Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sofia looked absolutely beautiful, and you could feel the love between them and the people in the church.

There is nothing wrong with seeing some similarities in Sofia and Catherine's wedding dress. I too thought about it.

The Swedish royals have shown us that royal weddings don't have to be stiff and starchy event. You can maintain class and dignity, all while bringing a new sense of joyful celebration to the event. I know Edward and Sophie enjoyed that.

Last edited:
What traditions ? Did you want Bach, Mozart and Händel for an hour or what ? That's certainly not a tradition.

Actually, for most ROYAL European weddings classical music is indeed tradition...an elegant one that I happen to prefer.

But Swedish and Scandinavian weddings have their own kind of charm, mixing tradition with a considerable amount of informality.

Protestant weddings are short because the wedding properly is not held within a full mass as it is normally the case in the Catholic church. When Philippe of Belgium, Felipe of Spain and Guillaume of Luxembourg got married (with a full mass), it took forever !

Ah, yes indeed. ! With communion and everything it can go on and on. !

It's not too bad for the royal guests who arrive shortly before the bride and groom but for the first arrivals at a ceremony like this it must seem like an eternity in the Church.

Queens Mathilde and Maxima stole the show today indeed. In my opinion also, they were the most regal, had the best hairstyles and best dressed of the guests.

Another American here who did not like the pop music. I thought using the Sister Act mix of "Ode to Joy" was an odd choice, as was the casual way they wandered back down the aisle hand-in-hand.

But, Carl Philip looked like the happiest groom I've seen in a long time, so that was nice.

I was a little surprised that the crowds weren't bigger. Maybe it was just the way SVT shot it, but there were big sections along the parade route that didn't seem to have many people compared to the turn-out for Victoria's wedding.

The live coverage has stopped on my end. When will it resume again?

Well, in the first place, that title belonged to Victoria first, but because of Male-preference law, when Carl-Philip was born, he took that title from his sister. At 7 months, at the will of the people, the title returned to Victoria, since it was established primogeniture law.

About the look of the Bride, she was beautiful indeed. I like her dress BUT where are those times of Maxima, MM, Letizia, Mathilde, Mary, where we would see a bridal gown that looks diferent? Nowadays, evey bride just uses lace and the same type of dresses. To me is boring, of course, it's their choice, but I miss something diferent than the "boring" trend of bridal gown that everyone seems to like.

Carl-Philip did not take the title from Victoria. Victoria wasn't even included in the line of succession until the constitution changed in 1980.

What a beautiful wedding! They sure finished off the (hopefully) last wedding of their generation with style :D I loved the processional music and I adored the recessional. It was untraditional yet perfectly suiting. The cheesy wedding music was a must, I suppose, it's not a Swedish royal wedding without it.

QMII, Sonja and Désirée's strong-coloured gowns were fabulous but overall I don't really have strong feelings about the different dresses tonight – not the wedding dress either. It doesn't matter though, they all looked so happy and wonderful and that's what matters :blush: I loved that Victoria was an emotional wreck, it was so touching to see (and she looked gorgeous in the Connaught Tiara – although I would have loved for Sofia to wear it).

I loved Leonore – she reminded me of Estelle at Madeleine's wedding. I loved that she continuously tried to get in contact with QMII (who is notoriously bad with young children so she felt a bit uneasy) and then proceeded to be held by her father, her mother, her uncle and her aunt (Daniel was the definite winner of the Who can make Leonore stop screaming? competition). Estelle was cute as a button as well – who doesn't love her, the little thing.

Overall I think it was a smashing wedding. Definitely one of my favourite royal weddings. So personal and beautiful.

Last edited:
Sofia looked absolutely beautiful, and you could feel the love between them and the people in the church.

There is nothing wrong with seeing some similarities in Sofia and Catherine's wedding dress. I too thought about it.

The Swedish royals have shown us that royal weddings don't have to be stiff and starchy event. You can maintain class and dignity, all while bringing a new sense of joyful celebration to the event. I know Edward and Sophie enjoyed that.

Honestly it crossed my mind for second as well that it was similar to Kate's but Sofia's gown is more of an aline and seems to have more lace. Both gowns are very pretty.

I preferred the dress to Kate's actually though I'm not a great fan of lace. Stockholm was shown to great advantage (what a beautiful city) and the wedding IMO was simple and dignified. Sofia looked elegant, I thought, and I like the bouquet, veil and the simple chignon. I'm glad she got a tiara as a gift.

I thought Estelle, with her little bow, behaved very well, but maybe Lenore is just that little bit too young to take to a ceremony like this. She's a wriggler, as is natural to a baby of her age, and kept being handed down the line of relatives!

I like Marie of Denmark's green gown, though Queen Sonja of Norway's yellow was a rather unfortunate choice. I think Maxima looked very well and Sylvia's gown and sapphire tiara looked superb.

I am sooo happy for both Carl Philip and Sofia. To me, they look very amazing today! The wedding dress is wonderful and add me to the people who prefer it over the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding gown. I thought I will be disgusted by Carl Philip but I was not! He looks very happy, and it makes me sooo happy for both of them! I saw Sofia's back tattoo not yet erased but it didn't flare up my feathers! I just love seeing their widely-smiling faces, Carl Philip's most obviously the happiest of the two. Sofia is as happy as he is, no doubt, but she shows some sign of nervousness (major, major public appearance on her first day as Princess of Sweden so it's understandable). Ohhh, I very much love their wedding although I just see it through the very helpful facebook page Carl Philip - fans and friends. I love it when they kissed, I see Carl Philip's smile and his face reads "We're finally married and I'm soooo happy!!!"
I love this photo!
https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=59534f44c528cbd1263b0a6b1ebe042d&oe=55EC3B5B

And what happened/was spoken in the wedding that made Mette-Marit cry? Is there some moving wedding speech there? I hate that I don't know Svenska :/

Sorry for this rant but I just love, love, love their wedding! God bless the newly married couple named Carl Philip and Sofia!!!
(excuse my excessive exclamation points which I overuse even in normal posts but my use this time went overboard as I can't contain my euphoria for them)

Last edited:
What a beautiful wedding ! :heart:

I'm not a big fan of Sofia, but we must admit Prince Carl Philip and her are in love :flowers:

What a lovely wedding! The music wasn't to my taste other than Fix You, but it clearly meant a lot to them. I don't think i've seen a royal wedding with a happier groom and as many emotional tears from guests!

I also don't blame them for having a step away from traditon. clearly the music meant something to them so given that there will be some quarters who will critisise them no matter what they do (too posh - who does she think she is? too similar to his sisters - how unoriginal... etc etc) so they may as well get the grief for the wedding they really wanted.

As to the gowns of yesterday, maybe today's brides prefer a lighter look. Of the brides you mentioned, my standouts were Mette-Marit, whose gown was so simple and stunning, and Letizia's gown was dramatic as it was beautiful. Maxima had the most beautiful bridal veil I've seen in a long time. That lace trim was so lovely. I haven't seen anything to rival it. Letizia's veil came in a close second but it can't beat Maxima's.

I totally agree, Maxima had the most beautiful veil I've ever seen!

I don't particularly enjoy pop music in weddings, not because it is not traditional, but because a church wedding is after all a religious ceremony where music should fit into the liturgy and serve liturgical purposes. Catholic and Anglican weddings do that very well, coming from different traditions. I don't know a lot about the (Lutheran) Church of Sweden though.

I am sooo happy for both Carl Philip and Sofia. To me, they look very amazing today! The wedding dress is wonderful and I prefer it over the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding gown. I thought I will be disgusted by Carl Philip but he did npt! He looks very happy, and it makes me sooo happy for both of them! I saw Sofia's back tattoo not yet erased but it didn't flare up my feathers! I just love seeing their widely-smiling faces, Carl Philip's most especially. Sofia is as happy as he is, no doubt, but she shows some sign of nervousness (major, major public appearance on her first day as Princess of Sweden, so it's understandable). Ohhh, I very much love their wedding although I just see it through the very helpful facebook page Carl Philip - fans and friends. I lovevit when they kiss, I can see Carl Philip's smile and his face reads "We're finally married and I'm soooo happy!!!"
I love this photo!
https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=59534f44c528cbd1263b0a6b1ebe042d&oe=55EC3B5B

And what happened/spoken in the wedding that made Mette-Marit cry? Is there some moving wedding speech there? I hate that I don't know Svenska :/

Sorry for this rant but I just love, love, love their wedding! God bless the newly married couple named Carl Philip and Sofia!!!
(excuse my excessive exclamation points which I overuse even in normal posts but my use this time went overboard as I can't contain my euphoria for them)
Thank you for that wonderful balcony shot! They looked relieved and happy. I know they're glad it's mostly over and they can look forward to a night of fun and lots of love.

Everyone seem to have enjoyed the wedding and had a good time. I'm sure Carl Philip and Sofia can't wait for the honeymoon. That's where the real fun begins!

I think Sofia's mum would have looked better if she had done something with her hair. It just looked like she had done her everyday blow dry. Some sort of style and decoration would have really set her whole look off.

Stand-out points for me, in no particular order:
the tears of so many;
the beautiful new tiara with emeralds;
the confidence of the King calling upon his subjects for cheers for the bridal couple, which were immediately forthcoming;
Princess Estelle is a darling!;
when I view occasions like this I am reminded that I am a citizen of the world and Royal families are, if you like, archetypes of families everywhere.
I wish their Royal Highnesses every happiness.

Sofia Hellqvist's wedding dress revealed - hellomagazine.com

the dress looks similar with Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress...............
Yes I noticed that. It really is most unfortunate the people insist on copying Catherine, I mean all they have to do is not wear a white dress with lace, and of course, a veil and tiara, and really, did she have to copy the flowers as well?

All brides have to do is wear anything other than any shade of white . . . black's looking good, but watch out for the lace and flowers are a difinite no, no! :lol: :ROFLMAO: :whistling:

Ok Forum members! Who has the formal wedding portrait pictures? I know somebody out there have them already. Hurry up and post them so the rest of us can see!!! LOL!!!

I wish they had time to change their clothes just because I refuse to give up that Victoria wore H&M to the wedding :D

Surely all the guests wont fit in that room...

For me, I really love the gowns of Princess Tatiana of Greece, Queen Mathilde, Queen Mary and Queen Máxima!

Back
Top Bottom