The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Oh come on, most grooms have done that so far and told the world without needing to be forced why they thought their fiancee is the most fascinating woman in the world. And with that they told the world of course why they love her. Okay, it was a bit different with Charles who told the world that he was astonished Diana would have him or words of that meaning IIRC. Which on looking back was giving away quite a lot...

I just looked the video up again: BBC News Player - 1981: Charles and Diana to wed

Hmm... well, yes, Charles did definately not say hwy he loved her. In fact, looking back I've never ever seen such a strained looking couple.
i have never seen that video before untill now all i can say is deja vu

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

the fact she has never publicly spoken about their relationship particulary after the split she is a safe option who keeps her silence

Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy

On the subject of Kate Middleton's wardrobe: I know people complain about her clothes, but in fact, she dresses quite well. She manages to combine discreet elegance with youthful chic, and that is not easy. But the result is more attractive (and sexier, in my view) than a blatant embrace of every trend that comes down the pike. I really don't know what the complainers want Middleton to wear; remember that the late Princess of Wales actually dressed badly before her marriage and for some years thereafter, and even when she hit her stride, she wasn't what I would call "fashion forward." She couldn't be, in her position. Is Middleton supposed to dress like Sarah Jessica Parker in "Sex and the City"? God forbid. That's clown territory.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Kate's style very much. Her clothes are on-trend but not "trendy", and she wears things that flatter her and are suitable for the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
On the subject of Kate Middleton's wardrobe: I know people complain about her clothes, but in fact, she dresses quite well. She manages to combine discreet elegance with youthful chic, and that is not easy. But the result is more attractive (and sexier, in my view) than a blatant embrace of every trend that comes down the pike. I really don't know what the complainers want Middleton to wear; remember that the late Princess of Wales actually dressed badly before her marriage and for some years thereafter, and even when she hit her stride, she wasn't what I would call "fashion forward." She couldn't be, in her position. Is Middleton supposed to dress like Sarah Jessica Parker in "Sex and the City"? God forbid. That's clown territory.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Courtier

Perhaps, Jo, when and if she does become his fiancee he'll do just that!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh come on, most grooms have done that so far and told the world without needing to be forced why they thought their fiancee is the most fascinating woman in the world. And with that they told the world of course why they love her. Okay, it was a bit different with Charles who told the world that he was astonished Diana would have him or words of that meaning IIRC. Which on looking back was giving away quite a lot...

I just looked the video up again: BBC News Player - 1981: Charles and Diana to wed

Hmm... well, yes, Charles did definately not say hwy he loved her. In fact, looking back I've never ever seen such a strained looking couple.

I concur. Watching that BBC video clip... Hello! Awkward!!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
I concur. Watching that BBC video clip... Hello! Awkward!!
And I wonder why we all believed in the great love affair. At least I and all people I knew back then were convinced Charles had fallen for her and she for him. Why was that? Only the media? That is possible? If I think that Charles realised at some point what had happened back then and shared it with his son and William shared that knowledge with Catherine, then I wouldn't wonder if the "split" was just to stop the media form playing that game and forcing them.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
And I wonder why we all believed in the great love affair. At least I and all people I knew back then were convinced Charles had fallen for her and she for him. Why was that? Only the media? That is possible? If I think that Charles realised at some point what had happened back then and shared it with his son and William shared that knowledge with Catherine, then I wouldn't wonder if the "split" was just to stop the media form playing that game and forcing them.
Perhaps I am just a cynic, to me it was clear that this was not a match made in heaven and Diana was in love with the Prince of Wales and not Charles the man. I saw no chemistry between them before or after this interview.

With William and Catherine, you can almost 'feel' the effort not to touch.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Perhaps I am just a cynic, to me it was clear that this was not a match made in heaven and Diana was in love with the Prince of Wales and not Charles the man. I saw no chemistry between them before or after this interview.

With William and Catherine, you can almost 'feel' the effort not to touch.
I guess perception is everything then, I don't "see" any passion between Kate and William.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Courtier

Why might it be necessary to 'see' passion between William and Catherine at all?

To be honest I've never once seen 'passion' between HM and her Duke over many long years.

William and Catherine are doing well enough, by my reckoning.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I guess perception is everything then, I don't "see" any passion between Kate and William.
Ahh, I was not talking about passion or lust, just the feeling that they would like to hold hands or link arms and just like many youngsters, in the presence of the old farts, they know they must refrain.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
See, I think Kate has a lot of lovely outward characteristics including looks and demeanour, but that doesn't mean much to me because I know very little about who she is "inside"...less so than other royals because she is very private. So while I think she has many characteristics that would make her a suitable royal wife, I have no idea if she is truly a good match for William. I suppose I have doubts because especially with William's more recent behaviour with helicopters, I have doubts about whether William has any strong idea of who he is and what he wants in life. He might very well, but I see a lot more signs that all the other young royals have formed a strong identity, than I do of William.

I hope that if William marries Kate, they will mature together and become a successful royal team. I hope that William does not wake up one day at age 40 and develop a strong passion like Charles' love for Camilla or concern for the environment and realize "This is what I want out of life...and Kate isn't it." Because that would be painful for William and Kate, and for the monarchy.

So I hope William knows what he's doing.
Charles actually didn't wake up one day and realize he was in love with Camilla. He had been in love with her since his early 20s and would have married her then but she was not seen as a good royal match by The Firm, including his parents, and so she wed Parker-Bowles and he went on for many years as the Most Eligible Bachelor on the planet. As for his stand on the environment, I say more Power to him with that. Strong beliefs, whether political, religious, creative, etc. usually have no bearing on a marriage. A good marriage is a good marriage and a bad one is a bad one. Hopefully the Wales princes will learn from their parents' mistake and not jump into matrimony too soon and before they are really certain.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

I personally think William has found someone who is discrete in Kate. After all the public ridicule that he and his brother suffered because neither parent could keep their mouths shut in the media, I think that is one of the best qualities she possess and to be honest, I think she is very pretty and seems to be able to handle a lot of the stuff that will follow William for the rest of his life. I hope he has found someone who will be his partner.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ahh, I was not talking about passion or lust, just the feeling that they would like to hold hands or link arms and just like many youngsters, in the presence of the old farts, they know they must refrain.

I am not certain about that. I think it's all a matter of "relationship style". My favorite Royal couple of all time is Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium. Those two were about as conservative and Royal as it gets, but they were constantly holding hands, whispering into one another's ear, and walking with their arms tightly wrapped around one another. This was from their wedding day in 1960 until the King's death in 1993 when both were well into their sixties. They displayed a manifest passion for one another throughout their marriage.

Some couples are just as into one another but not as physically demonstrative in public. William and Kate might be one of those, it might not be their style.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I am not certain about that. I think it's all a matter of "relationship style". My favorite Royal couple of all time is Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium. Those two were about as conservative and Royal as it gets, but they were constantly holding hands, whispering in one another's ear, and walking with their arms tightly wrapped around one another. This was from their wedding day in 1960 until the King's death in 1993 when both were well into their sixties. They displayed a manifest passion for one another throughout their marriage.
I notice you said from their wedding day on, before marriage and in public, would have been frowned upon by many!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I notice you said from their wedding day on, before marriage and in public, would have been frowned upon by many!
Oh how true. This WAS the early 1960's after all. But I have a copy of Paris Match from Nov 1960 where Baudouin rushes to greet his fiancee Fabiola as she comes off the plane from Madrid, and he kisses her(cheek of course) then kisses her hand.

During her Joyeuses Entrees where he introduced her to the kingdom as his future Queen there is a photo of them sitting in a car and he has arm around her smiling and gazing into her face.

They were quite unique for that day and age, I totally agree with you!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

while some people are ok with public displays of affection, some people aren't even comfortable holding hands in public. maybe this is how william and catherine are?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
while some people are ok with public displays of affection, some people aren't even comfortable holding hands in public. maybe this is how william and catherine are?
I think you are right. Contrast William's public behavior with Kate against Harry/Chelsy. Harry has been photographed all over the girl! I think William is more "Windsor" than Harry and has been raised with an awareness of his position as heir to the Throne. He just strikes me as more private and reserved about personal matters.

Who knows? When he and Kate are alone he might be a real wildcat LOL!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I find it kind of nice that they aren't "all over each other" in public. I think that it shows respect for each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I think you are right. Contrast William's public behavior with Kate against Harry/Chelsy. Harry has been photographed all over the girl! I think William is more "Windsor" than Harry and has been raised with an awareness of his position as heir to the Throne. He just strikes me as more private and reserved about personal matters.

Who knows? When he and Kate are alone he might be a real wildcat LOL!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

couldn't agree more. i think it's nice.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william, relationships