The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree about the seeking 15 minutes of fame. If there was a spare dress, we would've known about long before now. And "spare dress" implies a duplicate, whereas the dress shown looks more like a knock-off. The article implies that the "spare dress" was of a different design, but it doesn't look like it. Maybe the design was in the running but not chosen.

May I ask for clarification are the Emmanuels the one that leaked the picture? Because if so then well now they would know if there is a spare dress or not, they were the designers! And the article says Diana didn't know about the spare apparently.

i agree about the spare dress. my thoughts are this is close enough to the real thing that if the design was leaked then it wouldne be that big of a chance to have the wow factor.

It has long been rumoured that there was a spare dress and now you finally see it. I don't think that was the case in the past.

In reference to seeking their fifteen minutes of fame, as we get closer to William and Kate's wedding, since we know so little information...all the press can do at the moment is talk about previous weddings (i.e. the carraiges, the dresses, the cake and the like). I recently read someting that quoted Samantha Shaw, who designed Sohie's dress. Since the press doesn't know who is designing Kate's dress they are talking to people (i.e. designers of previous dresses to get a feel for the look they were going for, the security, etc.).

Just a thought.

It is possible the 'spare' is actually a fake of sorts. Perhaps the designer made two designs, but only the cream puff we know and its duplicate at Madam Trussaud's was made. The design may have been laying around and someone decided to make it. It doesn't look like it is made out of the most expensive fabric. Someone trying to get some of the 15 minutes of fame, by using the Diana memory before the wedding.

We all agree, I think, that Dianas dress was perfect for 1981 but didnt stand the test of time. Which is quite bad for a designer who still wants to play top-league in the 2010s. I wouldnt wonder if Ms. Emanuel used the actual Royal wedding to put the blame for the "meringue"-dresss over-the-top-ness on Dianas choice on presenting this dress which "wasnt discussed with Diana", so obviously showed the pure influence of the designers.

Was this "spare dress" with the different design mentioned in the Diana-dress-book by the Emanuels? And if not, why?

The Emanuels made a replica specially for Madame Tussaud's but with a train only about half the length of the real one due space restrictions at MT's and it would take too long to embroider a replica of the real train.

BTW I cannot imagine Diana in any other wedding dress than the one that she wore!

In last month's Majesty Magazine, there was an article about the Emmanuels and the making of Diana's gown. David Emmanuel stated that they had made up another gown prototype for Diana, in the case that her wedding design was found out and leaked to the press, but luckily, such a scenario never happened.

Thank you for those videos! Another user on flick called Waxbitch has quite a big collection of Diana photos which obviously inlcudes lots of Wedding and Pre-Wedding photos though you have to search through the album in order to find them which is why I didn't post any links but for anyone interested the photos are excellent quality.
Hi, thanks for the compliment on my flickr site. If you click on 'sets' on my flickr page it will show you the photos organized so you don't have to search through the photostream to find certain photos.

Royal forum 'jennifer68' (aka) Flickr 'Waxbitch'

Nice to finally meet you! LOVE your collection! Ah yes shortly after I wrote that post I figured out about the sets but musta forgotten to edit my post :p

Looking at all of those photos reminds me of my youth. Ah... the good old days. It also reminds me how silly I thought it was to have Diana always standing on a lower step or Charles on a stool so he'd appear taller than her. Silly, silly, silly.

^I'm going to watch the full show on Monday see if she says anything more that we don't know. I really liked the preview though seemed interesting.

pdas1201 said:
last few...

Check out Pic #4--The all got tired and fell to the floor:)

The all fall down photograph was the best! So candid and natural. Such a precious moment.

Beetlejuice said:
Seeing the photos makes me sad. I still can't believe she's been gone.

New photos from the next wedding will prove she lives on through her children. It is an admirable gesture for both sons to want to carry on all their mother's charities. The future of this monarchy looks very bright. Good parenting by both parents shows up in the actions of their children.

The link is dead how odd...^ Well guess not completely odd since it was about Elizabeth Emmanuel and had a picture of Toyah Wilcox

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom