Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would "Cassandra" not be a very pretty name?

You mentioned one double barrelled name out of an entire family. Hardly a tradition.

We have Countess Ingrid and Isabella's second name is Ingrid. It's Renée.

In the Danish royal family tree you will find quite a few examples. In Margethe's generation only one true enough. Henri also had a sister with it. But if you insist just to name a few since only naming one seems to lead to think there is only one

Christian IV and his wife Anna Christina seem to be the start of it. They had:
Anna Christina
Frederick Christian
Dorothea Isabella
Eleanor Christina
Mary Catherine
Waldemar Christian
Sophia Isabella

they had two daughters with single names

Frederick III and Sophia Amalia had
Anna Sophia

Christian V and Charlotte Amalia had
Sophia Hedwig

Frederick IV had
Frederick Christian

But I just said I thought it was a pretty tradition, and a nice honor to the queen's sister.

If single names I would lean away from ones used recently. I really like and I have said it a few times, Johanne, the feminine of Johna/John for her maternal grandfather.

Princess Johanne Renee Mary Benedikte- Mary's dad, Henri's mom, Princess Mary, Margrethe's sister

The boys I have problems with, the names seem so foreign to me, being an English speaker. I find myself leaning towards ones like George or Charles which translate into English tongue. Or perhaps Axel.

Last edited:
Were they known as both names or just one?
Because Anne-Marie is known with both names, due to IMO the hyphen in the middle.

Old names bore me personally, I can accept tradition for the first born son etc. Honouring your family with middles names I can accept when they're nice names for me Ingrid, Margrethe, Alexandra for girls. Frederik, Andre, Henri for boys. But i'm more for the modern names. Like Isabella - yes has royal connections but is more modern than old fashioned.

It is? Okay.

I can't remember the last time I met someone called Viggo.

Viggo and Vibeke? Nah, doesn't ring.

Abel and Abelone?

thinking of HRH Crown Prince's motorcycle and the recent presentation of another set of twins by Celine Dion, perhaps we might see the combination of names to honour former film stars. While Celine chose Nelson and Eddy, perhaps the Crown Prince couple could chose Marlon and Brenda (from the motorcycling Brando in 'The Wild One'). Perhaps Marianne and Peter to honour Marianne Faithful (Girl on a Motorcycle) and Peter Fonda (Easy Rider). Other forum readers might have fun in thinking up more combinations :p!:cool::lol:

the only thing that is on my mind is that the christening never comes.
this thing with the danish royal family is a bit tiring, 3 whole months to wait for the babys names.
well i never complained with christian's and isabella's, but this time with the twins it seems soooo endless, the time is not going fast!

wow and i love Lucas too (i almost forgot this beautiful name)

the only thing that is on my mind is that the christening never comes.
this thing with the danish royal family is a bit tiring, 3 whole months to wait for the babys names.
well i never complained with christian's and isabella's, but this time with the twins it seems soooo endless, the time is not going fast!

wow and i love Lucas too (i almost forgot this beautiful name)

Christian was borning. We all knew he'd be named Christian, so unless you are a secondary names fanatic. Isabella and now the twins do seem to be taking forever.

Were they known as both names or just one?
Because Anne-Marie is known with both names, due to IMO the hyphen in the middle.

Old names bore me personally, I can accept tradition for the first born son etc. Honouring your family with middles names I can accept when they're nice names for me Ingrid, Margrethe, Alexandra for girls. Frederik, Andre, Henri for boys. But i'm more for the modern names. Like Isabella - yes has royal connections but is more modern than old fashioned.

Actually Anne-Marie is not listed with the hyphen in the royal family tree, and either are the others. She is listed as Anna Marie. People often add a hyphen to reflect that the two names are to be treated as one and not seprate. But many would likely not use both growing up. Wilhelm-Alexander and Catharina-Amalia are examples in other royal families.
WA I hear usually went by Alexander when younger, why his daughter is Alexia.

Last edited by a moderator:
thinking of HRH Crown Prince's motorcycle and the recent presentation of another set of twins by Celine Dion, perhaps we might see the combination of names to honour former film stars. While Celine chose Nelson and Eddy, perhaps the Crown Prince couple could chose Marlon and Brenda (from the motorcycling Brando in 'The Wild One'). Perhaps Marianne and Peter to honour Marianne Faithful (Girl on a Motorcycle) and Peter Fonda (Easy Rider). Other forum readers might have fun in thinking up more combinations :p!:cool::lol:

Well, continuing along these lines an obvious suggestion could be Axl and Rose. :p

Well, continuing along these lines an obvious suggestion could be Axl and Rose. :p

Well if we go by birthdays then

Prince Albert Victor, son of later King Edward VII and queen Alexandra, elder brother of George V (was engaged to George's wife Mary of Teck at death) was born, at time grandson to the monarch. Though there was speculation he is Jack the ripper, so a bit sordid there. But there are a number of Alberts in the Danish royal tree, though all married into it.

Prince Albert Friedrick Peter Joachim

Helen or Elena of Montenegro, wife of Victor Emanuel III of Italy, born on this day in 1873. Again another name also to be found in the Danish royal tree including the daughter of Valdemar I.

Princess Helen Mary Elizabeth Patricia

These twins have really got me stumped...On Mary's side of the family, there are so many good names to use and same can be said for Frederik's side...but will they use some unprecedented name for a first name and use all the good family names as middle names?

They could go matchy-matchy with the A initials...Would love to see a:

Prince Archibald Oscar Stuart Frederik (Prince Archie would be great, Archibald was the name of Mary's grandfather, father of Henrietta)

Princess Anneke Matilda Patricia Jane (they could also use the spelling 'Annika'...both M & F have Anne/Annie in their families, be nice to use a more modern/Scandinavian variation of the name)

Prince Archibald and Princess Anneke OR Prince Archie and Princess Annie :)

These twins have really got me stumped...On Mary's side of the family, there are so many good names to use and same can be said for Frederik's side...but will they use some unprecedented name for a first name and use all the good family names as middle names?

They could go matchy-matchy with the A initials...Would love to see a:

Prince Archibald Oscar Stuart Frederik (Prince Archie would be great, Archibald was the name of Mary's grandfather, father of Henrietta)

Princess Anneke Matilda Patricia Jane (they could also use the spelling 'Annika'...both M & F have Anne/Annie in their families, be nice to use a more modern/Scandinavian variation of the name)

Prince Archibald and Princess Anneke OR Prince Archie and Princess Annie :)

Princess Alice and Prince Bertil (following your A with a B):p

Is there a single name that hasn't been mentioned?
I'm sure that by now, we have stumbled across the actual names Frederik and Mary will choose for the babies.

I'll trust them not to pick anything too bizarre! :lol:

I think there's quite a few names we haven't mentioned :)

Is there a prize for the person that guesses the closest/nearest to their choice? And who is going to be the lucky one to trawl through 55 pages/1092 posts of suggestions to find the winner? I am NOT volunteering by the way ;)

Hurry up 14 April!!!...Can we start a 'days to christening' countdown? 37 days from today I think ;)

In the Danish royal family tree you will find quite a few examples. In Margethe's generation only one true enough. Henri also had a sister with it. But if you insist just to name a few since only naming one seems to lead to think there is only one

Christian IV and his wife Anna Christina seem to be the start of it. They had:
Anna Christina
Frederick Christian
Dorothea Isabella
Eleanor Christina
Mary Catherine
Waldemar Christian
Sophia Isabella

they had two daughters with single names

Frederick III and Sophia Amalia had
Anna Sophia

Christian V and Charlotte Amalia had
Sophia Hedwig

Frederick IV had
Frederick Christian

But I just said I thought it was a pretty tradition, and a nice honor to the queen's sister.

If single names I would lean away from ones used recently. I really like and I have said it a few times, Johanne, the feminine of Johna/John for her maternal grandfather.

Princess Johanne Renee Mary Benedikte- Mary's dad, Henri's mom, Princess Mary, Margrethe's sister

The boys I have problems with, the names seem so foreign to me, being an English speaker. I find myself leaning towards ones like George or Charles which translate into English tongue. Or perhaps Axel.

Those you have named Isabella were actually called Elisabeth. I know there probably has been a language translation of the names, but it was their danish names at least.

Those you have named Isabella were actually called Elisabeth. I know there probably has been a language translation of the names, but it was their danish names at least.

In all royal trees I have found, Isabella has been the form given. But considering Spanish princesses named Isabella have been referred to in those times as Elizabeth by English speakers and the other way around, it was quite common. It is the same name, just different variation.

It is like people suggesting the name John here more than once, where technically it would be King Hans of Denmark, not John.

It is like people suggesting the name John here more than once, where technically it would be King Hans of Denmark, not John.
Sorry, but are you saying that John and Hans are the same name, but in danish and english? I am not quite convinced about that.

Sorry, but are you saying that John and Hans are the same name, but in danish and english? I am not quite convinced about that.

I think Hans is a version (or possible nickname?) of Johan, which is John in English.

I think Hans is a version (or possible nickname?) of Johan, which is John in English.
If anything then Hans is short for Johannes. The name Hans (in that form) is a very old danish name.

In our already mentioned calendar, I have found the masculin name of "Eddo", which I find interesting for a Prince.

If anything then Hans is short for Johannes. The name Hans (in that form) is a very old danish name.

You are right. In Danish the ancient name Hans is short for Johannes. Hans : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk

In English the name John is short for Johannes. John : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk

Hans is not a Danish translation of the English name John but both names do originate from the same name.

In German Johan is short for Johannes Johan : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk. When used in Denmark it is due to theft from the Germans :p not the English;).

The name John is used in Denmark as well and that is due to theft from the English :p

Last edited:
You are right. In Danish the ancient name Hans is short for Johannes. Hans : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk

In English the name John is short for Johannes. John : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk

Hans is not a Danish translation of the English name John but both names do originate from the same name.

In German Johan is short for Johannes Johan : Navnets Betydning og Oprindelse | baby-navne.dk. When used in Denmark it is due to theft from the Germans :p not the English;).

The name John is used in Denmark as well and that is due to theft from the English :p

I'm sorry but in English John is short for Johannes? No. John in English, etymologically is not short for anything in English. Some people mistake it for being short for Johnathan but it isn't. Other english variations exist like Shawn, Jack, Ian and Ewan. The Danish variation would be Johan or Johan's nickname Hans. Johannes is a German variation of the English John not what John is short for in English.

Again with Danish trees, like Isabella, it is having the English translation. John of Denmark is listed as either John or Hans on the tree.

I'm sorry but in English John is short for Johannes? No. John in English, etymologically is not short for anything in English. Some people mistake it for being short for Johnathan but it isn't. Other english variations exist like Shawn, Jack, Ian and Ewan. The Danish variation would be Johan or Johan's nickname Hans. Johannes is a German variation of the English John not what John is short for in English.

Can you please provide some sources for your claims?

As for the names for the twins I am sure whatever names the CP couple decide on they will be perfect - as long as they don't settle on:

Prince Øjvin Åge Ægir Øysten and Princess Æbba Jørgina Ædelfrid Åse.

Last edited:
for den Lillepig:
Catharina Mary Helene Ingeborg
Caroline Lovisa Helene Mary
Alexandra Helene Elisabeth Mary

for den Lilledreng:
Alexander Johan William Frederik
Andre Peter Thomas William

Last edited:
Lilla said:
Can you please provide some sources for your claims?

As for the names for the twins I am sure whatever names the CP couple decide on they will be perfect - as long as they don't settle on:

Prince Øjvin Åge Ægir Øysten and Princess Æbba Jørgina Ædelfrid Åse.

I can't speak for other posters sources but in America I've always understood John to not be short for anything. Jon is short for Jonathan and I've never know anyone to use the name Johannes .... Baby name books at least do not have Johannes as orgin for John that I've seen....seems to be something known here but can't speak for other English world- sometimes things are just known with needing to source

Did more research- http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/John
Johanne is a variate form on John, but John is no short for it. Thus the baby could have Johanne in his name as a form of John but it's not because it's a longer version of the name (in English) :)

Last edited:

You are right in saying John has never been short for anything in English. John and Johannes both come from the Latin Ioannes. See here: Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name John (that website is probably the most reliable name etymology website on the internet).

Jack is an English diminutive form, Ian is the Scottish form, and Seán is the Irish form of John (Shawn is the Anglicized form of Seán). Ewan is actually not related to John, although it sounds like Ioan, the Welsh form of John.

If you couldn't tell, name etymology and usage is my pet hobby. :flowers:

I can't speak for other posters sources but in America I've always understood John to not be short for anything. Jon is short for Jonathan and I've never know anyone to use the name Johannes .... Baby name books at least do not have Johannes as orgin for John that I've seen....seems to be something known here but can't speak for other English world- sometimes things are just known with needing to source

Did more research- John | meaning of John | name John
Johanne is a variate form on John, but John is no short for it. Thus the baby could have Johanne in his name as a form of John but it's not because it's a longer version of the name (in English) :)

Thanks for your answer MRSJ :flowers:

According to this link, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/John John is of Hebrew origin and Biblical it is the name of the longest-lived of the 12 apostles who was especially loved by Christ.

According to this link http://www.ancestry.com/facts/John-name-meaning.ashx the personal name was adopted into Latin (via Greek) as Johannes, and has enjoyed enormous popularity in Europe throughout the Christian era, being given in honor of St. John the Baptist, precursor of Christ, and of St. John the Evangelist, author of the fourth gospel, as well as others of the nearly one thousand other Christian saints of the name. Some of the principal forms of the personal name in other European languages are Welsh Ieuan, Evan, Siôn, and Ioan; Scottish Ia(i)n; Irish Séan; German Johann, Johannes, Hans; Dutch.

In Danish the original form derived from Latin is still in use and very popular. And as I have written in a former post the Danish name Hans is an ancient Danish name that is short for Johannes. It is not a nickname for the German short form of Johannes known as Johan and there is no connection whatsoever to the English name John - only the Hebrew, Greek and then Latin origin. As for the Dutch using the name Hans it comes as no surprise. There are many similarities between the Dutch and Danish languages.

By the way: In English the apostle known as John the Baptist, is in Danish known as Johannes Døberen and in German he is known as Johannes der Täufer.

If the little Prince ends up beeing named Hans or Johannes I will for ever remember this post when watching af photo with him portrayed :lol:

You are right in saying John has never been short for anything in English. John and Johannes both come from the Latin Ioannes.

That is where I enden up as well. Thanks for your research Lady Kathleen and the link provided :flowers:

That makes sense only one critical point though: In Danish Johanne is a female name:ohmy:

Lilla said:
That makes sense only one critical point: In Danish Johanne is a female name:ohmy:

Oops! Sorry about that, :) so the little princess can have that!

Lady Kathleen said:
You are right in saying John has never been short for anything in English. John and Johannes both come from the Latin Ioannes. See here: Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name John (that website is probably the most reliable name etymology website on the internet).

Jack is an English diminutive form, Ian is the Scottish form, and Seán is the Irish form of John (Shawn is the Anglicized form of Seán). Ewan is actually not related to John, although it sounds like Ioan, the Welsh form of John.

If you couldn't tell, name etymology and usage is my pet hobby. :flowers:

Awesome research! Thanks

I would love them to use the masculine/feminine versions of name already in the family...for example:

Marius - male form of Mary
Benedict - male form of Benedikte, would love a Prince Ben ;)
Frederikke - female version of Frederik
Johanna - female version of John

36 days to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom