Staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt Harper's Bazaar is actually a good source to go to for information on the royal households.

Of course it wouldn't be doable. Its much easier for communication for it to be housed at Buckingham Palace which is in London where its much easier for staff to commute to work. None of the BRF have their official offices and staff outside of London. Its just common sense.

With the way H&M's household will be set up, they're right there and it'll be easy for the Queen's staff and the Sussex staff to communicate. It makes sense to me seeing as it looks very much like H&M are gearing up to do a lot of work involving the Commonwealth of which the Queen, herself, is the head of.

So, the reality is that this is a non-story.

Um, the article was written by Omid. I believe him.

Last edited:
OK. I stand corrected on the validity of Omid Scobee's words. I didn't actually click on the article or I would have seen that. OOOPS. ?

I still think, though, that it was never feasible and more than a passing thought to have the Sussex offices and staff in Windsor.

That would of been nice for them to have it right there close by though. A shame they couldn't get that figured out.

LaRae

I'm with Osipi on this one. Omid Scobie usually gets it right, but not always. I don't believe that it would have worked with the rest of them being in Buckingham Palace and the Sussexes would have been totally isolated, especially from their communications staff.

Last but not least, there is no room. Just like that. Space is at a premium at Windsor and turning limited residential accommodation into offices not an option.

:previous: There are many reasons that Windsor wouldn't work, but space is not one of them. Space is certainly not at a premium at Windsor. Its 484,000 square feet with over 1000 rooms. While there is only one set of apartments, the queen's, there is plenty of rooms in the castle. The upper ward has over 225 bedrooms.

While the couple live at Windsor, its logical and practical for their work to be in London. For reasons like their work with the foundation, as well as work with things like Clarence house and the queen. Even Anne's who home is much further from London, has her offices in London. Meghan and Harry can certainly handle the short distance between Windsor and London. They aren't the sort who will be '9 to 5' at the office every week and have to commute. Their employees will have to on the other hand, and it makes more sense for them to be in London

The Sussex’s official office will in established in the “Firms” official headquarters.Thats very impressive, folks.

Meghan joining the family has not been without some normal tensions and growing pains. But she's also turned out to be something of a well-oiled working part flowing along and fitting right in with the machinery of the family firm.

Hmmm, so can the Sussexes still be contacted in writing via Clarence House, or is it now to become Buckingham Palace? Probably the former, as everything directed to KP from fans is always forwarded to Clarence House.

The new Household staffing changes with the Sussexes' official office and communication staff moving to BP sounds like a wise and beneficial set of circumstances all around. This is particularly true with the Sussexes moving to Windsor, where the Queen and her staff reside for a good bit of the year. In addition, I'm sure that in coming years, the Queen will be extending more responsibilities to Prince Charles so that by the time of her increasingly slowing down her public appearances, and her inevitable death, there will be a smooth and seamless transition at least with the working parts of the firm, if not with the groundswell of emotions and subsequent ground-shaking passing of an era.

Certainly, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have developed such a warm bond with the Sussexes, that this all bodes well for the eventual transition when Charles will become King (and there's no doubt that Camilla will become Queen Consort).

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be taking on more unique and varied responsibilities, so they too need the freedom and individual decision-making to chart their course into the same transition whereby Charles will become King and the Cambridges will become the Prince and Princess of Wales.

:news:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is official until the fall it seems. So KP will still be handling their business for a few months. I would guess they might start posting more under BP but I think KP will be it until the fall when they officially launch. Makes sense as they have these upcoming months of a more relaxed schedule to really build their staff.

The Sussex’s official office will in established in the “Firms” official headquarters.Thats very impressive, folks.

It seems like a well thought out, natural course of events, as with their new titles, the Duke & Duchess of Sussex are working fully on behalf of the Queen, and as official Commonwealth representatives too.

Prince Harry and Prince William have matured into adulthood with separate families of their own, and increasingly unique and separate responsibilities. A split of their working offices and staffs was surely inevitable. Prince Harry is 'wild no more,' if indeed he ever really was at heart. And he's certainly no longer a third wheel appendage. Harry tagging along with the Cambridges was natural and convenient for a time. After Harry's marriage and coming more into his own maturity, fundamental staffing changes were necessary.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

Last edited:

Not really, when all the other minor royals have offices there too, this is in my opinion another point being made to the couple of their place in the royal hierarchy.
I’d be more impressed if they had in fact had been given offices in Windsor or stayed at Kensington or even st. James.

I think this may be a good thing, hopefully having to answer to Buckingham aides will help reign Harry and Meghan in a bit. And may help Meghan finally realize she’s not in Hollywood anymore (because I don’t think she’s quite getting it yet)

:previous:

By every indication we've witnessed, and by what has been said and revealed of the Queen's and Prince Charles' high regard for the Duchess of Sussex, your commentary seems far removed from reality.

Duchess Meghan's acting backgound, academic achievements, intelligence, and eagerness to work have been great assets to her husband and to the royal firm in great measure. The British economy has also been favorably impacted by the marriage of Meghan and Harry. Meghan's enthusiasm and her work ethic have been very much appreciated and well rewarded with four patronages, two of which are prestigious patronages passed on to her by the Queen.

After the Sussexes' successful Morocco tour, Queen Elizabeth was so impressed, she reportedly wrote a rare, official letter of thanks especially for Meghan.

Far from having to 'answer to BP aides,' I think it's clear that Meghan and Harry will be working closely with BP aides. It has been reported that BP staff appreciate how smart and articulate Meghan is. Whoever doesn't appreciate Meghan will either adapt and change their minds, or resign and seek more lucrative work outside the royal firm.

Last edited:
:previous: There are many reasons that Windsor wouldn't work, but space is not one of them. Space is certainly not at a premium at Windsor. Its 484,000 square feet with over 1000 rooms. While there is only one set of apartments, the queen's, there is plenty of rooms in the castle. The upper ward has over 225 bedrooms.
I think the TPTB would take a dim view of turning the upper ward of a famous, historical, residentially occupied Castle and tourist attraction, into spare office space. The Barbarians really would be at the gate. But let's be real, that whole argument is specious at best and disingenuous at worst.
. . . . . I think this may be a good thing, hopefully having to answer to Buckingham aides will help reign Harry and Meghan in a bit. And may help Meghan finally realize she’s not in Hollywood anymore (because I don’t think she’s quite getting it yet)
Could you give us a few examples of Meghan's lack of restraint bearing in mind that she spent the last seven years working in Nth America in Toronto which is, if my geography is not amiss, a very long way from Los Angeles. But is every movie or TV programme made in Hollywood? Is every actor and actress fake, brash and vulgar? Somehow I don't believe it is the centre of the all things fake, brash and vulgar and many well-known actors and actresses and their families live perfectly normal, healthy lives there, you know, school runs, PTA, life. Probably a lot like actors and actress in Toronto.

Looking at this I think it is a logical step that was to be expected. But there has been an event not noticed not long ago. It relates to the NYC baby shower trip. RR Emily Andrews wrote a fake baby shower story that supposedly happened on Tuesday, full of details and guests list, whereas the event took place the next Wednesday. When confronted on her twitter account, to defend herself, she said that the wrong information she based her article on, came from her source at KP. The question now is why is somebody that is working at KP would relate information whether right or wrong concerning a private trip/private event to the press. It is obvious there were leaks and trust issues too with the staff at KP

Let’s not get into discussing Meghan’s acting/Hollywood, or rehashing the baby shower.

Last edited:

Not really considering it’s the same as Anne, Andrew and Edward. It signifies Henry and Meghan as future minor royals frankly.

Not really, when all the other minor royals have offices there too, this is in my opinion another point being made to the couple of their place in the royal hierarchy.
I’d be more impressed if they had in fact had been given offices in Windsor or stayed at Kensington or even st. James.

I think this may be a good thing, hopefully having to answer to Buckingham aides will help reign Harry and Meghan in a bit. And may help Meghan finally realize she’s not in Hollywood anymore (because I don’t think she’s quite getting it yet)

How is Meghan not getting it? I feel quite the opposite of you and think getting them away from Kensington Palace was the best thing they could do because honesty that household is a mess and for the Cambridge's sake I hope they tighten it up. Maybe now that it will just focus on two it will be managed better because it was a struggle with three and became impossible with four. At least BP know how to manage multiple schedules adequately.

The transition now just makes more sense. The Queen is not getting any younger and it was bound to occur anyways. Might as well do it now so everything is already in place when the inevitable occurs. The Queen does not have many years left. This really was needed to happen. William and Harry don't need to be attached at the hip anymore. They are grown men with their own families and ideas. They really have different ways and for everyone's sanity this seems to be the wisest move.

Now William can focus on his very different path as the future monarch and Harry can focus on his...

Last edited:
Not really considering it’s the same as Anne, Andrew and Edward. It signifies Henry and Meghan as future minor royals frankly.

They will most likely always be senior royals...and for the near future will be some of the prominent faces of the BRF. I also doubt their work with the Commonwealth is seen as minor to the Queen or Charles.

Yes Harry may only be 6th in line to the throne but unless people expect the Cambridge babies to forgo primary/secondary schooling to take on responsibilities, Harry (and Meghan) will in the forefront for a couple of decades or so.

Last edited:
So, the reality is that this is a non-story.

It is a story insofar that it was bound to happen, but that's it. It is only a matter of time till BP and CH communications are unified and then we have the classic situation of the heir having his household with communications etc. and the monarch's office for HM and all other Royals who work for the firm. That William and Harry had their own household together made sense as long as the queen was younger and more active but now they needed to make the arrangements in the classic style.

No, their not minor royals. They’re senior royals. It is impressive that their official office is where the Monarch and future Monarch headquarters are located. Also, they will be to conduct their official palace engagements at Buckingham Palace.

At some point we’ll be hearing about Meghan appointing a Lady in Waiting to help her in her royal role. I expect the same from Catherine, too. This is all part of the transition, which we all know is getting closer.

Last edited:

I think some people are confusing being minor royals when it comes to the line of succession to the Crown or the order of precedence that comes into play sometimes with that being applicable within the "Firm".

I don't see it that way at all. We're talking about the family business of supporting the monarchy and representing HM, The Queen. The Queen herself has called it "Team Windsor" on the occasion of Philip's retirement. To the Queen, the work that her family does does not have rank and importance attached to it. Coordinating everything these royals do takes time, energy and focus to assure that all goes smoothly. The offices coordinate things and assure that there are no goof ups and Harry and Meghan having a household of their own with staff that concentrates on their activities and also lets the "boss" know what's being done, where and for how long. It is the Queen, herself, that approves every listing that appears in the Court Circular.

Harry and Meghan's work for the "Firm" is growing in leaps and bounds and they're bound to take on even more as time passes and they need their own staff with dedicated focus.

When push comes to shove, this is the way the Queen and Prince Charles wants it for now. They make the rules for the firm and others are expected to follow. I don't believe there is any other person that needs to know why or should care. It just is because the Queen says so. She decides the position and privilege of each and they work accordingly. It always reminds be of a military operation with the Majesty as General and the ranks follow exactly in their appointed and birth position. Her family can live anywhere with her approval but as far as their public appearances or work for the firm, she will know prior and approve. If not, I am sure it will be their last goof-up.

Last edited:
The Sussexes will likely never be minor Royals within our lifetime (depending on your current age, but I'd guess most of us here are over 30/40). I don't foresee them becoming less visible until George is King and by that point the Sussexes will likely be over 70.

LaRae

I think it might depend on the definition of "minor royals" that is being used. If you are looking at "minor" as being someone who is unlikely to succeed to the throne because of birth order, then that covers everyone except Charles and William and his children. If you are looking at it as amount of work done + visibility, then it gets quite a bit broader. Either way, I don't think it matters much. No one does anything at all except with the approval of the monarch or her office.

Last Nov, KP said, "the Duke and Duchess's office will continue to be based at Kensington Palace". Last month, Jason Knauf denied that he will concentrate only on William and Kate.

I think Meghan and Harry have zero confidence in Jason.

According to Emily Andrews, ""last night palace sources insisted the move was nothing to do with Meghan and Harry losing confidence in Knauf"

:previous:

I'm in agreement with Ms. Andrews on this. There is no underlying personal reasons for any of the changes that have been made in establishing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's own household and office staff other than its a preemptive strike. Things, as has been stated before, are in a period of soft transition from monarch to monarch and the "Firm" doesn't do anything on a whim or based on tabloid fodder or any other reason than it is fast becoming a necessity for Harry and Meghan to have their own staff focusing on their needs alone.

The "Firm" looks ahead and sees what will be needed and plans for it. Nothing is left to chance or done haphazardly.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're in the soft transition from monarch to monarch, but also in a very definite and clear transition from William and Harry's households being three part-time working royals two four full-time, which is a very big difference in the amount of support needed from staff. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for there to have been honest disagreement and discussion about how long KP could continue to handle the heavier workload, with some in KP's staff leadership being very eager to grow their office as one way of feeling that their importance had increased, with others saying, "no, now is the time to let the existing KP staff turn focus solely on the Cambridges because that will soon be a twice the job than what KP had been doing just a year or two ago."

And as they move more truly into full-time work, William and Harry's (and, by extension, their wives') have increasingly different jobs requiring different kinds of support and focus from their staff. Those in the throne's direct line are always used in a sort of "jack-of-all-trades" capacity (within the royal "trades," that is), while siblings and their spouses are allowed, to some degree, to dig in deep in an area of focus (for example: trade and philanthropy for Andrew, Save the Children for Anne). The BP staff has a lot of experience with that, and they're set up to juggle the needs of many royals at once. KP has startled to juggle more in the past little while, but it and CH are, I think, better suited to being laser focused on one heir's household and its needs.

What I'd really, really like to know is why there is even a need for a "problem"? Why can't this move just be something that is necessary for a couple that is taking on more and more full time royal duties and seen as a progressive move without feudin', dissin', arguin', hollerin', mudslingin' and whatever else has been assumed to be a cause?

Looks like William and Catherine will have KP and Henry and Meghan will come either under The Royal Family or have their own social media accounts. I personally would like to see the first option.

I hope for their own social media. I also hope they stop updating anything Sussex on KP until the change happens and just use the royal family accounts.

Just cut the cord.

I hope they just use the royal family social media. I would hope that will reduce the direct focus for some of the trolls. Their own social media will just give them more fodder to feed the nastiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom