Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 14: May 2018 - September 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crown Princess Mary was honoured with the Danish Speaker's Prize at the Logograf 2018 conference in Copenhagen today, November 20.

Mary received the prize for the speech she had held during the 50th birthday celebrations for Crown Prince Frederik in May.

** ppe gallery ** belga gallery ** fb gallery **

** kongehuset: H.K.H. Kronprinsessen modtog Danske Talers talerpris **

** BB: Kronprinsesse Mary fik flot pris for fødselsdagstalen til Frederik ** translation **

** dr article with video: Mary vinder pris for tale til kronprinsen: Jeg havde ikke forventet, den ville få så meget opmærksomhed **

Later Mary participated in the Children's Day at UNICEF Denmark in Copenhagen:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** fb gallery **

** kongehuset: H.K.H. Kronprinsessen deltog i "Børnenes Dag" **

** dailymail: The wardrobe staples a royal swears by: Princess Mary wears tweed jacket and black pants at official event..**

Last edited:
:previous: How nice! It was indeed a wonderful speech
It looked like she had some fans in the window;)
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0397297440/profimedia-0397297440.jpg
https://api.profimedia.com/data/large-preview/4/0/0397323815/profimedia-0397323815.jpg

gallery from the Children's day
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6368288

added:
another article on the speech for Frederik's birthday
http://underholdning.tv2.dk/royale/...T09t7OIxP55-bkHmLnF_0efniexxJGt9fUon0Bx0urVrs

from the Dr article , Mary on her birthday speech to Frederik
"- I wanted to talk to my husband. To touch him and tell him what he is for me. I wanted to invite others - to let them see what I see to take them on the journey that has been ours." :wub:

it really was a knockout speech

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great speech!

But also well build up and that's why she got her award.

It was build up around a number of anecdotes and very personal, so we kept paying attention, because we didn't want to miss the next chapter of this sweet little personal portrait of Frederik and his family.
That was the explanation given by one of those who were behind awarding Mary.

Well deserved award for Mary, it was a wonderful speech full of warmth, love and laughter.

Love the first photo so cute.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2018.
Written by Marianne Singer.

During the speech Mary gave after being presented with the award, she explained how she worked on the speech and what went through her mind up to the speech.

Before the big day Mary had been made aware that it was expected she would give a speech at the gala. And she thought: "Naturally." And at the same time she thought: "Panic!!"
Recovering from this initial feeling she felt very strongly she wanted to tell her husband, the guests and the Danes.
So she pondered for a long time and wrote down the ideas that went through her mind, good and bad.
"I wanted to talk to mt husband, to touch him. To tell him what he is to me. And I wanted to invite everybody. To take them with us on the journey that has been ours. It had to be personal without being too private.
And it's not easy to balance being both open and and honest so that what you say is interesting and can be felt while at the same time stick to formality. The speech wasn't only to my husband, it was also to the future king of Denmark. It wasn't just to be held in our home, it was to be held in the Great Hall at Christiansborg Palace, in front of a hall full of people and a nation looking on."

So from time to time she tested part of the speech on people near to her in order to see whether the balance between humor and being solemn was there. "I would like to combine the frank with the serious and the humorous, because that's how we are as a couple."

The humor was daunting in particular. Because what if it flopped? What if there was silence after the speech rather than laughter? Or worse, it had gone too far?
"So I rehearsed many times. I knew that I would be really nervous when the time came to step up on the rostrum. And I can reveal that this is the only time I have had to break the etiquette and excuse myself during dinner in order to wash my hands."
The challenge/aim was that her nervousness wouldn't get in the way of what she wanted to tell and how she wanted to tell it. In that way the speech became hers, the words, the intonations, the rhythm.

This was actually her first official speech to her husband.

"I'm married to a very versatile husband and in that lay a significant part of my inspiration. I wished to lift the veil for the facets of his, his many disguises.
That would have meant a very long speech, so I had to pick. I opened the speech with just that dilemma. All the things I would like to say, all the things I can say, all the things I can't say and all the things there is room to say. That's how I started the speech and then I ended with the words from a beautiful song, which is one my husband is very fond of. - Of all the things she said, she said... - In that text was the essence of what was the very most important thing for me to say; that the time, the place and the love is for real."

- Let's have a look at the speech, with English subtitles. Just click on the subtitles option in the lower right of the video.

Last edited:
It really was a great speech. Right balance. And a very happy Crown Prince.
Reminds me a little of another great speech in the DRF, Frederik's speech to the Queen for her 70th birthday.

Thanks Muhler for the translations and summaries.

Reactions: EML
A little detail: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...r-foreslog-kronprinsesse-mary-til-fornem-pris

It was actually the politician Bertel Haarder, who suggested Mary should receive the Speakers award.
Bertel Haarder is not just anybody in Danish politics. He is currently the Nestor in the parliament. (I.e. the MP who has been there the longest.) And despite suffering from bi-polar disorder has has been a minister quite a number of times. At times having been used as the government "firefighter". That is he was put in charge of a ministry that didn't work satisfactory. - Usually because of the minister Bertel Haarder replaced...
A man with a temper, he is in every respect and whether you like him or not, an interesting person.

He has publicly talked about his genuine respect for Mary on several occasions.

Crown Princess Mary is on a two-day visit to Kenya from November 27 to November 28. Together with Ulla Toernaes, Danish Minister for Development she arrived at the Kalama Airstrip in Samburu Country yesterday.

The visit focussed on "the promotion of women's rights and economic independence through local projects":

** fb gallery ** belga gallery **

** BB: Kronprinsesse Mary på hemmelig rejse i Kenya ** translation **

** BB: SE BILLEDET: Kronprinsesse Mary i kenyansk folkedragt ** translation **

** hola: Mary de Dinamarca se proclama la 'reina de África' durante una visita de trabajo 'secreta' **

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower.

Yes, no wonder this visit has been kept secret. This area is only some 2-300 km from the Somali border and Kenya has been plagued with incursions across the border as well as terrorist attacks in Nairobi itself.
I see security is heavy and at least two bodyguards are from FET. You can always tell the police officers from PET from the special forces types from FET.

Denmark and Danish representatives is a genuine potential target, because the Danish navy and special forces are assisting Kenya and other east African countries in building up an efficient coast guard. Especially in regards to boarding techniques. Piracy is a menace for local coastal shipping as well. Not least that the international navy presence at sea has all but eradicated pirate attacks at sea.
So a more efficient coast guard in neighboring countries, especially Kenya, is an annoyance for those behind the Somali pirates.
It also means it has become more difficult to infiltrate Kenya by sea, for heavier groups who intends to perform a quick raid. The Kenyan security forces are pretty quick to react, so raiding parties have to be heavily armed in
order to accomplish anything deeper inside Kenya.
Infiltration is an option of course, but much more risky and uncertain for specific operations. There is always a big risk that a hiding pace will be compromised or that an arms cache is intercepted, not to mention that those who are to carry out the raid are being caught.

But back to Mary. it happens quite frequently that raiders cross the border to snatch foreigners close to the borders, whether they are tourists or work on projects. The purpose is of course to extort a ransom.
So foreign dignitaries visiting Kenya only 300 km away is an opportunity. Not so much for getting a ransom. But attacking foreign dignitaries is a goal in itself, and if any dignitaries are killed or wounded, it's a triumph!
Even though Kenya has plenty of bandits of their own, Mary and co is not a desirable target. Bandits are after all interested in getting home in the evening to spend their loot...
The problem is of course that women are in particular vulnerable and in risk of being oppressed, let alone routinely exploited in areas that are insecure. Hence why Mary is as far out as it must be considered safe to go at present.

Thanks Iceflower :flowers:

Crown Princess Mary is one genuine, loving and hardworking Crown Princess.
I guess she may be on her way home now where the trip has been published.
It's understandable that the trip has not been public.

Today - Wednesday, 28. November 2018

Crown Princess Mary at 'Deliver for Good' Kenya launch in Nairobi, Kenya, also with Katja Iversen, CEO of Women Deliver and Danish Minister for Development Cooperation.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFHf3NXcAAEz90.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFNAuaW0AAgOhF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFFIaNW0AET89m.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFHf3pWsAASes8.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFnv_iWkAA2mA4.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFnxVFWwAAghnN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtFnx6YW0AEwYyd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtE0vCoXQAAowJk.jpg

:previous:

This picture is very lovely!

And from TV2:
http://nyheder.tv2.dk/udland/2018-11-28-kronprinsesse-mary-paa-besoeg-i-kenya

:previous:

Wonderful pictures indeed!

In Denmark we have seen pictures from the first day and got good information about the two-day visit with the Crown Princess and the Minister for Development, but we have not seen pictures from the second day (although they are wonderful)
This visit was not published and therefore not covered as normally. I can imagine that we maybe will see a reportage from the Crown Princess and Minister for Development's trip at the annual large 'Denmark's Collection' which will be held in February next year.

ADDED

Keep an eye on the DRF's Instagram today ?

Throughout the day, H.R.H. The Crown Princess will share pictures here on Instagram from the just ended trip to Kenya in a photo serie. On her journey, Her Royal Highness, visited a number of projects and organizations working to improve the rights of girls and women.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqwtTYjgqOh/

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2018.
Written by our associate in Kenya, Ulrik Ulriksen.

Mary who was accompanied by Minister for Development, Ulla Tørnæs, started her two day visit to Kenya, by flying to Kalama about an hours flight from Nairobi. Also in the air, was another plane with the Danish press.

Well arrived to a temperature of 30 degrees C (86F) she started by inspecting the local security forces. Security was tight under this part of the visit, due to incursions across the border from Somalia, so both security forces, Kenyan police and Danish special forces were present.
Then she went with the Danish delegation to meet the locals, especially the local women, who are supported by a Danish project (Danida), in which the women receive support, encouragement and counseling in setting up their own little businesses. That means an increasing women have become economically independent, and with that comes more status, more personal freedom and more influence.
As such Mary was on arrival draped and adorned in locally manufactured products.
Mary said: "It was a very festive reception. It made an impression to see people from the different cultures who live in the area. It does cause some challenges (they used to be enemies and rustle each others cattle) with the various cultures, but it can be handled by incorporating women more, who help creating a dialogue. You work together in order to create peace and as they say in this area, peace also create progress. And with progress opportunities are created."

- The tribal nomadic cultures in this part of Africa are very much based on cattle and typical for nomadic cultures also they are also mainly traditional warrior cultures. - And that includes cattle rustling.
Being proud and male dominated there have been considerable problems in trying to introduce reforms. In the early 80's there was a serious attempt to introduce camels as a replacement for cattle. Camels are admirably suited for the terrain, fauna, climate and not least the occasional drought.
No way! For a culture were a polite greeting (among men) is: "How is your cattle?" Camels were not a palatable change. And Nomads are most reluctant to settle down as farmers. Traditionally they look down on farmers, whom they used to raid and generally tyrannize.

But seeing women setting up their own businesses has inspired a number of local men to explore the possibilities for setting up a local enterprise too. As a supplement to cattle, of course...

During the visit Mary was very busy with her camera. Mary explained that she will use the photos to tell her children about what she has seen and been doing in Kenya. "It's good memories to take back home and the pictures can be used to tell some of the stories we have heard here today."

After a lunch, with some of the local representatives, Mary and the Danish delegation flew on to the nature reserve Lewa. Here Danida is also involved in involving women in running the reservation.
Typically that is an extra income for men, who work as guides, guards, drivers, caretakers and what not, in order to accommodate the tourists coming to the reserve. These are jobs that are well suited to a nomadic people. Unfortunately the article does not provide details about which functions the women are involved in.
The delegation and the journalists spend the night at Lewa, and to the obvious delight and fascination of the press corps a pride of lions had killed a larger animal close to the compound and they were still around feasting when the Danes left shortly after sunset.

Then it was back to Nairobi, where the delegation visited to slum area of Kibera, where some 700.000 people live.
Teenage pregnancies and single mothers is of course a social issue in Kenya as everywhere else. Not least as some of the women, well, girls really, go to Nairobi to seek work and end up getting pregnant and abandoned. Without their family nearby they are of course extra vulnerable. - Not that it always help to have a family, as many of the girls are ostracized. So social workers offer help and advise to young mothers or women who have become pregnant.
Strolling through the narrow streets the delegation made its way to the house of Action Foundation, where children and young with handicaps receive help. And here Mary met Maria Omare, who founded Action Foundation. The purpose of the foundation is to find and help handicapped children who are either abandoned or hidden away by their families.
Mary had a long chat with many of the young mothers and the people who help them.
While there Mary also made a number of TV-spots, that are to be aired in 2019 in connection with a national fundraiser, that will focus on children in need.
Three year old Abby seems to have melted Mary's heart, because she carried the child around for a long period during the visit.
The visit ended with the local women getting Mary to join them in a dance.

Mary also took part in the launching of the #DeliverforGood campaign in Kenya, which aims to promote and further women's rights in Kenya.

But see for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/nexagnxkq8obyqo7xbja60fvtmvbu9nx

Crown Princess Mary participated in a conference with Sex and Society, the IFU and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Copenhagen today, December 11, and talked about women's health and gender equality:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** ppe gallery ** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Was it a commercial plane?

EDIT: Saw that it was SAS.

So Mary as Crown Princess couldn't have taken an air force jet or helicopter? Or is that only for the queen?

Last edited:
Well, I supposed she could hitch a ride on one of the daily helicopters going from the Defense Command in Copenhagen to the Navy Operational Command in Aarhus.
But that's about an hour in the air, if there was even a helicopter going to Aarhus around the time it was realized the plane couldn't take off.
The alternative could be to commandeer one of the rescue helicopters on stand-by, but that's a little problematic because a helicopter (EH101) may not be available for an emergency near Copenhagen, if it's in Jutland with Mary.
She could also ask for one of the fast army helicopters, a Fennec, but they are stationed in Jutland - where she is going.
Okay, then there are the light observation planes used by the Air Home Guard, but they are flown by volunteer pilots, who for obvious reasons tend to fly outside normal working hours.
Then there are the trainer planes, stationed not that far from Copenhagen, but I doubt they will use a plane for anything that isn't an emergency.

Then there are the Challenger jets, but they are stationed at a base near Copenhagen. So to take Mary off the passenger plane and drive her to the base would take way too long time. Apart from the fact that using a Challenger for such a short flight would be unfortunate PR-wise.
I don't think we have to consider further alternatives like a double-seater F-16 or a Hercules transport plane, eh? ;)?

I think that the plan was for Mary to touch down in the airport near Aarhus, then drive swiftly to Aarhus on the highway. Having finished there she would proceed swiftly on to Hammel, and then back to the airport. She should have been back in Copenhagen before her oldest children came home from school.

And I think that by the time it was realized the flight from Copenhagen couldn't take off, it was too late find an alternative, without leaving people in Aarhus waiting for at least a couple of hours, so the simplest and best option would be to cancel.
It was basically only two ribbon-cutting events.

Logistics is my trade, as you may be able to tell. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom