanously...

Had they only known eachother better before the marriage, I think the difference in personalities would have turned out too big, but I'm glad they did get together because I think P.William and Harry are the best of both worlds and are great assets to the BRF.

just my 2 cts
Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Serene Highness

I woudnt agree about Will and Harry, but I think that you're right in the main..

I don't believe that Charles is unemotional, per se. I think he does not SHOW his emotions much, but that does not mean he doesn't have them and I think he loved Camilla deeply in a quiet "good friends" way always. (And there was a sexual passion).
but I agree that he DID end things with her and intended to make a good marriage with Diana and make things work. I think he was fond of her and very attracted to her physicially and he was willing to "fall in love" in his way, even if she was never quite the same to him as Camilla. But of course he didn't know her well.. and he didn't realise I think how much strain marriage put her under and how OTT she would become once that strain hit.
I think that there were fragilities In Diana's mind and psychology that marriage "opened up", probably her fears of ending up like her parents.. and the enormous public strain of being on show all the time.. it all cracked her wide open...

SO I think from very early on, it was hard for him to give up thinking of Camilla and wondering why on earth Di was so upset and tearful and angry all the time..why she didn't seem to like things she had liked before they married, why she was so stubbornly unwilling to learn about things, either his intellectual interests or even the work she had to do...
So I'm sure he thought about Cam a lot and probably phoned up at times to talk to someone who understood him and who was cheerful and not in tears...
and of course that impacted on the marriage to Diana. And she was the type who would always problaby find it hard to put aside jealousy.. SHe was problaby always sure that Charles was thinking of Camilla, phoning her.. Soon it was "hes probably sneaking off to see her"...and "oh why do we live so close to the bloody woman, he is problably off with her right now when he says he's gone to a business meeting in X"...

And that often drives a husband or wife to infidelity.. They get so fed up of being accused of being unfaithful or "still in love with an old girlfriend" that in the end they DO go and sleep with them...

when you add bulimia to that, and post natal depresson, it si hardly surprising that it was a hell of a difficult relationship for anyone to negotiate...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
In other words their entire temperaments would have had to change. I agree that with very adaptable, pragmatic, rather placid people, settling for that sort of marriage might have worked.

She wouldn't have been able to let sleeping dogs lie and so it would never have worked, IMHO!
I was working on the idea that if they said "lets give things another go, let's put aside our other lovers, make some changes, see a marriage guidance counslloer"
But I agree that I think ti would stil have been unlikely to work. I think that by the later 80s they had gotten angry with each other, it was hard to even be pleasant.. And If Say Cam had gone abroad, and Diana had say Given up Hewitt.. I think in the end they would have been back in the same mess again, even if they tried. (and I think they both WOULD try).

Diana was older, Diana had developed by then. She had new interests that were more and more unlike the RF's.. She was into keep fit, tennis, charities like AIDS. She had an urban lifestyle and friends In the Celeb world that she enjoyed seeing. She was trying in her way to learn about things, took her charity work more and more seriously... but she did it HER way not their way.

Charles ad the RF remained old fashioned and country oriented.
I can sort of imagine Diana watching Charles digging in the garden and telling her the Latin names of flowers and plants and her struggling to maintain a show of interest...
And I suspect that they would still iriritate each other and there would be arguments that she'd promised to go to a flower show and here she was all dressed up to go for lunch in town with Tim Nice but Dim.. and Or that he had promised to go to an Aids Ballet benefit and he was trying to get out of it and watch a play on TV...
and I think that in time they would botht have ended up confiding in a new friend who might well become a lover..
Maybe Charles would not find a woman who was as close to him as Camilla, if Cam were out of the picture, but I think he would certainly be likely to find someone to talk to, who shared his interests.. and who sympathised. And Diana too, I think in the early years of her marriage, she confided in Barry Manakee, even if there was not any affair going on but the need to have someone kindly and supportive, who understands and shares some of the things you like, and who can offer sympathy when you are unhappy in a marriage, is strong...
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe otherwise; that neither could or would try in an effective way to work it out.
Many have posted here about Diana's inability to be in a marriage without "love" as she saw it. She could not share her husband. And I don't think any amount of counseling would have led her away from that need.
And Charles was not inclined to see himself as the problem. In fact, he appeared unable to understand what romantic love had to do with a mature royal marriage. I always thought he saw marriage for show in his business. He completely understood that the only relationships that could be secure and also support him we those with a tight group of friends, with whom Diana did not fit for many reasons.
They wanted different and incompatible things from marriage. Counseling would not change that. JMO.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

I don't believe that Charles was as "cold blooded" as you appear to. I think he wasn't deeply in love with Diana but he was fond of her and hoped that their marriage would be a happy one..
And if they had "tried again" I would expect that he would have stopped seeing Camilla and Diana would have broken with any boyfriend she had. But I agree that I don't believe it would have worked, with the best of intentions...
Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

How Diana undertook a series of ill-fated affairs* | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

What's going on? This book is old. Why is it being re-issued? Is there new material in this version?

I'm the first to enjoy a good account of Diana's affairs and her hypocrisy, but I don't understand why the same material is being repeated now, so many years later.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
What's going on? This book is old. Why is it being re-issued? Is there new material in this version?

I'm the first to enjoy a good account of Diana's affairs and her hypocrisy, but I don't understand why the same material is being repeated now, so many years later.
Here's a clue : we are in august.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana