The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Love is secondary to producing a legitimate heir for the dynasty. They can marry a princely Baden or Schaumburg Lippe and let love - whatever that means - develop.
You make me think of the Prince of Wales...and we all know how well that turned out.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Love is secondary to producing a legitimate heir for the dynasty. They can marry a princely Baden or Schaumburg Lippe and let love - whatever that means - develop.
I think that stipulation is long gone and archaic. It didn't work well for Charles and Diana and I don't think honestly it would work for any royal in the 21st century. Dynastic bloodlines just aren't as crucial to a country or kingdom as they used to be with most monarchies being a constitutional one.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:

That is 19th century thinking.

First and foremost William must find a woman whom he loves completely, trusts completely and understands that he must come first in the public consciousness. She must also love William the man and not William the Prince and future King. We know that that no longer works - just look at Diana - in love with the Prince of Wales but not the man who held the title and unable to tell the difference at 19 (even her mother asked her that because she was too well aware of her daughter's infatuation with Charles the Prince as a teenager). I think William may have found the woman who meets those qualifications in Kate, that they have already set their personal timeline for engagement announcement and marriage but that at the moment only two people know those plans and they are William and Kate. I don't believe they have told anyone else including Harry, Charles or the Queen (and they need the Queen's permission - or William could appeal to parliament and then wait a year for no opposition from either House of Parliament to be raised - in order to legally marry anyway).

I too would like to see royals marrying royals in order to keep the royal bloodlines (like you would keep thoroughbred horses bloodlines pure) but that is no longer going to happen so increasingly the royals will marry commoners and be in love with them but if any Jane, Mary or Susan can 'become' a princess then there is nothing special about being royal so they will simply fade away.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see most royal dynasties disappear in the next 100 years because of this factor along with their total irrelevance to everyday people and people asking why should they have all the perks and have the nation's top job just because of an accident of birth rather than on merit.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

To rob2008: Perhaps you should be the matchmaker as you seem to want to match royals together.

A woman who comes from a low socio-economic status doesn't stand a chance of marriage to any royal period. I'm just curoius. Does anyone know of a woman of a low social class standing who married into royalty. The American woman who have married into royalty were upper middle class, the American wealthy elite or had royal blood in their veins. A few might have been middle class but that is about as low as it went. They were not average American women that's for sure.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Commoner

What about an american lower class women who is not out for money or fame, but may be studing over in england - would you think that prince william might date or marry somebody outside of his race or rank. carmen jones
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post

A woman who comes from a low socio-economic status doesn't stand a chance of marriage to any royal period. I'm just curoius. Does anyone know of a woman of a low social class standing who married into royalty.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit didn't come from a family that was that well off, probaby just middle class, plus she was a single mother when she married and Crown Princesses Mary came from an upper middle-class family.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Serene Highness

Upper middle class or middle class is very different than low socio economic status. What I'm refering to is someone whose parents had low or very low income and who basically just got by.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Gentry

I think Kate is the one. Like I said before both have been together for so long and keeping now a low profile. Look at Daniel and Victoria, dating for so many years and ending in marriage.

I don't think he will marry a foreigner, he doesn't go outside the UK that much. But it could be interesting too.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh yes, the Kents had huge glamour. I wouldn't disagree with that for a moment. It must have been devastating when that handsome and popular Duke died during the war.

I think that both The Duke of York and The Duke of Gloucester were considered dull compared to The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Kent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
The Kents wedding was an absolute media and public succes. Don't think the same for the Yorks and the Gloucester. I don't mean they were unpopular but they weren't received with the same enthusiasm, AFAIK
Old 09-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Such an old fashioned thing to say, this is the 21st Century.
Love should always come first.
William already has an heir if he cannot produce children, his brother.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Such an old fashioned thing to say, this is the 21st Century.
Love should always come first.
William already has an heir if he cannot produce children, his brother.

And Beatrice, Eugenie, James, Louise, Peter, unborn child and Zara just from the Queen before the line moves to Princess Margaret's children.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
And Beatrice, Eugenie, James, Louise, Peter, unborn child and Zara just from the Queen before the line moves to Princess Margaret's children.
Not forgetting Andrew, Edward and Anne. If the bourgeois concept of love replaced the imperative for lawful dynastic succession as the motivation for marriage then monarchy would very quickly be at an end.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Not forgetting Andrew, Edward and Anne. If the bourgeois concept of love replaced the imperative for lawful dynastic succession as the motivation for marriage then monarchy would very quickly be at an end.

Love has become the most important reason for marriage for royals rather than dynastic considerations. It is one of the reasons why I no longer see a reason for monarchies to exist.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Commoner

I think that William could marry someone who is black or Hispanic, the whole thing is that he loves the person who is not out for money or fame so why not what is good for the goose is good for the gander
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

Warren

It was not and is not my intention to provoke members. I apologise if they feel affronted. Their opinions are as valid as mine. However, I think in any civilized society, or indeed a good friendship there should be considered and honest discussion. Otherwise it smacks or paternalism and - after all if I posted a message inviting discussion on the religion or politics of a future bride for Prince William of Wales I'd be edited, and rightly so.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You are a rare voice of reason among the "marriage for the love only" hysterics.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Love has become the most important reason for marriage for royals rather than dynastic considerations. It is one of the reasons why I no longer see a reason for monarchies to exist.
Monarchies are doomed no matter who marries whom. Perhaps we should remember that royals were developed over time. No provision for a separate track for royals in either evolution or creation theories.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

If the two parties can't stand each other and they are forced to marry, then you're going to have a very serious problem. If they had no interest or attraction to each other, then you still going to have a serious problem. They have to have something in common.

If there is no love or affection towards each other or that never devleops, then it shouldn't be shocking when one of them steps out. When someone steps out of a marriage, it's usually because something in the marriage is lacking emotionally or spiritually. The person they step out with usually fulfills that need that the other party is unable to do so. But I guess if you don't really love someone, then them stepping out really wouldn't bother you that much, would it. It would bother you a lot, if you did love them.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Isn't Alexandra Knatchbull related to William through his Mountbatten grandfather? According to a lot of posts, being related is a no-no. She is a lovely-looking girl though. Anyone know anything about her?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Isn't Alexandra Knatchbull related to William through his Mountbatten grandfather? According to a lot of posts, being related is a no-no. She is a lovely-looking girl though. Anyone know anything about her?

Amanda Knatchbull is 53 this year so I don't think she is on the list - she was Mountbatten's preferred choice for Charles.

If you mean Alexandra Knatchbull (she was born in 1982) then yes they are related having common great-great-grandparents

Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (grand-daughter of Queen Victoria) - Alice - Philip - Charles - William

Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine - Louis - Patricia Mountbatten (currently the Countess Mountbatten or Burma) - Lord Brabourne - Alexandra

They aren't as closely related as the Queen and Philip as they are both great-grand children of Queen Victoria but Philip is one generation less from Christian IX of Denmark compared to Elizabeth.

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william