Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom
A chap from Debretts Peerage has just been interviewed on BBC News and they asked him about possible titles for Prince William and Kate Middleton when they get married. He said that if a Dukedom is given, William and Kate will be able to choose which one they prefer. Possibilities include Cambridge and Sussex. The man also stated that if no dukedom is granted, the Queen could allow Kate to be known as Princess Catherine of Wales instead of Princess William of Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can say Cambridge, Sussex, Clarence and Essex perhaps.

That is incorrect and he should know better, the man from Debrett's. If not other title/style is given, she will be known as HRH Princess William of Wales. Not Princess Catherine as she was not born a princess in her own right.

The man said "The Queen could allow Kate to be called Princess Catherine. Which she could do. It's very improbable that she will though.

Wouldn´t the Queen be able to allow her to use the style of Princess Catherine...

The Queen is the Fount of Honour and can grant Catherine any style and title she wishes.

No..I doubt that very much. At best he will be given a secondary title such as a Dukedom, and then will be known as HRH The Duchess of ________.

We´re not saying the Queen is going to allow Catherine to be styles as Princess Catherine, we´re saying she CAN do it.

It doesn't seem like there would be any particular reason to depart from the usual title, though -- why change it to Princess Catherine? Isn't it also incorrect to refer to Diana as Princess Diana (as the media did all the time?) Wasn't her title (before divorce), HRH Diana, Princess of Wales? Or is "The" supposed to be in there?

No..I doubt that very much. At best he will be given a secondary title such as a Dukedom, and then will be known as HRH The Duchess of ________.

No,he might be given Cambridge or Sussex for a ducal title,but she will be Princess William of Wales firstly,and then the courtesy title going with the,or any,Dukedom HM will bestow on William,not a personal title.IF HM does so at all.

I am not really sure whether Catherine could actually use the title of Princess of Wales, while HRH the Duchess of Cornwall is alive, as surely, the title belongs to the wife of the current Prince of Wales. It would be nice if she could be addressed as HRH Duchess of.....,
depending on whether HM The Queen grants William a ducal title upon his marriage.

When Camilla becomes Queen, and William is invested at Prince of Wales, Catherine will be The Princess of Wales.
Until then she will be known as Princess William of Wales, Duchess of wherever.

This is only speculation of course, but I heard that William could be created the Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day, which would make Catherine, HRH Princess William of Wales, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Help!

I've communicating with a Canadian, on another board, and he keeps telling me I'm wrong that Catherine would never be known as Princess William of Wales. Granted she probably never will have that title.

Can someone direct me to a site or article that stated Catherine would/could be titled Princess William of Wales unless Wills gets a Duchy?

Oh, one other question. Can HM create a princedom for William? I know it's likely he'll get a duchy, but again being told by a friend I'm wrong.

If William receives a dukedom, Kate will be HRH The Duchess of said dukedom. She will not be Princess William of Wales, The Duchess of said dukedom. That's because she will be taking her husband's title and his title will not be Prince William of Wales, Duke of. It will be The Duke of.

She will be Princess William only if William does not receive another title.

I know that they will likely get a duchy. I'm trying to defend myself as to the Princess William title. As I noted, I doubt she will ever be formally titled Princess William, however it IS possible and that is what I'm trying to get a across to my friend.

Unless William gets a Dukedom, she will take her husbands name and thus be HRH The Princess William of Wales. Much like the Prince Michael's wife is known as HRH The Princess Michael of Kent.

IF William gets a dukedom, she will follow Camilla and Sarah (and Katharine and Brigitte) and be HRH The Duchess of York (Cornwall, Kent and Gloucester).

In certain countries (i.e. the Netherlands), Maxima was made a Princess in her own right. I don't think that has ever happened in Britain.

Is there anything on the web I can share with my friend about the Princess William title? While I know you all are very knowledgeable in these areas and I believe you, I need something that will prove to my friend I know what I'm talking about.

We have a couple of people who are very knowledgeable and can make reference to specific patents. I would suggest that you continue to check back and they will help...I am surprised that they haven't popped up yet.

She won't be The Princess William of Wales because William is only a grandson of the sovereign. Only children of the sovereign are "The Prince First Name" or "The Princess First Name."

Actually, she will never be "The Princess William" because William will automatically become Duke of Cornwall upon the Queen's death which means Kate will be The Duchess of Cornwall.

We have a couple of people who are very knowledgeable and can make reference to specific patents. I would suggest that you continue to check back and they will help...I am surprised that they haven't popped up yet.

Thank you, Zonk!

I'm sure you could research the applicable Letters Patent regarding the appropriate style for the wife of the son of the sovereign's son, but Wikipedia has a nice chart.

I think that she will be called, Catherine, Duchess of ........whatever. Then when Prince William becomes the Princes of Wales, she will be Catherine, Princess of Wales. Right?

Her Royal Highness The Princess William Arthur Phillip Louis, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland.

That is Camilla's current title.

I think that she will be called, Catherine, Duchess of ........whatever. Then when Prince William becomes the Princes of Wales, she will be Catherine, Princess of Wales. Right?

Upon marrying, a Royal prince assumes the title of Duke, therefore she'll be a Duchess ...... not bad for the daughter of a fancy dress hirer, eh?;)

Upon marrying, a Royal prince assumes the title of Duke, therefore she'll be a Duchess ...... not bad for the daughter of a fancy dress hirer, eh?;)

Which is why Edward is an Earl???? It's up to HM The Queen to determine what sort of title, if any, William will receive upon marriage. It could be that she doesn't give him one at all, in which case, Catherine would be HRH Princess William of Wales.

No he doesn't.
IF HM gives William and dukedom, then Catherine will become a Duchess. But only then.

Edward is an Earl, because that's why he asked for.

Last edited:
I don't know if The Queen will bestow William with a dukedom when he gets married. Let's face it, whether she does or doesn't, it's not going to stop the press from calling her Princess Catherine, even though that would be incorrect as she's not a princess in her own right.

No he doesn't.

Edward is an Earl, because that's why he asked for.
Do you have any basis for suggesting that Edward asked to be created an Earl and not a Duke?

If he wanted to be a Duke, surely he would have been made one when he married, rather than an Earl.
They have shown that the family want a quiet life, and being a Duke and Duchess of wherever might not have allowed them to lead a quiet life.

I have no actual basis for what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom