The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?
A girl 131 59.01%
A boy 91 40.99%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Margrethe and Christian are two fairly certain names, I'd think.

Other names: I don't know much about Greenlandic names, but Frederik seems to have a particular connection to Greenland. It might be nice to have some sort of recognition there, such as Queen Margrethe has to Iceland, and the Faroes.

The nice thing about the name Henrietta is that is is not only the name of Mary's mother, but also the female version of Henrik, so in naming a female child that they would honour two grandparents in one go, to put it like that.

For a girl: Henrietta Margrethe Mary Christiane

For a boy: Christian Frederik John Harald

Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

let Mary and Fred chose name for baby names!

if Mary wanted names after her mother's names if have girls or im not sure have boys names!

Sara Boyce

Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Courtier

I hope they would include something from Scotland and something from Norse traditions. I love the name Alexandrine but I also think that one of Margrethe's names, Thorhildur, is really interesting because of its meaning and history.

I'll post here when I find nice names! But I do hope that the names won't be anything like Britney or Kaylee etc. I like the name suggestions you've all been giving but I'd like to add a little twist with the above stuff.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
If this is a girl, I'd love Alexandrine.

Yes, Danielane I love too this name !:p
or for a girl I find in their genealogy there is often:Louise charlotte or Sophie
Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Smile

for a boy I love name as Alexander:p
I think if it's a boy they will be obliged to choose a name among different others monarch !:)
Old 04-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Question

Do they have to name the poor child after a monarch?! Can't they name the baby something original?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Nobility

Question

I think it would be strange to have the child named Margrethe, because the generations are so close. Why are some people so sure that this is what it would be called...(is it tradition???)
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

As there was already a thread on possible names for Mary and Frederik's future children, the two threads have now been merged, to make for easier browsing on the subject.

Thank you,
Norwegianne
Danish Royal Forums Moderator

Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theilmann
Be offended all you will, that is your prerogative.
It doesn't change the fact that the names you listed were names of consorts , not ruling Queens. Nor does it change the fact that protocol dictates that ruling Queens in Denmark are to be named Margrethe.
Your "argument" that not every Queen can be named Margrethe, would suggest that not every King has to be named either Christian or Frederik, and with the exception of King Hans no-one has broken the protocol. In other words: What in gods name compells you to believe that protocol would be broken in this hypothetical situation???
About the name Margrethe. It was a coincidence she became queen. She was not named after Margrete 1. but queen Ingrids mother.
You cannot say it is a tradition with only two reigning queens with the same name.
And as for Margrete she was not really a reining queen. She was just ruling for minor children.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Smile

Guess they probably would NOT want to name a baby girl Alexandra even though it's lovely. My guess is Ingrid for a girl, Christian for a boy. Either way Mary will be a spectacular-looking expectant and new mommy!:)
Old 04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène
I may be alone in this, but I think this Frederik/Christian/Margrethe-thing is really boring. Come on, only three names!

If I have got it right, there is some kind of law that says a king or a queen _has to be_ named either Margrethe or Frederik/Christian, but do they have to be called that as first name, or is it ok if it's only a middlename? And is there really a rule that says this, or is it just a tradition?

I can't say I understand this, but maybe that's because I'm not Danish...
I totally agree and I am Dane. I think Christopher would be a lovely mane and Denmark already have 3 christophers so why not
Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Since no other Royal house has such a strong tradition around two names (Christian/Frederik)for male heirs, I´ve added a poll. So you can tell us, if you think, that a boy would be named Christian or if you think they would choose an other name. Maybe we will know more in October...or mabye the baby is a girl, then we won´t...
Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Majesty

Lena, perhaps you should have phrased your question as little differently such as... Do you think, he would get the name Christian as one of his FIRST names? Remember most royal children get several first names.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Nobility

well The Princess and Prince are expecting their first child:

http://www.hello-magazine.co.uk/roya.../marypregnant/

-Eliza
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

For girls I like Alexandrine, Astrid, Inger, and Christina.
For boys I like Alexander, Balduin, and Andre.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Aristocracy

For a girl I like Lise and Grette (both are pronounced like Lisa and Greta). For a boy, I like the name Chrs
Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

For a girl, I like Lise and Grette (pronounced like Lisa and Greta) and for a boy, I like Christian. It's a nice name and traditional also. I always like the traditional boys names and the original girl names. :)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

Oops! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post the first one - I wasn't finished yet!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Courtier

if its's a boy they may not certainly call him Christian but I think they gonna name the babt "[a name]+Christiane"
Old 04-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Commoner

The father of Queen Margrethe II had the first name of Christian, yet he reigned as King Frederik IX, so maybe the first name could be any name, as long as the usual Christian or Frederik is there.

I did think that Frede would reign as Christian XI, because then it would go Frederik, Margrethe, Christian. If he uses his first name then it's Frederik, Margrethe, Frederik. :o

The Danes aren't the only ones in a rut with royal names, if you look at Britain, the last few Kings were all George or Edward. Queen Elizabeth II was obviously tired of that, looking at the future King Charles and future King William.

Anyway, if they have a boy, I think he will be
Christian John Henrik Frederik

If they have a girl,
Thyra Margrethe Henrietta Viktoria

Elisabeth is a nice name, but there allready is a Princess Elisabeth in Denmark, she is the first cousin of her majesty. Ingrid as a first name is unlikely as the future Queen regnant of Norway is Ingrid, so that might be her second name, a call name like the baby Dutch Princess is called Amalia, but will be Queen Catherina.

If anyone is having trouble coming up with Danish names,

Danish names are here
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/dan.html

Danish royal names are here
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/denmark.html

Closed Thread