Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably will go through a number of names before they pick one. Think about before babies are born, and how often a couple changes the name they choose for a boy or girl.Most couples have to decide when the baby is born, to be on a birth certificate.

I am a bit surprised though. I'd have thought a birth certificate would have to be issued before 3 months. Can a birth certificate have no name on it?

Yes it can. when i gave birth 8 months ago, we had to go to the church office to say we had a child (all danes no matter religious views have to do that). You have to do that before the child is 2 days.
You will then get a birth certificate that says girls/boy born on ........
and then both parents names.

You have to give the baby a name before the child turns 6 months.

Hope this clears it :) Otherwise just ask if I should be more specific

Also in DK we have birthcertificates without the name of the baby. I think it´s now the midwife who register that a girl/boy is born. Earlier (like 4 years ago and earlier) the parents had to go to priest to tell it. I think it had to be done within 2 days after the birth.

A baby has to have a name within 6 months after the birth.

Nope you still have to go to the priest. The midwife only gives the child its social security number

Nope you still have to go to the priest. The midwife only gives the child its social security number

Correction, you can actually do it online now. wow a lot changes in 8 months :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And a lot has changed since my dad (the priest) went on retirement with the end of April 2009 :D So I just mixed up the registration and the social security number :D :D :D

But I´m glad to hear that you still have to go to the priest/clerical office to get the baby registered :)

And a lot has changed since my dad (the priest) went on retirement with the end of April 2009 :D So I just mixed up the registration and the social security number :D :D :D

But I´m glad to hear that you still have to go to the priest/clerical office to get the baby registered :)

I so don't get that. We're not in the middle ages, when the only records were often kept by churches because majority of people were illiterate. In Canada it is done by the government, nothing religious about it. Why should atheists have to go to a church to register their child? Can jewish people get birth certificates at synagogues?

I so don't get that. We're not in the middle ages, when the only records were often kept by churches because majority of people were illiterate. In Canada it is done by the government, nothing religious about it. Why should atheists have to go to a church to register their child? Can jewish people get birth certificates at synagogues?

In Denmark the government and the church are not seperated so it makes perfect sence. but I understand your point of view

In Denmark the government and the church are not seperated so it makes perfect sence. but I understand your point of view

I wasn't aware Denmark was a theocracy, interesting, must have left that out of our text books. I find it also interesting Denmark has the third largest percentage of atheists and agnostics in the world, and the second largest religious group outside Lutherans, are Muslims. I'd think all those atheists/agnostics/muslims and others would have a slight issue having to go to a Lutheran church to register their child. Even in England, with the church of England, they don't have such strict governance.

I wasn't aware Denmark was a theocracy, interesting, must have left that out of our text books. I find it also interesting Denmark has the third largest percentage of atheists and agnostics in the world, and the second largest religious group outside Lutherans, are Muslims. I'd think all those atheists/agnostics/muslims and others would have a slight issue having to go to a Lutheran church to register their child. Even in England, with the church of England, they don't have such strict governance.

I agree Melissaadrian it is interesting. It is weird and it is a paradox. It ought to be an issue but as far as I know it isn't. An esplanation for this can be that most children are born on hospitals and then it is the midwife who contacte the church to register the child.

Last edited:
In Denmark the government and the church are not seperated so it makes perfect sence.

So that's also the reason why the church wedding is also valid for the state and no civil ceremony is needed :)

I really hope we don't see Sophia, at least first. There is already Infanta Sofia of Spain. I think there are plenty of other names still to be used. And I doubt such a Scottish name of Ewan would be used as a first name for a little Danish prince.
i dont know why they shouldnt use sophia just because there are a lot of sofia/sophia's already.
i remenber when Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde had Eleonore, some people said that name when they were guessing, but others told that were already lots of Eleonore variants, such as Leonor, Eloise, etc... in the end they named the girl Eleonore and they gave because they liked the name.
so Mary and Frederik need to name their babies, names they love and not because there are already some royal child with that name.
Sophie or Sophia is a really pretty name, royal, modern and feminine. i wouldnt mind and i would be so happy and pleased if they give it to their cute little girl:flowers:

girl: Loide, Isolde, Lidia (pretty rare names but really pretty)
boy: Alexander, Richard, John, Erik, Daniel, etc...

Last edited:
I agree Melissaadrian it is interesting. It is weird and it is a paradox. It ought to be an issue but as far as I know it isn't. An esplanation for this can be that most children are born on hospitals and then it is the midwife who contacte the church to register the child.

The midwife do not tell the church. You have to do that yourself. As I pointed out earlier the only thing the midwife does, is handing over the babys social security number :)

The midwife do not tell the church. You have to do that yourself. As I pointed out earlier the only thing the midwife does, is handing over the babys social security number :)

:flowers: Actually she does tell the church:

https://www.borger.dk/Emner/familie-og-boern/boern/Sider/foedselsregistrering.aspx

Besides she can't handle over the social security number without getting that number from somewhere. That somwhere is the authorities which in Denmark - in this matter - is the priest/churchoffice in the parish where the mother live. Except from Sønderjylland. There the authority is the municipality.

Last edited:
I didn't know all that about the Danish Church and government being connected. Thanks guys! :) This is really interesting stuff! Sounds a little old-fashioned to me, but interesting none the less.

As for names...

Boy:
Alexander Frederik Arthur William

Alexander - name of Mary's paternal great-grandfather
Frederik - for the crown prince
Arthur - name of Frederik's maternal great-great grandfather
William - name of Mary's maternal great-grandfather

Girl:
Johanne Mary Eugénie Alexandrine

Johanne - Danish feminine form of Johan, royal family name, also John is the name of Mary's father.
Mary - for the crown princess
Eugénie - feminine form of the name of the prince consort's paternal great-grandfather.
Alexandrine - name of Frederik's maternal great-grandmother.

Girl
Mary johanna margarethe Victoria
Boy
Arthur christian Frederick Joachim

But the new baby boy will definitely have the name Christian or Frederick as is customary in the royal family or Denmark.

I didn't know all that about the Danish Church and government being connected. Thanks guys! :) This is really interesting stuff! Sounds a little old-fashioned to me, but interesting none the less.

As for names...

Boy:
Alexander Frederik Arthur William

Alexander - name of Mary's paternal great-grandfather
Frederik - for the crown prince
Arthur - name of Frederik's maternal great-great grandfather
William - name of Mary's maternal great-grandfather

Girl:
Johanne Mary Eugénie Alexandrine

Johanne - Danish feminine form of Johan, royal family name, also John is the name of Mary's father.
Mary - for the crown princess
Eugénie - feminine form of the name of the prince consort's paternal great-grandfather.
Alexandrine - name of Frederik's maternal great-grandmother.

Isn't it a bit of over kill to use both Alexander and Alexandrine? I doubt we'll see Alexander as a first name, perhaps as a middle name. Alexander is the name of one of Mary's nephews.

But the new baby boy will definitely have the name Christian or Frederick as is customary in the royal family or Denmark.

It is customary to have it as the first name of the first son to the heir. Is it still customary to have Christian or Frederik in the middle names of every son you have?

Well hopefully friedrick, as they have already used Christian, I don't see why they would have to reuse it again.

Prince Karl Andre Friedrik William

Karl-Danish form of Charles for Mary's paternal great grandfather
Andre-for Prince Henrik's father
Friedrik-for naming tradition and dad
William-Mary's maternal grandfather

Princess Johanne Elizabeth Lovisa Renee

Johanne- Danish feminine of john for Mary's dad and brother
Elizabeth-Mary's grandmother
Lovisa- Danish form of louise for Friedrik's maternal great-grandmother
Renee- Henrik's mother

Last edited:
It is customary to have it as the first name of the first son to the heir. Is it still customary to have Christian or Frederik in the middle names of every son you have?

It may not officially be custom but it does seem to happen:

Joachim is Joachim Holgar Valdemar Christian
Fred is Friedrik Andre Henrik Christian

Joachim's sons are:
Nikolai William Alexander Frederick
Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian
only his youngest son Henrik doesn't, perhaps because both Christian and Friedrike had already been used as middle names for his brothers, though they have reused other names
Henrik Carl Joachim Alain

Anne-Sophie (or just Anne) would be a good name for the girl. But somehow I doubt it'll be a double name.
I'm still all in for Oscar for the boy. Oscar, William or Andreas.

Oscar Andre Frederik Gustav
Mathilde Alexandrine Dagmar Louise

People keep mentioning some version of Alexander or Alexandrine as a possibility, but wouldn't that remind everyone of Joachim's ex-wife, Alexandra?
Even if they are on quite good terms, I wouldn't think the RF would want that.

I don't see why it would remind them of the countess. Alexandrine is the name of Frederik & Joachim's great-grandmother. Alexander is a Donaldson family name. That's where the connection would come in; it has nothing to do with Joachim's ex-wife.

People keep mentioning some version of Alexander or Alexandrine as a possibility, but wouldn't that remind everyone of Joachim's ex-wife, Alexandra?
Even if they are on quite good terms, I wouldn't think the RF would want that.

IMO, the only thing that would remind everyone of the countess, would be if they named the little princess directly after her. (; I don't see why Alexandrine or Alexander would do harm.

I don't think Alexandrine or Alexander are options, regardless of the family connections...Too close to Countess Alexandra and Mary has a nephew called Alexander (Stephens, Jane's son)...And doesn't Frederik have a cousin, Alexandra (Sayn-Berleburg-???, Benedikte's daughter?)...so I think Alexander/Alexandra and its variations is used enough in the family for Mary and Fred to even consider it...i think they are looking for something, unusual but traditional, with royal precedence but not used regularly, and popular with the mainstream, think of Isabella, that name fits all that criteria, which is why they probably used it...So they will probably go down a similar route with the twins...Which is why I think names like Oscar and Matilda are definite possibilities...If they chose either Alexander or Alexandrine as a middle name, then that is fine, because that name won't be used on a day-to-day basis and cause a glut of Alex's within both sides of the family ;)

If they chose either Alexander or Alexandrine as a middle name, then that is fine, because that name won't be used on a day-to-day basis and cause a glut of Alex's within both sides of the family ;)

Exactly. They wouldn't use it as a first name, but IMO it (Alexandrine) is very likely to be a middle name.

Last edited:
I just had a brainwave that Robert might be used as a first name because of it's Scottish history (Robert the Bruce, the Bruce association would keep the Aussies happy too ;) ) and its Danish royal family precedence (middle name of Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert)...Would love to see a Prince Robert of Denmark too...maybe his full name could be:

Prince Robert Archibald Oscar Frederik (Prince Robbie ;) )

I just had a brainwave that Robert might be used as a first name because of it's Scottish history (Robert the Bruce, the Bruce association would keep the Aussies happy too ;) ) and its Danish royal family precedence (middle name of Prince Aage Christian Alexander Robert)...Would love to see a Prince Robert of Denmark too...maybe his full name could be:

Prince Robert Archibald Oscar Frederik (Prince Robbie ;) )

I love Robert, and it is Danish, but other then a middle name it doesn't actually appear royal in Denmark. Perhaps James. James III of Scotland and James I of England both were married to Danish princesses. It would draw a link to both Scotland and Denmark. In Danish it is Jakob, but it would be like using Isabella instead of Elisabeth.

Prince James 'Jamie' Friedrick Archibald Joachim

and perhaps since Jamie is for Scotland

Princess Mathilde Elizabeth Mary Renee

to honor her Oz roots

Anne-Sophie (or just Anne) would be a good name for the girl. But somehow I doubt it'll be a double name.
I'm still all in for Oscar for the boy. Oscar, William or Andreas.

Oscar Andre Frederik Gustav
Mathilde Alexandrine Dagmar Louise
I really hope it won't be Oscar. That one should be reserved for Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom