Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact of the matter is millions of women tune out at the mention of the word feminism. They’re plenty of the them in my family.

If Meghan wants to support women’s rights, that’s great. The rights of all women though, not just the ones who ‘identify’ as feminists.
I admit I'm one of them, I'm not a feminist I consider myself a humanist. Meghan should steer clear of the political mindfield that is that term.

It's not political.

But, on to other things, there's a tweet from Kensington Palace
It says she and Harry are visiting @ReprezentRadio to see them working in creative training in radio for young people. She could get involved in causes that have to do with young people having access to the arts. Which could be a good thing (at least a personal thing) with her acting background.

If she wanted to take up a cause that dovetails with Harry's work with veterans, she could get involved with groups that assist the spouses and families of deployed or returning soldiers. Goodness knows there are a lot of challenges for folks in that situation.

People have a strange idea of feminism. If she takes up the cause of domestic violence, that's feminism. Including making sure male victims have support. Right now, she might solely focus on issues in the UK. But, if she eventually re-branches out into supporting girls having access to sanitary products so they can get an education, that is also feminism. And neither of those things is political. Or requires you to agree with certain views beyond what I hope is the non controversial view that human beings should be helped and supported.

No, she doesn't necessarily need to use the word feminist or identify herself as one. But, if she's supporting causes that people agree are good and necessary, are they suddenly going to view those causes differently if she dares to use the word feminist in conjunction with them?

It would be a crying shame if people let the loudest voices twist something like feminism into something bad. We don't know if Meghan will ever use the word feminist again (I'm in the camp that she should). But, if she's allowed to, and she does, how about we look at what causes she's involved in and decide what that word means to her and who she's decided to support and figure out how she defines the word. Instead of jumping to conclusions that if she uses the word, we know everything about how she feels. Remember, feminists aren't a monolith. Just because the loudest and the biggest attention getters feel a certain way, doesn't mean we all approach it that way.

And my initial reason for hoping she uses the word again is that I think it's beyond silly not to (it's not inherently political, so there's really no constraint against it). But, now, I hope she does so that certain issues become associated with feminism. If you look up Prince Harry and feminism, there's a lot of articles about a speech he gave about how men need to also speak up for women. No, I don't think he used the F word, but make no mistake, it was a feminist speech. So maybe if people use the word when talking about domestic violence or education for girls or postpartum depression or anything like that, people would see that feminism isn't a bad thing. Just in how you use the term.

+ a million, Dani. :flowers:

I'm going to go off the grid here and not jump on the feminist bandwagon. One thing the monarchy does that makes it so unique is that it represents all the people. Not male people. Not female people. Not white people. Not black people or red, yellow and caramel people. Not old people or tall, short, fat and skinny people. All people.

Shouldn't this be the goal for everyone? Erase the divisions that separate groups of people. With Camilla supporting the cause of domestic violence, it could also include domestic violence against males. Bullying and addiction affects all people. Empowerment of females could be a part of empowering all youths.

I hope she does stick to causes that draws all people in to make a difference rather than see a focus on one segment of humanity. Sometimes, I feel that a focus on one segment of society tends to seem to denigrate another. An example of that would be the feminist movement we saw starting in the 60s and 70s with coining the popular term at the time "male chauvinist pig".

Just another way of looking at things.

Harry focusing on military and veterans is clearly a very specific subdivision of society. I am afraid that it would be hard to focus on causes that draw in all people. However, I agree that it is important that the royal family (and especially the monarch) isn't focused on only one group within society at the cost of other groups. That's probably why children are an easy focus as most people (but still not everyone!) in society will have some relationship to children. Focusing on the elderly could be a topic that could use some attention as well and unite people of all walks of life (and it would be refreshing if that came from the younger generation - so far, I mainly associate the duchess of Gloucester with elderly-related topics).

Last edited:
Harry focusing on military and veterans is clearly a very specific subdivision of society. I am afraid that it would be hard to focus on causes that draws in all people. However, I agree that it is important that the royal family (and especially the monarch) isn't focused on only one group within society at the cost of other groups. That's probably why children are an easy focus as most people (but still not everyone!) in society will have some relationship to children. Focusing on the elderly could be a topic that could use some attention as well and unite people of all walks of life (and it would be refreshing if that came from the younger generation - so far, I mainly associate the duchess of Gloucester with elder-related topics).

I was just in the middle of writing a post similar to this. But, lets say she does want to shine a light on postpartum depression. It's unique to women, but its not at the cost of others. And that's not saying if she champions that cause that she's not going to also support a charity fighting a disease that affects men and women.

I don't even know if postpartum disease is something she's even thought of. It's just the only thing aside from sanitary products that will fit this example.

But, it just seems to me if their job is to do good and support charities and causes, there's a lot of cosmetic restrictions on them (and are these actual restrictions are just what the posters feel they should be involved in?) that are stopping them from doing the job to their fullest potential.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting causes that affect the well being of mother and child. Nor is it detrimental to focus on, lets say, spouses of active and veteran military personnel. Teenage well being and empowerment and physical and mental hygiene also is a good focus.

Just need to stay away from labels. Such as "feminist". Using labels to define oneself shows you're putting yourself into a specific group that alienates others. We see this no matter where we go. Everyone describes themselves as something. I most definitely would not see Meghan coming out and specifically stating that she's sponsoring "Girl Power". Addressing teenage pregnancy and education yes. Girl Power, no. :D

We’ve seen so many times the ‘sisterhood’ only supports women with the ‘correct’ views of world. Deviate from from the hymn sheet and you’re out of luck

Of course feminism is political and I see nothing to be gained for Meghan to campaign as a feminist while she’s a royal.

Feminism is not inherently political and anyone who believes in such things as "correct views" is not really a feminist (although I think that's more a stereotype of feminism than anything else).

I really don't care if Meghan ever says the word "feminist" again. It would be nice if she did but I think it's more important that she be allowed to express herself through her work. If she desires and is given the opportunity to work on issues and with charities that center women and their wants/needs, then that's really all that matters.

:applaudsforOsipi:
That's exactly how I feel. I don't know if there is anyone in the BRF that champions causes that aren't for the betterment of society as a whole or that have a history of denigrating another part of the population.
Post partumdepression could be Meghan's in with WKH's mental health crusade.

Last edited:
Feminism is not inherently political and anyone who believes in such things as "correct views" is not really a feminist (although I think that's more a stereotype of feminism than anything else).

I really don't care if Meghan ever says the word "feminist" again. It would be nice if she did but I think it's more important that she be allowed to express herself through her work. If she desires and is given the opportunity to work on issues and with charities that center women and their wants/needs, then that's really all that matters.

Agreed. It doesn't really matter whether she ever says feminist again, because she's already said it plenty, proudly declares she is one and made it very clear how she feels about it. Her work will speak for her.

If she does take up the cause of postpartum depression, I plan to take full credit (joke).

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...and-meghan-markle-are-keen-to-start-a-family/

Take this for what it's worth. Interesting part:

The Suits alum, 36, and the Captain General of the Royal Marines, 33, are eager to enjoy married life before expanding their brood. “There is so much they want to do as a couple, and Meghan is really keen to begin working for the British Monarchy,” the source adds, noting that Markle “is already having private meetings with charities that Harry has helped set up so she can get to know the humanitarian landscape of the U.K.”

A view from a middle-aged male who dimly remembers his childhood days when women didn't have equal rights and feminists were denounced in the media as kooks:

I think it's a little ridiculous when some women state they don't consider themselves to be feminists. Really? They don't believe in the political, economic, personal, or social equality of the sexes? Are they sitting at home waiting for the male breadwinner to arrive from work so they can hand him his slippers & the newspaper so he can read it while they prepare his supper? I work in a university and the other day I overhead a female student tell another student she wasn't a feminist. "So why are you here?" I remember thinking. "Just husband shopping?" Because if you're not a feminist then by definition you don't support equality for the sexes & therefore you wouldn't be wasting time or money pursuing a career. Good grief! Who do you think fought to remove all the barriers that existed for women? Those "kooky" feminists!

And does that mean all feminists are required to agree with one another on all issues or even what equality means? Of course not. Belonging to a political party doesn't mean you necessarily accept all the views of that party or its members. So please, even though you have good reasons for disagreeing with *individual* feminists, or a specific wing within the feminist movement, do NOT denigrate the word "feminist."

So Meghan identified Harry and herself as feminists? You go girl! You have my full support!

A view from a middle-aged male who dimly remembers his childhood days when women didn't have equal rights and feminists were denounced in the media as kooks:

I think it's a little ridiculous when some women state they don't consider themselves to be feminists. Really? They don't believe in the political, economic, personal, or social equality of the sexes? Are they sitting at home waiting for the male breadwinner to arrive from work so they can hand him his slippers & the newspaper so he can read it while they prepare his supper? I work in a university and the other day I overhead a female student tell another student she wasn't a feminist. "So why are you here?" I remember thinking. "Just husband shopping?" Because if you're not a feminist then by definition you don't support equality for the sexes & therefore you wouldn't be wasting time or money pursuing a career. Good grief! Who do you think fought to remove all the barriers that existed for women? Those "kooky" feminists!

And does that mean all feminists are required to agree with one another on all issues or even what equality means? Of course not. Belonging to a political party doesn't mean you necessarily accept all the views of that party or its members. So please, even though you have good reasons for disagreeing with *individual* feminists, or a specific wing within the feminist movement, do NOT denigrate the word "feminist."

So Meghan identified Harry and herself as feminists? You go girl! You have my full support!

Wild applause!
?

Gawin,

Not all women want to identify as feminists. That doesn't mean they don't believe in things like equal rights/pay etc etc. I don't think it's right that you try to shame them or make them uncomfortable because they don't either. After all part of the point of being equal etc is being able to determine for yourself and having your choices accepted even if not agreed with.

LaRae

I think the statement announcing that Harry is a "feminist" goes a long way to state openly that this will be an equal marriage in partnership, work, and home. No one person "wears the pants" or "does women's work" or defers to the other. That's what a true partnership is.

I also know that things will not be totally equal between the sexes until there is no need anymore for terms like "feminists". My ideal world is one devoid of all labels and the embracing of each other as individuals without any kind of labels attached.

I do believe that Harry and Meghan will be astounding together in everything they do and as Meghan finds her niche in the scheme of things, her individuality is going to shine through and be encouraged. She won't be standing at a podium speaking out on issues and areas that need change that could be construed as political but she sure will be able to nose dive into areas where doing can bring about those changes needed. :D

Gawin,

Not all women want to identify as feminists. That doesn't mean they don't believe in things like equal rights/pay etc etc. I don't think it's right that you try to shame them or make them uncomfortable because they don't either. After all part of the point of being equal etc is being able to determine for yourself and having your choices accepted even if not agreed with.

LaRae

This may be true, but it does not change the fact that if they believe in gender equality and so forth, they are the textbook definition of a feminist. They are just in denial.

This may be true, but it does not change the fact that if they believe in gender equality and so forth, they are the textbook definition of a feminist. They are just in denial.

Yeah just prove my point why don't you. And folks wonder why not all women want to be called feminist.

LaRae

Yeah just prove my point why don't you. And folks wonder why not all women want to be called feminist.

LaRae

Well said. If people want to call themselves feminists then that's fine and there is nothing wrong with not wanting to put a label on yourself.

I'm old enough to have remember when this movement started and I've even broken a few glass ceilings in my time and worked hard to ensure equality in the workplace.

I have never called myself a feminist.

LaRae

What exacly is the problem? Presumably most people in the West believe in equal rights for women, which is the basis of the feminist point of view.

Exactly, thank you cepe. I hate the labels! My mother helped to break the glass ceilings in her career field (a very male oriented institution), so I was raised with a strong example, but she would of never called herself a feminist.

I have never felt the need to do so either. I resent it when I am told (or other women are told) that because we don't go along with their rules that we are somehow 'hurting the cause' or in denial etc.

What exacly is the problem? Presumably most people in the West believe in equal rights for women, which is the basis of the feminist point of view.

The problem is how self professed feminists treat other women who don't go along with the narrative or dare to choose to live differently than they think they should.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, there is nothing more feminine than a woman that knows her own mind and proudly makes her own decisions. Whether its crashing through glass ceilings or reveling in home and family or driving a semi, its the freedom of choice. To put a label on another woman and degrade her for not "joining the cause" and marching as a suffragette against inequality is actually detrimental to the cause in my eyes. Its putting a woman in the same boat as those that have put her in the "little woman" doing "women's work"boat did by telling her that this is how she should be and go with the flow as a sheeple.

Total equality between the sexes begin when the woman knows her own mind, follows her own path and does not kowtow to how she should be, what she should do with her life and how to go about it. Meghan is this sort of woman in my book. She's a strong woman that knows her own mind and knows what she wants in life and follows her own path.

I, myself, refuse to be a sheeple. :D

Can we please stop with the feminist and what it means to each person on a personal level here? Meghan identifies as a feminist and has been a very good example for feminism. And according to her Harry is one as well, not that that's surprising.

If ‘feminism’ is only about equal rights then why the need to single people out with a label.

Very, very few people don’t support equal rights.

Megan is a ‘feminist’, Harry is a ‘feminist’, so are most women and men in that they support equal rights.

Nothing earth shattering.

Time to move on...

"Women don't need to find their voice, women have a voice, they just need to be encouraged to use it"

Very well said Meghan Markle. I think that's an issue a lot don't realize. Women have a voice, but we aren't going to move forward by just women talking. That's only one aspect of it. In order to change to happen, we need everyone to come together and work together and support each other.

"Women don't need to find their voice, women have a voice, they just need to be encouraged to use it"

Very well said Meghan Markle. I think that's an issue a lot don't realize. Women have a voice, but we aren't going to move forward by just women talking. That's only one aspect of it. In order to change to happen, we need everyone to come together and work together and support each other.

Everything she said was completely right and it's really really nice to hear a (future) royal advocate for something like this in such a blunt way. It's not political - how could helping women be heard on issues like these be political. It's clearly wrong vs right and so glad to see Meghan speaking so plainly about it.

We need that kind of candor from her and Harry, Kate and William. From all of our world leaders.

I enjoyed reading about this and listening to the videos. Meghan is really really good at this.

Her comments about women already having a voice - they just need to be heard and listened to and then her comments on helping smaller grassroots orgs have TRF power behind them to help them together... brilliant.

I continue to be impressed with her public speaking off the cuff like that.

Meghan was incredible! Today's event reminded me of her touching UN speech. She's a fabulous advocate for women. Who knew that the little 11 year-old girl, who so passionately and eloquently fought against a sexist Ivory Soap ad, would still be fighting for women in 2018? She's wonderful.

A soon to be royal telling everyone that she fundamentally disagrees with something (in this case the idea that women need to find their voice) is quite a different way of approaching issues you care about than what mostly can be expected of future members. I am sure there are lots of people within the movement using this phrase. Alienating is not a common royal strategy.

So, on the one hand I really like her frankness but on the other hand she might need to learn to find other ways of getting the message across (in her new role).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom