Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, as Wyevale said, he could have done this by video link.

Why should he have done this by video link when he’s going to be in the U.K. from today, for Fridays Abbey Road trip anyway? He’s come back a day early essentially to attend an event for his organisation.

I can understand the criticism if Henry had flown in for the event and flown back, and then flown in again for the coming weeks, but as of yet he hasn’t.

He does seem to be showing a complete lack of awareness here. Admittedly it's not just him. Emma Thompson flew from California to London to join a so-called climate change protest, and a load of celebs flew to Italy on private jets to attend that conference last year. But none of the others are moaning about being criticised in the media, and this just seems like setting yourself up to be knocked down.

I'm not criticising the idea. One of my favourite places in Venice, and that's suffering badly from ill-planned tourism. But, as Wyevale said, he could have done this by video link.

Or not done it at all. None of them need to.... Probably most of them take more air trips in a month than I've done in a year.

Do we know how he flew? Priivate Jet, commercial airline, first class, coach? I agree if he stays for the next two weeks and doesn't fly back and forth I think it's fine. I imagine he has a lot to do to wind his life down in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know how he flew? Priivate Jet, commercial airline, first class, coach? I agree if he stays for the next two weeks and doesn't fly back and forth I think it's fine. I imagine he has a lot to do to wind his life down in the UK.

As for the website I think Harry & Meghan would be fine and would have no accusations of using their titles for profit. Someone pointed out they can't use H&M - I had to google that apparently it's a store.

According to the media (so take it for what it is worth) he flew commercial and then took the train to Scotland.

Both Harry and William have told people for years they prefer to be called by their given names. Nothing changed here. I really don't understand why it's problem now when it was never a problem before.

Well who knows if she really said it but Meghan has a point if she did - Harry's a royal no matter what he calls himself.

Both Harry and William have told people for years they prefer to be called by their given names. Nothing changed here. I really don't understand why it's problem now when it was never a problem before.

I'm inclined to agree - Prince William was asked what the footballers taking part in the mental health TV programme last year should call him, and he said "William". I assume Harry will be formally introduced as "the Duke of Sussex", but, if Mr Joe Bloggs was the guest speaker, he'd be introduced as "Mr Joe Bloggs" or "Joe Bloggs", not just as "Joe". It'd be more of a talking point if he'd been asked to be introduced as "Harry Mountbatten-Windsor", but I assume he hasn't.

I don't really care whether he calls himself Harry, Prince Harry or anything else, but the comments made on their website do seem to have put a lot of people's backs up. Maybe he should just concentrate on his work.

I am afraid there is a difference to be asked to be called by your name and using you first name as a moniker. Many people do for example, Madonna, Cher and Prince, Drake, Beyoncé. But I am sure you get the picture - it is a celebrity thing. So is it Meghan and Harry? Sound like they are rebranding themselves. Anyone notice the clothes he worn? Wasn’t the suit and tie.

I am afraid there is a difference to be asked to be called by your name and using you first name as a moniker. Many people do for example, Madonna, Cher and Prince, Drake, Beyoncé. But I am sure you get the picture - it is a celebrity thing. So is it Meghan and Harry? Sound like they are rebranding themselves. Anyone notice the clothes he worn? Wasn’t the suit and tie.

I don't think he was doing it for reasons that Madonna etc. use one name. He doesn't officially have a surname name, his birth certificate just list HRH Prince Henry and all his other names. He used Wales in the army but may feel that it is too close to the 'royal brand' issue that so many people have since it was tied to the Prince of Wales. So he just simplified it all and said just call me Harry. Unlike Archie who was given a surname at birth so he won't have the same problem.

As for his clothes they looked fine.

Ah - I've read it properly now! I was taking it as him just saying that he wanted people who were speaking to him during the conference to address him as "Harry". So he was actually introduced as "Harry"? OK, I get it now - that *is* a bit weird, and it doesn't sound very professional.

Princess Beatrice uses "Beatrice York" for work. OK, it's not ideal, because it's not her official surname, but at least it sounds professional.

Anyone notice the clothes he worn? Wasn’t the suit and tie.

The chap next to him was dressed like a lumberjack. I don't think a suit & tie was required for this event.

I have zero problem with Harry flying in for this particular event because by the looks of his schedule he'll be in the UK for a couple of weeks. As long as he isn't flying in and out multiple times over those couple of weeks then I see nothing hypocritical about it. It was simply a question of whether he flew in on Tuesday or on Thursday.

I am confused. The lady very much introduced him in his full name HRH Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex. Just said that he would like to be called Harry. It wasn't done as a moniker but to keep things casual and relaxed. This was her own words when asked by a reporter. She said she as nervous when she spoke to him and Harry told her "Just call me Harry." Let's not make it more than that. ?

Ah - I've read it properly now! I was taking it as him just saying that he wanted people who were speaking to him during the conference to address him as "Harry". So he was actually introduced as "Harry"? OK, I get it now - that *is* a bit weird, and it doesn't sound very professional.

Princess Beatrice uses "Beatrice York" for work. OK, it's not ideal, because it's not her official surname, but at least it sounds professional.

The difference being that Beatrice doesn't get a hard time for being a non-working royal and there hasn't been any question of her HRH title, using the royal brand (for her or her mother). Harry has, unfortunately, had to deal with all of that nitpicking and as I said before is probably just trying to simplify everything as best he can.

Harry had to be back for three weeks of events. So he came back a day early. It was commercial so the flight was flying with or without him. And then he took a train. He isn’t flying back and forth.

Travalyst is not about stopping people flying. It’s a tourism company so obviously they understand people fly. There are other ways to help the environment. Travslyst is working to promote that. Reducing litter by encouraging hotels and such to not use straws, recycle, reusable items. By promoting wildlife safety like not feeding fish while snorkelling of touching coral so that wildlife exists for generations to come to see. And encouraging tourism companies to use local businesses to promote local industry and help communities grow.

Honestly if people are so uniformed about what eco tourism is, it is a good thing they are promoting it. Sad people seem to think it’s about airplanes.

Honestly if people are so uniformed about what eco tourism is, it is a good thing they are promoting it. Sad people seem to think it’s about airplanes.

Exactly, it's good for people to know more about this and to be more aware of the damage we can cause. Especially since people travel more and not all destinations have the funds to stop it. And when I say "people" I also incl. myself.

"Eco friendly" travel isn't about stopping but rather being aware of ways to curb or finding other solutions that help to cut down on the carbon footprints and being aware of ways to protect and preserve tourist destinations. One is not being hypocritical for flying but checking for flights that are committed to being eco friendly is being aware and more responsible to make a difference.

Basically, its like campaign to eat healthier and make healthier choices but one doesn't stop eating. Same with curtailing the use of plastic. Plastic will always be a necessity and has great advantages but being aware of what too much one use plastic (water bottles etc) items that are trashed and not disposing of them responsibly creates a problem. Its disheartening to hear of things like Richard Branson and his crew diving to the bottom of the Great Blue Hole and being among the first to explore its floor and finding a plastic bottle there.

Being "Harry" isn't something new or even, to me, something to criticize. There's been other times when, at their request, its been said "Just call me Harry" or "Just call me William". All it denoted to me in this respect is that it reduced the level of formality and perhaps made the people he was addressing and hoping to communicate with feel more at ease.

When it comes to spreading awareness, its the differences made in everyday life that is going to be the fruit a campaign bears. Its not about banning air travel or obliterating plastic bottles, scrapping gas guzzler cars or declaring a moratorium on junk food. Its about making better choices where we can.

Being "Harry" isn't something new or even, to me, something to criticize. There's been other times when, at their request, its been said "Just call me Harry" or "Just call me William". All it denoted to me in this respect is that it reduced the level of formality and perhaps made the people he was addressing and hoping to communicate with feel more at ease.

That's fair enough. So long as it's done sparingly & people don't come to expect a level of familiarity that's undignified. I do wince when you hear people/journalists calling the Prince of Wales "Charles" though.

I do draw the line at HM!:D

Travalyst is not about stopping people flying. It’s a tourism company so obviously they understand people fly. There are other ways to help the environment. Travslyst is working to promote that. Reducing litter by encouraging hotels and such to not use straws, recycle, reusable items. By promoting wildlife safety like not feeding fish while snorkelling of touching coral so that wildlife exists for generations to come to see. And encouraging tourism companies to use local businesses to promote local industry and help communities grow.

You're right in that eco tourism isn't just about airplanes. However, I would argue that those interested in eco tourism should certainly be interested and aware that the carbon emissions produced by various methods of travel can and do factor into eco tourism. I agree that this isn't about stopping tourism or travel. It never was and it shouldn't be. However, I think it's entirely reasonable to point out that traveling on a commercial flight with hundreds of other people one time in and one time out makes far more eco sense than taking private flights in and out several times within the space of a couple of weeks. That's just common sense but also is something that eco minded people should be aware of. While I realize that Harry didn't take a private flight and that it appears he's not planning to fly back and forth multiple times in the space of a couple of weeks, I don't think it's at all inappropriate to note that had he done those things he'd certainly be acting hypocritically and I also don't think it's inappropriate to note that while eco tourism isn't just about airplanes, airplanes and other modes of transportation are certainly a substantial piece of the eco tourism conversation.

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Typical of Harry nowadays that there is barely anything British about this new venture Travalyst as all the companies associated with it are parent based in the United States or China: VISA_USA, Skyscanner is owned by
Trip.com Group Limited (formerly Ctrip.com International) is a Chinese provider of travel services including accommodation reservation, transportation ticketing, packaged tours and corporate travel management and Booking.com which is a travel metasearch engine for lodging reservations owned and operated the primary revenue source of United States-based Booking Holdings and is headquartered in Amsterdam. These globalist profit makers appear to be using the thin veneer of woke youth in the person of Prince Harry who seems to be past his sell-by in the UK at least: Harry4Jets6Days!

Last edited:
Incentives and causes that are more global than local/national doesn't surprise me at all. We're living in a global society these days where a burp can be heard around the world instantly. Even Charles' Prince's Trust is global with the Aga Khan being the global patron for it. The Prince's Trust International was launched in 2015.

It makes sense to me that Harry's involvement with Travelyst, being for sustainable tourism, would be on the global level. As well as living in a global society, people are traveling globally more and more now too. ?

As I said earlier (or possibly on a different thread) I don't have a problem with Harry or both of them flying back to the UK. They probably have a lot to do to close out as would any couple changing countries. As long as they're not flying back to Canada, then back to the UK, during this time.

Typical of Harry nowadays that there is barely anything British about this new venture Travalyst as all the companies associated with it are parent based in the United States or China: VISA_USA, Skyscanner is owned by
Trip.com Group Limited (formerly Ctrip.com International) is a Chinese provider of travel services including accommodation reservation, transportation ticketing, packaged tours and corporate travel management and Booking.com which is a travel metasearch engine for lodging reservations owned and operated the primary revenue source of United States-based Booking Holdings and is headquartered in Amsterdam. These globalist profit makers appear to be using the thin veneer of woke youth in the person of Prince Harry who seems to be past his sell-by in the UK at least: Harry4Jets6Days!

Woke :ermm: I guess Charies is woke too. Never took a 70 year old traditionalist for being new age hippie...

Perhaps take a view at the website. Or read my prior post. Jets are only a tiny tiny percent of the travel question.

1 reusing and recycling being introduced more at hotels and activities. Like no straws and reusable cups to reduce waste

2 initiatives to teach tourists how to protect nature for future generations. Like not taking from coral reefs. Not feeding fish or animals in Wild. To start.

3 Encouraging hotels and travel agencies to promote local businesses and tours. To increase the profits that go into local communities.

You can't take on jets. Especially as a tourism company. People travel and they aren't going to take month long boat journeys to get there. It's finding ways of off setting the carbon foot print.

Tourism is global. While the sponsors right now are foreign, it's a global focus. Focus on local economy and sustainability. It will cover tourism in countries of the commonwealth. It's a brand new organization. We may see others like Virgin join or we may not. Many companies that have the funds to put into this may already have their own projects.

This isn't some new age woke movement. Harry has watched his father for decades work for the environment. He himself has been involved hands on with African wildlife. This is simply another step towards continuing such work.

Now if Harry starts campaigning to ground all private jets and only take commercial, while still flying, by all means feel free to mention the 4 flights hypocracy as right now it holds no water.

That's fair enough. So long as it's done sparingly & people don't come to expect a level of familiarity that's undignified. I do wince when you hear people/journalists calling the Prince of Wales "Charles" though.

I do draw the line at HM!:D

I actually wince when I hear people at official events ask the question that obliges the royal to say what he or she would like to be called. If people have any doubt then ask one of the staff members who show up both beforehand and on the day of the royal visit who get paid to know the answers to these sorts of questions. Or just google.

With Harry I get that it’s more complicated since I think the correct way to initially address him is Your Royal Highness and by now there may be five or six people in the English speaking word who haven’t heard that that’s not how we do things anymore and also, FYI, it might be a sore spot!

Please note that posts unrelated to this current event have been deleted. Let's not start an argument about modes of transport or travel arrangements please.

Henry is flying back to complete roughly 3 weeks of engagements in the United Kingdom starting today. He’s got to be in the U.K. for his event at Abbey Road for Invictus. If he didn’t fly back yesterday, it would have been tonight anyway. Frankly props to the man who flies 8000 miles, and the goes to work in front of the public.

He’s still a senior royal completing his announced royal engagements. I’m getting a bit sick of seeing criticism for the sake of it, when there’s no foundation behind it.

I agree, Harry has done enough to be worthy of criticism but this time it doesn't seem warranted. It would be best if he liked in the UK and didn't need to fly at all but that's not going to happen. This is just the first day of a few weeks of engagements, he'll be here for awhile..

Interestingly this engagement didn't make it into the CC as an official engagement. It will be interesting to see whether the other listed events are in the CC either. I was expecting this one as Harry was involved in its launch and went to The Netherlands for that launch and that was in the CC but this event isn't. Of course it could appear as an 'addendum' in a day or so ... which has happened with some of Harry's engagements in the past ... but normally when they have received media coverage.

I didn't expect it to be listed because none of their engagements since they "exited" have been listed in the CC.

There was one (Harry attending the Rugby League World Cup Draw) but this was announced as one of the final engagements before stepping down ... not as an attempt to become royals for hire.

I am now thinking that maybe the only official engagement on this final set of engagements will be ones with other member of the BRF - in the same way as Beatrice and Eugenie's engagements are recorded.

I will have to add Harry and Meghan to the unofficial royals page in my spreadsheet for things like this ... whereas I wasn't expecting to have to do that until April based on what has been announced about this final visit to the UK and engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom