Crown Princess Mary's Visit to Uganda: September 28-October 4, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting on helmuts to blow up landmines is safetly, not PR. It's a major part of many a refugee program. They cannnot go home if they cannot play or plow their fields. So Diana got photographed in the same get up. That's is what they wear (mine clearing crews.) Someone should tell Queen Noor that she needs to stop doing the same PR crap as Diana then. These are the problems of our world. I wasn't aware only one person in a lifetime is allowed to be apart of a charity.

As for superficial and being the center of everything? Well, that is your opinion, I don't not share it as I have not seen her act that way. Perhaps Mary should drink more beer in public or smoke a few cigarettes. Maybe that would make her more authentic and real.

Putting on helmuts to blow up landmines is safetly, not PR. It's a major part of many a refugee program. They cannnot go home if they cannot play or plow their fields. So Diana got photographed in the same get up. That's is what they wear (mine clearing crews.) Someone should tell Queen Noor that she needs to stop doing the same PR crap as Diana then. These are the problems of our world. I wasn't aware only one person in a lifetime is allowed to be apart of a charity.

As for superficial and being the center of everything? Well, that is your opinion, I don't not share it as I have not seen her act that way. Perhaps Mary should drink more beer in public or smoke a few cigarettes. Maybe that would make her more authentic and real.

This is what I said actually :), that it is neither very spectacular nor new for a princess to get photographed like this but still it is absolutely ok and acceptable ;-)), So I agree with you here.

Regarding her beeing superficial I don't get the point with a drinking and smoking Mary, to be honest. What I meant was that this trip should mainly not be seen as a "life lesson" for Mary but as Mary promoting the work of the Refugee Council. If she has learned something during those days, so better. Than the visit was a double success. And as said, I canot and will NOT claim that she is superficial but she comes up like this. I simply can't get rid of the impression that she lacks some closeness to the subjects she is supporting. And YES, this is only my opinion and you do not have to agree with it at all :flowers:

Looking superficial (and just looking, I don't know if they really are) is the problem of the entire Danish RF if you ask me. There seems to be so little depth to them compared to e.g. the Dutch RF. They look like just another bunch of celebrities doing their thing without any real commitment. Mind you, that's just MY opinion.

Looking superficial (and just looking, I don't know if they really are) is the problem of the entire Danish RF if you ask me. There seems to be so little depth to them compared to e.g. the Dutch RF. They look like just another bunch of celebrities doing their thing without any real commitment. Mind you, that's just MY opinion.

And I could easily claim the exact opposite thing with regard to the Dutch and Danish royal families - since I follow my own mostly and only have a fairly superficial impression of the Dutch - and I suspect that the same is true for you only reversed :) It's Ok to be infatuated by one's own royal family. The danger of course is that you yourself get superficial in your view of other royal families. Is my opinion......

Re the general discussion about looking superficial. I don't see Mary as superficial at all; I see her as a somewhat more reserved public person than say Maxima or countess Alexandra (when out in public) - but that, to me, is not a negative trait. Mary's willingness to enter whole-heartedly into her new country and work consistently with her causes gives her lots of credits in my book. And I have never heard any rumour that she - in private - has another persona than what she seems to be in public. Good for her if she is able to retain a small part of herself for her personal life and not necessarily 'wear her heart on her sleeve" for public display all the time, I'd say.

There seems to be a PR plan in Denmark to make her the " new Diana " . Sorry but I guess if you really want to rise awareness you have to be authentic ....
And Diana was authentic?? IMO it was always her in the centre and PR for herself, the cause came second. And IMO she actually proved you don't have to be authentic to raise awareness. You just have to be a media star. (And I do remember well that in my country the awareness for the landmine problem was only raised after Diana's sudden and dramatic death. Then suddenly she became the "inventor of the wheel".)

Besides, I actually think Diana is persona-non-grata in royal/aristocratic circles (they wouldn't say it loud of course). IMO all royal houses are trying hard their princesses will not become "the new Diana", meaning: a nightmare for the royal family.

Looking superficial (and just looking, I don't know if they really are) is the problem of the entire Danish RF if you ask me. There seems to be so little depth to them compared to e.g. the Dutch RF.
I think you are mixing up refinement with superficialness. Looking unrefined, like the Dutch usually do, doesn't mean they have more depth.

Oh dear, the Dutch RF looks unrefined?? Well, maybe on Koninginnedag (Queen's Day on April the 30th), some members can be a bit spontaneous, but unrefined?? No, they are not. Mind you, I am not infatuated by any RF as Userdane suggested. I'm rather critical to most of them. Look at Beatrice and Eugenie of York, that's unrefined behaviour, I don't see anyone in the Dutch RF act like that. Maybe it's because the Dutch like being spontaneous and the Danish (maybe) not?

PR is always a part of living and working within a royal family. Diana created her own very clever PR strategys . Therefore she was very special in a lot of aspects, like them or not. Seen in a context of several trips that failed from a PR point of view ( Australia etc. ) Mary had to do something of substance. That is what she did in Uganda. She may have a good purpose but she always appears like copying PR strategies that have been successful for others...

Why would 'she' be the one who has instigated this visit? I imagine it has been a joint decision by the Danish Refugee Council; Andreas Kamm from DRC has said that the organisation wanted to show this aspect of the organisation's activities to its patron - naturally with the two-fold purpose of raising more awareness of the cause - and since the DRC has planned a nationwide collection in about one month's time which will focus on refugee children and their difficult circumstances, I fail to see how Mary's visit with her relatives in Australia in any way concerns the trip to Uganda.

trips that fail from a PR point of view - LOL :D antipathy is one thing but when it affects common sense it does become amusing.

I do not think that Mary's trip to Uganda was very spectacular as she hasn't done anything spectacular there actually, though she really impressed me by this travel as it came - at least for me - quite surprisingly. She has done what all crown princesses would do on such a mission which is - for my part - absolutely ok and acceptable.
I agree, I fully expected a few more cartwheels, a lot more jewels, maybe the odd evening gown or two. Maybe a spectacular dinner as well. :ermm:

What spectacular event did you expect? She is the wife of a Crown Prince and would of course be looked after, probably the same as you or I would be if we were there representing a cause. The fact that Mary is in Uganda bringing attention to their plight, no matter how un-spectacularly, is probably enough, certainly for the orphan children.

PR is always a part of living and working within a royal family. Diana created her own very clever PR strategys . Therefore she was very special in a lot of aspects, like them or not.
Yes, but in Diana's case it seems PR was the only part that mattered and worked well. And she wasn't working within the royal family, actually she was working against the royal family with her PR strategies.
Besides, could you give me a clue about the "very own PR strategies created by Diana". (It seems she invented the wheel again.)

Diana is dead since 11 years, she was a failure in a lot of aspects and she doesn't matter in Denmark (and probably never did, except for media people perhaps), like it or not. To say:
There seems to be a PR plan in Denmark to make her the " new Diana "
is just absurd.

Seen in a context of several trips that failed from a PR point of view ( Australia etc. ) Mary had to do something of substance. That is what she did in Uganda.
I hope this doesn't come as a shock to you but there were hints of a trip to Uganda in early January, long before the Australian visit.

Mary is patron of DRC since 2005 and of several other organisations. Like it or not, she has done quite a bit of substance in the 4 years she is crownprincess and this trip is just another step. (And not PR damage control! Besides: Several trips that failed......????)

UserDane
antipathy is one thing but when it affects common sense it does become amusing.
:lol:

How did the trip to Australia fail from a PR point of view, certainly not in Australia all magazines even the rather dubious one have had nothing but positive articles,
I think a few people on boards like this made a mountain out of a molehill, and continue to try to make something out of nothing.
Please tell which trips that in your opinion failed from a PR view? I am unable to find one.
I find it rather sad when someone is out there doing somethng positive and all people can come up is they maybe coping someone, what a sad sad world.

Oh dear, the Dutch RF looks unrefined?? Well, maybe on Koninginnedag (Queen's Day on April the 30th), some members can be a bit spontaneous, but unrefined?? No, they are not. Mind you, I am not infatuated by any RF as Userdane suggested. I'm rather critical to most of them. Look at Beatrice and Eugenie of York, that's unrefined behaviour, I don't see anyone in the Dutch RF act like that. Maybe it's because the Dutch like being spontaneous and the Danish (maybe) not?
Well, we were talking about "looking", weren't we. I can't say how the Dutch RF behaves because I don't follow them that closely.
To you they may look spontaneous, do me they look different. Perhaps "unrefined" is too strong a word, but I am always glad I am not a Dutch taxpayer when I see the RF. Simply not my style. And their so-called spontaneity looks fake to me. :)
(Sorry, if I am offending you but at least I am not posting in the Dutch RF thread, praising the substance&refinement of the Danish RF there.)

Sorry to say so , but Mary is one of the few royals that do not really impress me at all when it comes to her charity work. After 4 1/2 year of being the CP of Denmark she very rarely leaves her comfort zone for things like visiting a refugee camp. Remember her first big to do as a CP was to do a photo shoot for the Australian Vogue. I think this speaks for itself. Yes she grew into her role as CP. But still this all seems to be too much made up, not something that grew from real interest or passion. Or she is very passionate about her charitys but has no talent in showing her passion ...

What's with the comparisons today? This is a thread about Mary's trip to Uganda. Not a thread about comparing various royal families qualities or lack thereof.

Nor is this a thread to bash Mary's work in her charities. So if you have issues with the quantity or quality of Mary's charities, you may express yourself in the appropriate thread. Any further off topic comments will be deleted immediately.

Empress - Danish Forums Moderator

I agree, I fully expected a few more cartwheels, a lot more jewels, maybe the odd evening gown or two. Maybe a spectacular dinner as well. :ermm:

What spectacular event did you expect? She is the wife of a Crown Prince and would of course be looked after, probably the same as you or I would be if we were there representing a cause. The fact that Mary is in Uganda bringing attention to their plight, no matter how un-spectacularly, is probably enough, certainly for the orphan children.

In fact if you have read my comment closely you would see that I am supportive of the agenda that was arranged for her around this trip. This is exactly what I would expact a crown princess should do when heading off to such a sensitive visit and - for my part - this is absolutely ok and sufficiant. The only suprising thing was that she actually travelled to Uganda. But that was it! I was in no way referring to her wearing any spectacular jewels or gowns. And of course I know that she was being looked after because as she is indeed a crown princess I absolutey would expact the highest security, safeguard and care! However, I also truly believe that those orphan children could not care less about a Crown Princess Mary but are more interested in the concrete medical and financial help she would bring! Hopefully Mary was aware of this as well and realised the real essence and importance of this trip: namely the cause and not herself! And hopefully, either behind close doors or not, she could not only manage to raise awareness but also bring people to help financially and even politically. Only than I would call her trip spectacular.
icon7.gif

And hopefully, either behind close doors or not, she could not only manage to raise awareness but also bring people to help financially and even politically. Only than I would call her trip spectacular.
icon7.gif

Well, Naggi you can start calling the trip spectacular right now. The 9th of november the DRC are making a nationwide fundraising campaign. The trip to Uganda was a lead up to this campaign ;).

Well, Naggi you can start calling the trip spectacular right now. The 9th of november the DRC are making a nationwide fundraising campaign. The trip to Uganda was a lead up to this campaign ;).

Let us discuss this on the 10th of November
icon12.gif

Can the Danish Members, who have watched the documentary of Mary's trip to Uganda, give us a feedback please? Thanks.

Stellad

PR is always a part of living and working within a royal family. Diana created her own very clever PR strategys . Therefore she was very special in a lot of aspects, like them or not. Seen in a context of several trips that failed from a PR point of view ( Australia etc. ) Mary had to do something of substance. That is what she did in Uganda. She may have a good purpose but she always appears like copying PR strategies that have been successful for others...

Again, please feel free to point to specific facts and specific trips where there is concrete proof that it was a PR trip to begin with, and that it was a failure.

Again, please feel free to point to specific facts and specific trips where there is concrete proof that it was a PR trip to begin with, and that it was a failure.

Come on, Empress, you simply don't understand the way of thinking behind this claim.... It goes like this: Mary used to be a PR professional. She travels. Thus her travels are PR trips. I don't like her even though she does PR through travelling. Thus her PR trips were failures. :D

Come on, Empress, you simply don't understand the way of thinking behind this claim.... It goes like this: Mary used to be a PR professional. She travels. Thus her travels are PR trips. I don't like her even though she does PR through travelling. Thus her PR trips were failures. :D
I just knew there had to be a straightforward explanation ;) - thank you for explaning this so clearly Jo :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah.... might could accept that.... except I'm a PR professional as well.....

Following the weird logic Empress, if you go to Uganda this will be a PR trip as well - especially if you get married to a prince :hmm:

Princess Mary did a wonderful job on this trip! Thanks for all of the links

First thing that came into my mind when I saw Mary in Uganda wearing a shield while walking through landmine area: this is Diana PR.
There seems to be a PR plan in Denmark to make her the " new Diana " . Sorry but I guess if you really want to rise awareness you have to be authentic ....
Please do not underestimate the respect that I personally felt for the Princess of Wales for bringing attention to the landmines issue, but unfortunately her death did not cause a miracle and remove the bloody things and despite emotional international statements and rulings they are still there. I may be reading bad traslations but it is my understanding that Denmark like many nations with a conscience ( Australia and Ireland included) has a deployment of soldiers working on the problem pretty much long term . Not much press or glamour just getting on with it and as Denmarks CP she was right to visit them and frankly I dont really care if she is compared and gets bad press as long as this issue is publicised. These people are well able to feed and educate themselves unfortunately they live in a part of the world where much of the fertile land has been mined with mines incidently manufactured by companies in the Western so called civilised world. These poor people need every assistance they can get. I may laugh in previous posts about them calling her the heir to the throne of Denmark but lets face it they have more important things to spend money on than protocol officers havent they.

Well, what kind of effect have these visits to Uganda ? Let me ask this way: how many of you, dear posters , have been given money to the Danish refugee council after Mary went to Uganda? Or thought about helping as a volunteer over there? Or heard from people who want to do this?

Mary does exactly for her patronage what others do or did in the past, royal examples being Princes Bernhard & Philip for the WWF, just to name one organisation (on an international level though) and if by Mary's visit now more people in Denmark are aware of the Danish Refugee Council it was already worth it. Maybe some feel even motivated to donate money. That's what offering a patronage is all about - making use of a public figure in order to raise awareness. Mary was invited by the Danish Refugee Council to go to Uganda for that purpose - it's not that she woke up one morning, thinking "I'll go to Uganda today to become the next Diana", informed the media and jumped on a plane.

Every year the danish refugee counsil launches a Christmas calendar which is interrelated with a christmas calendar television broadcast on the DR1. Almost every family in Denmark byes one or two calendars. The surplus from the sales are transfered to children in need somewhere in the world. This year it is Uganda. Along with the launching of the calender a lot of work is done to informe the danes - especially the danish children - about the living conditions of the children receiving the aid and in the danish schools the teachers usually grasp the launching of the christmas calender as an opportunity to teach about the receiving country.

Well, what kind of effect have these visits to Uganda ? Let me ask this way: how many of you, dear posters , have been given money to the Danish refugee council after Mary went to Uganda? Or thought about helping as a volunteer over there? Or heard from people who want to do this?

If you could for just one brief moment supress your yawn-inducing urge to belittle Mary 24 hours of your undoubtedly otherwise busy day, you might have read previous mails which explained that the organisation for which Mary is a patron has for some time planned a nationwide collection day on 9 November. For your information 9 November has not come and gone yet.

I am sure that it gives you personally a lot of satisfaction to constantly belittle whatever Mary does - but I do wish for you that you would get a healthier perspective on life at some point in time. We all have persons we don't like - most of us just don't dedicate an inordinate amount of our precious life to keep nagging about it. Move on ... enjoy your life, you only have one :)

Every year the danish refugee counsil launches a Christmas calendar which is interrelated with a christmas calendar television broadcast on the DR1. Almost every family in Denmark byes one or two calendars. The surplus from the sales are transfered to people in need somewhere in the world. This year it is Uganda. Along with the launching of the calender a lot of work is done to informe the danes - especially the danish children - about the livingconditions of the people receiving the aid and in the danish schools the teachers usually grasp the launching of the christmas calender as an opportunity to teach about the receiving country.

Thank you for sharing this information, Lilla. This sounds like a successful fundraiser for a good cause. They should make their calendar available internationally. I would buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom