Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to sound like a very stupid question but here goes. Does QMII have to ok the children's names before they are anounced like in the BRFor is it compleately up M&F?

I didn't know QEII had to okay childrens names?

I didn't know QEII had to okay childrens names?
I've heard it a couple of times but mostly in my legal practice class. To be honest I think these days it's more of curtousy thing e.g. if/when William & Kate have a child they visit QEII and say "Granny we'd like to call him/her xyz" and if QEII likes it she'll say "yes that's a nice name" and if she doesn't she'll say something like " well have you thought about abc" and then there's a little negotion between QEII and the parents

I've heard it a couple of times but mostly in my legal practice class. To be honest I think these days it's more of curtousy thing e.g. if/when William & Kate have a child they visit QEII and say "Granny we'd like to call him/her xyz" and if QEII likes it she'll say "yes that's a nice name" and if she doesn't she'll say something like " well have you thought about abc" and then there's a little negotion between QEII and the parents

That sounds very plausible to me.

I can't imagine QMII vetoing a name, unless it's completely idiotic.

I can fully understand if M&F inform QMII and PH. If for no other reason than that she is the Monarch, but I wonder if they also tell the other close relatives, like Joachim and Benedikte?

These are my suggestions:

Prince William Andrè Frederik Henri :flowers:

Princess Mathilde/a Elizabeth Ingrid Margrethe :flowers:

Or what about princess Pernille? Not very royal maybe, but Pernille is such a nice Danish name! :flowers:

How about Princess Margareth Mary Elisabeth and Prince Eric Francis Alexander? As for godmothers, Princesses Maxima ( for the girl ) and Chantal Miller ( for the boy ) and for godfathers, Princes Willem Alexander ( for the girl ) and Paul from Greece ( for the boy ). Remember that the Danis and the Greek Royal families are related...:crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

How about Princess Margareth Mary Elisabeth and Prince Eric Francis Alexander? As for godmothers, Princesses Maxima ( for the girl ) and Chantal Miller ( for the boy ) and for godfathers, Princes Willem Alexander ( for the girl ) and Paul from Greece ( for the boy ). Remember that the Danis and the Greek Royal families are related...:crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

I like Prince Eric but the children will likely have 4 names not 3. Also Prince Pavlos is already godfather to Prince Christian

I like Prince Eric but the children will likely have 4 names not 3. Also Prince Pavlos is already godfather to Prince Christian

I like Eric too, but due to the fact that the baby will likely have Friedrick as a middle name due to naming practices, I have to agree with others who doubt the combination. I am continuing to hope they do not double up on any baby names from Christian and Isabella, like reusing both Ingrid and Margrethe. If they reuse Margrethe for Grandma, I'd like to see a Princess Margrethe, not once again as a second/third/fourth christian name. Even among royal names there are so many I don't see the need to use them twice. They honored those family members already, how about honoring some others.

Along with more than 3 names, they tend to have more than 2 godparents as well.

Perhaps for the princess

godparents: Prince Gustav (Benedikte's son), Patricia Bailey (Mary's sister), Princess Maxima, two family friends

and the prince

godparents: Prince Daniel, Princess Theodora of Greece, John Donaldson (Mary's brother), two family friends

A cousin of Fred's for both, a royal friend for both, a member of Mary's family for both (Jane was already godmother) and than 2 family friends.

My favorites for names are Karl and Johanne (or Margrethe if they want to reuse it but only as a first christian name).

Oh, i didn´t know that Isabella was already named after her grandmother, neither that Prince Paul was already godfather for Christian. I then propose the name Catherine Mary Elisabeth Ann for the little princess and John Eric Francis Alexander for the little prince; as for godparents i choose the hereditary couple of Holland for her and Felipe and Letizia for the little boy...

For the boy:
Johan Peter Erik Andre

For the girl:
Anna Renee Lovisa Mary

Oh, i didn´t know that Isabella was already named after her grandmother, neither that Prince Paul was already godfather for Christian. I then propose the name Catherine Mary Elisabeth Ann for the little princess and John Eric Francis Alexander for the little prince; as for godparents i choose the hereditary couple of Holland for her and Felipe and Letizia for the little boy...

Isabelle is Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe
Christian is Christian Valdemar Henri John

Friedrick will most likely be a middle name for the boy. The royal princes always seem to have either Friedrick or Christian. Joachim has Christian.
Joachim's two older sons both do as well, Felix actually shares three names with Christian. Henrik has Carl but just as a middle name.

So grandparents Henrietta and John (Mary's) and Margrethe and Henri (Fred's) have been honored. Ingrid for Fred's great grandmother. If John is used again, I'd prefer as Johanne for the little girl. Since both Mary's father and brother are named it, could be argued honoring both.

Some nice family names not used yet for the little girl for 2nd,3rd,4th
Renee (Henrik's mother)
Elizabeth (Mary's middle name, her grandmother, as well as HH Princess Elizabeth, Margrethe's cousin)
Anne/a- Anne-Marie of Greece as well as other Danish royals
Mary- For Princess Mary
Patricia or Jane- for Mary's sisters
Catherine, Margarat, Lovisa: great grandmothers of Mary and Fred
Johanne: feminine of John which is found in both families

some nice family names not already used for Christian:
Peter and Archibald: Mary's grandfathers
Andre: Fred's paternal grandfather
Joachim: for Fred's brother
Charles/Karl: name found in both family trees
Knud: Margrethe's Uncle who would have been king if not for constitutional change

Perhaps since the couple's parents were already honored

Princess Anna Elizabeth Mary Renee (Anne-Marie, Elizabeth and Renee for great grandmothers, and Mary for her mum)

Prince Karl Peter Friedrick Andre (Karl family name, Peter and Andre for great grandfathers, and Friedrick for dad)

I'm guessing that the twins' first names will be of similar attractiveness to their siblings' names.

Isabella is pretty, feminine, royal and popular today.
Christian is handsome, historical and masculine.

I don't see Patricia, Johanne, Thyra, Dagmar or Renee being used as the first listed name, nor do I see a boy of these times being called Knud in the school yard. Maybe these names will surface as the second, third or fourth listed names.
I think the Little Princess will have a name as gorgeous as her sister;
one that is deemed attractive for these times.

And I don't think Elizabeth will be used.
Like Elizabeth, Isabella is also a variant of the Hebrew - Elisheba. Isabella means beautiful Elizabeth. I think Isabella already has the Elizabeth connection. It would be akin to having children named both Charlotte and Caroline, Karl and Charles or Peter and Pierre.

I also don't necessarily think that we can expect to see the twins named after their Aunts and Uncles. As nice as their names are, the Aunts and Uncles all have children of their own to carry on their names.

I'm expecting the names to be internationally acceptable/recognisable, gorgeous and handsome with a Danish royal twist.
Maybe, as some people have suggested, Xenia, Ulrikke, Annika, Adelheid, Frederik, Andre, Charles, Peter etc.

Last edited:
Yeah my top picks - boys and girls names - would have to be: (for first names only)

Matilda
Adelaide
Anneke/Annika/Anneliese (any Anne variation)
Xenia
Charlotte
Frederikke
Dorothea
Lucinda
Claudia

Oscar
Olafur/Oliver
Archibald (Archie)
Harald (Harry)
Thomas
Marius
Elvis (nickname that might become a possibility :) )
Sebastian
Anders/Andreas/Andrej
Hugo

This wait is killing but I know in some respects it will be an anticlimax...either I will be disappointed (that is not what I wanted) or it will be exactly what I predicted and therefore not worth waiting for ;) Hurry up 14 April, I would like to get on with my life!!! :)

My favorites:

Male: Erik, Peter, Frederik, Axel, Thomas.

Female: Dorothea, Thyra, Charlotte, Josephine, Catherine.

Boy:
Ewan/Johan René Holger William

Girl:
Sophia Mary Johanne Victoire

Boy:
Ewan/Johan René Holger William

Girl:
Sophia Mary Johanne Victoire

I really hope we don't see Sophia, at least first. There is already Infanta Sofia of Spain. I think there are plenty of other names still to be used. And I doubt such a Scottish name of Ewan would be used as a first name for a little Danish prince.

[melissaadrian;1215785]Ingrid for Fred's great grandmother.]

Grandmother yes? but I'm thinking that Fred's Great Grandmother Alexandrine is a real possibility for one of the names, though not firstname. I also don't think they'll use names of aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters etc. who have their own children to do this.

I'm guessing Anna, Anna-Frederike, Helene(a), Adele/Edel, Cecelia, Julianne, Marianne but feel iffy about all of them (ie a bit Greek, Dutch, similar to other people's names etc.) so stand to be pleasantly surprised I think.

Andre, Erik, Niels...

Last edited:
For the girl:
Alexandrine Mary Johanne Charlotte

For the boy:
Erik Andrew Johan Frederik

I really hope we don't see Sophia, at least first. There is already Infanta Sofia of Spain. I think there are plenty of other names still to be used. And I doubt such a Scottish name of Ewan would be used as a first name for a little Danish prince.

I don't know that it will matter. There's a Prince Philip of United Kingdom, Prince Felipe of Spain and Prince Philippe of Belgium. There's also a Princess Elisabeth of Denmark and a Princess Elisabeth of Belgium. Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg and Prince William of Wales. So I doubt it will matter, since the Spanish infanta is Sofia and the little Danish princess would be Sophia. And as far as not using a Scottish name, Frederik and Mary could surprise us. I don't think people were expecting them to call their daughter Isabella, so we just don't know yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that it will matter. There's a Prince Philip of United Kingdom, Prince Felipe of Spain and Prince Philippe of Belgium. There's also a Princess Elisabeth of Denmark and a Princess Elisabeth of Belgium. Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg and Prince William of Wales. So I doubt it will matter, since the Spanish infanta is Sofia and the little Danish princess would be Sophia. And as far as not using a Scottish name, Frederik and Mary could surprise us. I don't think people were expecting them to call their daughter Isabella, so we just don't know yet.

Yes but there is a precdence for Isabella in the Danish royal tree, Ewan is just out in the middle of left field.

Guillaume and William may be variations, but at least they are different names. Guilliame would be referred to as such if he went to the royal wedding in the UK. The Philips I will give you, though again they are variations, though the variations sound a lot more alike. I didn't say it couldn't happen, I said I hoped it wouldn't happen, that there were so many royal names out there. Elizabeth and Isabella are variations too, but only people who know a lot about names, may know that.

All your other comparisons, other than Prince Philip of the UK, are the same generation. But you do realize HH Princess Elizabeth of Denmark was born in 1935, the little princess Elizabeth of Belgium was born in 2001, 66 years later. Princess Elizabeth of Denmark is born a year before the new princess' grandfather was born, putting them in definite different generations.

If we are to look at other generations there is Sophie of Wessex as well. Or Elizabeth II who is of age with Elizabeth of Denmark.

Again totally possible, I just said I'd personally like to see a name not used in this generation of royal children.

I agree Melissa...would be a bit boring to see 2 Sophia/Sofia's in the same generation...but if they say were to use a (Danish) variation of the boys name like Vilhelm/Wilhelm...I wouldn't see that as overlapping with Prince William...I really (for some inexplicable reason) see Wilhelm as a definite possibility ;)

Prince Wilhelm Archibald Peter Frederik (?)

I agree Melissa...would be a bit boring to see 2 Sophia/Sofia's in the same generation...but if they say were to use a (Danish) variation of the boys name like Vilhelm/Wilhelm...I wouldn't see that as overlapping with Prince William...I really (for some inexplicable reason) see Wilhelm as a definite possibility ;)

Prince Wilhelm Archibald Peter Frederik (?)

And William, though younger than Fred, or Wilhelm Alexander,is in a different generation of these twins. He will likely have a kid of his own in the next year or two. I wouldn't mind a little prince Wilhelm.

Countdown stands at 28 days to go!!! Name these twins! Name these twins! Name these twins! Everybody join me...go on!

Hahaha, we're all anxious to find out what their names will be. I'm starting to really like the name Johanne. It's so cute.

For the girl:
Helene Ingeborg Lovisa Mary

For the boy:
Kristoffer Marius Frederik William

Hahaha, we're all anxious to find out what their names will be. I'm starting to really like the name Johanne. It's so cute.

For the girl:
Helene Ingeborg Lovisa Mary

For the boy:
Kristoffer Marius Frederik William

I know, Johanne quickly became my favorite, but I have a feeling it won't be used. It would be so cute though, and a nice twist on tradition, taking a male name in the family and making it female. Kristoffer I think is too close to Christian, it is a variation of the same name.

what I'd like to see (a more modern twist, switching genders of names)

Princess Johanne Friedrikke Lovisa Renee
Prince Eric Marius Archibald Joachim

what is more likely:

Princess Helene Elizabeth Alexandrine Mary
Prince Karl Friedrik Archibald Joachim

I know a few people said no aunts or Uncles, as they have their own kids, but it is traditional in royalty to honor family. I'd like to see Joachim used.

girl

Sofia Melissa victoria

boy
Eduard Marius guillerm

the grandparents i think the crown princ felipe of spain and crown princess letizia...

I wonder if the parents have even chosen the names yet?
Wasn't it said somewhere that they selected names for Isabella just two weeks before the Christening?

I wonder if the parents have even chosen the names yet?
Wasn't it said somewhere that they selected names for Isabella just two weeks before the Christening?

They probably will go through a number of names before they pick one. Think about before babies are born, and how often a couple changes the name they choose for a boy or girl.Most couples have to decide when the baby is born, to be on a birth certificate.

I am a bit surprised though. I'd have thought a birth certificate would have to be issued before 3 months. Can a birth certificate have no name on it?

They probably will go through a number of names before they pick one. Think about before babies are born, and how often a couple changes the name they choose for a boy or girl.Most couples have to decide when the baby is born, to be on a birth certificate.

I am a bit surprised though. I'd have thought a birth certificate would have to be issued before 3 months. Can a birth certificate have no name on it?

At least in Germany there are birth certificates without given names. Everybody has to register a new born baby within a week after birth. But you might tell the given names later to the officials, but the name has to be registered by the end of a month after birth.

So the original birth certificate has no given names in it, but on the margin is written:

"The Marc John attended the registry official and notied that the male child, born on the 20th March 2011 to Mary John the wife of Marc John, has been given the given names: Matthew Michael Marcus. Read out, approved and signed "Marc John" and the official"

Also in DK we have birthcertificates without the name of the baby. I think it´s now the midwife who register that a girl/boy is born. Earlier (like 4 years ago and earlier) the parents had to go to priest to tell it. I think it had to be done within 2 days after the birth.

A baby has to have a name within 6 months after the birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom