Portraits of Crown Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the purple hat then and I like it now..Its quite flattering on the Crown Princess. It sits very well with her..Didn't like the the black ensemble though.

"MII"

Last edited:
With regards to the portrait, each time I look at it I see something different. In fact the more I look at it the more I like it.:) I think that she looks looks as though she was just about to gather up her accessories (handbag, gloves, etc) to go out of the door when something caught her eye out of the window. The look to me is a "moment in time" To some people she will always appear as though she is "aloof and arragant" no matter what she does. Some people come across that way but that does not necessarily prove to be the case. I like the portrait.

With regards to her purple hat. I prefer it with the "tweed" suit but I still thinks she looks really nice with black outfit. I think as long as she is happy with what she is wearing that is all that matters. I am no fashion expert by any means but I do not recall seeing Mary in any disastrous outfits, not like some Royals :)

Scott

I agree with all the posters who like the portrait of Mary. I love it aswell. I find it to be very modern and mr. Heimans besides beeing a skilled artist has really captured Marys face and figure. I do not find her expression to be cold at all, when you look at the big picture, which Lasse Pedersen posted a link to, you can really see how dreamy she looks - I think it was pdas who called the expression 'pensive' and I couldn't agree more - Mary looks pensive in the portrait.
Other than that I love that the portrait is untraditional. I find that it portrays a modern crownprincess putting on her gloves ready to fulfill her duties.
Mr Heimans has also captured the light so beatifully as it comes in trough the big windows at Fredensborg castle.

I can't wait to se the portrait in real life!

Last edited:
I liked the potrait very much. I agree with people that the tradition and the modernity, her past and future all added up to a fine balance. And her expression is not arrogant as some point out or maybe I am just missing it. To me it is a look of reflection of growth, about the transformation and about the responsibility.

That's the room where the the engagement conference took place.

At first glance, I thought, as many others have stated, that the portrait was too dark. But looking at the large version, I find that I quite like it as it is. I liked the first portrait, but it is also nice to have other than just gala-gown portraits.

I'll have to dig out some available time and take up to the exhibit to see it in real life.

i'm looking forward to ya'll's reaction when you see it in person, be sure to post and let us know what it's like. thanks b
i like both the modern princess and the traditional portrait in the blue dress, the one with the sunglasses imo is weird and doesn't look like her at all.

I love the portrait because it is different. It is not a typical like the subject (Mary). It is heavy and dark. If I could use one word to describe it, I would say reflective. Her life in the past two years has taken on a "new" purpose and meaning. She is now a mother, wife, and princess. I think the painting shows a women who has come into her own and moving ahead.

I really, really like the portrait. Mary does look serious in it, but in a very contemplative way, I think. It's very flattering, though, and I love the outfit she's wearing in it.

Australian said:
I really like the portrait, I think it's an excellent peice of artwork. Oh and a poster said something about how Mary looked back at the painting while leaving "to get one more look at herself" or something along those lines, So what is it now? she can't look back? Oh the scrutiny lol. She was probably just seeing something she missed thats all :)

I'm with you. I don't think this princess can win!:)

norwegianne said:
At first glance, I thought, as many others have stated, that the portrait was too dark. But looking at the large version, I find that I quite like it as it is. I liked the first portrait, but it is also nice to have other than just gala-gown portraits.

I'll have to dig out some available time and take up to the exhibit to see it in real life.

I'd love to hear about your impressions, norwegianne, if you get to see it in person.

Oddly enough, I think this portrait looks more traditional than the first one in Australia. Mary is standing in a grand palace room not facing the viewer with a comtemplative otherworldly expression. In older portraits many royals looked away from the viewer and the portraits were meant to give off an otherworldly air. By those standards, this portrait succeeds admirably.

I love the composition with her off to one side and the spaciousness of her surroundings with her reflection in the mirror. The lighting overall is superb with Mary in the light and much of the room in cast shadows. It makes for a very atmospheric painting that is not just about Mary, its about a whole scene.

I have done some portrait painting myself and I like the painting except for a few small crits (which we painters always have when viewing another painting) Not that I could paint anything like this myself, but there are some things I would have liked to see different.

The halftones on her face (the areas between the dark and the light) look a bit dirty-particularly the area on her forehead and the small shadow between her cheek and upper lip. Its as if the painter wanted these areas to still be in the light where her facial coloring is cooler but the pigment got too dark and it looked dirty instead. If he had painted these areas with the warmth that he did the side of her face in shadow, Mary might not have looked so cold as many viewers have commented on. Or if he had just lightened these areas up a bit, they wouldn't have been so distracting.

Actually I think the area around her upper lip could have been handled more delicately. Its not a very flattering profile - making Mary look a bit pudgy in the lip area. I would have preferred in this area that he just lighten things up and choose a more flattering division between light and shade to show off Mary's wonderful bone structure. But these are small nits in a wonderful painting.

But the suit is really superb as is the fabric in the blue sofa. The blue in the sofa adds some much needed color.

I am definitively in the minority here but I much prefer the formal paintings with tiara, formal dress and sashes. The painting of Mary could essentially be of anyone. 100 years from now will she stand out among other paintings as a real royal princess or just another women in a very beautiful room?

The royals are different from the rest of us, at least in the way they dress up for formal occasions. Royal events and the way the royal display their jewelry has become much more toned down (compare Queen Mary and Queen EII) and it will most likely become even more so. Eventually we may only have paintings to show what it used to be like. Although photos will be available they are still not the same as standing in front of a life size painting.

A poster asked earlier and I repeat the question-Have any of the other Crown Princesses had their portrait painted?

Would this have anything to do with popularity? Please don't shoot me for asking!!!!:D

I am torn on the painting, I like it and I don't like it. I think it makes Mary look very attractive but the background seems too busy.

Remember Princess Di's first painting? Where she is in pants and sitting sideways on a chair? It was different in an interesting way and I wonder if this is trying to be the same way. After all, Mary will always be an Australian even though she is now a Dane. This portrait shows that combination.

By the way, I too detest the purple hat, yuck!

I love the portrait! Only problem I have is that it seems too cluttered and distracting from the main focus, which is Princess Mary. I don't know, but the heavy furniture and wall-paper are too much.

Margrethe II said:
I couldnt disagree more.

Have you thought that maybe its just good posture on her bahalf, not arrogance?

As for three...there have only been two official portraits commissioned. What is this other one, you have mentioned?

"MI"

In general, chin up-in-the-air gives the impression of haughtiness and arrogance. When someone has the chin up in the air, s/he almost certainly look *down* on people. Her chin wasn't even just tilted a little bit up in the air; it's way up in the air. Unless she's staring at a cowweb on the ceiling, there's no need for such a tilted head and chin. She's been holding her head like that in public ever since she came onto the scene. The artist captures it. It looks haughty and very unusual for a portrait.

The first portrait was a gift to her. I forgot who's the artist. It's just her head with the humongus black sun glasses Mary likes to wear. It's almost comical even though I don't think that's the intention. It's not a flattering portrait.

her expression to me seems as if she's waiting for her prince charming to come.....

highpriestess said:
In general, chin up-in-the-air gives the impression of haughtiness and arrogance. When someone has the chin up in the air, s/he almost certainly look *down* on people. Her chin wasn't even just tilted a little bit up in the air; it's way up in the air. Unless she's staring at a cowweb on the ceiling, there's no need for such a tilted head and chin. She's been holding her head like that in public ever since she came onto the scene. The artist captures it. It looks haughty and very unusual for a portrait.

The Denmark flag was on the ceiling- not cobwebs.:D
She was looking into her future in Denmark , serious and in thoughtfulness , the challenges and the responsibilities she will face . :)

Last edited:
pdas1201 said:
I love the fact that it shows Mary in a modern attire and not a floor length evening gown, reminiscent of the old world. We are living in the 21st century and the portrait keeps that in mind.

Regarding her pose, I don't see arrogance but a faraway look of a person whose life has changed tremendously. As said before, a pensive look.

According to an interview below, the artist deliberately put Mary in Danish design, in a Danish palace putting on gloves heading off to a royal engagement and pausing to reflect on the journey her life has taken her on. He stated that he found Mary very warm and natural and wanted to portray that in the painting.

Adelaide Advertiser

Portrait of our princess
08apr06

IT'S as much a puzzle as a portrait.

Viewers who look closely at the first official painting of Denmark's Crown Princess Mary will find a series of clues from the artist intended to keep you guessing.

Sydney-born artist Ralph Heimans altered reality to fuse Princess Mary's past and present in the giant oil-on-canvas.

"It's very different to other royal portraits. There's no tiara nor sash. She's just really young and fresh. It's her as she is in real life," he said. "She was so warm and easygoing. We had an easy rapport."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18746906%255E910,00.html

Last edited:
I like the portrait very much. I'd love to see it in person, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Isabella said:
I really, really like the portrait. Mary does look serious in it, but in a very contemplative way, I think. It's very flattering, though, and I love the outfit she's wearing in it.

WOW......Mary's beautiful outfit is from the Danish Designer as confirmed by the Australian Article as below :

The Australian

Home's not far away in portrait of Princess Mary

Peter Wilson, Europe correspondent
April 08, 2006

IS she thinking of home in Australia or bracing herself for her next appointment as a busy Danish princess?

Princess Mary gazes out the window of a Danish palace in her new official portrait, caught in a moment of reflection on her own extraordinary journey from modern Hobart girl to being the stylish new face of one of the world's oldest royal families.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18748230-2702,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
highpriestess said:

The first portrait was a gift to her. I forgot who's the artist. It's just her head with the humongus black sun glasses Mary likes to wear. It's almost comical even though I don't think that's the intention. It's not a flattering portrait.

Somehow, I dont think the artist said as he was getting ready to sketch... "Now Ma'am, if you could could seem aloof for me, arrogant, someone who doesn't really care or have the time... maybe point your chin up perh.... thats it, keep it there."

As for the first portrait, you are correct, it was a gift and so wont be classified as anything official or commissioned. Therefore there are only two.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
As for the first portrait, you are correct, it was a gift and so wont be classified as anything official or commissioned. Therefore there are only two.

"MII"

You are absolutely right......Margrethe II. There are only TWO OFFICIAL portraits of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at the moment.

The portrait with the sunglasses was definitely NOT considered as the OFFICIAL portrait at all.

Cheers

The painting is a good likeness.

She doesn't seem haughty or arrogant to me.. actually, it seems a little wistful, and a bit somber.

Harmony said:
The Denmark flag was on the ceiling- not cobwebs.:D

She was looking into her future in Denmark , serious and in thoughtfulness , the challenges and the responsibilities she will face . :)

I agree with you completely, Harmony. :)

My opinion about Mary's pose : the way Mary stands, not looking at us, but looking thoughtful and serious into the future at the challenges and responsibilities she has taken on as Crown Princess and the future Queen of Denmark. Indeed, Crown Princess Mary has a very tough & challenging life ahead......she is expected to live up to the role of Queen Consort which was previously held by Queen Ingrid!

Amen

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Somehow, I dont think the artist said as he was getting ready to sketch... "Now Ma'am, if you could could seem aloof for me, arrogant, someone who doesn't really care or have the time... maybe point your chin up perh.... thats it, keep it there."

"MII"

Are you talking about the portrait of CPss Mary in that blue dress??
and does anyone have a picture of the portrait with the sunglasses??

Linda Hsu said:
I agree with you completely, Harmony. :)

My opinion about Mary's pose : the way Mary stands, not looking at us, but looking thoughtful and serious into the future at the challenges and responsibilities she has taken on as Crown Princess and the future Queen of Denmark. Indeed, Crown Princess Mary has a very tough & challenging life ahead......she is expected to live up to the role of Queen Consort which was previously held by Queen Ingrid!

Amen
yes, the sombreness of the new portrait conveys the seriousness of mary's life and the hardships she has to endure as crown princess: after all, think about it: this poor girl, having to go and dress up to unveil yet again an official portrait of herself, it's a tough life isn't it, to unveil portraits of oneself and be admired for it...but someone has got to do it..

Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

By the way, the portrait itself is not bad.

princess olga said:
Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

Totally agree with you ! Poor little Mary who has to become a queen ...:rolleyes:

Hundreds of Mary portraits

Now there are 2 official painted portraits Crown Princess Mary has sat for, while there are literally hundreds other paintings of her made by amateurs as well as professional artists by their own ideas. The danish Crown Prince Couple has received a lot of the latter as gifts, but that does not make those official portraits at all.

Another article about new potrait http://www.theage.com.au/news/arts/marys-aussie-portrait/2006/04/07/1143916701363.html

Crown Princess Mary's Australian heritage has not yet lost its novelty value in Denmark, and has been incorporated into her first official portrait.
The portrait was to be unveiled today at Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerod, north of Copenhagen, the home of Denmark's National History Museum.
The portrait of the Tasmanian-raised princess is by Sydney-born Australian painter Ralph Heimans, 35, who now lives in Paris.
Some clues to the portrait were provided ahead of the unveiling by Mette Skougaard, director of the museum which commissioned the 2.5 metres by 1.75 metres oil on canvas.
She said it fulfilled the aim of adding a dash of Australia while not straying too far from the tradition of royal portraiture.
"Our intention was not so much an official portrait, but a more personal study of her history and background," Ms Skougaard said.
"The whole composition is following those themes.
"You see a historical setting, but also reference to her own history.
"There is a royal framework and a royal setting, and traces of Mary's history in Australia."
Mr Heimans paid many visits to Denmark to complete several sittings with Princess Mary.
Princess Mary was consulted about the choice of artist, as was the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra.
Ms Skougaard said there would be no resentment among Danish artists that an Australian had received the royal commission.
"We have many royal portraits that were done by French and German artists, so this is nothing unusual in that regard," Ms Skougaard said.
"When they see the painting, everybody will see the point (of choosing Mr Heimans), because we so much wanted to emphasise her background.
"He very often puts in a narrative element and that is why we chose him."
The new portrait will be on display at Frederiksborg as part of an exhibition of contemporary Australian art, with the National Portrait Gallery lending portraits of figures such as Kylie Minogue, Ian Thorpe and Rupert Murdoch.
Heimans, who has painted portraits of Justice Michael Kirby, Tom Uren, arts benefactor Caroline Simpson and Bill Waterhouse, among others, is a past finalist in the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize.
AAP

The first official portrait of Mary hangs in Australia so it doesn't belong to Denmark and many people in Denmark aren't going to go to Australia just to view the painting.

I think Denmark should have a portrait of their Crown Princess that stays in Denmark as should every other country with a monarchy. But other countries may not have as strong a tradition for painted portraits which makes the Danish traditions so nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom