The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Nobility

I cannot believe that the press leaked where Prince Harry was.. It is very unfair to him....He was serving his country and minding his own business. To tell that he was in Afghanistan really puts him at risk....The press should have known better!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Courtier

'Credit to the nation' Harry to be pulled out of Afghanistan

Fury as Channel 4 Jon Snow 'thanks God for Drudge website' for breaking Harry's cover | the Daily Mail

Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Brave Harry turned to his 'rock' Chelsy for support during Afghan mission
Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

The difference is that Angelina Jolie is only there on a goodwill mission. Harry is an enemy combatant, most likely involved in the loss of troops for the other side.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Well all I can say is shame on the media. But let us hope that Harry won't lose his sense of duty and turn into his Uncle Andrew.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

If we believe some of the stories about Harry that come up now - like he enjoyed the Spartan life as soldier because it's the closest he ever came to normal life, that he doesn't want to live in England etc. - well, there's no stopping him from becoming site foreman (one should not forget that he is serving as an officer there!) on a building site in Africa or whereabouts for let's say a bridge or water works.... They've got enough dirt out there to last a lifetime, there's comradeship, a bit of danger and you help the people on doing your duty. Or leading a team of diamond diggers in DeBeers employ...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Harry on coming back to Britain: 'I don't want to sit around in Windsor, I don't actually like England that much' | the Daily Mail

The salient quote from Harry: "I don't actually like England all that much"
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Okay, he could move to Scotland or Wales?

I went on thinking about a good profession for Harry and thought about one topic where here in Germany you can even get an univeristy degree in (lately): rescue management. With it, you can become an engineer for rescue techniques, you can become a manager for catastrophe units, you can become commander of a firebrigade or for THW (technical help units in Germany).

So there he could use his lust for danger and his willingness to help others, bring in his commanding abilities and do soemthing positive for his own countryman. I'll never remember how good Andrew looked, how sincere and capable, how much a Royal officer, when they interviewed him in 1992 after he had engaged himself in helping to rescue Windsor from the fire. So there are such catastrophe units in the UK, right? And they need people to actually work for them, commanding them (well, Harry could be their Royal patron in addition). He showed as a cadet that he can learn and pass exams if he is interested in the topic. He might not be as bright as William, but it should be enough.

Plus: I bet we'll only see the real Harry after his father became king and William has married and filled the nursery with heirs to the throne Nr. 2 to 6, maybe? Then Harry can feel free from being the son of the heir and in line himself be just Mr. Windsor, rescue worker.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Courtier

I can see his frustration...I actually believe that he will come back and be kind of depressed. I mean talk about going from one extreme to another, and unlike his brother he doesn't have the next in line thing to focus on. This seemed really important to his identity in a way...it's a shame.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Nobility

Post prince harry

This whole thing is really sad.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Courtier

The 'I don't like England much" line is getting a lot of mileage now that reuters and the AP have picked it up.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
The 'I don't like England much" line is getting a lot of mileage now that reuters and the AP have picked it up.
Well, he is willing to give his blood for the country - there is no need to like the situation he has to live in there. I hope this quote will be received how it was meant: as saying that this prince of the blood prefers live as fighting soldier to the way he is harrassed at home while having all the privileges.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM

It's come across as he doesn't want to live here. He wants to be an 'ordinary person' not living in England. Not exactly glowing credentials for a Prince of the UK.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
You are wrong there, the worst one is having limbs blown off or losing your independence due to massive injury!
Why is it an insult, every member of the forces who serves in a war zone is incredibly brave, it is just that the majority of people couldn't care less about soldier A.
how long dose long dose a soldier have to stay over seas to recieve a campgin ribbon? A poster on BBC website said that Harry would not get one because he had only been there fo 10 weeks is this true ?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm not sure. My second cousin served in Afghanistan and he's got his campaign medal but he was out there for a few months if I remember rightly. He got out of the army before Iraq.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM

It is disgusting that the media of this world are more concerned about making a few dollars that in moral and ethical responsibilities to civilization as a whole. Lt. Windsor could have easily avoided serving in a combat zone based upon the political ramifications of his title and position. I respect his desire to serve his country knowing he would face the same danger as his fellow officers and men. I believe Lt. Windsor's actions were a credit to both his country and his position within the same. It is sad he was not afforded the opportunity to complete his entire tour. However, the decision to withdraw him cannot be contested. The lives of his men should not be put at jeopardy simply because their commander is a royal.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's come across as he doesn't want to live here. He wants to be an 'ordinary person' not living in England. Not exactly glowing credentials for a Prince of the UK.
But then Charles was blamed because he lived a life of a prince of the Uk some people considered to be "old-fashioned". Now the next generation is looking for their own place in society, their own chance to "create" themselves. Somehow I wish Harry had more contact with his cousins on his grandfather's side, I believe Felipe of Spain, Haakon of Norway and Frederick of Danmark could tell him a thing about combining the wish for an active officers life with adapting to the life of a prince. Okay, for all three of them their path was carved out the moment they were born, but still they were active, sucessful officers and had to find a solution/point of view between this position and their background.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Congrats to Harry on his good performance! HM, the Duke and the PoW must be bursting with pride.

Harry seemed more mature in his interviews from Afghanistan than we have seen before. I think it must have been a good experience for him to use his training and test his mettle as a "real" soldier.

And I thought it looked like a pretty scary place.

I don't know if everyone saw all the clips -- but I saw a part where he talked about the Queen telling him it was time to go to Afghanistan. I wonder if she called him up or if she arranged a meeting with him. I got the impression that HM was very excited for Harry to go. (I wonder what input she had in making this decision.)

And Harry was asked what he missed. And he said not much. He pretty much talked about the creature comforts, like music, food, etc. It was pretty striking IMO that he didn't say he missed his girlfriend.

I am really amazed that there wasn't more buzzing about this among us RFs. It seems incredible that a major Royal could go missing for 10 weeks and hardly any of us noticed.

On a trivial note: I loved his mustache! Very cute.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well it's getting spun negatively which isn't surprising. One day he is the hero, the next day they need a more attack angle...especially now that the media outlets have to play catch up and also deal with the growing reports of how irresponsible it was to withhold the story. It's one big mess overall, the coverage is all over the place...
Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

This seems to be a repeating pattern - after the death of Diana, the media turned the focus of negativity from themselves onto the royal family. Seems to be happening again. I expect they're hoping that if they can get people riled up about what Harry said, or implied, or is said to have said, they'll forget that it was the media that screwed things up for Harry in the first place.

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry