The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess
In general, chin up-in-the-air gives the impression of haughtiness and arrogance. When someone has the chin up in the air, s/he almost certainly look *down* on people. Her chin wasn't even just tilted a little bit up in the air; it's way up in the air. Unless she's staring at a cowweb on the ceiling, there's no need for such a tilted head and chin. She's been holding her head like that in public ever since she came onto the scene. The artist captures it. It looks haughty and very unusual for a portrait.

The first portrait was a gift to her. I forgot who's the artist. It's just her head with the humongus black sun glasses Mary likes to wear. It's almost comical even though I don't think that's the intention. It's not a flattering portrait.

Somehow, I dont think the artist said as he was getting ready to sketch... "Now Ma'am, if you could could seem aloof for me, arrogant, someone who doesn't really care or have the time... maybe point your chin up perh.... thats it, keep it there."

As for the first portrait, you are correct, it was a gift and so wont be classified as anything official or commissioned. Therefore there are only two.

"MII"

Old 04-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II

As for the first portrait, you are correct, it was a gift and so wont be classified as anything official or commissioned. Therefore there are only two.

"MII"
You are absolutely right......Margrethe II. There are only TWO OFFICIAL portraits of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at the moment.

The portrait with the sunglasses was definitely NOT considered as the OFFICIAL portrait at all.

Cheers

Old 04-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Gentry

The painting is a good likeness.

She doesn't seem haughty or arrogant to me.. actually, it seems a little wistful, and a bit somber.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony
The Denmark flag was on the ceiling- not cobwebs.

She was looking into her future in Denmark , serious and in thoughtfulness , the challenges and the responsibilities she will face . :)
I agree with you completely, Harmony. :)

My opinion about Mary's pose : the way Mary stands, not looking at us, but looking thoughtful and serious into the future at the challenges and responsibilities she has taken on as Crown Princess and the future Queen of Denmark. Indeed, Crown Princess Mary has a very tough & challenging life ahead......she is expected to live up to the role of Queen Consort which was previously held by Queen Ingrid!

Amen
Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Somehow, I dont think the artist said as he was getting ready to sketch... "Now Ma'am, if you could could seem aloof for me, arrogant, someone who doesn't really care or have the time... maybe point your chin up perh.... thats it, keep it there."

"MII"
Are you talking about the portrait of CPss Mary in that blue dress??
and does anyone have a picture of the portrait with the sunglasses??
Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Hsu
I agree with you completely, Harmony. :)

My opinion about Mary's pose : the way Mary stands, not looking at us, but looking thoughtful and serious into the future at the challenges and responsibilities she has taken on as Crown Princess and the future Queen of Denmark. Indeed, Crown Princess Mary has a very tough & challenging life ahead......she is expected to live up to the role of Queen Consort which was previously held by Queen Ingrid!

Amen
yes, the sombreness of the new portrait conveys the seriousness of mary's life and the hardships she has to endure as crown princess: after all, think about it: this poor girl, having to go and dress up to unveil yet again an official portrait of herself, it's a tough life isn't it, to unveil portraits of oneself and be admired for it...but someone has got to do it..

Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

By the way, the portrait itself is not bad.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

Totally agree with you ! Poor little Mary who has to become a queen ...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Aristocracy

Hundreds of Mary portraits

Now there are 2 official painted portraits Crown Princess Mary has sat for, while there are literally hundreds other paintings of her made by amateurs as well as professional artists by their own ideas. The danish Crown Prince Couple has received a lot of the latter as gifts, but that does not make those official portraits at all.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Courtier

Another article about new potrait http://www.theage.com.au/news/arts/m...916701363.html

Crown Princess Mary's Australian heritage has not yet lost its novelty value in Denmark, and has been incorporated into her first official portrait.
The portrait was to be unveiled today at Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerod, north of Copenhagen, the home of Denmark's National History Museum.
The portrait of the Tasmanian-raised princess is by Sydney-born Australian painter Ralph Heimans, 35, who now lives in Paris.
Some clues to the portrait were provided ahead of the unveiling by Mette Skougaard, director of the museum which commissioned the 2.5 metres by 1.75 metres oil on canvas.
She said it fulfilled the aim of adding a dash of Australia while not straying too far from the tradition of royal portraiture.
"Our intention was not so much an official portrait, but a more personal study of her history and background," Ms Skougaard said.
"The whole composition is following those themes.
"You see a historical setting, but also reference to her own history.
"There is a royal framework and a royal setting, and traces of Mary's history in Australia."
Mr Heimans paid many visits to Denmark to complete several sittings with Princess Mary.
Princess Mary was consulted about the choice of artist, as was the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra.
Ms Skougaard said there would be no resentment among Danish artists that an Australian had received the royal commission.
"We have many royal portraits that were done by French and German artists, so this is nothing unusual in that regard," Ms Skougaard said.
"When they see the painting, everybody will see the point (of choosing Mr Heimans), because we so much wanted to emphasise her background.
"He very often puts in a narrative element and that is why we chose him."
The new portrait will be on display at Frederiksborg as part of an exhibition of contemporary Australian art, with the National Portrait Gallery lending portraits of figures such as Kylie Minogue, Ian Thorpe and Rupert Murdoch.
Heimans, who has painted portraits of Justice Michael Kirby, Tom Uren, arts benefactor Caroline Simpson and Bill Waterhouse, among others, is a past finalist in the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize.
AAP
Old 04-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The first official portrait of Mary hangs in Australia so it doesn't belong to Denmark and many people in Denmark aren't going to go to Australia just to view the painting.

I think Denmark should have a portrait of their Crown Princess that stays in Denmark as should every other country with a monarchy. But other countries may not have as strong a tradition for painted portraits which makes the Danish traditions so nice to see.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
The first official portrait of Mary hangs in Australia so it doesn't belong to Denmark and many people in Denmark aren't going to go to Australia just to view the painting.

I think Denmark should have a portrait of their Crown Princess that stays in Denmark as should every other country with a monarchy. But other countries may not have as strong a tradition for painted portraits which makes the Danish traditions so nice to see.
I agree with you ysbel, i like the tradition as well. I dont know, it gives a feeling of security. When a portrait is painted of a royal ie Mary, it is then ensured that that person will be acknowledged and remembered centuries later.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Aristocracy

- (QUOTE) - Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

- It is not Mary herself who has ordered the portrait - The National Museum of Frederiksborg Castle is the danish portrait collection (like the National Portrait Gallery in London) and this museum houses portraits of all important danes including the royal family. There is a special 'royal' gallery in the museum where photos and painted portraits shows all the members of the royal family - I think it would be strange if they should not have a portrait of Mary as she IS A MEMBER OF THE DANISH ROYAL FAMILY!

So - it's not a question about if she is yet a queen or not or if she thinks she is god's gift to Denmark!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Jaques Demolay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily
It's funny how we can all see something different in the portrait and this princess. I don't see arrogance at all in how she's painted. She appears thoughtful and serious to me. She's looking at a picture of her birth country, Australia, and seems to be thinking about that past life.
Emmily

I see it similar to the the way you do. It seems to portray her thinking about where she has been and where she has made the decision to go. Quite serious decisions in the scheme of life. No arrogance, just determination. I like the portait very much indeed.

Jaques Demolay
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Jaques Demolay

(QUOTE) - Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

Mary dosen't think that she is gods gift to Denmark. Mary is Frederiks gift to Denmark. If you believe in god then you must expect that he will make your life easier when he feels you deserve it. You obviously haven't deserved it so far.
I do recognise what you are saying though, I heard it in kindergarten when the carer gave one of us a lolly or candy, she gave us all one.

However we are grown ups now and don't all require something just because the other has it.
Letizia and Maxima will have their portraits done when the feel like it or their families request it. Heck they may even get a couple.

Jaques Demolay
Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

Some pictures from Face to Face
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mary1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	237322   Click image for larger version

Name:	mary2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	237323   Click image for larger version

Name:	mary3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	237324   Click image for larger version

Name:	mary4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	237325  

Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Gentry

I thought the picture was so beautiful! Something different, Mary is not focusing on the painter or us as an audiense but at the art that she is surounded by, I think the picture is very unique, the artist has done something new, at least when it comes to royal paintings.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Gentry

yes, boll. I agree! And the colour of the hat she was waering today... great!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita
Totally agree with you ! Poor little Mary who has to become a queen ...
No different from "Poor" little Maxima or "Poor" little Mathilda or "Poor" little Mette-Marit or "Poor" little letizia....all who are to become Queen Consorts!

Your sounding like an 18th century revolutionary Except they exclaimed Poor Little Marie ...Oh, and what would you know, same name different spelling

Quote:
princess olga
yes, the sombreness of the new portrait conveys the seriousness of mary's life and the hardships she has to endure as crown princess: after all, think about it: this poor girl, having to go and dress up to unveil yet again an official portrait of herself, it's a tough life isn't it, to unveil portraits of oneself and be admired for it...but someone has got to do it..

Bad form "PO", bad form!

"MII"
Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Commoner

Thumbs up

Mary's hat is lovely!!!:p
Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Commoner

Did the Prince cut his hair? He looks good and young. And about the painting I think it looks nice it's totally different from her other paintings. And she always looks good on whatever she wears.

Tags
crown princess mary, mary, mary donaldson