Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other names I have been thinking about that they may consider:

Archibald - a family name on Mary's side, a grandfather I think and Prince Archie sounds so cute!

Beatrix - although associated with the Dutch they still might use it, a lovely name

Arthur - English royalty but Prince Arthur of Denmark has a certain ring to it ;)

I think their criteria is traditional, historical yet used in a modern context, like Isabella, a old, royal name that is very popular at the moment...

As for the couple calling the boy Elvis for the time being, I doubt they will, Frederik just said that to provide a red herring, a distraction...If the baby was called Elvis for the first three months and Christian and Isabella were used to calling their little brother that, then on the day of the christening hearing one of their parents say his name is 'Olafur Vilhelm Aage Frederik'...they might be a bit confused and even cause a scene, 'You said his name was Elvis!?'...embarassing! So I think they are just being referred to in Danish as little boy and little girl ;)

But I would love it if they actually really used it, it is a Scandinavian name (Norse) and it is also the name of my 7 year old son...and Prince Elvis sounds fabulous!

Let's hope that our Princes Elvis would never have to be king. Imagine the confusion between King Elvis and The King:ROFLMAO::lol:
It must be difficult to find the right names when one is restricted to names which were already used by the family. Luckily Christian is a nice name which is still popular today. Then they were lucky to find Isabella in Fred's ancestry. Now they will have to pore over the family tree again and I wish them good luck:flowers:

Even if they decided to REALLY use Elvis as the boy's first name, when it came time for him to take the throne he would use another name, for example:

Prince Elvis Vilhelm Aage Frederik, styled as King Frederik the add number here...I think that is the usual protocol, isn't it?

:previous:You are right, the boy is safe as long they use Frederik or Christian as a middle name.
I really like the names Louise or Thyra for the girl, but can't find a nice male name in Fred's ancestry (apart from Christian, which is already taken).

I think that is why they will look further afield and use names from other Scandinavian royal houses because they are all related anyway...Names like: Oscar, Harald, Arthur, William...and they don't need to use a strictly royal name because they are down the line of succession, like Nikolai and Felix which are also not strictly royal names either, just names they like, for example, Thomas, etc...They might look to Mary's family tree with names like Archibald, Stuart...I think they could go in any direction with these babies, they have more freedom not to stick to names that need to be used, Christian has that honour :)

For the little Prince I like names like Magnus (although there is already one little Scandinavian Prince with the same name), Alexander, Valdemar and Oscar.
For the girl I like Emma, Mathilde or Sarah. Emilie and Maja are cute too.
Let's see what they'll chose.

Even though the twins will always be Elvis and Shirley to me know, I love the names Axel and Ingrid but I also like the ring of Alexandra Margareth. Royal and pretty. I wld like to see Countess Alexandra as a godmother!

Last edited:
Feodora is the name of the youngest daugther of Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg :)

Sofie/Sophie that is pretty much the same in danish, so no preference here :flowers:

Sofie really? You seriously think Mary is going to share honors. Letizia's second daughter is already Sofia for her grandmother.Mary is going to want these kids to have their own names. I love the name, but I don't see it or others like Catherine, Amalia, Ingrid or such happening. I think Charlotte likely can be ruled out, by Princess Caroline's daughter, but perhaps not. Other royal families reuse a name sometimes, but Mary? No.

Last edited:
Sofie really? You seriously think Mary is going to share honors. Letizia's second daughter is already Sofia for her grandmother.Mary is going to want these kids to have their own names. I love the name, but I don't see it or others like Catherine, Amalia, Ingrid or such happening. I think Charlotte likely can be ruled out, by Princess Caroline's daughter, but perhaps not. Other royal families reuse a name sometimes, but Mary? No.
If you read my post you´ll see that I´m not suggesting the name. I´m just explaining the spelling of the name and that the spelling of this name doesn´t matter in Denmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the little princess I would suggest Matilda (or the European variation) or Alexander and for the little prince I like the sound of Alexander (if his sister is not called Alexandra) or Carl or Eric.

I want to suggest more names but I am sick and tired of waiting and speculating and being totally WRONG!!! And then get disappointed, maybe it is something of an anticlimax, get the photos, get the names, the move on to the next photo op, never satisfied, that is the plight of the royal watcher ;)

Just name the bubs so I can get on with my life!!

Whatever they name the twins, or even if they have names already, it would be very hard not saying their names in front of Christian and Isabella who can now talk !!!

Beatrix - although associated with the Dutch they still might use it, a lovely name.

A very beautiful name, very likely in my opinion, maybe another way of spelling it as maybe Beatrice, but I really like the name & I hope that if they chose it, they'll chose the 'Beatrix' way of spelling it, it makes it unique.

I wld like to see Countess Alexandra as a godmother!

That would be amazing. I hope she'll be.

For the girl I like Caroline, Matilda, Amalia, Astrid, Adelaide, Maria.
For the boy: Axel, Oscar, Erik and Carl.

Sorry, i was mentioning Sofie/Sophie. I love that name and if it were up to me to name the twins, i would name the girl Sofie, Mathilde or Feodora (or a combination of them) and the boy William Frederik Peter Andre.
Actually, if M+F do not want to use the name of another living royal person, it will be hard to find a nice name which is also in F's pedigree (e.g. List of Danish consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

just the girl names:
Margrethe: the Queen and already used for Isabella
Ingrid: Ingrid, grandchild of Benedikte of Denmark, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and middle name of Isabella
Alexandrine: Countess Alexandra, ex-wife of Joachim, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Alexia (Nederlands), Alexander (nephew of Mary).
Louise/Luise: Louise of Belgium (daughter of Laurent), Lady Louise Windsor (daughter of The Earl of Wessex)
Caroline: Caroline of Monaco/Hannover, ( Caroline Heering - not royal, but makes it unlikely that the name is used)
Amalie: Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands), (somebody wrote that in their circle of friends is a little Emily - so also unlikely).
Sophie: Sofia of Spain (the Queen and the Infanta)
Marie/Maria: Marie of Denmark (sister-in-law) and Mary herself
Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium
Magdalene: Madeleine of Sweden
Anne/a: Anne, Princess Royal
Charlotte: Charlotte, daughter of Princess Caroline of Hannover
Catherine: Catherine Middleton, Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands)
Isabella: the newborn's sister
Christina/Christine: Christina of Sweden, Cristina of Spain
Eleanor/Eleonora: Leonore (Oranien-Nassau), Infanta Leonor, Eleonore of Belgium
Helena: Elena of Spain, Sophie Helen of Wessex
Emma: Emma Tallulah Behn
Ingegerd: very similar to Ingrid
Elisabeth: Elizabeth II., Elisabeth of Belgium, Mary's middle name and a form of Isabella

So that leaves the following to M+F:

Thyra
Gyda

Gunnhild

Bodil
Ulvhild
Malmfred
Lutgard

Berengaria
Adelheid
Dagmar
Gertrude

Tove
Sigrid
Gyrid

Helvig/
Hedvig
Euphemia
Ingeborg
Augusta
Agnes
Mechthild
Frederikke (but very close to the father's name)
Vilhelmine
Ulrikke
Jutta
Philippa: nobody (Catherine Middleton's sister came to my mind, but she is not royal)
Juliana: ? (nobody comes to my mind, although it is used as middle name in the Nederlands (Alexia Juliana..))
Dorothea: nobody

The bold ones, are the ones who are well-known first names today. The others are just awkward.
But likely are only Philippa, Frederikke, Juliana and Dorothea. The others (Mechthild, Agnes, Ingeborg....) are sounding to medieval to my ears.

I still think, M + F do not mind, if somebody else used the name. I think it is more important for them, that they really like the names and that they are somehow traditional. But i do not think they will use names used for nieces/nephews, like e.g. Ingrid and Alexander

Last edited:
I would choose:

Prince Hans or Prince Andrew

Princess Caroline or Princess Amelia.

This theory about the names has to be in the pedigree of CP Frederik, where does it comes from? I don´t think it has to be in the pedigree, at least there´s no law about it, so that leaves it to tradition and who knows - they might surprise us here ;););)

Could you imagine them naming the twins Alexander & Alexandrea? Would be cool but then I would prefer them to have totally different names.

This theory about the names has to be in the pedigree of CP Frederik, where does it comes from? I don´t think it has to be in the pedigree, at least there´s no law about it, so that leaves it to tradition and who knows - they might surprise us here ;););)
I thought they will use traditional names which have been before in the pedrigree, because they stick to tradtion, when calling Christian. Also Valdemar and Isabella(= Isabella/Elisabeth of Austria) are in the pedigree. The other names (Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Henri, John) are the names of family members and also in the pedigree of the children.

Mary mentioned in an interview that she saw "Isabella" in F's pedigree. (from Wikipedia: Prinsesse Isabella - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi "Kronprinsesse Mary nævnte over for den australske avis The Mercury at hun havde fundet navnet på kronprins Frederiks stamtavle." )

For the girl : Adelaide, Josefine, Charlotte, Louisa, Louise
For the boy: Valdemar, Carl, Gabriel, Christoffer, Johan

I thought they will use traditional names which have been before in the pedrigree, because they stick to tradtion, when calling Christian. Also Valdemar and Isabella(= Isabella/Elisabeth of Austria) are in the pedigree. The other names (Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Henri, John) are the names of family members and also in the pedigree of the children.

The name Valdemar is growing on me for the little prince. I think it would be a great name for him. I really hope they choose Ingrid for the little princess.

there is every possibility the new little princess will be called Margrethe.

Mary mentioned in an interview that she saw "Isabella" in F's pedigree. (from Wikipedia: Prinsesse Isabella - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi "Kronprinsesse Mary nævnte over for den australske avis The Mercury at hun havde fundet navnet på kronprins Frederiks stamtavle." )
Yes, it´s very plausible that they will use names from the pedigree out of tradition :flowers: But they could surprise us, just like QMII and Prince Henrik did when they named their youngest boy Joachim and later on when Prince Joachim and his first wife, the then Pss Alexandra, named their two sons :)

I'm actually not only waiting for the name of the twins, my cousin (whose boys 1 and 2 years old call me auntie Sakah :) ) is expecting a girl in the beginning of february and they are not telling anyone before the day the little princess is born. :)

Exciting to see if it'll be the same name as the princess with a real title. :)
The boy are Emil and Adam, probably not likely as names for the prince. :)

Sorry, i was mentioning Sofie/Sophie. I love that name and if it were up to me to name the twins, i would name the girl Sofie, Mathilde or Feodora (or a combination of them) and the boy William Frederik Peter Andre.
Actually, if M+F do not want to use the name of another living royal person, it will be hard to find a nice name which is also in F's pedigree (e.g. List of Danish consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

just the girl names:
Margrethe: the Queen and already used for Isabella
Ingrid: Ingrid, grandchild of Benedikte of Denmark, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and middle name of Isabella
Alexandrine: Countess Alexandra, ex-wife of Joachim, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Alexia (Nederlands), Alexander (nephew of Mary).
Louise/Luise: Louise of Belgium (daughter of Laurent), Lady Louise Windsor (daughter of The Earl of Wessex)
Caroline: Caroline of Monaco/Hannover, ( Caroline Heering - not royal, but makes it unlikely that the name is used)
Amalie: Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands), (somebody wrote that in their circle of friends is a little Emily - so also unlikely).
Sophie: Sofia of Spain (the Queen and the Infanta)
Marie/Maria: Marie of Denmark (sister-in-law) and Mary herself
Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium
Magdalene: Madeleine of Sweden
Anne/a: Anne, Princess Royal
Charlotte: Charlotte, daughter of Princess Caroline of Hannover
Catherine: Catherine Middleton, Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands)
Isabella: the newborn's sister
Christina/Christine: Christina of Sweden, Cristina of Spain
Eleanor/Eleonora: Leonore (Oranien-Nassau), Infanta Leonor, Eleonore of Belgium
Helena: Elena of Spain, Sophie Helen of Wessex
Emma: Emma Tallulah Behn
Ingegerd: very similar to Ingrid
Elisabeth: Elizabeth II., Elisabeth of Belgium, Mary's middle name and a form of Isabella

So that leaves the following to M+F:

Thyra
Gyda
Gunnhild
Bodil
Ulvhild
Malmfred
Lutgard
Berengaria
Adelheid
Dagmar
Gertrude
Tove
Sigrid
Gyrid
Helvig/Hedvig
Euphemia
Ingeborg
Augusta
Agnes
Mechthild
Frederikke (but very close to the father's name)
Vilhelmine
Ulrikke
Jutta
Philippa: nobody (Catherine Middleton's sister came to my mind, but she is not royal)
Juliana: ? (nobody comes to my mind, although it is used as middle name in the Nederlands (Alexia Juliana..))
Dorothea: nobody

The bold ones, are the ones who are well-known first names today. The others are just awkward.
But likely are only Philippa, Frederikke, Juliana and Dorothea. The others (Mechthild, Agnes, Ingeborg....) are sounding to medieval to my ears.

I still think, M + F do not mind, if somebody else used the name. I think it is more important for them, that they really like the names and that they are somehow traditional. But i do not think they will use names used for nieces/nephews, like e.g. Ingrid and Alexander

I was thinking more along the lines of this generation, like royal children born in the same generation as the twins. I know the twins are 4th and 5th to the throne,but they could. It might be a nice honor to include the name of an older royal, like the CP of the Netherlands, William (well danish variation), perhaps if he was godfather in that case. I just think when in twenty years when these are the adults and future heirs not heir to heirs, they will likely stay away from doubling up on names. It would be one thing if a younger son or such perhaps did, but Friedrick will be king.

It's not traditional in Denmark, but I am starting to like Juliana. It perhaps has something to do with the fact I am Canadian, and the Dutch royal family lived in Canada during the war so I feel a sort of link to them.

They might choose something totally different with no royal precedent at all but still a traditional, old name...I was thinking of Olivia for a girl...Olivia does have an Australian association in Olivia Newton-John and it is popular at the moment...Princess Olivia would work, wouldn't it? Livvy and Bella are cute nicknames for sisters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom