Christenings of William (1982) and Harry (1984)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found some pics which I am sure you've probably seen before. I found them on isifa. I'll try to find some more...

Attachments

• is_19654.jpg
    is_19654.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,845
  • is_20072.jpg
    is_20072.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,883
  • is_19653.jpg
    is_19653.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,611
official photos

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,549
one more of harry with mummy

Attachments

• henrywales23.jpg
    henrywales23.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 555
With family and godparents.

Attachments

• diana155.jpg
    diana155.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 807
  • FMP-29-10-25790187.jpg
    FMP-29-10-25790187.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Wasn't Willaim being particularly bad on that day and stealing the limelight from Harry?
yes!

when he was young William stole from his brother's christening day but its not laughing or funny!

Sara Boyce

i found some pic of Wills&Harry wearing the same clothes on corbis, but they were taken in Oct 1984:(
Wills was only 2 in 1984, i don't believe he understood the words 'stealing the limelight' then. children are bound to be like that. maybe he's excited with so many ppl and cameras

Just a few that weren't already posted.

Attachments

• 1984 December 21 - B.JPG
    1984 December 21 - B.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 685
  • 1984 December 21 - F.jpg
    1984 December 21 - F.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 1984 December 21 - E.jpg
    1984 December 21 - E.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 572
  • 1984 December 21 - DD.jpg
    1984 December 21 - DD.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 648
  • 1984 December 21 - D.jpg
    1984 December 21 - D.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 634
  • 1984 December 21 - C.jpg
    1984 December 21 - C.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 583
Photos from Queen Broadcast 1984
(sorry for the quality)

Attachments

• bautimso de harry.jpg
    bautimso de harry.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 2,951
  • bautimso de harry2.jpg
    bautimso de harry2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,939
  • bautismo de harry1.jpg
    bautismo de harry1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,936
the photo is in the corridor of the windsor castle, sorry by the little quality of the images.

aren`t there some pix of William`s christening??

None of the actual christening, no. The posting just above yours has one of the family group after William's christening, though. It's the first one.

aren`t there some pix of William`s christening??

Is it wrong that I'm bumping this? Okay I decided to post some info I found from People Magazine about William's christening
It was a brief ceremony for His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales—but then, it was only the first of thousands. The very first official pronouncements of the infant who is expected one day to be King of England were the three little squeaks he emitted in the Music Room of Buckingham Palace as Dr. Robert Runcie, the Archbishop of Canterbury, poured the baptismal water over his head. Although medieval Britons believed that such cries were a sign that the Devil had left the child's body, Diana still blushed at each squeal, Prince Charles gallantly wiped dribbles from his son's chin and Queen Elizabeth later joked that her grandson showed stage presence: "He's a good speech-maker." Dr. Runcie abandoned the sonorous old Book of Common Prayer service in favor of the modern baptismal rite and adjured William's parents and godparents "to bring up this child to fight against evil and follow Christ."

It was, however, a distinctly elegant affair. The Choristers of the Chapels Royal sang two hymns during the 25-minute ritual, for which William wore a voluminous 1841 christening robe of Honiton lace over Spitalfields silk, made for Queen Victoria's son, the future Edward VII. The gown has aged gracefully over the years, from white to ivory to its current magnolia shade. The Queen was in a dress of periwinkle blue with white spots, Princess Diana in a floral summer print of pink and white and a wide-brimmed pink hat. The silver gilt lily font, from which the British monarchs have been christened since 1841, was brought to Buckingham Palace from the Tower of London for the occasion.

After the christening, the royals retreated for photographs and lunch as well as for champagne and christening cake (the top layer of Charles and Diana's wedding cake). The young Prince got only a quick peek at the festivities before being whisked away by his nanny, Barbara Barnes. As one observer put it, "Royal babies adhere rigidly to nursery routines," christening or not.

For anyone who didn't know the press photos afterwards were taken in the White Drawing Room

And just a small mention of Harry's christening. Mostly talks about the apparent feud with Princess Anne:
While 3-month-old Prince Henry Charles Albert David, third in line to the British throne, was ceremoniously baptized over a Victorian gilded lily font by the Archbishop of Canterbury at St. George's Chapel, Windsor, his Auntie Anne and her husband, Capt. Mark Phillips, were out shooting in the countryside, bagging rabbits.
Here are some pics as well from William's christening from my own collection.
7441 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
3438860 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
854 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
125 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
1134729 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
1134727 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
2359084236_913f82ba4b on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Some videos as well
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=160okf8&s=6
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2cfe6vm&s=6

Last edited:
^My friend, Patrica ripped it for me off a VHS she had bought way back in the day.I cannot remember for the life of me what it was called. But I member in 08 when Harry was going to NYC CBS showed a bit of it during a segment.

Thank you for your reply. It has the feel of something that might have been done as a memorial soon after Diana's death.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean! I don't know what year the VHS was from. I'll ask her next time I speak to her.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Girls, thanks for sharing photos, loved them=)
By the way, comparing these two christenings, Diana looks much more confident while Harry's one..

What was the so called "feud" between Charles & Anne about? It said she wasn't their but Zara was? hmm...

What was the so called "feud" between Charles & Anne about? It said she wasn't their but Zara was? hmm...

I don't think the feud was between Charles and Anne, but between Anne and Diana. It was widely thought that Anne could not suffer Diana, and that, in turn, Diana would not have Anne as godparent to either of her children. Perhaps Charles backed up Diana at that time or at least acquiesced to her wishes. We may never know and it probably doesn't matter much now anyway. :flowers:

I read that William ran amuck at Harry's christening and karate chopped the Archbishop of Canterbury on the knees. :lol:

He was an adorable little boy from what I remember but rather rambunctious and a little spoiled, which makes it even more wonderful to see what an exemplary young Prince he has turned out to be.

P.S...I don't blame Diana a bit for not wanting Princess Anne as godmother..Anne seemed to never go out of her way to be kind to Diana! :ermm:

I read that William ran amuck at Harry's christening and karate chopped the Archbishop of Canterbury on the knees. :lol:

:ermm:
Ha! That's too funny! I could see Willy Wombat (isn't that what Diana called him?) doing that. He thankfully has calmed down alot since becoming an adult.

Ha! That's too funny! I could see Willy Wombat (isn't that what Diana called him?) doing that. He thankfully has calmed down alot since becoming an adult.

And in later years when William joined the service, Charles would call him Combat Wombat. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom