Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to the couple! Wishing them a long and happy life together.
Looks like recent reports of "imminent engagement" were accurate after all.

Congrats

Congratulations to the couple! Madeleine is a real cutie :D

I don't know much about the SRF, is she an 'active' member and on what scale can we expect the celebrations? More a private affair or state wedding?

I wonder what title Christopher will get, if any, as he probably won't give up his American citizenship? And I'm curious if he takes on the Bernadotte name like Daniel did? :flowers:

If he doesn't become a Prince would he at least be a Duke? Like Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?

I'm so happy about them!! I wish them all the best

I guess for a wedding on Saturday 15:th June. June is a very common wedding-month in the SRF and there is also a bit of symbolism in that date as it was the wedding date for Madeleines godmother and aunt Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson.

I might be wrong but i think they will choose to have the wedding in the Royal Palace Church and not the Cathedral .

Last edited:

I don't know much about the SRF, is she an 'active' member and on what scale can we expect the celebrations? More a private affair or state wedding?

Madeleine used to be an active working member of the Royal Family until she moved to New York (after she called off her previous engagement). After moving to New York, she started working for the World Childhood Foundation - an organization hr mother c-founded. She does perform duties in Sweden as well, but very rarely.

Her wedding will most definitely be a smaller affair than Victoria's, but I still expect it to be a glittering and probably semi-state event.
Madeleine may be 4th in the line of succession, but she's still the Monarch's daughter.

robby86 said:
If he doesn't become a Prince would he at least be a Duke? Like Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?

He'll probably getting a dukedom. Catherine never got made a Duchess she takes her style from her husband who was made a Duke upon marriage.

Chris still looks like a 50 year old sugar daddy in his engagement picture, and I am in no way saying that's what he actually is. I have always maintained he looks older than he is.

Last edited:
Kate is still a Princess - Princess William. She just used her husband's highest available title, which is the Duke of Cambridge. If William hadn't been granted a peerage title, then Kate would have been known as Princess William, just as the wife of Prince Michael of Kent is known as Princess Michael.

When Madeleine was engaged to Jonas, it was announced that he would be referred to as Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland (male version of Madeleine's titles). I'd image the same will apply to Chris. Whether he is created a Prince of Sweden in his own right (like Daniel was) remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were.

A man takes his wife's style in Sweden?? Good grief!

Ahhhhh, its what dreams are made from......and many books. Good for them!!!

Congratulations to the couple!! I have to say though that the engagement video is sooo cheesy its unreal especially for a Royal to make public!!

Oh it's great news! Congratulations to them both!! I was beginning to feel depressed at the thought of no more weddings for a while so this is a happy news!!

And why not? Equality is quite an important issue in Sweden. A woman takes her husband's styles and titles in Sweden, so why shouldn't a man?

Of course, Victoria's is a special case because she is the Heiress to the Throne (which is why it is possible Chris will not be created a Prince in his own right like Daniel was), but it is most certainly expected that the future spouses of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine will be treated in exactly the same way. Thus, say, if Chris remains a plain Mr Chris O'Neill and is given no additional styles and titles (which is highly unlikely but theoretically possible), then Carl Philip's future wife will enjoy the same treatment (that is to say, she will not become a Princess or a Duchess).

It's said in the official interview that Chris will not apply for the swedish citizenship. So he will stay british/amarican. And if I remember right titles are not possible / won't be recognized officially in any way in the american everyday life. So is it even possible to give him an official title / male version of Madeleines title (the title of a completely different country) if he doesn't want to change his citizenship? :ermm:

Do you think their children will be in the line of succession?

I was asking myself the same question. Somehow I can not imagine Chris receiving the title of a Swedish Duke. I really think he will just stay Mr. Christopher O'Neill.

I wasn't expecting an engagement so soon after the first failed one with Jonas, but I must say I'm very happy for her. She deserves to be happy. I just hope he's the right guy for her.

I am happy for her but for somereason I don't like him, i don't know why i don't know him but may be his look in his eyes, his face, issomething, hope I am completely wrong and wish her the best !

And what, pray tell, is so wrong with that?

It's akin to a woman keeping her last name and her husband choosing to add her name to his. It's rare, but it does happen and there's nothing wrong with that.

I hope we will see them at the Nobel Prizes!
Chris will not attend the Nobel Prizes, at least this year, even when Daniel was engaged to Victoria he didnt go, he only attended when married.

principessa said:
Do you think their children will be in the line of succession?
they will, why not? Madeleine is herself in the line of succession. she not only got her father the King's permission but also the goverment. even if her children will not have a title (like Martha-Louise daughters/Princess Anne's children and grandchildren) they are all descendants of King CG, so they will be in line.

Duke-of-Earl said:

she's the daughter of the Monarch, its obvious she'll have a grand wedding but in a smaller scale of an heir's wedding, but theres a possibility that Chris or even Madeleine dont want a big affair but considering all this engagement stuff, pictures and even the video, i assume they are making this big already.
the other monarchs in europe had big affairs for their other children, Infantas Elena and Cristina, Martha-Louise, Joachim (even his second marriage), Constajin, just to name a few.

Last edited:
I was asking myself the same question. Somehow I can not imagine Chris receiving the title of a Swedish Duke. I really think he will just stay Mr. Christopher O'Neill.

I believe the interview said titles for him would be released on the wedding day.

This is great news for Madeleine. The engagement strikes me as quite soon, they haven't been out for too long though after what happened with Jonas she must know what kind of man she is looking for. I'm happy for them, and the video they decided to do is most unusual and original for a royal couple so thumbs up for that. We needed a good royal announcement after the end of the festivities in Luxembourg and this comes just on time!

I wish the couple every happiness.
Congratulations!

Then again, I do believe Jonas did attend the Nobel Prizes when he got engaged to Madeleine but sat in the audience. So I think it's possible if Madeleine attends this year's Nobel Ceremony, we could see Chris attend as well.

Picture:Jonas Bergstrom Fiance Of Princess Madeleine Of Sweden

HRHHermione said:
I believe the interview said titles for him would be released on the wedding day.

Really? Haven't read anything about it. Do you have a link ? Would be great.

So happy for them! I wish them all the best. I hope for Madeleine everything will be fine this time.

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!

I agree with you 100%

Back
Top Bottom