Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just watched the entire wedding on this website. I read much earlier in this thread is that other Royal weddings can be watched on this Danish website. Does anyone know how you find these, aside from Joachim's wedding?

Thanks for posting this link. I watched last night and enjoyed every minute. I finally was able to see Tatiana Blatnik walk into the reception!

This is clearly a case of the sketch being better than the result! I've often wondered how this dress was allowed to turn into such a disaster as it did! The top is OK, but the skirt is dated and .. hm.. 'Disneyesque'; a dress you would expect to see on Snowwhite.

HM has talked about being involved in this dress however without admitting that her judgement failed her. Poor Mary Donaldson was probably too timid to protest, if she ever felt like it.
AFAIK the designer Uffe Frank has not been commissioned for more dresses for the Danish RF.
The reason speaks for itself!
viv

This is clearly a case of the sketch being better than the result! I've often wondered how this dress was allowed to turn into such a disaster as it did! The top is OK, but the skirt is dated and .. hm.. 'Disneyesque'; a dress you would expect to see on Snowwhite.

HM has talked about being involved in this dress however without admitting that her judgement failed her. Poor Mary Donaldson was probably too timid to protest, if she ever felt like it.
AFAIK the designer Uffe Frank has not been commissioned for more dresses for the Danish RF.
The reason speaks for itself!
viv

I realize that I'm probably in the minority, however I really liked the finished version of this gown. It moved with her-- especially the train which moved with her and didn't get "caught up" and tangled when she turned around.

I realize that I'm probably in the minority, however I really liked the finished version of this gown. It moved with her-- especially the train which moved with her and didn't get "caught up" and tangled when she turned around.

I agree with you. While the sketch was beautiful, I've always loved the final result. I've heard a lot of people complaining that it's boring, but it's meant to be a simple, yet beautiful dress (at least that's what I believe was what Mary and Uffe Frank (and QMII?) envisioned) and I think it turned out to be just that. I don't think it's any more boring, bland or simple than CP Victoria's dress.

During their wedding reception, Crown Prince Frederik said to Crown Princess Mary, "Your radiance shone clearly for me from our first meeting."

Truly beautiful words!
Crown Princess Mary's radiance shows in each of her photographs. :sun:

Last edited:
I can't understand why the jordanian royal family weren't invited there :(
It is interesant that tatiana blatnik was there :) how many years were they a couple with the prince?

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Crown Princess Mary's Gown

My feelings for this gown always go back and forth. At first I loved it, and I now really dislike this gown. I'm sure those feelings will stay that way. For the elements that I love about this dress is the overall style. I really love the neckline, the skirt, the sleeves, and the waist; it was pure elegance. Her veil and bouquet were so beautiful as well. The color, the wrinkled fabric, and the train is what ruined the dress for me. Those elements were awful in my opinion. I also thought the hairstyle was too big, and the tiara was too small for her status. If the color was whiter and the dress wrinkle free, then I would have loved this dress, and it may have been one of my all time favorites.

This gown had great potential in the sketch, but finished poorly in my opinion. No doubt, one of my least favorite royal wedding gowns.

The top of the gown was good the skirt was bad. I don't think it was boring the sketch gown would have been wonderful.

I never liked this weddingdress. However the dress is not the worst part of the complete look. For me it's her hair and the placement of her veil. DREADFUL it made her look like a milkmaid. It absolutely did not enhance her looks. It made her look worse. It also put attention to her ( rather big) ears. I do not understand this, they have the best hairdressers etc.How can it be that she ended up looking lik this?

The wedding was beautiful. :)

Mary's wedding dress looked good on design. I loved the sleeves, and the skirt was very 'princess-like'. The dress looked wrinkled when created. :ermm:

It is a bit elaborate but i think as a dress it is very lovely...

Danish Royal Wedding

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of a DVD with English subtitles? I know there is a DVD titled Mary & Frederik ; The Danish Royal Wedding. I can't find it anywhere online.

I've seen the vidoes on YouTube of the wedding but I don't speak Danish.

Perhaps one of our Danish members might know of English language copies made.

However, I know DVDs were made here in Oz, hardly surprisingly, for the Australian market at the time. You could try MightyApe Australia, the online store. They may well have a copy. They seem to have copies of a lot of scarce DVDs on sale when I looked!

Last edited:
Does anyone know in which countries the wedding was broadcast live on television?

Does anyone know in which countries the wedding was broadcast live on television?

i believe it was broadcasted live only in denmark (as you would expect) but i may be wrong. the other country who would have done it would have been australia but i doubt they would have live streamed, and maybe only resorted to showing video footage during news programmes.

i believe it was broadcasted live only in denmark (as you would expect) but i may be wrong. the other country who would have done it would have been australia but i doubt they would have live streamed, and maybe only resorted to showing video footage during news programmes.

The wedding was broadcasted/streamed live in Australia (on SBS). I remember it very clearly as I watched it in its entirety.

As well as in New Zealand and South Africa.

Yes here in Australia it was live my daughter and daughter in laws were madly texting each other about Fred’s tears ..Mary that long walk etc beautiful wedding

Prince Frederik and Princess Mary celebrate their 16th wedding anniversary today.

I leave here two videos of two important moments of the wedding.

CP Frederik and CP Mary

Is there an English trsnslation of speech made by Queen Margrathe at CP Frederiks wedding

Mr. Donaldson's Speech

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Distinguished Guests, Famliy and Friends,

In the 12th Century, the marauding Vikings were driven out of Scotland after much savage fighting by a band of men led by the grandfather of the first Donald the founder of the Clan MacDonald. He would have wondered why he went so much trouble when, some 8 centuries later, we take account of today's union between the Viking Frederik and Mary of the MacDonald Clan.

For almost 4 years, my wife, Susan, and I, have watched the relationship grow to full bloom, culminating in this magnificent occasion.

Mary made a reluctant entry into the world but ever since she has eagerly embraced its offerings. Growing up under the combined influences of her mother, Henrietta, and her grandmother Mary, she has grasped every opportunity to broaden her horizons and has developed into a wonderful woman with many fine attributes. Memories abound of the bonding between Mary and her mother, the daily tours on the backseat of a bicycle around Clear Lake City when we lived in Texas, the many early, very early, car journeys down to her first loves of her life, her horses in Tasmania and the myriad communications when she moved after her graduation from the University of Tasmania to Melbourne. Henrietta would have been so happy for Mary on this her special day.

Min datter er meget smuk, tres belle, not only, as is obvious, in appearance but in many other ways including how she cares for her family and friends and the manner in which she is approaching the exciting and exacting task that lie ahead. I am the proud father of a very loving daughter.

Although fathers these days have little say in such matters, It is with great pleasure and confidence that I entrust her to the care of Frederik, an intelligent, sporting, debonair, delightful young man - what more could a father-in law ask? To Frederik, velkommen to our family. I offer a verse for your reflection from the Scottish National bard, Robert Burns.

'To make a happy fireside clime
to little ones and wife
that is the true pathos and sublime
of human life.'

Your Majesties, your Royal Highnesses, friends, please join with me in a toast to the Bride and Groom wishing them a long and happy life together.

It should read “To make a happy fireside Quine”. This is a Scottish word for Girl,

Interesting.

The word Quine - resembles the Danish work "kvinde" which means woman.
Bairn I believe is also Scottish? The word for child in Danish is "barn".
Kirk is a common place-name and also means church, right? - In Danish: "Kirke."

There must have been lots of contact across the North Sea over the centuries.

Eml

You are correct. A number of Danish words resemble and sound like real Scottish words or expressions.
I am enjoying reading back reports of events some with amusement!

Hello! Would anyone have the English translation of CP Frederik’s wedding speech. There is a YT video but the English translation is behind the Danish close caption. Thank you.

Oh my heart!
This brings to mind what CP Mary said in the engagement press conference something about how from the beginning ( and I am paraphrasing here ) how the words they exchange in their letters/emails to each other played a part in making their relationship grow. I mean after reading CP Frederik’s speech ( and also CP Mary’s at the 50th bday dinner ) I can only imagine what they wrote to each other ).

Thank you so much @Curryong! BTW, is there also a thread for non-wedding speeches - like CP Mary’s speech for CP Frederik’s 50th bday?. I will never get tired of watching the YT video of that one and now I will not get tired of reading CP Fred’s speech over and over again either.

Back
Top Bottom