Harry and William's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We rarely see William interact on a personal level and his well-known antipathy toward the media doesn't help. This programme has been able to show a more relaxed and engaged William.

Well this doco is already dated seeing that William, Catherine and the kids spend 90% of their at Anmer Hall and not at KP Apartment 1A, so they are certainly not next door neighbours most of the time. And then William spends his off-duty time with the wife and kids with the occasional Royal Engagement . . . Harry has his interests and engagements as well so they are definitely spending a lot less time together. But they could be texting each other daily for all we know. Or not!

What confuses me is that this was supposed to be a doco about 40 years of the Princes Trust. I think we all got short-changed.

I know. I've already posted in this thread about their differnet life styles and that having different lives doesn't necesseralily go with having a cold relationshiop between siblings.:flowers: I just voiced my opinion,basing myself on what I have seen lately of the two brothers together, not about the documentary iself. I don't know, but I seem some discomfort and uneasiness by both parts when they are together!

If there is so much 'discomfort and tension' between the two why don't they go their separate ways.

Why have joint patronages, why have a shared foundation, why do joint engagements, why have a shared household?

The whole 'Harry and William's relationship drama' can easily be explained by anyone following a Harry fan account on social media.

Their dislike of William and all things Cambridge is so intense that it gives them comfort to think the brothers don't get on in real life.

Last edited:
If there is so much 'discomfort and tension' between the two why don't they go they're separate ways.

Why have joint patronages, why have a shared foundation, why do joint engagements, why have a shared household?

The whole 'Harry and William's relationship drama' can easily be explained by anyone following a Harry fan account on social media.

They're dislike of William and all things Cambridge is so intense that it gives them comfort to think the brothers don't get on in real life.

Oh come one Rudolph. just chill out:eek: You know, I try to avoid your provoking posts most of the times, but sometimes it's impossible. Am I not free to voice my opinion on a thread supposed to be discussing this topic? Have I to say that to me it's all a bed of roses?:ohmy:
I just merely stated that IMO,they both looks a bit cool one towards the other, but that doesn't mean this has to lead to a catastophic outcome as to depart ways...:lol:. You know, siblings are like this most of the time, they get along and also have difficult times between them. And if you bothered to check better, I've already said in this thread that they seem to have a normal relatioship, which it also implies that sometimes they can argue, as a normal relationship between brothers entails... Plus, this is not my universal truth, but an humble opinion based on what I see. I could also see different next time i see them together. So, I don't know what's the problem. If you want to make only praises or express your opinion on the matters, as you always duly do, please do it and contribute but don't try to stir up things everytime someone don't agree with you. Have a nice posting:flowers:

William's comment about Harry taking food was unnecessary.
Harry looked upset by this comment.

I think it was natural that Harry came over for meals.

The program finished shooting around mid September. Harry probably had just arrived from Africa or had only been back a week or so and probably had not restocked his refrigerator and was coming over for a few meals at the Cambridge household until he settled back into life in London.

A single guy living alone and who had been away for three months is not going to have food in his refrigerator so going to his brother's house who lives in the same complex is what most normal people would do.

I do not know how much household staff Harry employs, if any.

Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace. Harry could drive to BP for his meals or just have carryout.

I will place a bet, that after William's comment, Harry was no longer going over to Apt 1A for his meal.

^^^ lol now this has really gone off the deep end. Front page of the DM poor Harry has no food mean William won't feed him. This has given me a great laugh although I did nearly spill my coffee

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I watched the bit with Harry and Will. When we see the more serious and subdued side of him, Harry is just a younger version of his father.

Harry reminds me of a more tactful Prince Phillip in some ways.

I think it's obvious the brothers are close ...I've yet to see or hear anything indicating otherwise.

LaRae

:previous:
Very well said, Both went through a tragic time in losing their beloved mother when so young and I bet it made them closer then ever and that has carried through time. Being neighbors in the palace I bet is such fun for them and lots of very good times that are private family times.:)

Oh good gracious, not everything has to do with their dead mother. Harry and William are close in age and have always seemed close despite their differences. They love jokig about each other in public and even in their 30s they aren't letting go of the big brother little brother relationship, I find it adorable.
I can't believe people are bashig William for ribbing his little brother; its his freaking little brother for crying out loud! I'm an only child and I know that this behavior is sometimes common amongst siblings.

Last edited:
^ The trouble is that William's ribbing verges on put-downs on several occasions. I don't believe he's doing it to upset his brother. I think he's got into the habit of it.

I saw it when William, Kate and Harry visited the Harry Potter studios and William made a speech in which he made remarks about Harry believing that owls talked (they don't in Harry Potter's world, proving William's never read the books.) He followed this up by charming behaviour in which he shone a lighted wand directly into Harry's eyes. Harry didn't react, just looked at him. Yes, a fine joke! Like the one, in Harry's absence, about how going to Cambridge town would be the nearest his brother would ever get to a university.

And yes, the food thing in this last interview was hurtful, and IMO probably not even true!

:previous: I'll give you that the 'straight man and the fall guy' double act seems to be an ingrained habit. Only, Harry doesn't seem to be grinning to order quite as much as he did when he was younger.

^ The trouble is that William's ribbing verges on put-downs on several occasions. I don't believe he's doing it to upset his brother. I think he's got into the habit of it.

I saw it when William, Kate and Harry visited the Harry Potter studios and William made a speech in which he made remarks about Harry believing that owls talked (they don't in Harry Potter's world, proving William's never read the books.) He followed this up by charming behaviour in which he shone a lighted wand directly into Harry's eyes. Harry didn't react, just looked at him. Yes, a fine joke! Like the one, in Harry's absence, about how going to Cambridge town would be the nearest his brother would ever get to a university.

And yes, the food thing in this last interview was hurtful, and IMO probably not even true!

For those of us who are well-read about the royals the prevailing wisdom whether actually true or not is that Harry, well, is not an academic, bless him. A bit like his mum. Will can't be unaware of this "general knowledge". Why feed into it like that? If it's true that Harry is not an academic, these are some very cruel comments. If it's not true, why feed into the public's beliefs like that?

As for the food thing, we saw Harry's reaction for a split second to the comment and then the film cut away - he reacted visibly to it, looking down. I'm not sure what to make of it, especially as I saw only a split second reaction. I believe it's true (we have an unmarried guy friend who pretty much does the same thing to us), yet Harry seemed uncomfortable with it. Did he feel that it makes him look needy or lonely?

Yet, watching the film, it seems obvious the brothers are close. Most close people have darker sides to their relationship, like put-downs; it's just one facet of a complex relationship. It is obvious that they are comfortable with each other, they joke around. They understand each other. They love each other. It's obvious they have a close relationship with their father and grandfather. It was nice to see.

I'm sorry but this is an overreaction on every level, they both mock each other to get laughs and they are not the only ones who don't. Kate has joked about William and even Charles has joked about William. This is clearly a common occurrence that has been going on for years between them all. Just because you don't like the humor doesn't mean there is a problem with it.

I understand what everyone is saying but I look back to the photo of Harry driving Kate and George to the queens lunch which happened after the interview was recorded.
I am really sorry everyone but I do honestly think their fine maybe not as close as some siblings but as close as most.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The way William and Harry tease each other reminds me of my twin sons in their 30's. They are unmerciful to each other, but woe to anyone else who joins in. The teasing stops and they join ranks. I think all of it is pretty typical behavior for boys who are close in age.

Harry gets his digs in, too. The bald jokes, though, can't last much longer since his own hair is thinning. About academics, I have seen Harry say how much smarter Will is, which is very embarrassing for Will. It's that "poor me" thing that younger sibs use--drives older sibs crazy. Don't ask how I know! :)

The way William and Harry tease each other reminds me of my twin sons in their 30's. They are unmerciful to each other, but woe to anyone else who joins in. The teasing stops and they join ranks. I think all of it is pretty typical behavior for boys who are close in age.

Harry gets his digs in, too. The bald jokes, though, can't last much longer since his own hair is thinning. About academics, I have seen Harry say how much smarter Will is, which is very embarrassing for Will. It's that "poor me" thing that younger sibs use--drives older sibs crazy. Don't ask how I know! :)

Yes, my brothers, while not twins, are 14 months apart (to the day) and while they can tease and rib each other, when they're together, woe to anyone who tries to join in, especially me. I'm older than them both (22 months for one, 3 years for the other) and I was always their target.

I haven't watched this particular interview but I've always had the impression that Will and Harry are very close, probably as close as my own brothers are, with each other.

For those of us who are well-read about the royals the prevailing wisdom whether actually true or not is that Harry, well, is not an academic, bless him. A bit like his mum. Will can't be unaware of this "general knowledge". Why feed into it like that? If it's true that Harry is not an academic, these are some very cruel comments. If it's not true, why feed into the public's beliefs like that?

As for the food thing, we saw Harry's reaction for a split second to the comment and then the film cut away - he reacted visibly to it, looking down. I'm not sure what to make of it, especially as I saw only a split second reaction. I believe it's true (we have an unmarried guy friend who pretty much does the same thing to us), yet Harry seemed uncomfortable with it. Did he feel that it makes him look needy or lonely?

Yet, watching the film, it seems obvious the brothers are close. Most close people have darker sides to their relationship, like put-downs; it's just one facet of a complex relationship. It is obvious that they are comfortable with each other, they joke around. They understand each other. They love each other. It's obvious they have a close relationship with their father and grandfather. It was nice to see.
My sister is not an achademic, has dyslexia and is totally okay with it. I have Asperger, and is a nut for doing things "correctly". My mum always does 1000 things at a time and has a habit of mixing up words. My dad is a slob that always looses his stuff. We all jab at each other really hard about these things. Then we all have stuff that we are sensitive about, and those we don't jab eachother about. The things I mentioned above are things we are ok with (which to others might seem mean) and hence open to lovefilled jabbing.

My sister is not an achademic, has dyslexia and is totally okay with it. I have Asperger, and is a nut for doing things "correctly". My mum always does 1000 things at a time and has a habit of mixing up words. My dad is a slob that always looses his stuff. We all jab at each other really hard about these things. Then we all have stuff that we are sensitive about, and those we don't jab eachother about. The things I mentioned above are things we are ok with (which to others might seem mean) and hence open to lovefilled jabbing.

That's fine, all fine.. until someone stops laughing.

I grew up in a family where we all jab at each other too (my husband's family is the opposite, and ugh, are they difficult) - but we all have that line you don't cross. And we all have times we go too far. As I said, the family's love for each other is clear. They are comfortable with each other. They are how brothers should be. And as I said, even the best of relationships have a dark side to them. Perhaps this is the dark side of theirs.

That's fine, all fine.. until someone stops laughing.

I grew up in a family where we all jab at each other too (my husband's family is the opposite, and ugh, are they difficult) - but we all have that line you don't cross. And we all have times we go too far. As I said, the family's love for each other is clear. They are comfortable with each other. They are how brothers should be. And as I said, even the best of relationships have a dark side to them. Perhaps this is the dark side of theirs.
Yes, ofc you stumble over that line once in a while. But you learn quickly which subject are over the line. So considering William (and Harry himself) jokes about the achademia part shows that there is a big chance it's not a sore spot for Harry.

Dyslexia and not being academic are not givens. We all Prince's Harry and William included have different gifts and talents. PH has an A Level in Art I believe. Bringing in the two younger Prince's may also have opened the programme up to other viewers who may otherwise not have watched the programme?

Dyslexia and not being academic are not givens. We all Prince's Harry and William included have different gifts and talents. PH has an A Level in Art I believe. Bringing in the two younger Prince's may also have opened the programme up to other viewers who may otherwise not have watched the programme?
Yes, ofc Dyslexia is not the same as non achademic. I just used the example because my sister is a non achademic dyslectic!

I find it very sad belittle someone because she has dyslexia,we can know how the person is, when it is so biased

I find it very sad belittle someone because she has dyslexia,we can know how the person is, when it is so biased
Huh? I know exactly who the person is. My dear sister, who teases me about my asperger and I her about her dyslexia. Because none of us put our worth on those things. It's just part of who we are so we can tease each other about that. Ofc we would never tease someone we don't know that well about it! That's just stupid! But since we know each others boundries and sore spots we can freely tease about such thingss while avoiding others.

William's comment about Harry taking food was unnecessary.
Harry looked upset by this comment.

I think it was natural that Harry came over for meals.

The program finished shooting around mid September. Harry probably had just arrived from Africa or had only been back a week or so and probably had not restocked his refrigerator and was coming over for a few meals at the Cambridge household until he settled back into life in London.

A single guy living alone and who had been away for three months is not going to have food in his refrigerator so going to his brother's house who lives in the same complex is what most normal people would do.

I do not know how much household staff Harry employs, if any.

Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace. Harry could drive to BP for his meals or just have carryout.

I will place a bet, that after William's comment, Harry was no longer going over to Apt 1A for his meal.

Oh dear! If thise were the conclusions drawn from the banter in the documentary, it is very clear that our British humour does not not travel well to the Americas. :ROFLMAO:

Good thing the British RF dont have to worry about the American audience!! :)

Harry could drive two miles to Clarence House for his meals, but I believe Clarence House does not have a kitchen. In QEQM's day, she received all her meals from Buckingham Palace.

Really? Where did you hear that? Seems like complete drivel to me.

Really? Where did you hear that? Seems like complete drivel to me.

I do have to chuckle though at the image I got of Charles and Camilla hosting a luncheon or a dinner at Clarence House and a very long line of waiters walking from Buck House to CH with silver covered platters. :lol:
-

I do have to chuckle though at the image I got of Charles and Camilla hosting a luncheon or a dinner at Clarence House and a very long line of waiters walking from Buck House to CH with silver covered platters. :lol:
-

Maybe they have mopeds, like pizza-delivery-people :lol:

Oh dear! If thise were the conclusions drawn from the banter in the documentary, it is very clear that our British humour does not not travel well to the Americas. :ROFLMAO:

Good thing the British RF dont have to worry about the American audience!! :)

I think that the point being made (by Australians mostly, not Americans, btw) is that Harry does not seem to find these comments funny. Maybe he doesn't get British humor either, or maybe a put down on certain subjects isn't funny, no matter where you grew up.

Prince Charles made light of William's growing bald spot during his speech at his son's wedding reception

This is all par for the course. William and Harry have had this banter and humour for years.

Harry's defenders have more of an issue with it than Harry appears to. He gives as well as he takes.

I’m surprised that people are able to tell how Harry felt about the "scrounging food" comment, since the camera shot of him was so quick. Throughout the interview the brothers were at ease and happy, yet that 2-second moment seems to be used to sum up their entire relationship.

William and Harry tease each other all the time. Harry used to joke about William’s bald spot and has stated on several occasions that William wasn’t cool. That’s the type of relationship they have. Even people that have interviewed them, say that that off-camera, they tease one another constantly.

Prince Charles made light of William's growing bald spot during his speech at his son's wedding reception

This is all par for the course. William and Harry have had this banter and humour for years.

Harry's defenders have more of an issue with it than Harry appears to. He gives as well as he takes.

This.

Also, I can't imagine that being family of the Duke of Edinburgh, anyone in this family is so very uptight about ribbing and cheeky humor.

To say nothing of the fact that Harry is not a wilting flower, either, when joking about his brother.

Back
Top Bottom