It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the new parents. :swedenflag2:

I am a follower of the Danish and British royal families but have a good knowledge of the Swedish family too.

My question is: surely the questions of title, citizenship etc must have been sorted out over the past months. Why does the press office seem so unsure of things? Is the problem that the country of birth is not Sweden or is it that Mr O'Neill is not a "working" member of the royal house?

Great news! Congratulations to Madde and Chris! So it seems to be a natural birth right?
And if the time is local it means that she gave birth just a couple of hours ago! So cute! <3
Can't wait for more detailes such as weight, name etc

Congratulations to the new parents. :swedenflag2:

I am a follower of the Danish and British royal families but have a good knowledge of the Swedish family too.

My question is: surely the questions of title, citizenship etc must have been sorted out over the past months. Why does the press office seem so unsure of things? Is the problem that the country of birth is not Sweden or is it that Mr O'Neill is not a "working" member of the royal house?

About the citizenship, that Chris isn't an official member of the royal house, doesn't matter. But there are many things to be considered regarding the girl's place in the Order of Succession.
And Madeleine can be counted to have a diplomatic status. If she is counted as a diplomat, there are/has been regulations about the children born to diplomats in USA. Chris doesn't have that status and he has dual citizenship, both American and British.
Does some of our American members know better about the citizenship concerning diplomat's children born in USA?

Chris will meet the media at 12.00 local time at the hospital.
Mr Christopher O'Neill will meet with media - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
She is automatically a U.S. citizen, and I can't imagine she is not entitled or automatically a Swedish citizen.

Congratulations!!

About the citizenship, that Chris isn't an official member of the royal house, doesn't matter. But there are many things to be considered regarding the girl's place in the Order of Succession.
And Madeleine can be counted to have a diplomatic status. If she is counted as a diplomat, there are/has been regulations about the children born to diplomats in USA. Chris doesn't have that status and he has dual citizenship, both American and British.
Does some of our American members know better about the citizenship concerning diplomat's children born in USA?

Chris will meet the media at 12.00 local time at the hospital.
Mr Christopher O'Neill will meet with media - Sveriges Kungahus

I have just looked up your question on U.S. citizenship, as I have never heard of the foreign diplomat exclusion. We Americans are under the assumption that if you happen to be born here, for whatever reason, you're a citizen. It's true that children of illegal immigrants are citizens if born here.

From a cursory search, it appears that this might be true in theory, and might have been the original intent of our citizenship provisions - but not in practice. In other words, the practice could come under challenge, but I doubt it would be nixed.

I'm quoting from a private site: "According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a 'birth certificate provides proof of citizenship.' The agency is careful to note that it '[does] not issue any kind of citizenship document to a person who is a citizen by birth in the United States.'"

Having filled out birth certificates, it's true that parents citizenship status or residence status is not asked. So I would say once the birth certificate is registered, unless challenged, this baby will henceforth be considered a citizen. And I doubt anyone would challenge it, except maybe the Swedish court if they want to ensure no issues to her being in the line of succession.

Edit: If Chris is a U.S. citizen, I'm virtually certain that the baby is a citizen, despite a mother here on diplomat status. So my comment on Madde was moot.

Last edited:
Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson said at Aftonbladet's live-TV, that this birth isn't as important as Estelle's birth. Then the future queen of Sweden was born. The birth of Madeleine's daughter is more like a celebrity birth. The paparazzis are following Madeleine. But Alexandersson is very happy for Madeleine, she has now got the child she has wanted for a long time.

I do like a princess Josephine of sweden , but ther is a princess Josephine of denmark so i doubt it

I have just looked up your question on U.S. citizenship, as I have never heard of the foreign diplomat exclusion. We Americans are under the assumption that if you happen to be born here, for whatever reason, you're a citizen. It's true that children of illegal immigrants are citizens if born here.

From a cursory search, it appears that this might be true in theory, and might have been the original intent of our citizenship provisions - but not in practice. In other words, the practice could come under challenge, but I doubt it would be nixed.

I'm quoting from a private site: "According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a 'birth certificate provides proof of citizenship.' The agency is careful to note that it '[does] not issue any kind of citizenship document to a person who is a citizen by birth in the United States.'"

Having filled out birth certificates, it's true that parents citizenship status or residence status is not asked. So I would say once the birth certificate is registered, unless challenged, this baby will henceforth be considered a citizen. And I doubt anyone would challenge it, except maybe the Swedish court if they want to ensure no issues to her being in the line of succession.

Edit: If Chris is a U.S. citizen, I'm virtually certain that the baby is a citizen, despite a mother here on diplomat status. So my comment on Madde was moot.

This is an interesting issue.
"A person born in the United States to a foreign diplomatic officer accredited to the United States is not subject to the jurisdiction of United States law. Therefore, that person cannot be considered a U.S. citizen at birth under the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution. This person may, however, be considered a permanent resident at birth and able to receive a green card through creation of record."
Green Card for a Person Born in the United States to a Foreign Diplomat | USCIS

How lovely, congratulations to Madeleine and Christopher with their little Princess :flowers:

Exciting, hopefully I can watch it live from where I live or over the internet!

Congratulations to HRH Princess Madeleine and Mr.Christopher O'Neill on the birth of their daughter!

The Statement of Witness

The form of witness affirmation applied at Princess Madeleine given birth differs from the traditional witness confirmation. The deviation is justified by that the birth has taken place in New York.
Two doctors practicing at New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York, United States, shall in a certificate address to HM the King, that they were present at birth and confirm that the newborn is Princess Madeleine's daughter.
Vittnesbekräftelsen - Sveriges Kungahus

Congratulations to the couple, and their families.

Not that it matters, but is it 40 weeks since Madeleine and Chris married?

Congratulations to the couple, and their families.

Not that it matters, but is it 40 weeks since Madeleine and Chris married?

No it isn´t. Madeleine was pregnant at her wedding but she probably didn´t know .
According to BUNTE the royal court has confirmed it was a natural birth

I wonder if the little girl has got the beautiful face of her mother.

We may all be in for a surprise. The King has 4 sisters and none of their children are princes or princesses of Sweden.
Princess Margaretha married Mr John Ambler; their children do not have titles (Except Sibylla who is a Baroness by marriage)
Princess Birgitta married Prince Johann Georg von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and their children carry only his title.
Princess Desirée married Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and their children carry his title.
Princess Christina married Mr Tord Gösta Magnuson and their children have no titles.

I know times change but I would not be surprised if the baby will 'just' be Baby O'Neill. Madeleine is Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland - maybe the baby will be a countess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Maybe our Swedish friends have more insight knowledge about this. :)

We may all be in for a surprise. The King has 4 sisters and none of their children are princes or princesses of Sweden.
Princess Margaretha married Mr John Ambler; their children do not have titles (Except Sibylla who is a Baroness by marriage)
Princess Birgitta married Prince Johann Georg von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and their children carry only his title.
Princess Desirée married Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and their children carry his title.
Princess Christina married Mr Tord Gösta Magnuson and their children have no titles.

I know times change but I would not be surprised if the baby will 'just' be Baby O'Neill. Madeleine is Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland - maybe the baby will be a countess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Maybe our Swedish friends have more insight knowledge about this. :)

But like the swedish royal experts have pointed out, Madeleine and the king's sisters can't be compared, because the king's sisters weren't at the Order of Succession, Madeleine is. The king's sisters, except Birgitta, lost their HRH's and "Princess of Sweden" -titles when they got married. So of course their children can't be princes or princesses of Sweden. And Birgitta's and Desiree's children got titles via their father. Madeleine is still HRH and Princess of Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom