Harry and William: What Went Wrong? (ITV Documentary on 4th July 2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the previous king (George VI) and the second-to-last (George V) were 'second sons' ;) - so it seems the only way he could have gotten what he wanted is if he had taken William's place as heir.

This is true but at the time Harry wanted his own court, he never could have stepped into the role as heir with William already providing the next in the line to the throne. George with Charlotte as George's spare. ?

In a rather strange move of a few hours I have reread the discussion boards of the Sussex's from when they started dating onwards. It is actually a good read and I highly recommend it. It is essentially the same people discussing the same stuff - and yes guys we have been discussing the same stuff now since 2019.

It is quite sad when you read the comments about the suggestion about the move to Africa, the rumoured feud and then the split of the foundations. Essentially 3 years has given us a lot more information, most that I think if fluff courtesy of Omid Scobie but absolutely no new insight.

I was looking for an article about why Frogmore was selected and all I got was the Sussex's describing it as there dream house and forever home.

In a rather strange move of a few hours I have reread the discussion boards of the Sussex's from when they started dating onwards. It is actually a good read and I highly recommend it. It is essentially the same people discussing the same stuff - and yes guys we have been discussing the same stuff now since 2019.

It is quite sad when you read the comments about the suggestion about the move to Africa, the rumoured feud and then the split of the foundations. Essentially 3 years has given us a lot more information, most that I think if fluff courtesy of Omid Scobie but absolutely no new insight.

I was looking for an article about why Frogmore was selected and all I got was the Sussex's describing it as there dream house and forever home.

Claire, do you know what other properties H&M may have considered before settling on Frogmore Cottage?

I sort of remember a columnist mentioning Adelaide Cottage, even though a courtier may have been in there and I know the late Margaret Rhodes' cottage would have been available. Also, the tenant in Forest Lodge died suddenly about 2 years ago so that may have been available. The timing for Forest Lodge wouldn't have been ideal, but IMO it would be worth the wait.

Last edited:
In Britain in particular, the second-born having a bad boy or bad girl reputation has become somewhat of a cliché in the past 50 years or so, see Margaret, Andrew and Harry. Interestingly that was not necessarily the case in previous generations. As far as I understand it for example, both the future kings George V and George VI had a much better reputation than their respective older brothers. And the future king Edward VII was notorious for his bad behavior when he was still the Prince of Wales.

Prince Edward (the future Duke of Windsor) was an extremely popular Prince of Wales, especially in the twenties.

I wonder what is in store for the next generation, heir George and spare Charlotte.

. . . .I was looking for an article about why Frogmore was selected and all I got was the Sussex's describing it as there dream house and forever home.
I believe people forget that any accommodation is "in HM's gift". H & M were probably consulted by HM and yes it was major work restore Frogmore Cottage but she was obviously aware that their reason for not wanting to move into KP was that William had announced that he wanted the two houses split. Hardly sensible to think they would move from Nott Cott to an apartment in KP as may well have been the original intent.

Instead, finding Nott Cott too small with the arrival of Archie, they rented a private home until Frogmore Cottage was ready, all the while being vilified daily about the cost of the renovations. The BRF hung them out to dry for the tabloids and offered nothing except that the cottage was due for work, etc. They were not going to admit that William had flown into a rage with Harry and was In the process of kicking them out of their shared offices. The accusations of H&M not finding KP grand enough, etc. ad nauseum, were all left to fester in the media while they vilified the Sussexes for "abandoning the Cambridge's". How's that for irony when William was the one who kicked them out.

It seems posters have little to add that is specifically related to this documentary.

For now it seems the thread has turned into an excersize of re-hashing the same arguments that we have been chewing on for the last couple of years. We do not want to have two simular discussions on the same topic, between the same posters and with the same arguments. That means that it is time to close this thread.

Please send us a PM when anything relevant to this documentary needs to be posted and this thread can be re-opened.

You can continue to discuss the duke and duchess of Sussex in their thread in the Sussex forum, which you can find here.

This thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom