HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone said: it was a 'classy wedding' :flowers:! I'm wondering: did it make a difference that the bride came from the nobility and thus not a commoner, at least not by continental standards??. In Northern Europe we've seen a few commoners marrying into royalty in recent years; they've had the full royal make-over all the stops have been pulled out for a 'romantic' wedding - especially Stockholm 2010. Though groomed, primed and prepared the commoner often manage to look a bit out-of-place at the wedding.
Then there's Stephanie de Lannoy with a natural noblesse, - arriving in her in gown, in itself a fairly simple design turned exclusive and sophisticated with the Elie Saab hallmarks, wearing a family heirloom tiara. She was the most stylish bride -stylish in the regal way - I've seen for ages! Then there was the the beautiful music and the solemn occasion.

For the record: I'm not against royalty marrying commoners, but somehow this Luxembourg wedding represented the true mystique of a royal wedding!

viv

Perfect description! Yes, regal - that it was.

viv:

Viv: I used the word classy to describe the wedding, but IMHO you have summed up perfectly why it was just that. thanks

I have to say that this wedding was class all the way! There were obviously some deeper emotions underpinning the wedding with the very recent death of the bride's mother that provided a poignancy...And the dress was unbelievable! I think this dress overshadows most of the wedding dresses we've seen in recent years - a simple design, yet grand in detail - it definitely had a regal and sophisticated air about it! And yet the bride looked so beautiful and innocent... I think that juxtaposition is what did it!

Was there a picture of the wedding cake? I don't believe I saw it.

You are right. A very "classy" wedding. Truly love and respect between the two principles. Everything seems wonderful to observe. I hope they have a blessed union.

Yet another beautiful royal wedding, I loved Stephanie's Ellie Saab dress it was beautiful.the whole thing was just beautiful.

As someone said: it was a 'classy wedding' :flowers:! I'm wondering: did it make a difference that the bride came from the nobility and thus not a commoner, at least not by continental standards??. In Northern Europe we've seen a few commoners marrying into royalty in recent years; they've had the full royal make-over all the stops have been pulled out for a 'romantic' wedding - especially Stockholm 2010. Though groomed, primed and prepared the commoner often manage to look a bit out-of-place at the wedding.
Then there's Stephanie de Lannoy with a natural noblesse, - arriving in her in gown, in itself a fairly simple design turned exclusive and sophisticated with the Elie Saab hallmarks, wearing a family heirloom tiara. She was the most stylish bride -stylish in the regal way - I've seen for ages! Then there was the the beautiful music and the solemn occasion.

For the record: I'm not against royalty marrying commoners, but somehow this Luxembourg wedding represented the true mystique of a royal wedding!

viv

That's how I feel too. This one had that special "something" that left you in no doubt that it was a very Royal wedding-it almost reminded me of those old newsreels of weddings from my mom's era in the 60's- but there was also a sense of intimacy and poignancy about it as well.

It's now my all time favorite Royal wedding along with Daniel/Victoria and Baudouin/Fabiola. I wish there was a complete DVD I could purchase, the music of the liturgy(Mozart's Mass of the Trinity) was especially moving.

Beauty, romance, grandeur...this wedding had absolutely everything. :wub:

ETA: That wedding cake is something to behold....EIGHT TIERS!!

Last edited:
That's how I feel too. This one had that special "something" that left you in no doubt that it was a very Royal wedding-it almost reminded me of those old newsreels of weddings from my mom's era in the 60's- but there was also a sense of intimacy and poignancy about it as well.

It's now my all time favorite Royal wedding along with Daniel/Victoria and Baudouin/Fabiola. I wish there was a complete DVD I could purchase, the music of the liturgy(Mozart's Mass of the Trinity) was especially moving.

Beauty, romance, grandeur...this wedding had absolutely everything. :wub:

ETA: That wedding cake is something to behold....EIGHT TIERS!!

It certainly had that "it" factor that made it unforgettable, and all the people involved were so happy and joyous!! Grand wedding - yes! - but also had the intimacy of a small wedding if that makes any sense!!!

I've just bought this week's copy of Hello! Magazine and I have to say that I am very disappointed in the coverage of the wedding because it's not nearly as long as other royal weddings! Nonetheless, the photos are excellent and they really show up the incredible detail of Stephanie's dress, I mean it's basically silver lace and sparkles and shines like moonlight upon icy dew.

I've just bought this week's copy of Hello! Magazine and I have to say that I am very disappointed in the coverage of the wedding because it's not nearly as long as other royal weddings! Nonetheless, the photos are excellent and they really show up the incredible detail of Stephanie's dress, I mean it's basically silver lace and sparkles and shines like moonlight upon icy dew.

It is odd that certain royal weddings get more or less coverage, I do not know how they determine it. It seems Great Britain probably gets the most (I am not complaining!), but I don't understand it either. Size of country?

If you live in or around London you should be able to get a copy of Spain's !HOLA! magazine (the original magazine before foreign versions of HELLO!) which is bound to have more coverage. My copy is bought but still in Spain. !HOLA! always covers royal weddings big-time and although the words will be in Spanish you can pick your way through...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us :flowers:. Even though you weren't in the front row, your pictures came out clear. I love the picture of Stephanie, walking with her brother.

Yes, thank you! Your site is smashing!!!!!!!!!!:flowers:

Spanish HOLA! has devoted no less than 90 pages to the wedding in this week's issue! Considering that the magazine has only 112 pages, that is practically the entire magazine! :ohmy:

The photos are stunning and beautiful and even include a few pages from Guillaume's childhood, and family photos of the GD family relaxing at Fischbach and Berg Castles.

Buy it for the pictures even if you don't speak a word of Spanish, it is SO worth it...a collector's item. :whistling:

Last week's Point de Vue has a gorgeous cover photo of Gui and Stephanie and has 60 pages of wedding photos.

Paris Match also has some great pictures.

British HELLO might have dropped the ball, but other publications more than made up for it! ;)

Stefan, your photos are simply amazing! There are a few of Guillaume, Stephanie and Mette-Marit where they seem to be looking directly into the camera at YOU!

Last edited:
Nice pictures, can't tell from your description which one is Prince Joseph of Leichtenstein (listed as behind Princess Annunziata)? It's interesting that some of the "Jacobites" consider Prince Joseph the latest heir to the throne of England, after his mother Sophie, his grandfather Max of Bavaria, and his great uncle Franz of Bavaria. This is descent on the "Stuart" line.

Nice pictures, can't tell from your description which one is Prince Joseph of Leichtenstein (listed as behind Princess Annunziata)? It's interesting that some of the "Jacobites" consider Prince Joseph the latest heir to the throne of England, after his mother Sophie, his grandfather Max of Bavaria, and his great uncle Franz of Bavaria. This is descent on the "Stuart" line.

He is between his sisters, but it is not the son of the Hereditary Princely couple but the son of Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha and thus a cosuin of Guillaume.

Am I the only one who found it strange that the two adult bridesmaids weren't included in the official picture with the page boys and flower girls?

Holy cow Saschana, that was indeed some major work you did. Im sure it was exhausting but thank you so much for your hard work. Extensive to say the least but well worth it. :)

Holy cow Saschana, that was indeed some major work you did. Im sure it was exhausting but thank you so much for your hard work. Extensive to say the least but well worth it. :)

Oh, it wasn't me but the bloggers over on the Luxarazzi blog, who are fabulous! It's the No. 1 resource when it comes to the grand ducal family, they usually know what even the unknown members of the family are up to and report about it.

Lady Finn, thanks for the pictures (great one of Letizia's face). I am wondering about these army officer uniforms which the royal men wear. Some of them do not look right to me for a wedding. W-A looks older than he is and not of the same brand as Maxima, who is so bright and stylish on his arm. I believe formal evening dress would look better, such as that worn by Prince Felix and other younger royals. Mary's husband--what's his name, Fred?--looks like something out of the Pirates of Penzance. I know it's tradition, and some really like it, but I say they should change to a new tradition. I would have even preferred Guillaume in formal dress. His uniform was simple and hence not burlesque, but when he came out of the cathedral I believe he put on his long sword which someone must have handed him. I didn't like the sword. Anyway, I'm nit-picking. Thanks for the pics!

Thanks carlota...it was such a perfectly beautiful wedding!:whistling:

The Order of Sartorial Splendor had a post about bridal entrances -Stephanie's was one of the five or so that was show cased in her blog post!

It brought tears to my eyes!

1. She was a stunning bride -beautiful dress, smile (she seems so genuine).
2. Her handsome groom and his expression when waiting for her to come down to meet him at the alter! There is no doubt that these two are a love match!!
3. The tribute of silence to Stephanie's mother Alix in the beginning was so touching and sweet!
4. Lastly, I never really understood why her father walked her down the aisle, and why it was her brother the entire time. It was just now that I learned that he was too sick to do so. Bless his heart! When Stephanie made it to the alter, she and Guillaume greeted her father and spoke with him/exchanging sweet smiles! This was so lovely. For sure one of those moments that the two of the. Will not forget.

What a special wedding for such a sweet couple!

The luxumbourgish, Dutch and Balkin families have always been my favorite. This wedding, however has really, changed my wedding dress favs.... Now I really don't know which dress I want anymore for number one... MAX OR STEPH! Maybe I can have both!

Back
Top Bottom