Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no!!! There's no Sir John Howard!!! :lol: He's just Prime Minister Howard!

Though he would probably like one. :p

No, we don't give out titles here. And a good thing too, IMO (I think I'm a republican who like the idea of royalties... in other countries not my own!!! this probably explains why I like Mary :lol: )

You know, she's had to give up a LOT for love. a LOT. BFD if she still considers herself aussie, she is HUMAN and overnight just because she says I do, doesn't mean that she has to strip all of her identity and what makes her who she is.

Some of the Danes need to lighten up. If if was Freddy marrying into mary's family if she was the aussie royal family, they'd all be pleased as pucnh he was saying he was still danish.

She may be married to the future danish head of state but she also has a past and a sense of self that isnt' totally danish and the danes bleeting upset about it on a messageboard need to learn that she's allowed some room cosnidering she has given up everything else.

So what if she said that, she's not lying its how she feels. SHe cant' totally just say she's danish if she's only livef there a little while and has only just gotten married. royalty or not. Its a huge enough task as it is having to wave and walk behind her husband and do all those boring things like hug or shake hands with annoying people.

timtonruben359  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:41 pm

A law passed a few years back and ended the giving of titles. Those people who were awarded titles before this law came into affect can keep them.

what about the Governor Generals ?
- these illustrious personages - after all - are representatives of the Queen??

O don't worry ews, I don't think the Danes are saying that. What posters (mostly non Danes) are saying is another matter of course, but I really don't think the Danes are criticising Mary.

Actually, some of the unfair things said about her is precisely because some people think the Danish press isn't giving an objective picture of Mary (i.e. its 'she's perfect this and that').

Originally posted by ews@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:04 am
You know, she's had to give up a LOT for love. a LOT. BFD if she still considers herself aussie, she is HUMAN and overnight just because she says I do, doesn't mean that she has to strip all of her identity and what makes her who she is.

Some of the Danes need to lighten up. If if was Freddy marrying into mary's family if she was the aussie royal family, they'd all be pleased as pucnh he was saying he was still danish.

She may be married to the future danish head of state but she also has a past and a sense of self that isnt' totally danish and the danes bleeting upset about it on a messageboard need to learn that she's allowed some room cosnidering she has given up everything else.

So what if she said that, she's not lying its how she feels. SHe cant' totally just say she's danish if she's only livef there a little while and has only just gotten married. royalty or not. Its a huge enough task as it is having to wave and walk behind her husband and do all those boring things like hug or shake hands with annoying people.
Well said and I agree!! If I married a foreign royal, I couldn't forget I was an American overnight!!!

tiaraprin  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:09 am

If I married a foreign royal, I couldn't forget I was an American overnight!!!
That I find ;) is a most unusual :unsure: comment. Please explain ! :flower:

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:05 am
timtonruben359   Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:41 pm

A law passed a few years back and ended the giving of titles. Those people who were awarded titles before this law came into affect can keep them.

what about the Governor Generals ?
- these illustrious personages - after all - are representatives of the Queen??
We do have a constitutional monarchy and we still have the Queen of the UK as the head of state. The Governor General is the representative of the Queen in Australia.

But being a Governor General, well it's a position, like the Prime Ministership is a position, and doesn't mean that they were given a title. Though you're probably right in that our GG is called "Sir", I didn't know that/ or had forgotten it. But even if he is, I'm pretty sure that the "Sir" was not handed down by Australia, but through being appointed as her Majesty's representative (with consultation with the PM perhaps?).

Jasl  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:15 am

We do have a constitutional monarchy and we still have the Queen of the UK as the head of state. The Governor General is the representative of the Queen in Australia.

But being a Governor General, well it's a position, like the Prime Ministership is a position, and doesn't mean that they were given a title. Though you're probably right in that our GG is called "Sir", I didn't know that/ or had forgotten it. But even if he is, I'm pretty sure that the "Sir" was not handed down by Australia, but through being appointed as her Majesty's representative (with consultation with the PM perhaps?).
.. I ask or check, because in Canada - where it is that I live - the Governor General (since the late 1950's?) is a civilian who is accorded no special titles from England. The title thing got abolished around then too. Mr. C. Black skipped this country because he was all incensed about that. Seems his luck as Lord Black has not augured well for him ...

Serious? Yeah I imagine Prime Minister Howard might be of the same mind if he had been a "Lord" and that was stripped off him! :lol:

I really don't like highlighting the "colonial" past. I like the history etc, but not the controlled-by-another-nation thing that it involved. And can you imagine having Charles and Camilla on your coins??? I think it might just happen you know!!

Jasl  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:27 am

And can you imagine having Charles ... on your coins???
The Queen is already on canadian coins. So, there's a new one, or two, who cares ..... pass me a beer please..............

Of course Australia doesn't give out titles - it doesn't have the authority to, that would come from Elizabeth II on the advice of the Prime Minister. Betty does what's for the need, want or good of Australia / Canada / New Zealand and of course the UK.

Therein lies the point: After their first trip here you're almost guaranteed to see a massive surge in support of them and why not formalise the relationship - republicanism aside, it'd only honourary, they wouldn't inherit an estate or any of the perks they would if Denmark. Just a nice reflection upon half of the couple's heritage, and given good publicity: they can be used as guiding forces for cultural and economic trade between the two countries.

Little known fact: Denmark has one of the largest AFL leagues outside of Australia - and the Denmark national team regularly plays with the teams from the UK and Canada, and Denmark look to be one of biggest chances at the 2nd AFL International Cup.

This marraige is only just the beginning!

Originally posted by ausroyalfan@Jun 21st, 2004 - 2:35 am
Little known fact: Denmark has one of the largest AFL leagues outside of Australia - and the Denmark national team regularly plays with the teams from the UK and Canada, and Denmark look to be one of biggest chances at the 2nd AFL International Cup.

This marraige is only just the beginning!
You're not serious!!!!!!!! Wow, I would have thought that's unthinkable!!!!! But AFL is a lovely game anyway... very elegant, so that's very good (though I'm a league fan myself!).

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:46 am
Jasl   Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:27 am

And can you imagine having Charles ... on your coins???
The Queen is already on canadian coins. So, there's a new one, or two, who cares ..... pass me a beer please..............
You are too funny King Christian :lol: :flower:

Originally posted by ews@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:04 am

I can asure you EWS. the danes are quite opsitive about Mary. Offcourse I can't speak for al of us, but the general picture here in Denmark is that Mary is very, very popular indeed. :flower:

Can anyone help me in purchasing the Double Wedding DVD that also has segments on Margrethe & Henri, Benedikte & Richard, etc.? I live in the USA and need one that I can view here. I don't speak Danish nor German. HELP!

Originally posted by michelleq@Aug 5th, 2004 - 9:32 pm
Can anyone help me in purchasing the Double Wedding DVD that also has segments on Margrethe & Henri, Benedikte & Richard, etc.? I live in the USA and need one that I can view here. I don't speak Danish nor German. HELP!
The Danish DVD is in PAL only. It is all region but to see it in the USA, you must have a DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC. The DVD is in Danish. I ordered my mine from the GAD bookstore in Copenhagen (where they respond in English).

I'm not sure if these links have been posted, but here are two links, one has pictures of the visit to the Parliament Building and Gala Theatre Performance on May 13th, and the second link has pictures from May 14th, the wedding day. Looking at the pictures, it is still unbelievable at the amount of splendour and grandure this event brought out.

Pictures from May 13th, 2004, the visit to the Danish Parliament Building and the Gala Theatre Perfomance that night

Pictures from May 14th, 2004, the Wedding Ceremony and Balcony Appearances

Last edited:
The Wedding

I just re-watched parts of Frederik and Mary's wedding and it was wonderful as always. Of course the best parts are Frederik's tears right before Mary enters the church, Mary's walk up the aisle on the arm of her father, and many more.

This time around I noticed some little details that I don't remember seeing before. Right when Mary and her father turn to face Frederik, (after curtseying to the Queen), Joachim pats Frederik on the back. Also you can see Infanta Elena craning her neck to see what Mary's wedding dress looks like when Mary comes up the aisle. When the song Eternal Father Strong to Save is being sung you can see Mary wiping her eyes and then lay a hand on Frederik's leg for reassurance.

I wonder if we saw the same images? (Australia used TV2 and DR images)...

Also, when Eternal Father came on, you can see CP Victoria looking intently at the people opposite her (where Mary's relatives were seated). I think it was because Jane and Patricia were crying (like Mary - as we all know, the song was their mother's favourite).

A few moments later, you see Jane's husband passing Jane some tissues, which she uses to wipe her eyes and then... she gives it back to him! (hehe... maybe those bridesmaids dressed didn't have any pockets).

We re-watched some of the wedding a few days ago and we still love everything about it :D

On the wedding-day, we were standing right outside the church, at the other side of the street, which the Royalties were faced to when they arrived and started walking!!
So we got to see everyone, which was so cool!!! We also took some pictures, but they turned out a bit worse than we thought...it's hard in an all-waving group of people :D

Jasl said:
I wonder if we saw the same images? (Australia used TV2 and DR images)...

I just re-watched the wedding coverage from http://www.nrk.no. They used the DR wedding coverage which is the same one I watched at http://www.dr.dk live. The whole gala at the theater, arriving of guests, wedding, reception, etc., is still up at http://www.nrk.no. Prince Felipe's pre-wedding banquet and most of the wedding are still there also.

translation please?

www.nrk.no is not in english. I was wondering if someone could lead me to Prince Felipes wedding banquet video and others. pointing out step by step where to go. i'm afraid i can't read this. thank you

1.) When you open up the website http://www.nrk.no go to the column on the left side of the page. There are some tan colored blocks. Choose the one that says NETT-TV. It also has a symbol of a TV camera beside it.

2.) A blue box will show up. Wait a little bit and some choices will show up. Scroll down to the 33rd picture and click on Kongehus. For Frederik's wedding choose Kronprinsbryllup i Danmark. For Felipe's wedding choose Kronprinsbryllup i Spania. For the wedding banquet of Felipe choose Kongelig Bankett. The Kronprinsbryllup i Spania is most of the wedding. The ride through the streets, the balcony appearance, the reception, etc. are not included in Felipe's wedding coverage on this site. Frederik's wedding has everything except the cake cutting.

3.) You have to register to view these, but it's free. I've already registered so the registration form isn't showing up on mine. See if there's anyone who can help you through the registration. Why don't you see if Norwegianne who is the moderator for the Norwegian royal board can help you through the registration process.

Thanks for posting that samitude :) We could register easily(we understand Norweigian), but think we'll wait a bit! But it's great that they're still up, Denmark's TV has taken many of their things down a long while ago!

DKgirls, if you can register easily could you let Mashed Potatoes know how to register? I registered fine, but since I have already logged in the registration form won't come up for me anymore to tell others how to register.

register to nrk.no site?

thank you. can somebody show me...guide me through registratio of the www.nrk.no site? i'd like to view videos from the crown princely weddings of this year. many thanks :)

Sure, we can help you out!!!! If you can, can you then send us a Private Message and we can figure it out there?? (for some reason we can't send you one!)

kate14 said:
Thanks for the link, Jasl.

Mary need to be very Careful when she speaks to "strangers". You could be sure they will be all to easger to blad to the Press. Telling "Stewart" (I guessing that his name) that she will 'al-ways consider herself Australian' might not sit well with the Danes . They have embrassed her as one of their own.

IMHO and my Danish friends, we like Mary. Their opinion Mary is a great addition to the Royal Family.

I hope that quote does not come back to haunt her.

It is really no diffrenet then the Crown Prince stating that "American's were lazy" :(

Back
Top Bottom