The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a relief we're no longer debating Anglo-US relations (and Diana!), but now we've passed through the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Commonwealth Prime Ministers, and Camilla, it's time to get back to Kate (aka Catherine) as Wills' (aka William) significant other.

Tidying up (more like mopping the blood off the floor):
Several posts that continued that debate after Avalon's Moderator warning have been removed, and the posts discussing the Saxe-Coburg ancestry have been moved over to the Germans? thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Warren said:
It's a relief we're no longer debating Anglo-US relations (and Diana!), but now we've passed through the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Commonwealth Prime Ministers, and Camilla, it's time to get back to Kate (aka Catherine) as Wills' (aka William) significant other.

Tidying up (more like mopping the blood off the floor):
Several posts that continued that debate after Avalon's Moderator warning have been removed, and the posts discussing the Saxe-Coburg ancestry have been moved over to the Germans? thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Dog-gone it!!! That's what I get!!! I need to spend more time here in the forum!! I must have missed a great British & American debate!:sad:

Duchess said:
catherine may be getting a huge amount of media attention but no one is under any obligation to buy or read any of it so it i never understand it when people say that someone is being "pushed down our throats". as for her getting a free ride, unless any of us have first hand knowledge of who pays her way then we can't make a statement like that.

Spot on! :flowers: Catherine does not appear to 'court' any attention from the media or the public, so it is hardly her fault if the media tries to pander to those who want every detail of her life. It's not as if she has secret meetings with them or asks anyone to let them know what she is up to. Her minders are unlikely to be from the RP unit, so it could be that her parents, Charles or William are paying for them. If that is the case, then it is none of our business.

If someone doesn't like her, doesn't have any interest in her, then don't buy/read any of the tiny snippets that come up. There is a strange little button on the tv/remote control that turns the tv off, if anyone doesn't like her, they could always try pushing it! :ROFLMAO:

I have no problems with Kate not having a full-time job, going shopping and all the other things that people seem to have such an issue with. However, I have to say that the news about her flying to South Africa to celebrate the birthday of Sir Richard Branson's son is something that doesn't impress me. It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity" - which may not be the kind of image Kate wants to project as the girlfriend of Prince William. She's been so good with preserving her image as an appropriate and "normal" girlfriend that I hate to see her throw it away with the celebrity jet-set lifestyle that this incident may suggest she is adopting. But then again, maybe this is a one-time thing.

Just my opinion though. I like Kate a lot and defend her to all the haters, but this incident makes her a little harder to defend.

politikgirl said:
I have no problems with Kate not having a full-time job, going shopping and all the other things that people seem to have such an issue with. However, I have to say that the news about her flying to South Africa to celebrate the birthday of Sir Richard Branson's son is something that doesn't impress me. It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity" - which may not be the kind of image Kate wants to project as the girlfriend of Prince William. She's been so good with preserving her image as an appropriate and "normal" girlfriend that I hate to see her throw it away with the celebrity jet-set lifestyle that this incident may suggest she is adopting. But then again, maybe this is a one-time thing.

Just my opinion though. I like Kate a lot and defend her to all the haters, but this incident makes her a little harder to defend.
Holly Branson isn't a celebrity per se. She's the daughter of a very rich man, not a Hollywood actress. As a matter of fact, I understand that Holly is well on her way to becoming a pediatrician?
Anyway, Kate has flown to South Africa with a group of people to attend Holly's birthday celebrations. That doesn't necessarily translate into 'I want to live the life of a celebrity'. It seems to me it screams: 'I'm attending a party I was invited to attend' ;) :lol:
(no offense meant, Politikgirl :) )

TonyaR said:
Holly Branson isn't a celebrity per se. She's the daughter of a very rich man, not a Hollywood actress. As a matter of fact, I understand that Holly is well on her way to becoming a pediatrician?
Anyway, Kate has flown to South Africa with a group of people to attend Holly's birthday celebrations. That doesn't necessarily translate into 'I want to live the life of a celebrity'. It seems to me it screams: 'I'm attending a party I was invited to attend' ;) :lol:
(no offense meant, Politikgirl :) )

Sammie is sort of a celeb though, being a model. Holly is too, I guess in her own way. I guess she is a quasi-celeb, albeit a very 'normal' one. Her very rich man of a father has made an art of using publicity in key ways to promote the Virgin brand, so I suppose that qualifies as 'celebrity' of a sort.
It's fine, though, for Catherine to jet to South Africa for the birthday. It doesn't bother me. Chelsy is always jetting back and forth from Cape Town and London, from somewhere to Mozambique or Botswana for safari or lying in the sun. It's nothing new for the royal family or their associations, jetting off to some wealthy playground or other for skiing, windsurfing, and the like.
Besides, I doubt seriously that the Middletons or anyone on Catherine's camp had to pay for it. The Bransons probably gave all guests an all-expenses-covered trip. Being they own an airline, too... nah, I guess the board of directors wouldn't like company planes or funds going to pay for the boss's son's birthday...I don't know.

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
Dog-gone it!!! That's what I get!!! I need to spend more time here in the forum!! I must have missed a great British & American debate!:sad:
:lol: Yeah, I missed out on all that fun too! Poor mod squad, having to mop up our messy, sticky debates all the time! :devil:

You guys are so funny. :D

I don't have a problem with Kate's life being more privileged than mine or seeing examples of it from time to time. I don't have the money or free time to jet off to South Africa all the time but I do have the means to fly there on vacation once in awhile which is more than a lot of people can do.

I think like most people that visit these forums, I have much less money than a lot of people in the world and I have much more money than a lot of other people in the world. Its all a matter of where people decide to put their focus-on what they have or on what others have and they don't.

The only thing that a trip like that would detract from my opinion of Kate is if it were in some way irresponsible but if she has the money and everybody behaves themselves, I see no harm.

Actually now that I think of it, I don't think it would be a good idea if Richard Branson paid for Kate's trip.

ysbel said:
Actually now that I think of it, I don't think it would be a good idea if Richard Branson paid for Kate's trip.

Really? Even if he did it for all the guests, not just her? I thought it was common for these types of international-jet-set parties/weddings, to have the guests accommodated and transported by the host, no?

For me, it isn't about whether she jets off to a party, works for a living or walks around with a permanent sulk. To me, it matters that she treats people right, that she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol) But seriously, the young woman just needs to behave with common human dignity and not get her nose too dirty. For her part, she has to realize that the man she's dating is in line for the most prestigious sitting monarchy in the world. She has to know that people will continue to monitor her actions. It's just reality. If she is a strong, intelligent person, then she'll come through it okay despite the hardships and tests. I'm glad they are taking their time to find out if she can. Better that than a divorce, which is hard for anyone, royal or not.

politikgirl said:
It's one thing to be a privileged person who may not have a job right now but can still afford to go shopping... this isn't too far removed from reality. It's another thing to be jet-setting around the world celebrating celebrity birthdays - it just seems to scream "I live the life of a celebrity"

:flowers: It must be very difficult for her, these are her friends and if they decide to have their party in another country, what is she going to do.

She has a lot more money at her disposal than most people, but, it is not as if she is constantly doing 'celebrity' style things like Paris Hilton or even TPT.
I don't begrudge her a trip out with her friends, I know of dozens of youngsters who go abroad to party. :flowers:

afro1920 said:
For me, it isn't about whether she jets off to a party, works for a living or walks around with a permanent sulk. To me, it matters that she treats people right, that she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol) But seriously, the young woman just needs to behave with common human dignity and not get her nose too dirty. For her part, she has to realize that the man she's dating is in line for the most prestigious sitting monarchy in the world. She has to know that people will continue to monitor her actions. It's just reality. If she is a strong, intelligent person, then she'll come through it okay despite the hardships and tests. I'm glad they are taking their time to find out if she can. Better that than a divorce, which is hard for anyone, royal or not.

Well said! :flowers: I agree with you (especially about Harry:lol: ).

I see no problem at all with her travelling overseas to a friend's party. She has the means to do it. It doesn't matter to me whether Sir Richard pays or her parents do. Her parents worked hard and have done very well, and if they want to spend their money making their daughter's life comfortable, that's their right and her good fortune. And Sir Richard runs an airline so it's no problem for him to transport friends to parties.

afro1920 said:
she isn't on drugs or sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry (irony, because if she was sleeping with Harry that's a serious problem outside of royalty issues because that's the man's brother, lol)

Haha
Harry is boyfriend's bro, and Tom is the stepbro, so yeah, these scenarios wouldn't be a positive development! :ROFLMAO:
And Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester? That would be just gross, haha!

I suspect that this view will probably not be popular, but until Kate becomes, officially, part of her prince's life, the public has no right to have any expectations of her at all. If she were his fiancee, then things would be different, but she remains a private citizen who owes nothing to anyone, as yet. Let's just enjoy the fact that she and William seem happy and hold our comments until something more develops, if it does.

BeatrixFan said:
Although we now know that the Commonwealth countries were fed info that just wasn't true and made their decision on that info. Had they been honest, Wallis would have been Queen.
i totally agree with that.

Polly said:
I suspect that this view will probably not be popular, but until Kate becomes, officially, part of her prince's life, the public has no right to have any expectations of her at all. If she were his fiancee, then things would be different, but she remains a private citizen who owes nothing to anyone, as yet. Let's just enjoy the fact that she and William seem happy and hold our comments until something more develops, if it does.

I think you'll find a number of us here agree that we have no right to have any expectations of her unless and until there is an engagement announcement. Then she would become fair game, but not until then.

As for holding our comments till then, I for one am thoroughly enjoying all this discussion about someone about whom we know virtually nothing. :ROFLMAO:

Except that she costs the tax-payer already therefore we're quite entitled to criticise this person we know nothing about.

BeatrixFan said:
Except that she costs the tax-payer already therefore we're quite entitled to criticise this person we know nothing about.

How much does she cost, and in what capacity?

I'm not sure of the financial arrangements, but she might eat food paid for partly by the taxpayer, or spend time in premises for which security is paid for by the taxpayer, or sit in chairs paid for by the taxpayer.

She is Wiliam's girlfriend, but the RF all have friends, and those friends are as much of a burden on the taxpayer as Kate. I don't see anyone criticising the other friends whose activities may in some little way be paid for by the taxpayer. The RF are entitled to have friends; those friends no doubt make the Royals' lives happier, so I would think this would be a good thing.

Any complaints about the corgis?

Well, I don't know exactly how much she costs us but the point is - she costs us something. Security, Food, Travel, Staff. It all adds up. Princess Beatrice's boyfriend didn't have all that Kate's been given. Chelsy doesn't have it. So why is she the chosen one that gets all this lot and if I'm paying for her - whether it be a grand or 10 pence - I'll criticise her. And I am paying for her. The Corgi comment was just pointless - Kate costs us more than a corgi and anyway, I'd pay for the Queen to have whatever she wanted. She's my Queen, she's given her loyalty to me my whole life. This girl has done nothing for me. The pro-Kate lot are saying we can't criticise her until we start paying for her - well we're paying for her now so we'll criticise her now.

Great comments, everyone. I'm convinced by a lot of your comments on Kate flying to the party.

I don't begrudge Kate her prosperity. I go to a university that's populated by tons of well-off people and people like Kate aren't too removed from my reality. While I'm not quite as rich as Paris Hilton (lol), I am well off enough to realize that I'm luckier than a lot of people in the world, so I don't have anything against people who can afford to fly around the world, to parties. I just think that for her own sake, Kate may want to rethink doing this often... not that she has done it often. But just in case this is a sign of something more, I think it might be better for her to remain as low-key as she has in the past. She's done a fairly good job maintaining an "appropriate" lifestyle befitting a future princess, in my humble opinion, and I just don't want to see her doing something that will make the public turn against her. But hey, I can't control Kate, the media or the public, so what can I do? Just wanted to express an opinion. :D

I don't know that I'm 'pro-Kate' at all. I really know very little about her, except her name.

However, I don't know how much she costs the UK taxpayer and how much the prince and his father pay for her themselves.

My opinion remains: until Kate becomes engaged then the public has no right to have expectations of her. If, being so close to the heir to the throne is costly, then that's the price, I think, of having a royal family.

Best,

Polly

And I agree. She needs security, so give her security and I'll pay for it but then she becomes eligible for criticism just as any of the other family members do. She can't have her cake and eat it.

The above post seems to have ended up in two places. So sorry. I don't know how this happened. Please forgive someone not yet totally au fait with the board.

Thanks

Roslyn said:
As for holding our comments till then, I for one am thoroughly enjoying all this discussion about someone about whom we know virtually nothing. :ROFLMAO:

:w00t2: :clap: :punk:
Politically and socially correct is seriously overrated! Comment on her, criticize her, gossip about her, it's all good! How much can it bother her even if she drops in by accident surfing the web and reads our comments? All she would be feeling/thinking is something like: Those losers, so jealous that I got him and they didn't! HAHA in your face, suckers, look at me sooooooo happy with my hottie prince Willy..hehe!
:lol:

There are some people here who seem to think that those who criticise Kate are somehow jealous. Personally, I think she's dead right for William - she's a dull, boring waste of space with zero personality. I couldn't care less that she's "got him" - hunnie, she's welcome to him, she can strap him to her ass and call him a cushion for all I care but don't expect me to pay for this girl and not be entitled to my say. So she's got money, it obviously hasn't made her any more interesting. She's got all the style and grace of wallpaper paste. Bottom line - she can marry William, she can put a tiara on, she can swan all over the world sulking amongst King and Queens of the world but to me, she'll always be boring and she won't be my Queen. Hell, Helen Keller had more personality than this girl. So she can keep her little Prince Willy because I for one do not give a damn about who he marries or not. But I do care about my money and who it's spent on. I'll pay for William, I'll pay for Kate but as long as I'm paying, I expect to get the goods and I expect to keep the right to criticise those goods.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, I don't know exactly how much she costs us but the point is - she costs us something. Security, Food, Travel, Staff. .

OL BeatrixFan, fair enough. Probably none of us knows exactly how much any of this is costing but is Clarence House paying anything for Kate's security at all? I didn't even know she had a staff for Clarence House to pay for.

Or are you thinking of the incidental uses of the security, food, and staff that the royal family engages on a regular basis and that Kate would have the advantage of just by being around William?

The incidiental uses of security, food etc. It all racks up. She has a Clarence House security bod apparantly, she must eat meals when she's there, the staff will have to clean the room she stays in - it might only cost a fiver a week - but it still costs something.

OK, thanks for explaining. I see your point now.

I thought though that Clarence House declined to pay for her security. If they are paying for security that's on a different level.

As far as the incidentals, I would be hard pressed to deny William and Harry the companionship of their friends, male and female, and any resulting incidentals the friends would cost. I'm sure when Charles was single he had a lot of friends, male and female, over at his place and some of them had to be dreadfully boring. It doesn't mean he married them.

But Charles stayed true to his friends as William and Harry like their respective friends so if the friendships help William to grow into a mature self-confident young man who is ready to take the throne from his father when its time, then I'm all for them. (except maybe for Guy Pelley :rolleyes: )

It doesn't necessarily mean that Kate is THE ONE!

CasiraghiTrio said:
Haha
Harry is boyfriend's bro, and Tom is the stepbro, so yeah, these scenarios wouldn't be a positive development! :ROFLMAO:
And Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester? That would be just gross, haha!

LOL Yeah, those my thoughts exactly!:lol: He's old!

BeatrixFan said:
The incidiental uses of security, food etc. It all racks up. She has a Clarence House security bod apparantly, she must eat meals when she's there, the staff will have to clean the room she stays in - it might only cost a fiver a week - but it still costs something.
Looking at things from this point of view it's hard to disagree. Nevertheless, Kate's not responsible for any of it, in my opinion. As indicated above, it's the end result of sustaining a royal family and her being important to the Heir. And in consideration of your earlier remarks pertaining to Princess Beatrice's boyfriend, would you agree that the difference might be that the Princess isn't likely to ever become monarch?

I can't see that Kate justifies the tag 'dull', either. From the little I know of her, she seems a pleasant and ordinary young woman, who's well-educated, and seems sensible and attractive enough. I think it a credit to William that his fancy seems to have alighted on a seemingly nice girl when the temptations for him must be very great indeed.

Let's just wish them well in the interim and hope that they'll be happy together in the longer term if it's in their stars. Until then, Kate should be given as much protection as she needs and as much freedom as she desires. Well, so I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom