Princess Marie Esmeralda of Belgium,Lady Moncada and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexandra was born on 4 August 1998, four months after her parents' wedding; her brother was born three years later, on 21 May 2001.

If I remember correctly, Prince Alexandre told his mother and his family about his marriage to Léa exactly on Princess Esmeralda's weddding.

Alexandra was born on 4 August 1998, four months after her parents' wedding; her brother was born three years later, on 21 May 2001.

If I remember correctly, Prince Alexandre told his mother and his family about his marriage to Léa exactly on Princess Esmeralda's weddding.

I thought that Prince Alexandre NEVER told his mother about his marriage.

He told her several years later and according to the press she wasn't pleased with it. Neither was king Baudouin as Léa Wolman was divorced twice. Still, in 1998, 7 years after their marriage, Alexander and Léa celebrated it, and princess Lilian attended (as was king Albert II and queen Paola). So in that light I am not so sure if she was that much against it anymore.

Wow I get alot better vibe from this Lady then I did of her sister.

Brent R. von Behrens II

This picture was not taken from a few months ago. She has a very happy normal life .
Do you speak about Princess Marie-Christine ? She decided never to see her family again. Did not attend her Father, Mother and Brother’s funerals. For Prince Alexandre only flowers with her second surname Daphné. She has no Children.

Yes i speak about her sister Marie-Christine ( Im sorry but like i said in Marie-Christine's thread I will not call her a Princess or a Lady even though she was born one because I dont believe she acts like a Princess or a Lady so i will not call her either ) .

Brent R. von Behrens II

Yesterday (October 17), Princess Esmeralda presented a book dedicated to her grandparents, called "Albert and Elisabeth". Tonight at eight o'clock, the TV channel RTL dedicated a programme to it.

Princess Esmeralda was born in Laeken, Belgium and is the sixth child of King Leopold III and Lilian, Princess of Réthy. After King Baudouin's marriage to Queen Fabiola in 1960, Princess Esmeralda and the rest of the BRF moved to Argenteuil Castle, which Princess Esmeralda's mother used to host other royals, politicians and friends, as well as leading scientists and researchers. As a young woman, Princess Esmeralda would accompany her father to different parts of the world, before becoming a graduate in journalism and working for French magazines for many years.

Princess Esmeralda married Sir Salvador Moncada in 1998, a renowned scientist who was granted a knighthood by Elizabeth II. The couple have two children, Alexandra and Leopoldo, who were born in 1998 and 2001 respectively.

Since her wedding, Princess Esmeralda has been researching the numerous photo archives belonging to her father, King Leopold.

Source: Esmeralda de Belgique présente un livre-album sur ses grands-parents e roi Albert I et la reine Elisabeth

Noblesse & Royautes also interviewed Princess Esmeralda on the occasion of the publication of her book, "Albert and Elisabeth".

I (Interviewer): Madam, how did the idea for this project album of family photos of your grandparents King Albert and Queen Elizabeth?

PE (Princess Esmeralda): On the occasion of the centenary of the First World War, I wanted to present an intimate portrait of staff and my grandparents through family records, private correspondence and unpublished documents.

I: Can you detail the outline of this album? Where do all these photographic archives come from?

PE: Ten chapters trace the important moments of the life of Albert I and Elizabeth both as sovereign but especially in their private and family atmosphere. Christophe Vachaudez who handled the illustrations of the book, found pictures quite unusual in private collections in Belgium and elsewhere in Europe and of course the Royal Archives.

I: You are the initiator of previous works that helped including the general public to discover the facet ignored for too long voyages of exploration of your father King Leopold III. Did you approach the completion of this work another way?

PE: I wanted myself to explore the personality of my grandparents and learn more. I did not know my grandfather and I was only nine years old when my grandmother died. So it was really exciting for me to do this research and write this book.

I: What are your memories of Queen Elizabeth?

PE: I remember an old lady dressed in white, very elegant, which offered me books.

I: In the interview he gave to Pascal Vrebos, His Majesty King Albert II speaks with great fondness the memories of your grandmother Queen Elizabeth. Have you had an opportunity to discuss the book with him?

PE: I spoke to King Albert of the book and also the documentary on our grandparents that will air in November on RTBF, especially in the letters of our grandmother, she always speaks with great affection of "little Albert" as she called him.

Source: Entretien avec la princesse Esmeralda de Belgique

Some more information about Princess Esmeralda's new book.

It was published by Racine if I have understood the translation correctly, and to write the book, Princess Esmeralda has collaborated with Christopher Vachaudez, who is the author of several royal books, including the successful "The Jewels of the Queens and Princesses of Belgium". The book is one hundred and ninety two pages long, and includes many anecdotes as well as unseen photos of the BRF at that time.

The book mentions that King Albert enjoyed sport and often went to his aunt's castle in Groenedael to ride his bike. Empress Charlotte of Mexico also liked to climb the mountains in Europe. During WWI, Queen Elisabeth devoted her life to helping the wounded soldiers. Her father, Duke Carl Theodor of Bavaria, was a famous eye surgeon and had operated on many Bavarian soldiers. Queen Elisabeth also loved to paint and draw, and was the first ever Queen to visit Tutankhamen's tomb in Egypt. She also enjoyed bathing in the ponds at Laeken and practised yoga, up until she was eighty, at which she could still do handstands.

Some photos from the book:

One ~ Two ~ Three ~ Four

Source: http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/2014/10/livre-album-albert-elisabeth/

Albert & Elisabeth | Terra Lannoo
On this site you can download a small excerpt from the book to pdf, wirpth some more pictures (click the grey bar "dit boek inkijken" under the image of the bookcover)
Looks like a lovely book about an extraordinary couple :flowers:

They were indeed an extraordinary couple. Another very interesting reading on them is the book written in 1971 by their daughter Maria José (the Queen of Italy), in French its title is "Albert et Elisabeth de Belgique, mes parents", while in Italian is "Giovinezza di una regina"; I don't know if it has been translated also in other languages. It was by reading that book that my interest in the Belgian RF begun.

Albert & Elisabeth | Terra Lannoo
On this site you can download a small excerpt from the book to pdf, wirpth some more pictures (click the grey bar "dit boek inkijken" under the image of the bookcover)

Thanks a lot for sharing the link, Lee-Z. :flowers: I read the extract and it does seem like a good book. Unfortunately, I can't speak Dutch so was unable to read the PDF, but did look at the photos. I'm starting to become more interested in the Belgian RF and would like to learn more about their history. It would be wonderful if we could get an English translation of the book.

Albert and Elisabeth aside, I was wondering if there has been anymore recent news about Princess Esmeralda and her family. I understand that she's a rather private person, but there hasn't been any for a while now. I was looking through the older pages of this thread and it was nice to see the photos of her children. Do we know if the family are still living in London or if they live elsewhere now?

MAfan ,
A few years ago we had a great exhibition about Queen Marie José glittering dresses designed by King Humberto for the glory of the House of Savoie.
We were told that Princess Marie José hated her wedding dress and she broke accidentally one leave of it and it is therefore that her wedding veil was put in a way to hid her Arms.

We also asked our guide who was the Curator of the Exhibition why Queen Elisabeth who was a modern Queen allowed this wedding knowing that her daughter would be unhappy.

As honorary president of the Belgian Federation of Health Qigong, Princess Esmeralda of Belgium is currently in China and visited the Qigong Medical Hospital of Beidaihe. Qigong is one of the five branches of traditional Chinese herbal medicine. This year in Brussels, there were festivals to celebrate the forty years of cultural exchange between China and the EU:

Esmeralda de Belgique, présidente d’honneur de la fédération belge de Qigong

Princess Esmeralda looks great - it's nice to see her take part in an event abroad as she's rarely seen in public in her home country.

Princess Esmeralda attended the premiere of the documentary ''Crossover China-EU'' at the EU headquarters in Brussels yesterday, September 15:

** Pic **

Princess Marie-Esméralda of Belgium, Lady Moncada is interviewed in this moths Majesty Magazine where she talks about her grandfather King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth.The Princess has recently written a book about Albert and Elisabeth of Belgium.

All what Princess Maria Esmeralda knows is what her Father told her about his parents.
A lot of Events such as the Count of Flanders Regency who saved the Monarchy in Belgium is totally forgotten.

Queen Elisabeth did not see her Son Charles from 1940 until 1945 !

Princess Esmeralda gave an interview to the programme 'Royalty' of VTM. Jo de Poorter went to the London appartment to interview the princess about her mother the princess de Rethy. Princess Esmeralda said that her mother 'was not an easy one'. And: 'She was severe, but life has made her so. She has been treated unfairly'.

Prinses Esmeralda: "Mijn moeder was geen gemakkelijke" - HLN.be

Last edited:
We will see her a lot . At the end of the year she pubishes new books (Christmas gifts!) Her new one is "Lilian and the King" if I am not wrong.

Princess Marie-Esméralda of Belgium, Lady Moncada is interviewed in this moths Majesty Magazine where she talks about her grandfather King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth.The Princess has recently written a book about Albert and Elisabeth of Belgium.

Thank you An Ard Ri ,I would very much like to read the book Princess Esme has written about her grandparents:).

Last edited:
Yesterday I attend an Event , the Guest was Princess Esmeralda who spoke about her book concerning Women who got the Peace Nobel Price in Oslo.

The Princess is a really charming Person , a lovely Lady , an excellent Journalist and Orator.
She is King Leopold III's daughter and King Albert I granddaughter

Her husband Mr Salvador Moncada was there too.
I had such an interesting conversation with him. He is a brillant scientist and is Knight Bachelor for is work. . His name now is Sir Salvador.

They are living in London not far from Regent Park on a 200 years old house with a wonderful garden. Their daughter Alexandra is in a boarding School and their son Leopoldo , a teenager goes to a british school and is leaving with his parents.

A great Evening !

Last edited:
:previous:Thanks for sharing with us. The Princess actually looks very polite and lovely lady. I did not know that lives in London.

Yesterday I attend an Event , the Guest was Princess Esmeralda who spoke about her book concerning Women who got the Peace Nobel Price in Oslo.

The Princess is a really charming Person , a lovely Lady , an excellent Journalist and Orator.
She is King Leopold III's daughter and King Albert I granddaughter

Her husband Mr Salvador Moncada was there too.
I had such an interesting conversation with him. He is a brillant scientist and is Knight Bachelor for is work. . His name now is Sir Salvador.

They are living in London not far from Regent Park on a 200 years old house with a wonderful garden. Their daughter Alexandra is in a boarding School and their son Leopoldo , a teenager goes to a british school and is leaving with his parents.

A great Evening !

I did not know that she lived in London.I like to see photos of the house. :flowers:

Princess Marie Esmeralda is born in 1956 .
During his many travels , King Leopold III saw a wonderful landscape. He asked the name of , the aswer was Esmeralda. The king said if I have a daughter I will give her the surname Esmeralda.

For the 18th Birthday of her sister Princess Marie Christine, her parents hosted a great party at their Castle of Argenteuil. We could see the Great Silver Service of Odiot who belonged to the Count of Flanders. This silver service is sold.
They did not for Marie Esmeralda in 1974, but she had the then frontpage of Point de vue.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Princess Esmeralda as President of the King Léopold III Fund for Nature Exploration and Conservation,visited Brazil on July 3-7
She was accompanied by Mr. Jozef Smets, the Belgian Ambassador to Brazil.
On July 4th,Esmeralda inaugurated a bust of Queen Elizabeth, her paternal grandmother, in the gardens of the Belgian Embassy in Brasilia.
The bust is dedicated to the visit of King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth to Brazil in 1920.
July 5th.Meeting with Marcelo Miranda, Governor of the State of Tocantins.The meeting took place in Palamas.
Meeting with the indigenous people of Xerente(in the village of Poteira)
Esmeralda's father,King Leopold III, visited them during his Brazilian expedition in 60s.
In the evening,the Princess went to a reception hosted by Claudia Lelis, Vice-Governor of the State of Tocantis at Palace Araguaína.
July 6th
The Princess visited the social dance project "Kritzelei" in São Sebastião, in the state of São Paulo.The project's target audience - girls from 9 to 18 years. Belgian dancer Dorka Hepp is also involved in this project.
Then she opened the exhibiton "Travel diaries. Photos of King Leopold III in Brazil (1964)". This exhibition features photographs taken by King Leopold III during his trip to Brazil in 1964.

July 7th
Pannel meeting entitled "Prêmio Mulheres Nobel da Paz" at the residence of the Belgian ambasssador.
The Princess visited this meeting as an author of the book "Women Nobel Peace Prize".
The book was published in 2014.

You can find some photos here Esmeralda de Belgique au Brésil - Noblesse & Royautés

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom