Lord Frederick Windsor and Miss Sophie Winkleman 12th September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lord Frederick is 31st in line so I suppose we can say this was more of a society/family affair rather than a royal wedding.

If this is a 'fairytale style' wedding dress, then it's the 'Barbie Bride' kind of fairytale, and terribly old-fashioned in its own way - indeed looking as if made for some 'Dynasty' series season finale, ca. 1985.
I don't find the amount of cleavage shocking, but quite unnecessary for a bride.
The official wedding pictures are photographed beautifully against the outline of the Hampton Court facade.

I would guess that there were no photographers permitted inside Hampton Court Palace as the guests were arriving and leaving. So far the photos we have seen were ones taken outside Lady Annabel Goldsmith's house and the photos of the couple posed in front of (I would guess) a selected photographer.

Lady Helen Taylor arriving at the reception

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a 'fairytale style' wedding dress, then it's the 'Barbie Bride' kind of fairytale.
More the style produced for the british Sindy doll than her American equivalent. Beautifully understated rather than the grotesque figure hugging styles apparently favoured by some!:whistling:

As I expected Princess M. looked like a Queen. ;) Gabriella elegant as usual but I'm not so happy about her choice of colour. However both looked great as well as Lady Helen looked stunning.

I'm not so sure about Sophie's gown... :unsure: Its very 80ies IMO and I expected something very different from Sophie and Freddie. I hope we will see a few more pictures... I think, they are a wonderful couple, Freddie and Sophie both are so cute. :in_love:

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

My congratulations to them both.. She made a beautiful bride...and he, a handsome groom. Now maybe the Daily Mail can just move forward and leave them alone finally.

Guests at Windsor/Winkleman wedding

I must say I am surprised at the apparent absence of HRH Princess Alexandra. She is the groom's aunt, sister of his father Prince Michael.
No mention of her at all.
Beautiful bride, thought Lord Frederick looked great too. I found it a tad disappointing that she is the first Kent bride not to wear the fringe tiara, apart from Lady Nicholas Windsor who did not wear a tiara at all.
Beautiful earrings though, very appropriate.

Indeed. Where is/was Princess Alexandra??? I hoped for a group photograph. :cry: Maybe one will be published later.

I must say I feel like complaining to the BBC. That headline of theirs about Sophie was totally unnecessary. She has after all appeared in other roles. Or they could just have said actress. They just won't cut Princess Michael or her family any slack, not even on her son's wedding day to a lovely young lady.

Yes Taree I agree typical of the spiteful and bitchy English press but I think they looked really charming [mods am I allowed to use the b- WORD PLEASE REMOVE PRN] and the guests were all very nicely dressed. Lady Helen looked just gorgeus. Yes Princess Alexandra one of my favourites I looked forward to seeing her. Liked the jewels Sophie wore. Thanks for all the prompt posts.

Indeed. Where is/was Princess Alexandra??? I hoped for a group photograph. :cry: Maybe one will be published later.

Princess Alexandra was present; she was one of the first to arrive, along with Lady Ella and her grandson Alexander. I think Crown Prince Pavlos (of Greece) arrived with them as well.

I guess they can't say Charles and Camilla snubbed the wedding since Laura and Harry Lopes were present: they can be called the representatives of the family.
And we know why Princess Beatrice didn't attend: she was at the wedding of Ned Abel Smith (Richard Branson's nephew) and Eliza Pearson (Viscount Cowdray's daughter): Beatrice is close to Ned, as well as his cousins.

I can't say I particularly liked Sophie’s dress, especially that low sweetheart neckline, but she looked radiant.

Long and happy life to the couple. :)

Last edited:
If I had to use one word to describe the dress, it would be tacky. The puff of the skirt was over the top, made it look like a prom dress w/ the shiny fabric. I get that she probably wanted a modern, stylish strapless dress, but royal/Hampton Court etiquette made it inappropriate to bare her shoulders. But I think lace bolero made it worse. Lace just doesn't work with the low cut of neckline (eek!), ruching and shiny satin.

Princess Alexandra was present; she was one of the first to arrive, along with Lady Ella and her grandson Alexander. I think Crown Prince Pavlos (of Greece) arrived with them as well.
Good to hear that Princess Alexandra was there. I really would have been surprised if this wouldn't have been the case. Any pics of her?

Here's another article:
Lord Freddie Windsor and Sophie Winkleman spurn cash deal - Times Online

Pictures of the wedding guests :flowers:

Ben Goldsmith with his wife Kate and daughter Iris: Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Laura Parker-Bowles: Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Lady Rose Gilman and George Gilman: Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Lady Gabriella: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/90640572/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Here we have Marie-Chantal of Greece: http://i26.tinypic.com/nqe7mw.jpg

And Bryan Adams: http://i27.tinypic.com/w010cz.jpg

Good to hear that Princess Alexandra was there. I really would have been surprised if this wouldn't have been the case. Any pics of her?

Here's another article:

Lord Freddie Windsor and Sophie Winkleman spurn cash deal - Times Online

I haven't managed to find a picture of Princess Alexandra yet. I thought I saw one on Isifa but right now, I can't find any pictures from the wedding there, let alone a specific one.

Thanks for the pictures. Great to see Laura and Lady Rose. :flowers:
Laura looked lovely and Lady Rose was just stunning: I think she might have well been the best-dressed lady of the day.

Well I seem to be in the minority. I think the bride was beautiful. I would love to see a picture of Sophie with her train.

Sophie looked beautiful as I anticipated. However, her dress is incredibly ugly and the fabric looks very cheap. The overall style is very dated and the lace sleeves look like a last-minute addition.

I must say I feel like complaining to the BBC. That headline of theirs about Sophie was totally unnecessary. She has after all appeared in other roles. Or they could just have said actress. They just won't cut Princess Michael or her family any slack, not even on her son's wedding day to a lovely young lady.
That's her most famous role and the one with which she is associated the most.

congratulations to the newly wed couple! The kents have the most beautiful woman in the entire british royal family, Marie-Christine and Ella are stunning, regal, perfect! Now they have Sophie - what a gift (I wish the line of succession could change if I look to them)! But what happened to Freddie? Once such a special, handsome guy, now looks matured and a bit sick? But however hes one of my favourites as well! In my opinion the bride looked fantastique! Unique!

I have mixed feelings about the dress so I won't say anything. And since it's her day I guess she can wear what makes her happy. The newlyweds do look happy, that's what's important. I do hope one of the magazines does an article on the wedding and gives us some beautiful pictures. And I agree that Ella did look gorgeous.

Lady Gabriella Windsor: Stunning, perfectly stunning —

BBC NEWS | UK | Windsor marries Peep Show actress : "Lady Gabriella Windsor, Lord Freddie's sister, gave a bible reading from the Song of Solomon."

Lots of drama for 'minor' royal wedding - World - NZ Herald News : "LONDON - It sounds like your average wedding dramas - a nervous bride, pushy mother-in-law and problems working out how to pay for the whole shebang."

Freddie Windsor's Wedding. 12 Sep 2009.

Lady Gabriella Windsor. Stunning, perfectly stunning —

Call me outdated and old fashioned, but I feel that the bride and Princess Michael showed too much cleavage for a religious ceremony. I think it's vulgar and not just this particular wedding, but all religious weddings. I did like the Princess' choice of jewels.:) Lady Helen Taylor and Lady Gabriella were classy as the Duchess of Kent. Laura Lopes is forgiven by me because the poor girl is pregnant with twins and in my eyes can wear whatever is comfortable.;)
A lot of the women were dressed rather tacky. Princess Marina would have been horrified.:ohmy:

:previous:

I tend to agree. It all could have been a bit too revealing (nevertheless I found Princess M.'s gown elegant & sexy). Well, I honestly expected a very different style for Sophie Winkleman's gown, I dislike the sleeves, but I came to the result that apart from the sleeves it isn't that bad. I think to call it incredibly ugly goes a bit too far - I've seen gowns which were wide more ugly. :lol: But I'm indeed disappointed.... :nonono: And btw I expected another suit for Freddie as well (I don't like grey on him)...

agree completely, too much of everything, shiny material, embroidery on the dress, lace sleeves, too lowcut decolte. The mother and sister of the groom definitely outshine the bride. They (Freud, who is controversial but still) say that men often marry women completely different than their mother, Freddie is a point in case.:flowers:

If I had to use one word to describe the dress, it would be
. The puff of the skirt was over the top, made it look like a prom dress w/ the shiny fabric. I get that she probably wanted a modern, stylish strapless dress, but royal/Hampton Court etiquette made it inappropriate to bare her shoulders. But I think lace bolero made it worse. Lace just doesn't work with the low cut of neckline (eek!), ruching and shiny satin.

There is a picture of Lady Rose on Isifa and it looks like the Countess of Ulster behind her. There is also a pic of Princess Marie-Chantal arriving at the reception.

BTW I didn't see any harm in the BBC calling her the "Peep Show" actress. For anyone who dosn't know it is a comedy and the title dosn't refer to what you might thin'k, it gets it's name from the way it is filmed ie each character talks into the camera.

Well I seem to be in the minority. I think the bride was beautiful. I would love to see a picture of Sophie with her train.
We may be in the minority on here, but possibly not in the real world!
--------------------
Sophie looked stunning, with beautifully placed embroidery on her plain dress, who needs lots of embellishments when you are so pretty. The only outfit I found tacky was the mother of the groom with the push up bra, not an appropriate outfit.:ohmy:

We may be in the minority on here, but possibly not in the real world!
--------------------
Sophie looked stunning, with beautifully placed embroidery on her plain dress, who needs lots of embellishments when you are so pretty. The only outfit I found tacky was the mother of the groom with the push up bra, not an appropriate outfit.:ohmy:

I can not see push up bra, looks more like a corsage and its ok! She is a beautiful woman and can wear whatever she wants. She has a decolleté like a 30 year old woman. Stunning!

I can not see push up bra, looks more like a corsage and its ok! She is a beautiful woman and can wear whatever she wants. She has a decolleté like a 30 year old woman. Stunning!
A corsage is the floral arrangement often worn by the mother of the bride/groom, did you mean a corset? Obviously we are seeing different things or a different picture of M-C. Her decollete is that of a woman of 65. IMO totally inappropriate.

Back
Top Bottom