Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill, Current Events 1: December 2012 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a bad impression from Chris when he flipped the finger last November at photographers. That showed being bad tempered and not being ready to be in the spotlight, or not even caring how he came across to the Swedish people. Granted, he could've been having a bad day, but that was not a wise move.

I hope Madeleine isn't making a bad choice again. Supposedly, she and Jonas had a rocky relationship and they only got engaged just to save the relationship, which is not a good idea. A previous boyfriend was said to be a jerk. I think he was the one who groped her in a London park.

And I agree that Madeleine should've married in NYC. It's not right for Swedish taxpayers to pay for her wedding when she hardly spends any time there, or does any sort of work for Sweden. She does come across like a kept woman, living off taxpayers while shopping and partying without a care in the world. Her WCF "work" seems more like a PR stunt to me. Not to be cynical, but she comes across as aimless to me.

I agree with Lucien, Sonjapearl and Vee. All have echoed my own thoughts about Chris and Madeleine. And just to put my 2 cents in, him not singing the national anthem yesterday was terrible. He's had a "few" months to learn it or learn how to fake it. No excuses. I believe in fact that his Swedish vocabulary will never progress beyond a few short sentences. I do however love seeing all the great dresses the ladies are wearing to this wedding.

So when you go to other countries, you sing their national anthem?

I don't. And I don't know any Americans that do either.

But out of respect for your fiancee's country, and her family which happens to be it's royal family, wouldn't you? For many, it means embracing your future spouse's country and heritage.

But out of respect for your fiancee's country, and her family which happens to be it's royal family, wouldn't you? For many, it means embracing your future spouse's country and heritage.

Why should he "embrace her country"? She has decided not to live there, she has decided to, in effect, take on the American life with some Swedish charitable work in the US.

She isn't embracing it, it seems to me.

I feel for him. He doesnt seem to enjoy all the hoopla (good for him); he's going through it because she's a princess but he isnt interested in being part of that. He isnt after her status or money - he wants to be with her. Its the marriage he wants, not the wedding stuff.

I don't think anyone can say Chris is an unhappy person just because he doesn't smile.

Chris was smiling and looked happy yesterday. Lets be real he is having to go from having a private life to having press follow and take pictures of him that can't be easy

Taken from my previous post:

"Since the first pics of them started to pop up after the announcement of their engagement, one thing I've noticed about him is that he doesn't seem to be a happy person. He HARDLY EVER smiles in ANY pic I've seen of him, so far."

Sorry, but I don't believe what I said indicated that I thought Chris IS an unhappy person. What I said --- to me, at least --- boils down to: Since their pictures have popped up since their engagement announcement, he hardly ever smiles, therefore he SEEMS to be unhappy, to me.

That was, and is, my observation and opinion.

As for Chris smiling and looking happy yesterday . . .

Sure, I've seen one or two pictures of Chris smiling and looking relaxed and happy since his engagement announcement, and I acknowledged that, too, in my post:

"If he's as shy/unhappy about getting married as 95% (at least) of his pics with and WITHOUT Maddie indicate, to me . . ."

I didn't say 100% of his pics. MOST of them are what I meant, and that's what I thought I said by indicating 95%.

And yes, I do think I am and can be real . . .

Sure:

" . . . he is having to go from having a private life to having press follow and take pictures of him that can't be easy."

No, it CAN'T be easy, and no reasonable person would ever think that it would be, I believe.

But to me, the OTHER side of that coin is that Chris is a grown man. He KNEW before he proposed that he wasn't going to be marrying Jane from across the street that he'd known since they were both still in high chairs.

It's the same difference as a reality TV show cast member complaining about the paps, etc., after their show has aired. THEY were the ones who decided to jump into that particular pool, knowing full well before they did so that the water might possibly be ice-cold before they jumped in.

So, whose fault IS it when they DO jump in and find that the water's 35/40 degrees, or even colder?

Let's not forget that Chris is pretty much new to the royal scene. He and Madeleine didn't date for years so he could get a good feel of what life would be like in this new world he's about to enter.

I think everyone should get a chance to know him, instead of judging him right away.

I haven't forgotten.

See my statement, above, that begins with: "No, it CAN'T be easy . . .".

Then, see the paragraph that follows it, which begins with: "But, to me, the OTHER side of that coin . . .".

And --- just an observation ---if he and Maddie didn't date for years so he could get a good feel of what life would be like in this new world he's about to enter, seems to me as though he might be able to have been adjusted to it a bit better than he appears to be, at present.

Regarding: "I think everyone should get a chance to know him, instead of judging him right away."

See my paragraph, above, that begins with:

"It's the same difference . . .".

Just like reality TV stars (which I don't think very many of us know personally, either), nobody told Chris to jump into the Swedish Royal Family pool. By deciding to do so, he put himself out there TO be "judged", if you will. OR have people freely express their opinions regarding how he comes across to or is perceived to be by them.

To me, this is much the same way in which we remark about a royal's outfit: "Yes! I LIKE THAT!", or "My GOD! What she/he had on was HIDEOUS!"

Are we to be judged as "judging" them when we remark on an outfit being worn by one of them that may not be to our taste, and we state that?

I got a bad impression from Chris when he flipped the finger last November at photographers. That showed being bad tempered and not being ready to be in the spotlight, or not even caring how he came across to the Swedish people. Granted, he could've been having a bad day, but that was not a wise move.

I addressed THIS in my post, as well:

"God KNOWS, he has no problem shooting a bird when he seems to be feeling beleaguered and set upon.

Which, to me, smacks of childishness.

I can understand shyness.

But give me a BREAK!"

This, coupled with the constant stream of pictures in which he looks so grim/unhappy, most times, is why my take on him is what it is.

One of the great things about a major royal event is that all sorts of experts and people voice their opinion.

Yes, Muhler, they do.

And that's what makes life --- AND this board --- so lively and grand!

Last edited:
Why should he "embrace her country"? She has decided not to live there, she has decided to, in effect, take on the American life with some Swedish charitable work in the US.

She isn't embracing it, it seems to me.

I feel for him. He doesnt seem to enjoy all the hoopla (good for him); he's going through it because she's a princess but he isnt interested in being part of that. He isnt after her status or money - he wants to be with her. Its the marriage he wants, not the wedding stuff.

I'm sure you would have to admit it was rude and disrespectful of Chris not to sing the Swedish national anthem, not just to her family, but the whole country. He is marrying their princess - and it doesn't matter to Swedes if she doesn't care for her role anymore. She is living off their taxes and this wedding is being funded by their taxes. He can't show a little respect to the Swedish people by at least learning a little of their language? A few minutes of singing the anthem wouldn't have hurt much.

She's a princess from a country that actually has a monarchy - whether he, or even she, like it or not. Neither seem to care about the responsibility of that (ie, she lives off of taxpayer money). That is disrespectful.

I'll also add that by not singing the anthem, Chris was basically insulting his soon to be father-in-law. Carl Gustaf is a King, a figurehead of a nation. His job is to be the face of Sweden. And Chris refuses to honor that. Not good at all. I really would like to know what the King thinks of this.

Last edited:

In the UK, I would sing "God Save the Queen." And then my father would shoot me. ;)

I'm sure you would have to admit it was rude and disrespectful of Chris not to sing the Swedish national anthem, not just to her family, but the whole country. He is marrying their princess - and it doesn't matter to Swedes if she doesn't care for her role anymore. She is living off their taxes and this wedding is being funded by their taxes. He can't show a little respect to the Swedish people by at least learning a little of their language? A few minutes of singing the anthem wouldn't have hurt much.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that she is only funded by the tax payer when undertaking official engagements on behalf of Sweden, and that her father was paying for her wedding.
As for the national anthems not a biggie for me. My sister is currently married to an American and living in the US. While she does stand for the US national anthem she does not sing it or place her hand over her heart. As she says she is not an American citizen and it is not her anthem. Her husband stands during God Save The Queen when in the Uk but he does not sing it because he is not a UK citizen. Neither seems to find it disprespectful to the others country. And yes, I know neither is a prince or a princess but the principle remains.
Seems, as is so often the case, that people are going out of their way to find something to be offended about.

In the UK, I would sing "God Save the Queen." And then my father would shoot me. ;)

:lol: literally. I love the Us national anthem, and find it really moving but I dont sing it and I'm there a lot.

It isnt just another song its about saying that you love your country and agree with what it stands for. So no, Chris shouldn't have to sing it.

I do think Chris has taken things too far in some instances; there is, after all, a difference between refusing to pander to the public, (a good thing), and not making any effort whatsoever. A couple of times I've gotten the impression that he's going out of his way to make sure people realize how negatively he sees the royal and public aspect of Madeleine's life.

IMO, if you agree to participate in something like a big royal wedding then you have an obligation to fake some enthusiasm for the whole thing.

That being said, he doesn't really matter, does he? If he was Victoria's future husband his attitude would be more concerning, but after the wedding tomorrow, IMO, Madeleine's days as a Swedish princess are essentially over. She and Chris will go back to their real lives as independently wealthy ex-pats in NY and I anticipate that Chris, especially, will very rarely be seen in Sweden.

The bride and groom and the guests of honour will travel onboard S/S Stockholm tomorrow from Riddarholmen to Drottningholm Palace.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/Stromma-Kanalbolaget/Vara-fartyg/SS-Stockholm/

The other guests will be travelling onboard M/S Gustafsberg VII and M/S Waxholm III

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/Stromma-Kanalbolaget/Vara-fartyg/MS-Waxholm-III/

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Skargard/Stromma-Kanalbolaget/Vara-fartyg/MS-Gustafsberg-VII/

I have traveled onboard all 3 in the Stockholm Archipelago where they are operating normally. They are very and comfortable boats.

You could always tell him you were singing "My Country Tis Of Thee". Same tune, different lyrics. ;)

One thing is very obvious with this marriage. They want to be married to each other. This is what counts. Chris is an American. Madeleine is a Swedish princess. Of course she wants to be married in Sweden and have her father give her away. Chris feels uncomfortable singing the Swedish national anthem but as far as I know, he's not requested to have the US anthem also played (such as they do with sports teams from different countries). Perhaps he'll show his respects to Madeleine's parents but I can understand him not voicing (singing) a national anthem of somewhere he isn't actually involved with nor wants to be involved with. Maybe to him it would be hypocritical to do so. He doesn't want the royal life nor the royal trappings nor the fame and fortune that might come from that. To me, this kind of shows integrity and also shows me that he's marrying Madeleine because of who she is and not because of what she is.

Perhaps her relationship with Jonas was an intense, passionate one. Its not unusual for a grand passion to lose its flame and slowly die out. Perhaps in Chris she's found a relationship that fits on many other levels besides a grand passion. Only time will tell and I do wish the both of them health and happiness and that their troubles will all be little ones with the 2 am feedings, dirty diapers and sweet faces.

That being said, he doesn't really matter, does he? If he was Victoria's future husband his attitude would be more concerning, but after the wedding tomorrow, IMO, Madeleine's days as a Swedish princess are essentially over. She and Chris will go back to their real lives as independently wealthy ex-pats in NY and I anticipate that Chris, especially, will very rarely be seen in Sweden.

I just remembered Madeleine once said she hoped to one day live a simple, normal life. I think she said that during her 18th birthday interview.

Well, if that's the case, so be it. But I agree that faking a little enthusiasm wouldn't hurt.

Is the King really funding all of this? Even the security? I would think some tax money will be helping a bit.

Thank you Osipi! One of the best posts concerning M and Cs relationship ever IMO. Frankly I have never before read so many negative remarks about a Royal Wedding. Especially not about the groom. sigh

It was not Jonas that grouped Madeleine's breast back 2001 in London, it was Erik Granath.

I wish them the best ! all the happiness in the world! and I imagine Jonas was crying in a corner!!! hahaha! I am happy she fund love and had a beautiful wedding after the the sadness of the relation with jonas

I wish them the best ! all the happiness in the world! and I imagine Jonas was crying in a corner!!! hahaha! I am happy she fund love and had a beautiful wedding after the the sadness of the relation with jonas

Jonas has also found a new love, he and Stephanie are getting married in August.

Thank you Osipi! One of the best posts concerning M and Cs relationship ever IMO. Frankly I have never before read so many negative remarks about a Royal Wedding. Especially not about the groom. sigh

I agree with you Kit,it's a nice post from Osipi.
I am not a fan of Madeleine although I always thought she is one of the most beautiful princess around.All the negativity towards her couple and wedding is nauseating.
As for Christopher not singing the swedish national anthem why not having him or the swedish royal family singing La Marseillaise since the Bernadotte are of french descent :p
It's nice that he didn't renounce his british and american citizenship.The fact that he decided to stay in NY with Madeleine shows that he is willing to gain his own living.
Anyway,if both decided to stay in Sweden,they would have also been criticised for not working and living thanks to public taxes.

I agree with you Kit,it's a nice post from Osipi.
I am not a fan of Madeleine although I always thought she is one of the most beautiful princess around.All the negativity towards her couple and wedding is nauseating.
As for Christopher not singing the swedish national anthem why not having him or the swedish royal family singing La Marseillaise since the Bernadotte are of french descent :p
It's nice that he didn't renounce his british and american citizenship.The fact that he decided to stay in NY with Madeleine shows that he is willing to gain his own living.
Anyway,if both decided to stay in Sweden,they would have also been criticised for not working and living thanks to public taxes.

I absolutely agree with you ;)

Any news of where they are now???

No, the swedish tabloids tell that they haven't been seen anywhere out in Stockholm. And no one knows if they have left to their honeymoon yet.

If I may ask, someone had stated that if and when the happy couple decide to have children, the children will not be royal, is this a correct statement and if so is there a thread for this discussion? Im curious as to why children would not hold a title at all.

If I may ask, someone had stated that if and when the happy couple decide to have children, the children will not be royal, is this a correct statement and if so is there a thread for this discussion? Im curious as to why children would not hold a title at all.

Svensk Damtidning has asked from the king's solicitor Axel Calissendorff will Madeleine's children be princes/princesses, he couldn't answer to that question. The king decides about the titles.

Is the King really funding all of this? Even the security? I would think some tax money will be helping a bit.

I remember hearing that the costs for the police and military would be covered by the state and the person interviewed likened it to how taxpayers shoulder the cost of the police for events like major football matches.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that she is only funded by the tax payer when undertaking official engagements on behalf of Sweden, and that her father was paying for her wedding.
As for the national anthems not a biggie for me. My sister is currently married to an American and living in the US. While she does stand for the US national anthem she does not sing it or place her hand over her heart. As she says she is not an American citizen and it is not her anthem. Her husband stands during God Save The Queen when in the Uk but he does not sing it because he is not a UK citizen. Neither seems to find it disprespectful to the others country. And yes, I know neither is a prince or a princess but the principle remains.
Seems, as is so often the case, that people are going out of their way to find something to be offended about.

I agree that it would be enough to show respect for the national anthem by standing still while it's played/sung. I didn't even note that Chris didn't sing along because I didn't expect him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom