The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wills and Harry shouldn't only set their sights on European women imo. There are other royal houses outside of Europe...

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Courtier

I think it would be cool to see one of them end up with an American, harry would be the most likely at this point.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is the royal family ready for an american in the family again?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Majesty

Royal houses outside Europe ... I wonder what houses you have meant.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal Houses in Asia, the Middle East and Africa...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Honestly, I very much doubt a non-Caucasian woman would ever be accepted by the Royal family, and indeed by many of British people. Especially one of Muslim heritage or dark skin.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Then that is a very sad thing..
Old 11-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Majesty

It is possible for royal houses of the Persian Gulf or Asian Royal families to find a suitable wife nicely enhanced by a proper bloodline and hefty dowry(something that not all European Princess can bring) for Prince William or Prince Harry. At the same, I think that Velasco is absolutely correct noting that the British Royals and courtiers may not truly embrace an idea of having exotic Princesses. Hypothetically speaking, I would say that a member of the Aga Khan family might be deemed suitable: rich and European face features and skin colour.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Then that is a very sad thing..
It is indeed.

But the fact is, a huge percentage of the British public is "racist". Some are blatantly so, others not so much - for example, they would treat an Asian well in day-to-day life but would die of a heart attack if one of their own children wanted to marry a "paki". Horrible I know but that is the way alot of people are. It sounds unlikely and untrue, but at the end of the day it is just the way things are. Its not a question of money, breeding or social standing - in the UK a chav who lives in foster care on a council estate is just as discriminating of a wealthy foreigner as an upper-class Brit is of a Kosovan refugee who is coming over to (in his point of view) "steal" his jobs, and live off his money, etc etc.

In the wake of 9/11, the war on terror, bombings, etc, and all of the anti-Asian feeling generated by it in western countries, the thought of an Anglican (even if only nominally) British royal prince marrying a foreign woman of Muslim heritage is fanciful at best.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Majesty

If she were the right American, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Is the royal family ready for an american in the family again?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Exactly. I'd like to see them both marry someone who truly loves them and who will stay the course through all the difficulties that life brings to everyone--let along the particular problems that Royals face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Simple answer:

I would like to see them marry someone they truly love and who truly loves them in return.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Oh yeah I forgot the last American was Wallis? For real...wow that has been long...

Well Peter went for a Canadian...still North America. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is possible for royal houses of the Persian Gulf or Asian Royal families to find a suitable wife nicely enhanced by a proper bloodline and hefty dowry(something that not all European Princess can bring) for Prince William or Prince Harry. At the same, I think that Velasco is absolutely correct noting that the British Royals and courtiers may not truly embrace an idea of having exotic Princesses. Hypothetically speaking, I would say that a member of the Aga Khan family might be deemed suitable: rich and European face features and skin colour.
All very well but we get to the problem of religion. So the only religion that a member of the royal family canīt marry is a Roman Catholic, but what about the other side to the marriage? Would a Muslim royal family be willing to let their Princess convert to Anglican. I am sorry but this just makes me .
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Honestly, I very much doubt a non-Caucasian woman would ever be accepted by the Royal family, and indeed by many of British people. Especially one of Muslim heritage or dark skin.
The idea of the royal family never being able to "accept" a non-white person among them is horrible and I hope not true. How can it be "never"?

I cannot believe The Queen, Prince Philip, or Prince Charles could ever reject someone because of race. I do not believe it. Yes, there are racist people everywhere, but these people, I do not believe they are racist.

If someone rejects someone's husband or wife on racial grounds, that is racism, no different from other kinds. So I think you just accused the royal family of being racist. Do you truly believe they are racist? I have a hard time believing that.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Majesty

Yeah, but we're still in the Commonwealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Well Peter went for a Canadian...still North America. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Gentry

Yes I do. (Unfortunately).

Most of British middle class and especially upper class are, even more so those from older generation.

Even in America, where things are MUCH more liberal, you will note in most Hollywood films that white Caucasian people never date/marry of other race unless race (and interracial relationshiop) itself is the actual subject of the film. Actually, until not long ago depictions of "miscenegation" (sp?) were actually banned in Hollywood. Why? beucase alot of Americans find Caucasian and non-Caucasian relationships "distasteful".

So if so many "commoners" make an issue of it, how much more so those of royal lineage? Who are born, and raised, and live every day in a little world of their own, surrounded by people like them, with the same opinions and mindset, etc. In fact, this is the downfall of many monarchies, since they end up being out of touch with reality (their subjects' reality).

Now, I am not saying that they (BRF) would treat people of other races or religion badly, even if only for political reasons. But it is absolutely ludicrous to suggest that the marriage of a British royal (especially one in the Queen's immediate family) to a non-Caucasian is at all likely.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
All very well but we get to the problem of religion. So the only religion that a member of the royal family canīt marry is a Roman Catholic, but what about the other side to the marriage? Would a Muslim royal family be willing to let their Princess convert to Anglican. I am sorry but this just makes me .
I did not know that I wrote something very funny. I am inclined to think that a Muslim royal family would allow their Princess to convert to Anglicanism knowing that their daughter might become Queen of the United Kingdom. In the end, it would be fair to assume that Prince William and Prince Harry are sentenced to marry some commoners for love so that British people can relive the Cinderella story once again.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

While it's all be said before, they should marry someone that they love...and has a thick-skin. because life as a princess won't be all tiaras and ball gowns!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Majesty

I don't think that wanting Harry and William to marry for love is necessarily because we want a Cinderella story. We wouldn't want to see either of them marry out of a sense of "duty." There's a difference between marrying for love and marrying for infatuation. Many couples are "crazy about each other" and end up in divorce courts. Love goes the distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I did not know that I wrote something very funny. I am inclined to think that a Muslim royal family of Islam would allow their Princess to convert to Anglicanism knowing that their daughter might become Queen of the United Kingdom. In the end, it would be fair to assume that Prince William and Prince Harry are sentenced to marry some commoners for love so that British people can relive the Cinderella story once again.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Yes, exactly. There has to be some sort of real attachment between people who marry--because life has its hard parts for every couple. William and his bride will have no money worries, but they could one day be leading a nation at war or have other crises where people will look up to them for some kind of guidance--and that's a heavier burden than being chased by the paparazzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose28 View Post
While it's all be said before, they should marry someone that they love...and has a thick-skin. because life as a princess won't be all tiaras and ball gowns!

Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william