William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't be wrong to have the feelings you have - they are your feelings.
I am ambivalent to Kate - she seems ok but she also comes across as a bit of a gold-digger, not in a money sense but in a status sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, even though I believe Wills and Kate will get married eventually, lately I've been having doubts about their relationship...
Actually, I feel much the same way as you. When I first heard that people were mocking Kate for "wanting to be a princess", I couldn't understand why people would go out of their way to hate her. Now, I certainly don't "hate" Kate or have feelings about her either way, but in the last couple of years I have started to wonder about her and William's relationship. They've been dating so long, yet it seems like there is no progress. I am not over-eager for William's wedding so I'm not sitting around wishing he'd hurry up and marry her for that reason; I just have started to wonder if he has strong feelings for Kate at all. After all, they did break up once, and there must have been some reason for it.

I actually think Kate does care about William, but for some reason I feel that she's more into him than he is, her. I have no idea if Kate is interested in William for the wrong reasons, though. Maybe she is a bit of a social climber and maybe she's just a sweet girl who met the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with and is waiting for him to propose. I guess I sense some kind of ambivalence on William's part, though, that like you I can't really put my finger on. It's not what I've seen in William's behaviour that makes me think this way...it's more what I haven't seen, but that I feel should be there after so many years of dating.

The truth is, we as members of the general public simply don't know these people at all... full stop. Therefore we cannot in all honesty put forward these very definite opinions as to the whole subject of their relationship. We can of course speculate all we want (and it's only human nature of course for the public to do this when dealing with famous people) about the ins and outs of the the entire subject, but we have to accept we do so without the remotest inside knowledge on the people in question - any why on earth SHOULD we have any inside knowledge.

Are there couples living near you who have been together for over five years and have yet to announce anything. Probably lots.... we all know of poeple like this. Do we sit back wondering all day long about what their plans are, if they are really suited, what their motives are.... of course we don't .... they are strangers to us... and its their business. They don't owe us any explanation as to their lives or plans. The same goes for William and Kate, two people who in reality are strangers to us, the public. We don't know them, they owe us no forward explanations at all.

He is royal, and she very soon will be, without a doubt. It will happen when it happens and of course we will all be excited about it, and follow every minute of it from begininng to end, because of their public profile, I think we just have to step back a bit from all the personal speculation about this couple...at the end of the day, it's their own business.

I think those unsure feelings are quite common to those who follow the royals. I feel that there are those Kate lovers and the Kate haters, two very small groups. The largest group I find are the ones who are unsure of her and ambivalent.

I think that the royals handled this relationship badly compared to others in the sense that Kate should have been hidden and protected more but who would have known Wills would meet his more than likely wife so soon.

I think originally everyone thought she'd be his University girl and he'd date others. No one could of guessed she'd more than likely be the 'one' for him resulting in this dreadfully long courtship. Now the public has seen too much of her and opinion, negative opinions, have formed. With others the courtship was so short there was no time to dislike her before she got the tiara. Why dislike the girl who will indefinetly be the Princess and eventual Queen? With Kate she never had the mystique and lure of being royal to gain support with the public.

Maybe once married this will change, but I still feel there's 3-4 years before that change comes.

Oh and a good example of why courtships are better for future Kings is Letizia. Could you imagine if the public knew of her for a year to two years and everyone got to weigh in on her divorce. They would've never married, but they kept it hidden and when announced some made a big deal about her divorce but at that point most didn't care. The ones are cared were drowned out by the ones who didn't. No one knew who Letizia was and was more inclined to look over her divorce in the spirit of a wedding. No opinions on her were formed so there was no backlash.

Letizia was well known because of her TV work.

Kate is a sensible girl and William does not want a wife similar to his mother. I believe that where she is wise is not giving interviews and I think she will be very much a background figure in her marriage.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I used to be very defensive towards Wills and Kate because of the haters. Some of those haters are obsessed in their hate for those two. Just go to YouTube and see how obsessed they can be.

But lately, I've been finding myself agreeing with some of what they say, mainly Kate's work ethic and her family's suspicious motives. There are some things that cannot be ignored.

As for William preferring a simple wife who would be a "background figure", that to me shows he's got a problem with sharing the spotlight. Look at Haakon, Felipe, Willem-Alexander. They have no problem with their wives being in the spotlight, even though it is them who will be on the thrones. I'd like to think William is not the jealous type when it comes to being the center of attention, like his father, but he just might be. How 19th century of him.

That wasn't what I met. William want's a wife who loves him. To be frank Diana loved the whole glamour thing and was brought down to earth with a bump when she actually realised the reality of what she had done.

I think that both William and Kate want a stable marriage and frankly what is wrong with Katherine wanting a career option of being a wife and mother. William is always going to be the centre of attention because of the role he has to play. Katherine isn't interesting in tring to emerge from his shadow.

Actually I think recent History would suggest that the male heir is put into the shadow of his wife when he marries rather than being the 'one' due to his position. I base this on what happened with Diana as well as what has happenen with Mary in Denmark, Mette-Marie (?) in Norway and the other Crown Princesses who seem to get the press and are seen as the stars rather than their husband who is, in fact the heir (or in William's case the heir to the heir). It seems that everyone goos over the little boys but when they grow it is the wife who garners the attention and the heir seems to lose out as people forget that their royal status, and that royal status of their children come through their father and not their mother.

Especially when Mette-Marit was a mother of one when she married, Letizia was a divorcee, Mathilde was aristocracy, Daniel Westling has been Victorias on/off boyfriend for years so thats got him alot of attention.

So........May 6th election according to Sky News !!!! Does that leave room for 2010 nuptuals

So........May 6th election according to Sky News !!!! Does that leave room for 2010 nuptuals

Local elections are May 6th, the general election date will not be announced until closer to June. When Gordon asks HM to dissolve parliament.

This is a minister suggesting a date. This is not the confirmed date. That will be announced when Gordon Brown goes to the Queen and asks her to dissolve the Parliament and that hasn't happened yet so no date is definite.

A May 6th election could see a wedding this year but William will be in the intensive training period so leaving Kate on her own...and after the usual five to six months engagement normal in Britain and October or November wedding.

This is the same sort of story that has been doing the rounds for the last 5 years or so.

William and Kate have been to Birkhall before with Charles - so nothing new there. She stays at his home in London so the idea that they had to go all the way to Birkhall for her to unburden herself doesn't hold up.

This is simple speculation, which has been doing the rounds of tabloid publications like this since at least 2005.

I really do think that Kate and Wills have a secret agreement, or he has proposed to her already and they are keeping it under their hats. I would hate to see Kate being dumped after so many years and William marrying someone fresh off the shelf...:whistling:

I must say I have also had the impression that Kate is far more keen on Willim than he is on her for quite a few years now. It's just an impression thing but I feel that he broke up with her a couple of years ago because of this but she made herself so available that he eventually fell back into the old pattern of being with her and has drifted along with her ever since. On the other hand I get the impression that Chelsey and Harry are equally mad about each other but that Chelsey has a very clear view of where she's going in life and Harry knows that if he dosn't treat her right she won't hesitate to go her own way. On paper Kate does seem ideal for William and I think he knows that to and that's why he's still with her but I don't detect that vital spark from him for her.

"Although Kate has met the Prince on several occasions, it was the first time she had spent any time with her future father-in-law."

Are they saying that in all this time, she has not spent anytime with him at all? Hasn't she spent the night at Clarence House? How is it possible that this true? If so, isn't that weird? :confused:

Its very weird and just shows that the papers dont in fact NO ANYTHING and just like repeating the same thing. I mean, she has only met Charles a few times yet is having breakfast with the Queen, is not having breakfast withthe Queen, is going to spend Christmas with the family, is not going to spend Christmas with the family, etc.

On the other hand I get the impression that Chelsey and Harry are equally mad about each other but that Chelsey has a very clear view of where she's going in life and Harry knows that if he dosn't treat her right she won't hesitate to go her own way. On paper Kate does seem ideal for William and I think he knows that to and that's why he's still with her but I don't detect that vital spark from him for her.

I also think Kate is an ideal princess and even future queen, on paper. She's pretty, polite, discreet, doesn't seem to court the media (to my eyes) and loyal. The only thing I'm not sure about is if she's right for William.

Well, William, how about an engagement announcement for granny's return from New York, 7th July - would be lovely. Or before she leaves 28 th June, give everyone at the receptions and dinners something new to talk about.

Wedding date can be when your training is finished towards the end of the year. I don't mean to be mean, but it would be nice while you've still got some hair for the photos. I know looks aren't everything, but they are going to rehash those photos for ever after.

Last edited:
I think you are right !! Whatever about announcing or planning a date around elections, olympics, jubilees or army training, I think a far more urgent basis would be FOLLICLE WATCH !!! We dont want him photoshopping the wedding pics with a hair piece in place. Someone should say to him.........."two words.... Uncle Edward" and I bet the confetti would be flying by August !!!!

Williams traning won't official finish till 2014, if he gets engaged now, thats a 4 year engagement, with lengthy times apart.
It's clear that they don't want to get married and are satisfied with the arrangement they have.
With the election this year, Prince Phillips 90th next year, the olympics and diamond jubliee in 2012 i don't see anything happening until 2013. Unless they really want to surprise us.

I don't see why he can't get married now. He is not the only man to get married during the rise through the ranks. The Duke of York did an around the world trip with the Navy after he married.

He's no different from other men in the services and I imagine with an ageing Queen the Royal Family might well be pleased to have a woking Princess William

Williams traning won't official finish till 2014, if he gets engaged now, thats a 4 year engagement, with lengthy times apart.
It's clear that they don't want to get married and are satisfied with the arrangement they have.
With the election this year, Prince Phillips 90th next year, the olympics and diamond jubliee in 2012 i don't see anything happening until 2013. Unless they really want to surprise us.

Well... with EVERY obstacle being looked at, the last thing you want is to plan a major wedding and find a major funeral getting in the way... and lets face it, it has to be thought of !. I would imagine William would want both his grandparents at his big day, and that being the case ... it would make sense to do it sooner rather than later.

He can marry now if he likes, it just doesn't seem like he's going to.
Yeah he probably does want to have both his grandparents there, but if William doesn't want to marry and his grandfather passes away it can't be helped.

As someone pointed out, we-the general public-do not know what is going on between them or what they are really like in private. I am kind of in the middle (no pun intended) about Kate. One part says she must really care about him quite a bit to have waited so long and the other side says she may be a fool for having waited so long without any real promise from Prince William (that we are aware of). But it does seem like there are quite a few of his relatives or friends that are near his age and have either at least got engaged or married someone. Aside from his brother, who else his age and status has yet to get married? I don't think there is too many on that list. His cousin Peter is married and I think Zara is probably next on the list to marry. But if he is unsure of Kate after all this time, maybe he does need to end things. If that makes him a jerk in some people's eyes, so be it. Kate is his age and should be capable of making a decision on her own and live with the consequences of that decision.

...The Duke of York did an around the world trip with the Navy after he married.
Mentioning the Duke of York may actually be a very good reason for him not marrying while in the service.

Sarah, and I suppose Andrew, do say that the long separations contributed to the breakdown in the marriage, particularly as Sarah was expected to carry on a load of royal duties along while Andrew was at sea.

This may very well be a reason why William isn't prepared to marry while in the service - so that he doesn't have Kate having to cope on her own while he is away for any length of time.

Others can marry certainly but they aren't expected to also go on public display after their marriage - work yes but not with a pack of photographers and a general public ready to criticise every move without her husband there to give support.

:previous:Kate strike's me as more level headed than Sarah. I'm sure she would do much better in that situation.

I just was thinking that there seems to be quite a few excuses created over the years as to why they haven't at least got engaged yet. Now I am wondering when someone in the media will have a story as to them wanting to either put off the engagement because either the Queen and Prince Phillip are ill and that is why they put off an engagement or wedding. Or the opposite of let's hurry up and get married so both can be there. lol!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom