The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Breeding is everything in a Royal marriage. Look at Constantine and Anne-Marie. Alright the throne went belly-up but they are perfectly suited and they both know how to behave. They represented Greece and Denmark respectively very well and when was there ever scandal? Exactly. Okay so Theodora and William are vaguely related but Theodora has been photographed by the press since she was an egg, her lineage is perfect and she knows most of the world's royalty. She can look good at a Royal wedding or a state banquet and she could easily handle the job of Queen of England. And Anglo-Greek marriages work. Look at the present pair we've got - flawless. And as for her father's part in history, William would be marrying Theodora not Constantine.

Look, some commoners work. Camilla's lineage isn't common at all and let's face it, she was born to be Royal but Kate Middleton obviously wasn't. Sophie Rhys Jones took a while to learn the ropes. Tim Lawrence is hopeless. Everyone should stick to their own sort - it makes things alot easier. And after all, if William goes for a commoner what makes that commoner suddenly better than the rest of the population? A Royal bride would automatically command respect through her pedigree. And that's what we need.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I think so. That's not to say he couldn't marry a commoner.....he may very well do so. But the reality is an aristocratic girl with appropriate bloodlines would be desirable to continue the royal line.
It's probably the pesky, rebellious Colonial in me speaking, but I think "bloodlines" are greatly over-rated when it comes to who is or is not going to fare well under the restraints and demands of Royal life. What is needed is a person with the right personality, and that is a very individual thing and not guaranteed by bloodlines, IMO.

I also think that the English Royals and aristocrats are probably already inbred enough, and that some new blood, with some fresh ideas, would be a better idea. Of course the person in question would need to be reasonably well educated and appropriately bred, with the basic social graces, but not necessarily blue-blooded. Perhaps there are some suitable young Scottish women who share William's interests and are not closely related to the RF, or maybe someone among the protestant Irish girls.

And maybe it's the nature and structure of Royal life that needs to change a bit to accommodate the needs and expectations of its cast of players in this modern world, not the other way around.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Harry may be able to do that, but not William. He's a future king.
I disagree. This is 2007. You never know what may happen. I believe William will marry for love AND duty, but not sacrifice love FOR duty. God bless the future queen of England whatever class, race, color she be.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Yes and maybe we can have a proper Queen Consort for Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the Dominions?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Breeding is everything in a Royal marriage. Look at Constantine and Anne-Marie. Alright the throne went belly-up but they are perfectly suited and they both know how to behave.
What about CP Mary of Denmark, CP Maxima of the Netherlands and CP Mette-Marit? Are they not common by birth but still behaving well? I think if behavior is the main thing that matters, then by golly, just about anyone can learn that. The high class are not the only ones with access to etiquette and manners and breefing. These women were not raised in royalty yet they each look like royals by blood to me.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
What about CP Mary of Denmark, CP Maxima of the Netherlands and CP Mette-Marit? Are they not common by birth but still behaving well? I think if behavior is the main thing that matters, then by golly, just about anyone can learn that. The high class are not the only ones with access to etiquette and manners and breefing. These women were not raised in royalty yet they each look like royals by blood to me.
Denmark, Holland and Sweden are very small societies and never had a titled aristocracy and landed peerage which flowed from the fount of the Crown. There are thousands of years of precedent and heritage between the British monarchy and the British aristocracy.

It is very different for a commoner to marry into that versus becoming a princess in the other monarchies you mention.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 AM

Who the heck cares about breeding? There isn't a need for Prince William to have heirs. The succession is more than secure for God's sake. If Prince William and Prince Harry don't expand the line of succession, Prince Charles has siblings, neices and nephews and a ga-zillion cousins all over Europe, the UK et al.
Camilla Shand was a commoner like Middleton and, far as I can tell, is doing fine in her role as future Queen.
You guys can talk until you are blue in the face about your Princesses of non-existent-anymore Prussia, but I don't see that coming to pass, in fact..... It's almost as unlikely as Queen Britney or Queen Paris!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think you are mistaken about Denmark, branchg. Their aristocracy is still intact although not part of a House of Lords. But then neither is the British aristocracy any more.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I think you are mistaken about Denmark, branchg. Their aristocracy is still intact although not part of a House of Lords. But then neither is the British aristocracy any more.
Yes, there is a definitely strong as ever Danish, Swedish, even Dutch nobility.
Norway does not have an aristocracy, though, the Norwegian royals have often delved into the pool of larger Scandinavian nobility and royalty for 'breeding' potential. The Norwegian royal family is young and the XX royals married commoners.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Who'll wed Wills? Bookies taking bets on Kylie

British bookmakers were taking bets Saturday on who Prince William will marry following his reported split from girlfriend Kate Middleton, with Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue among the front runners.

Who'll wed Wills? Bookies taking bets on Kylie - Yahoo! News UK

Now if he marries Britney, I would think all the people who were so nasty about Catherine, would soon change their tune!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Who'll wed Wills? Bookies taking bets on Kylie

British bookmakers were taking bets Saturday on who Prince William will marry following his reported split from girlfriend Kate Middleton, with Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue among the front runners.

Who'll wed Wills? Bookies taking bets on Kylie - Yahoo! News UK

Now if he marries Britney, I would think all the people who were so nasty about Catherine, would soon change their tune!
No way for Britney - even Charles would be against her!
Kylie I like her but she is little elder than Will.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Royal Highness

I just read that William´s next girl wil be Tara Palmer Tomkinson ....so he would have someone to make party all night....
( I think we can fill this thread with new names now day by day.... )
Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't she little to old for Will - only eleven years?
But it looks that Wills likes parties
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
What's so bad about marrying a DIVORCED COMMONER?
Let's face it - Diana didn't work very fine in that royal family and she was as noble as they come. Camilla (who is, I believe, A DIVORCED COMMONER) seems to have an easier time with them.
Don't you think it's a matter of personality and character rather than marital state?
And Camilla is not that 'common' anyway with the Barons Ashcombe, the Earls of Albemarle, the Viscounts of Bury, the Barons of Ashford, the Baronets Edmonstone, the Baronets Napier MacNab, the Baronets Rowley, the Barons Beaumont Hotham, the Barons Clifford, etc. in her direct and straight ancestry.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Denmark, Holland and Sweden are very small societies and never had a titled aristocracy and landed peerage which flowed from the fount of the Crown. There are thousands of years of precedent and heritage between the British monarchy and the British aristocracy.

It is very different for a commoner to marry into that versus becoming a princess in the other monarchies you mention.
Size, precedent and heritage don't have anything to do with it. I'm talking about character and bahavior. Royalty does not have a monopoly on class. The formalities of royal life can most certainly be learned. When William chooses a wife, he should choose one suitable for the job AND one he loves. I could care less if she's a commoner.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
And Camilla is not that 'common' anyway with the Barons Ashcombe, the Earls of Albemarle, the Viscounts of Bury, the Barons of Ashford, the Baronets Edmonstone, the Baronets Napier MacNab, the Baronets Rowley, the Barons Beaumont Hotham, the Barons Clifford, etc. in her direct and straight ancestry.
Well, maybe not a real commoner but f.ex. noble commoner?

She is Charles cousin by James I Stuart Relationship
Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Aristocracy

Problem with marrying "common" commoners is that soon our royals will be just the same as the folk down the street. OK for them but if that is the case then we should become republicans and vote for whom we want as our head of state. The aristocracy are part of our history- yes, some deservedly controversial issues but the ancient monarachs created our countries.These new monarchs are going to be very different and perhaps become unnecessary which is a shame.
What about the CPs chosing a few girlfriends and we will go ahead and vote for the best one
Old 04-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

The European Continent, including the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark really still have noble dynasties of 600, 700, 800 years old, or even elder. The Orange-Nassaus for an example already were noble 831 years ago (their eldest documented Adelsbrief). There are old Dutch noble dynasties which have a younger spin-off in the United Kingdom like Bentinck (Earls of Portland), Keppel (Earls of Albermarle) or British nobility with a Dutch spin-off like Prince of Waterloo (Wellesley, Dukes of Wellington). There are also double noble titles in both the Dutch and English peerage like Boreel of Amsterdam, baronets (also British since 1645), Van Colster, baronets (also British since 1645), Sas van Bosch, baronets (also British since 1680), De Raedt, baronets (also British, changed in Rhett), etc.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
True, Camilla Shand was of a "good" country family with polo club and Hunt memberships. They were more than "upper middle class" (like the Middletons) because of their aristocratic connections. I never understood why Lord Mountbatten (or was it the Duke of E?) told Prince Charles that Miss Shand would be "good mistress material" but not "good wife material". Maybe because Lord M was trying so hard to boost up his granddaughter, everyone else wasn't "good wife material".
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
True, Camilla Shand was of a "good" country family with polo club and Hunt memberships. They were more than "upper middle class" (like the Middletons) because of their aristocratic connections. I never understood why Lord Mountbatten (or was it the Duke of E?) told Prince Charles that Miss Shand would be "good mistress material" but not "good wife material". Maybe because Lord M was trying so hard to boost up his granddaughter, everyone else wasn't "good wife material".
I think it was a little of both...to boost up his grand daughter's chances and because at the time...Camilla had a past. Back then...it was "expected" that the wife to the heir to the throne would be a virgin. And Camilla was not. So while she had the breeding she didn't have the reputation so to speak.

I think William shoudl marry someone from the British artistocracy..and now he is finished with Kate...chances are he will. Someone from his crowd, who understandes his position. Not that Kate didn't. She was a nice pretty girl but she never set my world on fire. Not that it matters what I think

I am still rooting for Theodora of Greece!

Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william