HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally think Frederik's uniform is tough to 'pull off'.
Guys usually have it easy with wedding attire, military uniforms are pretty straightforward but for some reason, I find the cut and tailoring of his uniforms to be off. He always looks likes he's swimming it it IMO.

Last edited:
I agree with you Dof E I have always thought so and wondered is that the way things are supposed to be ass I'm not an expert on Military clothing...and while I',m at it he cannot IMO pull off the head gear ...

Nothing news about the party today at Chateau de Berg??

Very Beautiful shot ,, The Couple looks Amazing ,,, Princess Mary looks very elegant , she’s one of the best at church wedding ceremony , Prince Frederik's he’s always looks Nice , Thank you for posting .

There was another older lady sitting with Jean and Fabiola, do anyone know who she is, could it be Alix, dowager princess of Ligne, the sister of Jean?

yes, I think that was indeed Alix.

I personally think Frederik's uniform is tough to 'pull off'.
Guys usually have it easy with wedding attire, military uniforms are pretty straightforward but for some reason, I find the cut and tailoring of his uniforms to be off. He always looks likes he's swimming it it IMO.

I have to agree, Duke. The uniform wears Frederik, not the other way around. Willem-Alexander has the same problem too.

On the subject of military uniforms, the Luxembourg uniforms seem rather stark.

Probably eliminated by Vatican II, along with most of the wonderful old traditions.

not entirely, since they did it. There are still around the world, statues who are like dolls and you can remove their dresses and change their outfits at times. I'm thinking about the Good Friday when we usually put on the Virgin's statues a mourning dress...and then on Easter Sunday a colorful dress to symbolize the happiness for the resurrection...

I hadn't realised how old Stephanie's parents were until I saw her elderly father being held up. Her mother was 20 years younger than her father, but she was still "elderly" at 70. I then thought that seemed quite old to have a 28 year old daughter, but then worked it out that Alix would have been 42 when she had Stephanie (the same age Sophie Wessex was when she had Viscount Severn). That is not that old, but as Stephanie grew older she must have been very aware of how much older her parents were.

Yes, the colors were unfortunate.
But they are the colors of the Luxembourg flag, so...better to have the clothes be patriotic rather than becoming?

But it is hard on the older girls.

(I'd have put everyone in the blue and just used a touch of the orange in the flowers).
Good idea! Or there could be a suble edging on the tie on the back and the self same buttons.
Though they did have orange flowers in their hair already, which wasn't very well done, imo.
I thought the dresses weren't too bad, but why weren't they the same?
Really, the niece's dress was nice with the rolled collar, tie in the back and buttons in the back.
Who designed the younger children's clothes? Notice, they used two different blues, one for the girls, one the boys.

Duchess of Braganza

Does anyone know why the Duchess of Braganza read one of the intentions of the common prayer, alongside with the siblings of the bride and bridegroom? Is she so close to the family? And what did she say?

The statue of the Virgin Mary above the altar is not very "good looking", probably because it is very old and was made by a primitive carver, not a great artist of the Renaissance.
The people continue to use it, even though they could afford a better statue, because of sentiment and tradition.

I have seen a similar statue here in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It is slightly smaller and more Hispanic, since it was carved for Hispanic people. The dresses on it change from season to season. Actually, a copy of the original statue is in the side-chapel of the cathedral of the Holy Faith of San Francisco of Assisi, and I think the real ancient statue is brought out for the grand parade honoring the founding of Santa Fe. It too renders the Virgin in a startling way, which must have been because a "primitive" artist made it.
I once got very sick for a few days by going in a chapel here where they have many of these old statues of saints (which are very expensive, sold to tourists) dressed in old clothes preserved with formaldehyde. I was in bed several days only conscious enough to drink orange juice now and then. I can't go in museums of "folk art" here for this reason. but that's just a physical defect of mine which does not like formaldehyde.

Last edited:
Now that the wedding of the last heir apparent is over, I wonder who will be the next to get married of the next generation of future monarchs. :)

Now that the wedding of the last heir apparent is over, I wonder who will be the next to get married of the next generation of future monarchs. :)

Beatrice?
Or perhaps Madeleine of Sweden.

Was Stephanie declared Hereditary Grand Duchess today? Has there been an announcement?

fortimo, where did you read about a party today at Berg? I suppose it is being given by MT and Henri for some of their wedding guests who are still in Luxembourg?

I am late to comment, but the wedding of Guillaume and Stephanie was probably the most beautiful, regal and moving Royal wedding I have ever watched.

The bride, the groom, the Cathedral, the liturgy and the music-heavy on Mozart!- was simply perfection.

I feel like I have eaten too much at a very sumptuous banquet. :p

ETA: BurberryBrit...the term "High Mass" is used to describe any Catholic Mass that has musical accompaniment and more than one priest concelebrating. Osipi is quite right...Guillaume and Stephanie did indeed have a Solemn High Nuptial Mass. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/High+Mass

What Katie and Imre had was called "Mass in the Extraordinary Rite" or Tridentine Mass that was celebrated before Vatican II.

Last edited:
Was Stephanie declared Hereditary Grand Duchess today? Has there been an announcement?

fortimo, where did you read about a party today at Berg? I suppose it is being given by MT and Henri for some of their wedding guests who are still in Luxembourg?

I think fortimo is referring to this article:
KRONPRINSESSE METTE-MARIT - Mette-Marit og Haakon på hemmelig nachspiel - Side2

It mentions a private party in the early morning (of 21 October) at Berg for some of the royal guests staying there :flowers:

It was a wonderful and very classy wedding. A lovely, tasteful and genuine couple and the music was a dream. The visiting royal guests also seemed very moved by the whole service. Have looked at the RTL video. I note that when the couple exchanged rings the camera only showed their hands - but it could be my imagination (!) - or noise on the video - but did they exchange a kiss? The Portuguese connection is easier to explain - a nod to the very many Portuguese living and working in Luxembourg, but also the Luxembourg RF have Portuguese blood (GD Henri's grandparents, Felix and Charlotte, were first cousins through their mothers who were daughters of the King of Portugal). However I was surprised there was no prayer in Spanish given GD Maria Teresa's background.... but hey a minor detail. The Luxemburgers really set the bar very high, well done and congrats to the couple.

Beatrice?
Or perhaps Madeleine of Sweden.
Neither Beatrice or Madeleine are future monarchs, nor Carl Philip. Prince Joseph Wenzel of Lichtenstein is the oldest, born in 1995, the rest of the future monarchs are born between 2001 and 2011, so it will most likely take at least ten years, probably even 15 or 20 years until there is a wedding of a future monarch.

I would like more information on the second witness of Guillaume, Nicholas Frankopan. His sister Paola Frankopan married Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of the Duke of Kent, and gave up rights to the British throne to become a Catholic. I wonder if this couple was at the wedding; they are unusually reclusive. There is another interesting Frankopan I found by googling, Peter. He teaches Byzantine studies at Oxford, and claims to be a Croatian prince, with part of his extended name being Polish. He wrote a article in the New York Times about the present Greek misery compared to the ravage of Constantinople by Crusaders who had run out of funds. I thought of starting a Frankopan thread to discuss Guillaume's "mystery" witness, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks AD...wow. I'm jealous! I wonder who was there?? I imagine the Royal relatives like Belgium, Lichtenstein and Norway? :whistling:

What did you think of Stephanie's dress?

Anybody knows where i can find the speech that Grand Duke Henri held during the gala dinner? Thanks:)

It was a most beautiful wedding and the flowers were especially gorgeous. I loved the orange and blue combination for the flower girls and pages. Stephanie's rich antique lace was indeed a timeless and classic and creation. However, a gown and train of that magnitude did require a proper full length sleeve. The 3/4 sleeve made it look somewhat unfinished. I was surprised at the choice of Elie Saab over a traditional European designer.

Last edited:
Neither Beatrice or Madeleine are future monarchs, nor Carl Philip. Prince Joseph Wenzel of Lichtenstein is the oldest, born in 1995, the rest of the future monarchs are born between 2001 and 2011, so it will most likely take at least ten years, probably even 15 or 20 years until there is a wedding of a future monarch.

Next year there will be the wedding of Andrea Casiraghi who has (few? many?) probabilities to become Soverign Prince of Monaco.

Next year there will be the wedding of Andrea Casiraghi who has (few? many?) probabilities to become Soverign Prince of Monaco.
Lets wait for a couple of years before deciding that the marriage of Albert and Charlene will be childless, as they have only been married for little more than a year. I wouldn't count Andrea as a future monarch until there are no hopes for Albert to have a heir of his body.

Back
Top Bottom