A Potential Wife for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is supposed to start is September.

Haven't we heard that before, though?
I wouldn't be surprised if she puts things off again.

(I do think Kate's case was a little different; it would have been hard to hold a regular job because she needed to free up her schedule for William. If she hadn't, she would never have gotten to see him!)

You've probably heard that since last september - when it was first mentioned.
If she started Leeds in 2007, she should have finished in 2010. But it was never announced what type of degree she earned and Allen & Overy is famous for wanting 2:1 degree graduates.

Lumutqueen said:
I am partially ashamed that i'm doing this, but on the job level only - Catherine never commited to one job yet she's married to William now. Yes I know they're both totally different and what not, but neither managed to commit to a job when dating/seeing a royal.

We just don't know what's going to happen.

Kate graduated from the university, she has a degree, I just never understood why she never used it. She never got a job related to her studies. Then again a degree in art history doesn't offer much jobs. That degree is for people who don't know what to do with their lives.

Chelsy is young, she doesn't have a useless degree like art history. I think in time she'll settle down and get a job because I don't see her ever getting back together with Harry.

I'd say Chelsy fits the law firm's criteria. She has achieved a double first in PPE from UCT plus a master degree from Leeds (it's no Oxbridge but still respectable nonetheless).
Her gap year was not of personal choice but the firm's. There is a term for it but I'd forgotten it. My friend was in the same situation, she was due to start her training last September but the firm told her to take a year out. Due to financial reasons, many law firms opted for this option but they also didn't want to let go of the trainees so they offered a small percentage towards their travels/ or further study. My friend traveled through South East Asia and her friend studied for a Masters degree.
I believe we will see Chelsy soon. She studied law in UK so she might as well work here for a few years and move back to SA then. Since it's a UK law degree, I don't know if she would be able to practice law in SA straight away.

She's 25 - only 4 years younger than Catherine and I believe the only reason she's now considered 'grown up' is because she's married to William. If not, we'd still be having the job discussion, settling down and what not.

I know Chelsy has a degree in Economics from SA but I don't actually know if she's got a degree from Leeds, she should have finished it last year but there was no press about it.

Lumutqueen said:
I know Chelsy has a degree in Economics from SA but I don't actually know if she's got a degree from Leeds, she should have finished it last year but there was no press about it.

Is this job at the law firm an intership while she finished her law degree at Leeds? I thought she already had the degree and was doing the internship after she graduated

I don't know - Chelsy said repeatedly she didn't like the UK, so my guess is she'll now do something somewhere in Africa. Though if she is trying to get back with Harry she could stay in the UK.

Is this job at the law firm an intership while she finished her law degree at Leeds? I thought she already had the degree and was doing the internship after she graduated

Wiki says it's an internship - but her degree at Leeds should have finished in 2010.
In December 2008, she interned for Farrer & Company. It was reported that Davy hoped to receive a permanent position at the firm, but instead took a second gap year. In 2009, Davy transitioned as an intern for another company, Allen & Overy.
She has a degree in economics from a uni in SA i think. :)

Honestly, I think as far as Chelsy and Harry are concerned, that ship has sailed. This whole break up/make up/break up again pattern says a lot.

Like I said previously, Harry seems to enjoy not being tied down by anyone and he may be one of those men who has no desire to get married until he's in his late 30's or early 40's. Not everyone wants to get married when they're young adults.

I hope it's the end of the line for Harry and Chelsy; I really don't think such an on-and-off relationship could possibly make for a lasting marriage.

OTOH, I hope Harry doesn't wait too long to commit to someone.

I think that everyone saying that Harry won't marry until his late 30s are right. He just seems to interested in his military career to want to settle down right now. Unless Will and Kate decide to not have kids there's really no rush for Harry to find a wife and produce children.

Last edited:
If Harry was really and truly in love with Chelsy (and I suspect he was - as she was with him) it may take him some years to get over her. Carrying a torch and all. Pure speculation but I think it was probably Chelsy who opted out. She experienced William and Kates' wedding - and looking at her, she just did not seem 'into' what the Royal lifestyle would require of her - all the criticism, always having to be in top form, etc. She seemed a bit 'lost' - though pictures snapped in a nano-second can be misleading and she had partied late the night before.

Curiously she reminds me somehow of Sarah Ferguson - not that they are similar in character or anything - but there is that quality of rambunctious naturalness that cannot fit the confines of a structured Royal life. Maybe if Harry decamped to South Africa the relationship would have a fighting chance. Otherwise, it must be hard on them both to realize that as a commitment it just wouldn't work.

However, if she is working in the UK, there is no reason that the relationship could not be explored in a more discreet manner - avoiding the tabloids, et al.

Last edited:
I like what I've seen of Chelsy and think that her very reticence at becoming royal makes her perfect for the "job". Whether or not Chelsy is "the one", I hope Harry has as much fun as he needs to before settling down at whatever age he feels ready and wants to do so. I also hope his eventual choice will be someone as original and relaxed as he is himself; after losing his mother so very young he will particularly appreciate a loving relationship with his wife and children. To my eyes, Harry is the biggest joy of to watch of all the BRF and I can imagine him as a very loving husband and the most fun of fathers. I'm sure the corridors of the house in which he raises his family will ring with laughter. He is so much his mother's son; Diana often noted that Harry was "the one like me", or "naughty like me" and called him, "my little Spencer" - and it is easy to see how right the Princess was! For some reason, I imagine Harry marrying someone very different from Kate Cambridge (I don't mean to disparage Kate in any way, the brothers are very different from each other, so it makes sense) and I would not be surprised to see him marry a non-British woman; he seems very much a citizen of the world while William seems more traditionally British, which is inevitable given their respective positions in the line of succession.

Perhaps that's why I've always been uneasy about Chelsy. There seems to be something unsettled about her. I think that Harry needs someone who's constant and dependable.

Curiously she reminds me somehow of Sarah Ferguson - not that they are similar in character or anything - but there is that quality of rambunctious naturalness that cannot fit the confines of a structured Royal life.

Perhaps that's why I've always been uneasy about Chelsy. There seems to be something unsettled about her. I think that Harry needs someone who's constant and dependable.

I agree with you here. I think one of the reasons that Catherine and William appear to work so well together is because they balance each other out. She strikes me as the more outgoing out of the two of them, which in turn, brings William out of his shell (he's more comfortable in public when with her). I think Harry would do wonderfully with someone who's a bit more on the quiet and serious side, maybe even a little shy. He strikes me as someone who would make people feel at ease, so that would help his partner when learning how to behave during public engagements. Opposites attract, and perhaps someone who's a bit more mellow will be what Harry needs in the longterm relationship, and eventually marriage.

Ouch! I've always been a Chelsy "supporter", but I can't help admitting I had instant recognition when I read your post comparing Chelsy to Sarah Ferguson. There definitely is something there, though I'm hard-pressed to precisely define what it is, but whatever it is, Chelsy does remind me of Sarah in a very uncomfortable way. There's also much wisdom in your comment that Harry would do well with a very constant person. Well, I still give kudos to Chelsy, as she obviously doesn't think she'd make a good fit with Harry and the BRF when she might have married him (presuming the rumours of Harry's proposals are accurate) as the personal advantages that would have come her way are enormous even to someone of her wealthy background. I remember so well Major Ferguson's famous comment that his daughter was more in love with being royal than with Andrew. The last thing the House of Windsor needs is another failed marriage and Harry certainly doesn't need any more personal emotional trauma than he's already experienced in his young life, either. I will continue to admire Chelsy for her reticence and self-knowledge, but I am now certainly more leery at what the long-term prospects of marriage between her and Harry would bring. I still don't think a lady as calm as Kate would suit him, but settled and dependable do not have to mean boring, either! Hopefully, he'll find someone who suits him as much as Kate suits William as there is no one in the BRF I'd rather see end up living "happily ever after", (of course in a realistic sense - the Diana and Charles story shows how fairy tales are meant for books alone). I would hate to see Harry end up like Andrew has; stuck in the shadowlands of a marriage that both does and doesn't exist, emotionally speaking. When one realises how defined Andrew's life has been by the decision to marry Sarah - it really brings home how a certain personality type just doesn't belong in the Royal world. As Lord Charteris said of Sarah, she was never cut out to be a royal duchess in this or any other time - and since reading your and Tyger's posts, I get a strong feeling that Chelsy belongs in that category, too, albeit for different reasons as she certainly can't be said to have behaved as Sarah has, either.

I also agree! I don't believe Chelsy would be any better-suited to royal life than Sarah Ferguson turned out to be, and it would end badly.

The problem with royal life, especially dating a Prince, is that one is immediately in the media and remains there. It takes a special type of person to cope with this. It would appear that Chelsy is rather wanting to focus on a legal career and Harry still has 8 months of training to complete as a helicopter pilot. So I do think that neither of them ready for marriage nor settling down. It is rumoured that Harry is particularly fond of Chelsy but she is the one who tends to back down. Given the current situation, I do not think she is suited to royal life at all. However, if a successful legal career does materialise, which is hard work and determination, the situation may change and Chelsy may just become a possible suitor. The fact is they are both young, they are both still enjoying life and the responsibility of marriage is not an option at the moment.

Last edited:
The problem with royal life, especially dating a Prince, is that one is immediately in the media and remains there. It takes a special type of person to cope with this. It would appear that Chelsy is rather wanting to focus on a legal career and Harry still has 8 months of training to complete as a helicopter pilot. So I do think that neither of them ready for marriage nor settling down. It is rumoured that Harry is particularly fond of Chelsy but she is the one who tends to back down. Given the current situation, I do not think she is suited to royal life at all. However, if a successful legal career does materialise, which is hard work and determination, the situation may change and Chelsy may just become a possible suitor. The fact is they are both young, they are both still enjoying life and the responsibility of marriage is not an option at the moment.

I don't think Chelsy had much interest in being a lawyer - I think she was there to be with Harry. Though they're saying upthread she'll return to England and do her internship. Which surprises me - according to "friends" ( which I suppose could be anyone ) she was constantly saying how much she hated living in England. I'd think she'd leave and not look back - do whatever kind of career she chose in Africa somewhere.

I agree, I don't think Chelsy is cut out for Royal life. I would hate for another Sarah Ferguson situation occur, especially when Harry would be that closely involved. I also think that like William he saw the disaster that his parents marriage was and would want to shy away from marrying someone he wasn't completely sure he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Now I'm not saying that if he does choose Chelsy it will be a disaster of married, none of us really known what their relationship is like or what goes through both their heads. I'm just stating that I think Harry will make the right choice whether it's Chelsy or someone else.

Chelsy definitely strikes me as a free spirit, and as has been said earlier, that may not be the best personality for a life of protocol and ceremony. I think she would be suffocated and over time, become unhappy. I give her so much credit for being able to realize this earlier and saving them both some heartache in the future.

Harry is a very caring and passionate person, and will (undoubtably) make a great husband and father.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Chelsy definitely strikes me as a free spirit, and as has been said earlier, that may not be the best personality for a life of protocol and ceremony. I think she would be suffocated and over time, become unhappy. I give her so much credit for being able to realize this earlier and saving them both some heartache in the future.

Harry is a very caring and passionate person, and will (undoubtably) make a great husband and father.

I hope he finds a woman able to see past his royal title and love him for just who he is. He seems to such a kind, warm hearted man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom