The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
As the 2nd in line to the throne he is already way past marrying age. Elizabeth did her duty to the dynasty aged 21. Very few heirs and monarchs have such a devotion to the well being of their peoples. William is sadly failing. Getting on with the job of marrying should have been done 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Im sorry, 10 years ago William was 18 years old.
You want him to have been married when he was 18? How ridiculous.
William can marry whenever he likes, produce and heir and so forth as long as he's happy.
The only problem I have with him marrying Kate.
Like IluvBertie said, Elizabeth fell in love at an early age. Times have changed and the 'love' for the monarchy is waining the heirs at the moment have/see no reason to rush into marriage when they can enjoy to high life.

As for heirs marrying across Europe.
Crown Prince Frederik - 35
Crown Prince Felipe - 36
Crown Prince W-A - 35
Crown Prince Haakon - 28
Crown Princess Victoria - 33
GD Guillaume - has yet too marry and he's 28
Crown Prince Phillipe - 39
Prince Albert (Monarch) - 53

Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Serene Highness

When Queen Elizabeth was young, it was very common for couples to marry in their early 20's. Women generally had children in their 20's. This trend continues into the 1950's. I know when I was growing up, it was not uncommon for women to have several children while still in their 20's. Most of my classmates parents were very young compared to today.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Courtier

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Prince William books church date - without Kate
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Aristocracy

Report: U.K. royal wedding set for 2012 - TODAY People - The Royals - TODAYshow.com
Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Gentry

Good to know he will be the godfather of Peter's child!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

aww the Queens first great grandchild! good to know that will's is going to be a godfather! but getting married on the eve of the olympics?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I wonder how the Daily Star know that the baby will be christened in March and Willian will be his godfather.
Only close family if/will be privy to that information.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Wow, they have taken it to a new level here.... Im still waiting for CH to give the word
Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed they have, Lady Ann! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for CH to give the word on anything in the immediate future... lol
Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Indeed they have, Lady Ann! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for CH to give the word on anything in the immediate future... lol

Me either, I never hold my breath when it comes to William and Kate lol
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Most especially when it comes to William and Kate! lol
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Clarence House :

Prince William and Kate Middleton ‘to marry in July’ claim dismissed

St James’s Palace described the comments as “nonsense and speculation”.

A royal source added: “As far as I know he hasn’t shared any information with anyone about his intentions either way, we have always made clear that there is no planning going on.”

Clarence House today dismissed reports William and Kate will wed in Spring 2012, saying the couple haven't discussed the issue with aides.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

But the News of the World and the Daily Mail etc all know better than CH don't they as they are the ones that have the 'sources close to the couple' whereas CH admits that 'he hasn’t shared any information with anyone about his intentions either way'.

You know the press might actually be right - they will be one day of course - but maybe they do have access to information William hasn't shared with CH officials yet - but ...
Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Heck, he's over 25 and, I believe, doesn't really have to ask permission of anyone. It'd be nice if he did, being the heir. If I'm off base, set me straight.

I don't think he'll marry Kate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
When Queen Elizabeth was young, it was very common for couples to marry in their early 20's. Women generally had children in their 20's. This trend continues into the 1950's. I know when I was growing up, it was not uncommon for women to have several children while still in their 20's. Most of my classmates parents were very young compared to today.
Women are still having children in their 20s and earlier. They just don't get married.

Frankly, I think PW should show some maturity in his position. As for Kate, he's been dating her for years now and may or may not know her well. Perhaps he's been reading the stats regarding how long-term romances and living together turn into bad marriages, leading to divorce.

I hope that doesn't happen to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Excuse me?
How do you know that William is a, fooling around and b, Kate wouldn't chuck him for doing it?
A piece of paper wouldn't stop him "fooling around", after all he wouldn't want to be the first Prince of Wales without a mistress would he now
Lu, I didn't say he was fooling around, nor did I say he would be the first PoW to either stray or be faithful. I don't think she would chuck him, she does not appear to have the boules. With a piece of paper, Kate has some protection. She needs protection as she is an almost-30 year old woman who has no experience of much of anything, except waiting for his call.

Ooooh, you are a troublemaker!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Heck, he's over 25 and, I believe, doesn't really have to ask permission of anyone. It'd be nice if he did, being the heir. If I'm off base, set me straight.

I don't think he'll marry Kate.

William still needs permsission to marry due to the Royal Marriage Act.

He either needs permission from the Queen (or monarch of the day) OR if he fails to get that then he can appeal to parliament and wait a year. If neither of the houses of parliament (Commons or Lords) objects after a full year then he is free to conduct a legal marriage.

He isn't of course 'the heir' but the heir to the heir being second in line but that makes no difference.

ALL descendents of George II, except those who are descended from a Princess who married into a foreign royal house, are required to get that permission.

There is the argument about descent from a princess who married into a foreign royal house could exempt him anyway due to descent from Princesses Mary and Alice. Mary was the daughter of George II and the great-grandmother of Queen Alexandra and Alice was the daughter of Queen Victoria and the great-grandmother of Prince Philip. This argument is the Farran Exemption but has never been tested in a court of law as all British descendents have sought permission since the passing of the Act. This then could be establishing the precedent that the direct British descent from George II overrides the exemption of descendents marrying back into the British royal family. The Hannoverians have also always sought permission, including the present Prince when he married Caroline of Monaco.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Let's hope that William and/or Kate have extremely secure telecommunications equipment these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You know the press might actually be right - they will be one day of course - but maybe they do have access to information William hasn't shared with CH officials yet - but ...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even if there are plans I doubt the BRF would call the papers and say "oh hey this is the PoW, Prince Philip, Camilla, Harry and the Queen calling... we are calling to inform you of the date William and Kate have picked for their wedding. We've got the location, wedding dress designer and so on picked. And Kate will not be in Sandringham as it is her last Christmas with her family." :)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Bertie, I get what you're saying. But, if he really wanted to marry without either the Queen's or Parliament's approval, he could -- after petitioning and waiting one year. The marriage would be illegal in the eyes of the government, but he could!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

William will never do that. He is very much aware of his duty and resonsiblities and appears to be very close to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. He wouldn't do something so disrespectful as to marry without her permission. The Queen is his monarch first and his grandmother second.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Bertie, I get what you're saying. But, if he really wanted to marry without either the Queen's or Parliament's approval, he could -- after petitioning and waiting one year. The marriage would be illegal in the eyes of the government, but he could!

However should he marry without the above permissions then when he became King his 'wife' wouldn't be recognised and their children wouldn't be in the line of succession or have any status either - they would be regarded as illegitimate.

In other words his situation wouldn't be any different to what it is now - able to share a life with his woman but not his status or job and nor would the children of such a relationship.

Closed Thread