Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Camilla is Church of England what religion her children were raised in is of no relevance as it can't impact the succession to the British throne.

They were raised Roman Catholic because their father was (and I assume still is) Roman Catholic.

Of course.

I think that we'll have to see who William and Harry choose and that will be their preferred partners. All the speculation in the media also seems to make William dig his heels in and refuse to give into their desire for another royal wedding.

Has anyone mentioned this great combination: Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark becoming Princess William of Wales :ohmy: It would be great! Why?

1. He is a 26-year-old future monarch of the United Kingdom and she is a 25-year-old non-Roman Catholic princess who was born in the United Kingdom, grew up in the United Kingdom, and who still lives and studies in the United Kingdom!

2. Their families have always been close, as can be seen by the marriage of William's grandparents, the marriage of Prince George and Princess Marina, the marriage of King Edward VII of the United Kingdom and Alexandra of Denmark, etc.

3. Princess Theodora is in line for the British throne too and William would've been in line for the Greek throne as Greek prince if his grandfather hadn't renounced his titles and succession rights. Yet they are not so closely related either: their closest common ancestors are King George I of Greece and Olga Konstantinovna of Russia, which makes them third cousins. William's grandparents are related more closely (second cousins once removed) and there are no defects, while Theodora's parents are even more closely related (triple third cousins) and there are no defects either. Children of William and Theodora would have more interesting pedigree than children of William and Catherine.

4. She is already royal, so she would not have to adapt to the royal life and duties. She would know perfectly where her place is and wouldn't play Diana card. We would be able to call her by her title and first name without making big mistakes because she is a princess of blood royal (unlike Diana or Catherine).

5. Most importantly, I think she would be very popular as British princess and queen. The British monarchy would become regal once again. Theodora would be loved by media, more than Catherine I suppose. Marriages to "peasants" were popular in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays marriage of son of a king and daughter of a king would be much more interesting.

Do you think that because Kate is not royal?

Well... yes! Commoner girlfriends become celebrities and remain celebrities even after they become royals, which is not good. Princess Theodora is already a princess and the press would respect her as such more than they respect Miss Middleton. I also have a feeling that a foreign (yet British-born-and-raised) princess would cause less scandals than daughter of some millioner. I don't have anything against Catherine, but I think Theodora would do better as British princess and queen. I think Theodora+William would be ideal and it would be like a fairy-tale, but, of course, it's entirely up to two of them...

"Peasants"?! Surely you're exaggerating to make a point, Kotroman. Would you have called Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon a peasant or Lady Alice Montague-Scott? Prince Charles's first wife was the daughter of an Earl, as were the two ladies I mentioned.:nonono:

Marriages to "peasants" were popular in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays marriage of son of a king and daughter of a king would be much more interesting.

I posted before that I 'd like to see Charlotte of Monaco as William's spouse, it would be so interesting combination because of how different they are. Of course William cannot marry catholic:rolleyes:, but whatever, Charlotte could change her faith.
But now I think princess Madeline of Sweden would be perfect choice. She is royal, protestant. I somehow think she is culturally closer to William than say Charlotte. Of course, Madeline is William's generation too. I think Madeline personality would fit William. She seems down-to-earth, fun loving young woman(nothing wrong in that), her style is so modern. So, she has everything: royal blood and quite casual or rather modern style, what might be good combination. In addition Pss. Madeline has obviously experience in royal duties and protocol.:flowers: So switching to the new role would be much easier for her.

William+Charlotte - impossible :nonono:
William+Madelaine - sounds great, but she would lose succession rights and you know how short Swedish line of succession is :nonono:

"Peasants"?! Surely you're exaggerating to make a point, Kotroman. Would you have called Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon a peasant or Lady Alice Montague-Scott? Prince Charles's first wife was the daughter of an Earl, as were the two ladies I mentioned.:nonono:

I did put quotation marks, didn't I? ;) I said "peasants" because the term "commoner" can't be applied since Prince William is legally a commoner too (since he is neither sovereign nor peer). Of course, I didn't mean to say that Catherine Middleton is a an agricultural worker who subsists by working a small plot of ground :flowers: Where have I mentioned Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and Lady Alice Montague-Scott?

First of all, the word peasant may be used in your vocabulary, but to us in the U.S. and I suspect Great Britain, too, the word is comical. Something from a Hollywood movie that takes place in the 1700's. Agricultural workers are farmers here or field workers, but peasants.....Secondly, William is not a commoner, in the respect that you speak, he is of Royal Blood, so to speak which makes him Royal. Just as royal as his grandmother. Of course, all of this is nonsense, as to whom they shall marry will be up to them. No one is better than another, hopefully, he will find someone he can share his life with and cherish, as his father does with his second wife, a "peasant".

I'd like to see William and Charlotte or Pss. Madeline get together. Charlotte can change her faith and Madeline is protestant, they're used to the royal lifestyle and protocols. They won't even have to get used to England bc they've both lived there and Charlotte is still there.

First of all, the word peasant may be used in your vocabulary, but to us in the U.S. and I suspect Great Britain, too, the word is comical. Something from a Hollywood movie that takes place in the 1700's. Agricultural workers are farmers here or field workers, but peasants.....Secondly, William is not a commoner, in the respect that you speak, he is of Royal Blood, so to speak which makes him Royal. Just as royal as his grandmother.

First of all, I used the word (with quotation marks) precisely because it is comical and because the word "commoner" was not a good term. I did not label anyone as peasant, as Wiki's defintion of the word peasant is "agricultural worker who subsists by working a small plot of ground". Secondly, William is legally a commoner. He holds a courtesy title and nothing more. A commoner, in British law, is someone who is neither the Sovereign nor a peer (http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Commoner.htm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peerage). You can consider him a deity if you want, but he is just a commoner in the eyes of law. You've responded in such arrogant manner that a person would think you know what you're talking about...

Of course, all of this is nonsense, as to whom they shall marry will be up to them. No one is better than another, hopefully, he will find someone he can share his life with and cherish, as his father does with his second wife, a "peasant".

I've said that his choice of wife is up to him and that these are just fantasies. I wonder why are you reading this "nonsense" anyway.

Princess Theodora or Princess Madeline would make a good pair with Prince William, IMO. Do I think they have a chance with him... no.:sad:

Because I was bemused by such archaic term as "peasant" and such bombast at why Theodora would be so much better than Kate. Also, the Wiki article you quote, has no sources or citations and until I see this from someone with better credentials on the use of Cmmoner in England, I shall pass on that thought, too.

Wikipedia is not the only source which gives the definition of the term commoner. Others include Peerage - Everything on Peerage (information, latest news, articles,...) and even the parliament's page http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-02666.pdf. The latter says:
"Under this ancient procedure, all persons, whether peers or commoners, may be prosecuted and tried by the two Houses for any crimes whatever"; "If the accused is a peer, he is attached by order of that House. If a commoner, he is arrested by the Commons and delivered to Black Rod." William is neither peer nor sovereign, therefore he is a commoner, just like The Princess Royal and York girls. I hope that the parliament site's "credentials on the use of Cmmoner in England" are good enough to satisfy your criteria.​

Once again, I used the term "peasant" precisely because it is comic and because I couldn't use the term "commoner". I am really surprised that someone actually thinks that I considered The Duchess of Cornwall a peasant :nonono:

And then why are you posting here?;):)

For the same reason everyone else is posting here and in threads such as "Possible names for Marie and Joachim's baby": fantasies and wishes. We all know that William won't marry someone just because we want it, but some fantasies can't hurt anyone. Besides, this place is for discussions and I don't see anything bad in discussing who would be a good wife and consort for William.

After what I read about Theodora, I think she could be perfect match too. In addition to being royal, she was raised in UK, so there will be no problem with adjusting to new country and culture.

Heh,Harry suits Paris Hilton
and William Stella Schnabel

I think that too, but are there any downsides, in your opinion? I really can't think of any. There is no such thing as perfection, so there must be something we're missing (except for possible antagonism between William and Theodora, of course). Would the government of Greece be offended by the marriage or something like that?
Perfect royal match does not guarantee perfect marriage, although it is very fairy tale. I don't know a lot about Theodora, what kind of personality she has. Regarding Greece government, hm mm..., I think that Greece being republic for so long they really don't care.

Heh,Harry suits Paris Hilton
and William Stella Schnabel
Oh no, poor Harry and William they don't deserve those 'ladies'.:ROFLMAO:

well they certainly would keep one another entertained...

Paris Hilton to become Princess Henry of Wales :ROFLMAO: God forbid! :lol:

Perfect royal match does not guarantee perfect marriage, although it is very fairy tale. I don't know a lot about Theodora, what kind of personality she has. Regarding Greece government, hm mm..., I think that Greece being republic for so long they really don't care.

I know, it's entirely possible that William and Theodora can't stand each other, but we can't know that for sure so we should put it aside. The reason I mentioned the Greek government is that they could be offended by the marriage of the future British head of state to a daughter of the man who claims to be the rightful head of state of Greece. It doesn't make sense to us, but we all remember that the President of Greece didn't attend The Prince of Wales's first wedding because Constantine II was invited as King of the Hellenes.

"Peasant" has a more derogatory connotation than "commoner." Perhaps you weren't aware of that.:flowers:

Wikipedia is not the only source which gives the definition of the term commoner. Others include Peerage - Everything on Peerage (information, latest news, articles,...) and even the parliament's page http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-02666.pdf. The latter says:
"Under this ancient procedure, all persons, whether peers or commoners, may be prosecuted and tried by the two Houses for any crimes whatever"; "If the accused is a peer, he is attached by order of that House. If a commoner, he is arrested by the Commons and delivered to Black Rod." William is neither peer nor sovereign, therefore he is a commoner, just like The Princess Royal and York girls. I hope that the parliament site's "credentials on the use of Cmmoner in England" are good enough to satisfy your criteria.​

Once again, I used the term "peasant" precisely because it is comic and because I couldn't use the term "commoner". I am really surprised that someone actually thinks that I considered The Duchess of Cornwall a peasant :nonono:

For the same reason everyone else is posting here and in threads such as "Possible names for Marie and Joachim's baby": fantasies and wishes. We all know that William won't marry someone just because we want it, but some fantasies can't hurt anyone. Besides, this place is for discussions and I don't see anything bad in discussing who would be a good wife and consort for William.

Prince William & Princess Theodora would make for a great couple in a fantasy movie fairytale version of the royal family, definitely. And if this were 1809 or even 1909, I have a feeling they'd probably already be married. But we've all seen in the last thirty years how crucial it is for a modern-day royal to marry for love and genuine companionship rather than to fit a profile of the "correct" royal bride.

Good lord, though, that would be quite a wedding, wouldn't it? I can only imagine what Princess Marie Chantal would wear to the Abbey... ;)

There is no need to be so rude to Kotroman who is just indulging in some light chat.
And yes, William is a commoner in the strict definition of the term.
Google is your friend.
But we've all seen in the last thirty years how crucial it is for a modern-day royal to marry for love and genuine companionship rather than to fit a profile of the "correct" royal bride.
Andrew and Sarah married for love and it was a disaster. There have also been love marriages in other European royal houses that have not been successful (Joakim, Elena, etc.). The new crop of crown princes marriages are too recent to really make a call.
Marrying for love does not guarantee success: most people do marry for love and yet look at the divorce rates. And that's not even taking into account the amazing amount of pressure a royal life puts on a marriage.

By all mean, William should marry someone he loves and trust. But he shouldn't marry only for love imo and keep in mind crown and country as well.

Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson also married for love :rolleyes: Seriously, love is important even though some love marriages don't work out. I agree with Idriel completely: the kingdoms before love. That's one of the sacrifices a prince has to make as opposed to so many prerogatives.

I can't explain why, but Princess Theodora seems much better for the role of princess and queen than Catherine Middleton... perhaps because she is already a princess and doesn't resemble Paris Hilton in any way :)

Good lord, though, that would be quite a wedding, wouldn't it? I can only imagine what Princess Marie Chantal would wear to the Abbey...

Just imagine all the members of the royal families of the United Kingdom, Greece and Denmark entering the Abbey. It would be a large family reunion, international event, a fashion show (Marie-Chantal :lol:), and so much more.

"Peasant" has a more derogatory connotation than "commoner." Perhaps you weren't aware of that.:flowers:

Once again, I couldn't use the word "commoner" and I had no idea that the word "peasant" is so offensive :flowers:

let me add my two cents. Another example of recent royal marriage for love and ended with divorce Joachim and Alexandra in Denmark.

Let's leave out the commoner debate. We went down this road a few months ago with anger and hurt feelings.

Have fun with the bride speculation though! :flowers:

By all mean, William should marry someone he loves and trust. But he shouldn't marry only for love imo and keep in mind crown and country as well.

I agree with you there!! Love is a factor among other factors.

One of the most important factors for any marriage is to KNOW in your very skin that it is going to be hard work. If you are prepared for that and totally willing to accept that, it's half the battle. Then the couple needs also to let go of their selfish single ways, because selfishness is one of the biggest killers of marriages. ....... well, it also can kill friendships...... or any relationship for that matter. I like to think of it like this: "It's not all about me, as there is another person involved here too!"

How about Charlotte Casiraghi for Harry? I think they'd be quite the couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom