Princess Caroline‘s Role in Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they would be Baron/Baroness but I don't think they want the titles either. They couldn't use the Casiraghi name which is very important to them.

If one day Prince Albert decide to give the Casiraghi Trio a title, what title will he choose for them? Baron, Count, Marquis, Duke ect ??? After all the De Massy receive a title from prince Rainier (Same question for the children of Stéphanie but I doubt they want to (or will) be titled one day :lol: )

The title of Baronne de Massy was a personal title given to Princess Antoinette in order to give her children a surname. My understanding has always been that the title was not hereditary and that it is wrong to refer to Christian as Baron de Massy.

Charlotte Casiraghi's car?

Does anyone know what car she drives? Or what was her first car? I've heard it was a VW...?

So did Pierre ever graduate or what? I'm hearing conflicting stories on this.

Valentine and Felix both work in their family's businesses, just like Charlotte. They are not required to be in the public eye like Charlotte. It is part of her job as a representative for Monaco. She said in the Paris Vogue interview that she has assigned duties from her Uncle but not so much that she isn't able to follow her own interests also. Compared to other royals she has accomplished quite alot for age 25. She has started 2 limited edition magazines, has a riding career and a discreet modeling career (although she wouldn't admit it). I'm guessing she gets top model fees to wear brands like Chanel and Gucci. She obviously has an effect on sales or the 3 editors of Vogue, especially Paris and Italian wouldn't be hanging all over her.I don't think she is uncomfortable with herself. She is uncomfortable with the way the press portrays her. Her mother and grandmother complained about the same thing.

Valentine and Felix both work in their family's businesses, just like Charlotte. They are not required to be in the public eye like Charlotte. It is part of her job as a representative for Monaco. She said in the Paris Vogue interview that she has assigned duties from her Uncle but not so much that she isn't able to follow her own interests also. Compared to other royals she has accomplished quite alot for age 25. She has started 2 limited edition magazines, has a riding career and a discreet modeling career (although she wouldn't admit it). I'm guessing she gets top model fees to wear brands like Chanel and Gucci. She obviously has an effect on sales or the 3 editors of Vogue, especially Paris and Italian wouldn't be hanging all over her.I don't think she is uncomfortable with herself. She is uncomfortable with the way the press portrays her. Her mother and grandmother complained about the same thing.

Why would she? The press sells her as a smart girl, as beautiful as her grandmother, as clever as a Nobel prize. I don't understand why she should be uncomfortable with this image, which is the one she wants to have.
I don't agree with the image you present of Charlotte: I think that she hasn't done anything for Monaco: posing without a smile at the balcony for National day, appearing at Rose Ball, appearing at a very few other manifestations, it's not a lot, and it's not hard working.
And all the things she does (riding, editing) are not the result of hard working, it's just a hobby. I agree about modelling. She refuses to recognize it, but maybe it is the only serious thing she does: being paid for wearing some clothes at parties. And this is not the result of her work, it's only because she's Grace Kelly's granddaughter, and Caroline's daughter. Charlotte has done nothing concrete by herself, and even if some 25 year old ones haven't done better, we all know that most people have already accomplished serious things at her age. I don't know if the french proverb "quand on veut on peut" exists in english, but I would conlude my post by translating it: when you really want, you can.

Valentine and Felix both work in their family's businesses, just like Charlotte. They are not required to be in the public eye like Charlotte. It is part of her job as a representative for Monaco. She said in the Paris Vogue interview that she has assigned duties from her Uncle but not so much that she isn't able to follow her own interests also. Compared to other royals she has accomplished quite alot for age 25 (...)

Well, first of all, Charlotte is not a royal, as we all know. Second, her public obligations are things like appearint in monaco for the national day, de F-1 Gran prix, a couple of lunches and a couple of photos wearing an uniform, nothing else.
She is a private person with a private life.
I refuse to believe that she appears modelling in Vogue because she is a representative of Monaco! None of ther siblings or cousins do anything like that!

And I'd say she's accomplished nearly nothing for someone who is already 25 and has all the advantages she has. She didn't even finish her studies. She is an average amateur rider (translation: she has a hobby). She wrote half a piece for the Independent half a century ago. Period.
Seriously, outside the superficial socialite world she moves in, it's difficult to find someone who's achieved so little at 25!

^ Trepstep, it's funny to see that we wrote the same thing at the same time!! Les grands esprits se rencontrent!! :lol::lol:

Well, i guess that FanofMonaco mentioned that she doesn't feel uncomfortable with her image coz i was the "cause". And this because in my latest post i wrote "And this thought came to my mind when i read the Vogue interview, which i found all pretendious. When you pretend, it means that you don't feel nice with yourself, you don't feel self-confident and you already recognize that you don't like the way you show yourself.." If you read my post you'll understand why i said that.

I feel that Cahrlotte really wants to do sth in her life but she can't find what to do. She started riding all of a sudden when she had stopped it. I don't say that's bad. That was a good begining for her. Okay. But i see no try. She doesn't convince me that she loves horse riding but in her statements she says she wants to go to the Olympics! Even Zara Phillips hasn't given such a great attention to tell the press about her riding skills! And Zara Phillips has every right to do it as a professional, capable, good rider.

I don't want to recycle the words of LovelyKate and trepstrep about the lot's of things that a 25 year old person can manage to do! I have said that in some previous posts long ago. In our 25 years we are mature enough to decide what we really want to do in our life. That;s the age when we have passions and many interests and we want to achieve in what we do.

Last edited:
Charlotte's duties aren't just appearing at events in Monaco. Monaco's whole marketing image is based on glamour. By appearing at fashions shows, art gallery openings, riding, doing interviews in magazines like Vogue and Elle she is soft selling Monaco as a glamorous place with a glamorous family. Her grandmother and mother did exactly the same thing. The problem is the women of Monaco don't like being perceived as empty headed socialites so they try to counteract it. Theytry to counteract it by controlling the interview but that doesn't really work either. The media is committed to the fairytale and oversell everything. I don't think Charlotte is trying to come accross as an intellectual or a better rider than she really is. She just doesn't want to be perceived as a shallow socialite.

Am I the only business major on this blog? That is one of the things that fascinates me about Monaco; what good business people they are. Their only assets are the sun, the sea and the royal family but they have leveraged those assets to the maximum effect. The US on the other hand has abundant assets and has managed to waste most of them.

Again Trep Step and Lovely Kate you two mostly assume the worst and I am overly optimistic about Charlotte. I have a feeling the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Charlotte is like a marionette who is moved by the big sponsors in order to sell. By giving to a magazine like Vogue an interview she shows she wants publicity and glamour. If she didn't want to be in the limelight she would manage her profile very differently. And she is contradictory when she goes to some full of press events with her shallow friends but then she claims she wants to avoid the socialite.
And about the horse riding thing.. well, there have been and will be many Great riders on earth, but really, it's the first time i see such a push and publicity for Charlotte the Rider.

Charlotte's duties aren't just appearing at events in Monaco. Monaco's whole marketing image is based on glamour. By appearing at fashions shows, art gallery openings, riding, doing interviews in magazines like Vogue and Elle she is soft selling Monaco as a glamorous place with a glamorous family. Her grandmother and mother did exactly the same thing. The problem is the women of Monaco don't like being perceived as empty headed socialites so they try to counteract it. Theytry to counteract it by controlling the interview but that doesn't really work either. The media is committed to the fairytale and oversell everything. I don't think Charlotte is trying to come accross as an intellectual or a better rider than she really is. She just doesn't want to be perceived as a shallow socialite.

Am I the only business major on this blog? That is one of the things that fascinates me about Monaco; what good business people they are. Their only assets are the sun, the sea and the royal family but they have leveraged those assets to the maximum effect. The US on the other hand has abundant assets and has managed to waste most of them.

Again Trep Step and Lovely Kate you two mostly assume the worst and I am overly optimistic about Charlotte. I have a feeling the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I agree with this entire post. I think that a lot of people on this forum assume the worst about Charlotte (or at least think more about the negative than the positive), and other people only like to see the good in her. I agree that Charlotte, like everyone, has good and bad qualities, but it does get tiring scrolling through negative post after negative post. So, FanofMonaco, I appreciate your optimism! I also think you are correct when you talk about what good business people the Princely Family are. Glamour is what they sell and, they sell it well.

Not a business major but I do something related to PR and I completely agree! Charlotte stands out among her siblings and other Grimaldi grandkids because she looks so much like her mother, she's the eldest granddaughter of Rainier and Grace Kelly and at a perfect age to be featured in high fashion magazines, and is gorgeous. She's also been hounded by the paps since she was a child for these reasons and more. Her life is unreal. What's is supposed to be 'normal' for someone like her? I think it strange that we judge normalcy by our standards--riding buses, etc. when just the opposite might be true for her.

Charlotte also seems to lean towards the creative side. I'm not making excuses here, because I am always frustrated with privileged kids who don't deliver, but when you're interested in fashion, writing, philosophy and just basically have a lot of interests and passions and you're drowning in a sea of opportunity, it seems more understandable that she hasn't sunk her teeth into any one field yet. I know those into the social science/creative areas, as opposed to those into hard sciences, usually seem indecisive unless they're completely confident in their abilities, say writing, in which case they can be single-minded. The difficulty of charting one's course comes from being only relatively good at most things but not really exceptional in one thing... and when opportunity abounds, aimlessness can come easily. But I ramble and digress. :D

Anyway I think that in her case, a 'normal' life, the way we interpret it at least, would be as much pretense as a life in the spotlight is to normal people like us. I suspect she'll be one of those celebrities who will always be on the appropriate fashion or otherwise scene, looking cool, glamorous, important or beautiful depending on the occasion and always appearing effortless. And yet hard working in a way us normal people will perhaps never completely grasp how much the appearance of effortlessness and a well-thought out, overbooked social calendar requires hard work. Then of course we wont fully understand too how all these carefully planned appearances and vague job description for a fashion brand and most significantly for Brand Monaco will be earning her lots of money at the same time. This strange career she will use to further the interests of her family, that, of course, made such a career possible in the first place! That, according to my crystal ball, will be her future! :D

Last edited:

You're right:flowers:
You're the big optimistic and we are the pessimistic ones! Looks like we are impersonating all the old clichés about optimistic america and blasé europe.

Anyway, I love disagreing with you, you're always so nice and polite!:flowers:

I think it is fake because I don't think that is Charlotte's real personality. She seems to be shy and prefers reading her books, riding and living in a small town. She is just trying to do her job to promote Monaco, the GCT and the fashion industry. That's what she has been raised to do. Since she is beautiful and from a noble family everyone wants to be associated with her. If she were ugly she would have alot more freedom to do what she wants. Even Charlotte doesn't have total control over her life. She has been smart in trying to combine things she enjoys with her Monaco promotion duties. I doubt she could have a normal job because she is basically on call to PA. Could you see her saying " I can't teach today because I have to go to the Rose Ball" or attend National Day? or" my uncle wants to me to be on the cover of Vogue so I have to take off 3 days for a photoshoot"? She has cancelled several riding competitions or done poorly because of other appearances she has had to make this year. eg. Meeting the Emir of Qatar at the race track. It would be very rude to refuse. Monaco and Qatar have very good relations and Qatar is helping finance some of Monaco's projects. Alot of things she does seem like play to us, but it is work to her. Things she might not choose to do if she had the choice.

Last edited:
I don't buy the idea that she promotes Monaco or that the palace is using her to promote Monaco. I think she promotes Gucci and herself. The fashion shows and photoshoots give her something to do and fill in time as well as earning her some money of her own. I doubt if too many people outside of these boards know or care that she is a cousin of the Prince of Monaco.
I cannot see any real reason why she could not have a "real" job should she chose to. Attending the Rose Ball or National Day are not valid reasons not to have a full time job. IMO being a socialite is what she seems to want, flitting from one fashion show or party to the next, with the occassional horse show in between.

Last edited:
About Charlotte: I think she should focus in something. She seems to really like horseriding, she loves horses. I don't see her smile very often, and when she is in riding circuits she seems very comfortable.
I would like her to focus in something, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
A last little post about THE topic that is being so controversial. I am under the impression that my posst (and I dare say the same thing happens with other critical posters) give away the idea that I (we) dislike who Charlotte is or the life she leads. Not at all.
As I said before I find both her and her siblings extraordinarely mature (even a little too much, as someone else said, they are a bit too young to have such serious long relationships) and balanced. They have the looks, the fame and the money. They could be making fools of themselves around the world like a Paris Hilton. And they don't.

I don't understand people who criticize Charlotte because she uses the money and contacts she's inherited. Of couse she does! As everybody would! I think it is a bit unrealistic and hypocrital to pretend for her to do things the hard way and on her own. Why should she if she doesn't need it?
I also like the fact that she attends so many parties and social events. More chances for us to see her new clothes! And she must have fun! Why wouldn't she wear wonderful clothes and attend lavish parties!

I's only the gap between the real girl and the image she tries to portray, that bothers me. I don't know wether she tries to fool the public or herself, but that she is certainly trying to sell an image taht doesn't correspond with reality. Shouting out her non-achievements in horse riding, her intellectual non-achievemts, her invisible environemental compromise, proclaiming that she doesn't care about certain things and then being spotted in the airport reading Paris-Match...

When you see her from afar she seems a nice, well grounded girl. The problem is the moment she speaks. That's when she sounds fake and pretentious. Maybe she should just stop trying to promote herself and keep on living her life and enjoying the many advantages she has.

Monaco has always conjured up the image of glamour, money,fame and success since Grace Kelly stepped foot on Monaco's soil. Grace first and then Caroline have both been great ambassors to their country. Now this legacy has passed on to Charlotte: She's the new ambassador of Monaco, because she's beautiful, glamourous, elegant, and she's the perfect successor to both Grace and Caroline. We - normal people - see her duties as hobbies, I mean attending parties, galas , magazine covers etc, but this is job for her. She's actually promoting the image of Monaco and helps build strong relationships with potential financial partners and so on.
This is her job, she is an extremely good " tool" to promote Monaco, and I don't see what's wrong with that.
She 's a heiress who could have lost her way and act all trashy and tacky like a Paris hilton but she's always been very prim and proper and behaved, no scandals or embarrassing things ever surfaced regarding Charlotte.
She may be not the most educated person on the face of the earth but I would not rule out the possibility that she's an avid reader.
So, this is just my two cents..

:previous: I agree - Monaco has the image of international glamour, tied to the worlds of fashion, Hollywood, other international kingdoms & principalities, as well as rich people - it's expected that many events the trio attend have to do with fashion, art, etc. I do not think that it makes any of them look stupid - they also do not offer public comment very often, so it's rare that we hear their opinion on things. I think - now that Prince Albert is married, and Princess Caroline still holds some charities & obligations - the trio won't be asked/expected to give hard-line interviews or get involved in head-of-state affairs.

I think the Casiraghis will increasingly be asked to attend these things because they are young and glamorous. Monaco doesn't just want to appeal to old people. Being young is part of being glamorous. This summer Pierre and Andrea have attended more events . Pierre has already moved back to Monaco and it sounds like Andrea will be moving back shortly; if he hasn't already.

I think the Casiraghis will increasingly be asked to attend these things because they are young and glamorous. Monaco doesn't just want to appeal to old people. Being young is part of being glamorous. This summer Pierre and Andrea have attended more events . Pierre has already moved back to Monaco and it sounds like Andrea will be moving back shortly; if he hasn't already.

I agree. They are appearing more than ever in magazines, and events. Rumors say that Andrea will be moving to Monaco to work as diplomatic. We'll see if it's true.
I thought Pierre was going to stay in NY with Beatrice. If anything, it's pretty sure they (the Casiraghis) will be back for National Day. I really want to see them there.
It was surprising to see Andrea in the pic nic this year, as well as hiking with his uncle for the Alpine Club centenary.

Andrea IS NOT in Monaco. He's studying for another master's degree in Barcelona, at the University of Barcelona until 2012, according to Wikipedia. He was last seen with Charlotte at the Tod's party in Paris during Fashion week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speculative posts about Prince Albert's marriage and future plans have been removed.

Andrea IS NOT in Monaco. He's studying for another master's degree in Barcelona, at the University of Barcelona until 2012, according to Wikipedia. He was last seen with Charlotte at the Tod's party in Paris during Fashion week.
I thought he was living in Paris?
Where did you get this info from? Sometimes wikipedia is not very reliable.
I'm glad that he is still studying.:)

Monaco has always conjured up the image of glamour, money,fame and success since Grace Kelly stepped foot on Monaco's soil. Grace first and then Caroline have both been great ambassors to their country. Now this legacy has passed on to Charlotte: She's the new ambassador of Monaco, because she's beautiful, glamourous, elegant, and she's the perfect successor to both Grace and Caroline. We - normal people - see her duties as hobbies, I mean attending parties, galas , magazine covers etc, but this is job for her. She's actually promoting the image of Monaco and helps build strong relationships with potential financial partners and so on.
This is her job, she is an extremely good " tool" to promote Monaco, and I don't see what's wrong with that.
She 's a heiress who could have lost her way and act all trashy and tacky like a Paris hilton but she's always been very prim and proper and behaved, no scandals or embarrassing things ever surfaced regarding Charlotte.
She may be not the most educated person on the face of the earth but I would not rule out the possibility that she's an avid reader.

So, this is just my two cents..
ABSOLUTELY AGREE TO ALL. The Casiraghis seems to accept their duties like their mother did 30 years ago. She took her mothers place perfectly contrary to Stephanie who nevet accepted and rose her kidd in the same way.

Please note that all posts about Charlotte dating someone other than Alex Dellal have been deleted as speculative.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

The newspaper El Pais has published a new piece about the Grimaldi family. This one focuses mainly on the casiraghi trio, so I thought this was the right place to post it.

It is well informed, which is rather unusual but I'd say that the writer twists her sentences a little bit to try to give a negative edge to the info.

Los nuevos Grimaldi no dan la talla

Google translation

Back
Top Bottom