The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,499
This confirms his attitude as I suspect it.

He is his own man, but respects his wife's position and her responsibilities in Switzerland and will do his best to support her.

He never intended to live in Sweden.

He is a little troubled by the adverse publicity but doesn't really care about tabloid opinion.

There is NO issue with the SRF.

He is a very decent guy.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,788
Thank you, LadyFinn

The essential reason why they don't settle in Sweden makes perfect sense from a family perspective as summarized here: Prinsesse Madeleines mand taler ud: Derfor kan vi ikke bo i Sverige alligevel - Royale | www.bt.dk

I like that he has realized that he is a public figure whether he likes it or not and that he in hindsight should have been less reserved in regards to the press. That indicates a man who has and can learn and that is never a bad thing.
I think this interview will (deservedly) improve certainly Chris' reputation among the Swedes.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you, LadyFinn

The essential reason why they don't settle in Sweden makes perfect sense from a family perspective as summarized here: Prinsesse Madeleines mand taler ud: Derfor kan vi ikke bo i Sverige alligevel - Royale | www.bt.dk

I like that he has realized that he is a public figure whether he likes it or not and that he in hindsight should have been less reserved in regards to the press. That indicates a man who has and can learn and that is never a bad thing.
I think this interview will (deservedly) improve certainly Chris' reputation among the Swedes.
I agree. It shows great character to point on prior "mistaakes" and learn from them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you, LadyFinn

The essential reason why they don't settle in Sweden makes perfect sense from a family perspective as summarized here: Prinsesse Madeleines mand taler ud: Derfor kan vi ikke bo i Sverige alligevel - Royale | www.bt.dk
It makes perfect sense from Christopher O'Neill's perspective and to suit his own personal and professional interests. It doesn't make any sense from the perspective of Madeleine and her children, who, as princes of Sweden, should stay in the country as required BTW by law.

In fact, I find it curious that Chris thinks that commuting frequently between London and Sweden "wouldn't work for him", but he has no problem with his wife's having to do it frequently to do "her job", even though she has two little children to look after. I also found his line about being the "breadwinner" extremely sexist and old-fashioned. Unsurprisingly we also found out from the interview that leaning Swedish continues to rank pretty low on Mr. O'Neill's list of priorities.


Quote:
I think this interview will (deservedly) improve certainly Chris' reputation among the Swedes.
Judging from the reactions on this forum, it might. I'm not Swedish and it's none of my business, but, to me, that interview doesn't change anything. It just confirms the profile and opinions I expected from Chris. I am also disappointed the interviewer didn't press him further on the issue of moving out of Sweden to avoid tax disclosure.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It makes perfect sense from Christopher O'Neill's perspective and to suit his own personal and professional interests. It doesn't make any sense from the perspective of Madeleine and her children, who, as princes of Sweden, should stay in the country as required BTW by law.

In fact, I find it curious that Chris thinks that commuting frequently between London and Sweden "wouldn't work for him", but he has no problem with his wife's having to do it frequently to do "her job", even though she has two little children to look after. I also found his line about being the "breadwinner" extremely sexist and old-fashioned. Unsurprisingly we also found out from the interview that leaning Swedish continues to rank pretty low on Mr. O'Neill's list of priorities.




Judging from the reactions on this forum, it might. I'm not Swedish and it's none of my business, but, to me, that interview doesn't change anything. It just confirms the profile and opinions I expected from Chris. I am also disappointed the interviewer didn't press him further on the issue of moving out of Sweden to avoid tax disclosure.
That's probably because he is conservative.
And that does not surprise me at all!
He is the type of man who comes home from work. Kiss his wife who is waiting for him with the dinner. Then he'll play a little with the children before putting on his slippers and evening jacket.
All he needs is a pipe, a newspaper and the wireless next to the armchair he is sitting in. He would fit in perfectly in a middle class home anno 1955.

I think the role as a husband to a royal would not suit him well. In that respect he would find a kindred spirit in Prince Henrik in DK! And to some extent perhaps in the Duke of Edinburgh.
While Daniel is well suited to the more egalitarian role he has.

I will also, like you it seems, maintain that Chris O'Neil would find Sweden a trifle too socialist for his taste, not least tax-wise.

But at least he has explained the reasons behind what is being done, whether one agrees with them or not. He is simply arch-conservative.

In the eyes of Chris O'Neil, he is the breadwinner, when he gets a new job, the family moves along and that's it! Madeleine may be a princess, but in his eyes, she is first and foremost Mrs. O'Neil and mother to his children. Whether that has really dawned on her yet remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,063
Very nice interview. As to those questioning things, I would imagine all this came up before they got married. It's evident that Maddie is agreeable to how things are.

He is the breadwinner, has nothing to do with being 1950's. Unless you are trying to say that Maddie could support the family on whatever stipend she gets for her appearances and that she is being prevented from doing so.

Some women like it that they don't have to support the family, they like staying home and being the primary caregiver, they like being in those roles. So everyone stop assuming that he's some sort of sexist pig that is forcing his poor downtrodden wife to make all the sacrifices. Looks to me like it's a joint decision. He didn't just go rogue and do an interview without telling anyone what was going to be said.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,788
Easy now. Who claimed Chris is a sexist pig?

I believe he is very conservative and that he identify himself as and feel comfortable in the traditional male role as the family breadwinner.
I do not believe he would feel comfortable in the role as supporting husband to a royal.

That's how he is. Whether that is good or bad in relation to his marriage is not up to any of us, that's up to Madeleine.

The interview has provided a deeper look into the character and mindset of Chris O'Neil and it has provided an explanation for why they don't settle in Sweden.
Chris does not fit into the politically correct Swedish "feminist husband" but at least he is not a hypocrite and that is good thing.

Having said that, being married to a conservative husband, that's Madeleine's headache. What is interesting to me is what role, if any at all, Chris will have in regards to the SRF.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,063
That's the tone that's coming across and the words 'sexist' were used...because Chris is not a feminist husband this somehow equates to that it is wrong or that there's a problem with him for not being one.

Just like you say being married to a conservative husband is Maddie's headache...she wouldn't of married him if she thought that was going to be a headache.

Enough with the name calling because 'you' (meaning anyone here) don't agree with how a person choses to believe or live.

Looks to me like his role, as has been pointed out all along, is going to be limited to times where he can get away from his job other than family events that he really can't miss (like the baptism etc).


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
What is interesting to me is what role, if any at all, Chris will have in regards to the SRF.
IMO, in the SRF, Chris' role will be a minor, supporting one. Frankly, to me, Maddie herself has a minor supporting role. V&D will increasingly take the spotlight, and will be supported by C-P & S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's how he is. Whether that is good or bad in relation to his marriage is not up to any of us, that's up to Madeleine.

The interview has provided a deeper look into the character and mindset of Chris O'Neil and it has provided an explanation for why they don't settle in Sweden.
Chris does not fit into the politically correct Swedish "feminist husband" but at least he is not a hypocrite and that is good thing.
I am sure all of these matters were agreed before the wedding. Chris has a career that requires him to be in the US or in London. Maddie has an increasingly minor role to play in Sweden, and she can commute 4-5 times a year and carry out a few engagements supporting her charities and at key family events. I don't think there is anything particularly conservative about it. If Maddie was the Crown Princess, it would have been different. Actually, if maddie had ever been a particularly hard working royal, things could have been different. This is what she chose. Lets not judge Chris for this.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,788
In Scandinavian context and in particular Swedish context, a husband defining himself as "the breadwinner of the family" is considered a conservative statement and something very few Swedish husbands would dream about saying out loud.
In Sweden it is very common for men to define themselves as feminists.

In that light while some, in Sweden in particular, might fume at what Chris said, I personally can't help chuckle because I find it delightfully politically incorrect. - And honest.

This has got nothing to do with Chris being "a sexist pig" or name calling or conservative being a bad thing. It's merely how I look at and interprete what he said based on my cultural background.
- And surely I know better what I mean when I write something, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Princess Robijn's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,912
He sounds like a mature family man who understands the responsibilities his wife has, even if he might not like them.

It's highly likely he didn't make this decision alone, which means Princess Madeleine aproves.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 380
I can't get past Madeleine registering her family in Sweden and stating that their residency status was permanent.

I think the significance of Chris claiming himself the breadwinner is to explain what is driving where the family lives.

I don't presume that Chris is some kind of autocrat, in fact I get more of a vibe that he is an adoring husband who is trying to satisfy his wife's needs and that Madeleine more likely is the one changing the terms of what was agreed to because she misses Sweden and her family more than she expected and Chris is trying to accommodate her. Hopefully London will be the right situation for them for the next few years but it still remains to be seen how they are going to handle residency requirement for their titled children.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: toronto, Canada
Posts: 303
I am at a bit of a loss here, how did Chris become a sexist conservative pig???? Somebody or bodies have to be the breadwinners in a family. Chris is the one in his family as is my husband in mine. Somebody might take care of the children, that might be Maddie as it was me in my family. That doesn't make anyone sexist or conservative, it happens to be what the family decides . If makes more sense for someone in finance to base their work in London than Stockholm ( no offense to all my Swedish friends but London is a larger financial center) and for Maddie to commute from time to time to events as needs be.He laid out the workings of his family in an honest way and lets not read more into it than that.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
In Scandinavian context and in particular Swedish context, a husband defining himself as "the breadwinner of the family" is considered a conservative statement and something very few Swedish husbands would dream about saying out loud.
In Sweden it is very common for men to define themselves as feminists.

In that light while some, in Sweden in particular, might fume at what Chris said, I personally can't help chuckle because I find it delightfully politically incorrect. - And honest.

This has got nothing to do with Chris being "a sexist pig" or name calling or conservative being a bad thing. It's merely how I look at and interprete what he said based on my cultural background.
- And surely I know better what I mean when I write something, eh?
I agree. It was a little jarring for me to read :P Very foreign and "old" to me. Not blaming him or saying that is not their choice. But the use of the words are very non-swedish as you say!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
He sounds like a mature family man who understands the responsibilities his wife has, even if he might not like them.

It's highly likely he didn't make this decision alone, which means Princess Madeleine aproves.

I agree. Perhaps it's a cultural difference but I saw nothing condescending or uncomfortable about Chris's remarks.

I think Princess Madeleine and her children are very lucky.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-22-2015, 01:11 AM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's probably because he is conservative.
And that does not surprise me at all!
He is the type of man who comes home from work. Kiss his wife who is waiting for him with the dinner. Then he'll play a little with the children before putting on his slippers and evening jacket.
All he needs is a pipe, a newspaper and the wireless next to the armchair he is sitting in. He would fit in perfectly in a middle class home anno 1955.

I think the role as a husband to a royal would not suit him well. In that respect he would find a kindred spirit in Prince Henrik in DK! And to some extent perhaps in the Duke of Edinburgh.
While Daniel is well suited to the more egalitarian role he has.

I will also, like you it seems, maintain that Chris O'Neil would find Sweden a trifle too socialist for his taste, not least tax-wise.

But at least he has explained the reasons behind what is being done, whether one agrees with them or not. He is simply arch-conservative.

In the eyes of Chris O'Neil, he is the breadwinner, when he gets a new job, the family moves along and that's it! Madeleine may be a princess, but in his eyes, she is first and foremost Mrs. O'Neil and mother to his children. Whether that has really dawned on her yet remains to be seen.
You cannot compare the Duke of Edinburgh or Prince Consort of Demark to Chris. In both those cases, they married the heir and future regents.


Chris isn't arch-conserative - it's perhaps many cannot fathom Chris refusing a royal title, continuing his career and calling a spade a spade.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,499
I don't see him as arch-conservative either. What has he ever said or done in his life that would give anyone that idea?


I have my own ideas about what constitutes conservatism and Christopher O'Neill falls short on almost every level.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I don't see him as arch-conservative either. What has he ever said or done in his life that would give anyone that idea?


I have my own ideas about what constitutes conservatism and Christopher O'Neill falls short on almost every level.
His lifestyle and comments are VERY conservative here in Sweden.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: anywhere, Sweden
Posts: 32
In Sweden they are conservative. But in this situation, he had to clarify that they dont live off the taxpayers, he works so he cant be at every event. He couldnt give doubts the Srf is supporting them, especially since the media check even on his Rolex. Madde does few events, she is paid nothing for her work at Childhood... So it's Chris that works.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It makes perfect sense from Christopher O'Neill's perspective and to suit his own personal and professional interests. It doesn't make any sense from the perspective of Madeleine and her children, who, as princes of Sweden, should stay in the country as required BTW by law.

In fact, I find it curious that Chris thinks that commuting frequently between London and Sweden "wouldn't work for him", but he has no problem with his wife's having to do it frequently to do "her job", even though she has two little children to look after. I also found his line about being the "breadwinner" extremely sexist and old-fashioned. Unsurprisingly we also found out from the interview that leaning Swedish continues to rank pretty low on Mr. O'Neill's list of priorities.




Judging from the reactions on this forum, it might. I'm not Swedish and it's none of my business, but, to me, that interview doesn't change anything. It just confirms the profile and opinions I expected from Chris. I am also disappointed the interviewer didn't press him further on the issue of moving out of Sweden to avoid tax disclosure.
Agree 100%!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chris o'neill, prince nicolas, prince nicolas of sweden, princess leonore, princess madeleine


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Madeleine, Chris, and Leonore, Part 1: April 2014 - June 2015 JessRulz Current Events Archive 584 06-17-2015 05:26 PM
Princess Madeleine of Sweden and Chris O'Neill's Pre-Wedding Dinner: June 7, 2013 Marengo Pre-wedding Events 221 03-15-2015 12:06 AM
General Information on Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill Ansgar Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family 250 04-24-2014 11:04 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit dutch state visit to france e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece harald v kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala nobel gowns norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess marie fashion princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikha hind state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises