2012 Paralympic Games in London, August 29 - September 9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MagMil said:

Thank you for the link! Great pictures, and of course lovely to see the whole Wessex Bunch :D.

EIIR said:
Thanks for that link, MagMil. Nice to see Kate once again with the whole Wessex family this time. Lady Louise is rocking her poncho; little James is too cool for one it would seem! They certainly seemed to enjoy themselves:

Prince Edward Earl Of Wessex Sophie Countess Of Wessex Lady

I have to say, Kate seems to get as nervous as I do when watching tense sporting occasions. I can only peep through my fingers and on other occasions I can't bare to watch at all. Many times I've had to leave the room during penalty shootouts and the like.

Prince Edward Earl Of Wessex Sophie Countess Of Wessex Lady

Louise is definitely rocking her poncho, red cap, and Team GB t-shirt. She looks cute with braids. James cracks me up :lol:. He's hanging in the back, and is all serious (wonder if the two boys near him are kids of a family friend). I too get nervous when watching intense sporting events, and have a tendency to cover my eyes :lol:. Great to see how excited everyone is to support Team GB.

ghost_night554 said:

Great pictures! Love the ones of Catherine and Louise. They get on rather nicely.

Catherine presented the gold medal in Athletics!
Photo by _wyattofficial • Instagram
https://twitter.com/elliott_james/status/242334039556648960/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/CharliKenny/status/242334349754773504/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/MikeFox16/status/242334214920470529/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/MikeFox16/status/242335691227410432/photo/1/large

Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine The Duchess of Cambridge is in the Olympic Stadium to present Great Britain discus thrower Aled Davies with his gold medal #ParalympicGB
Marianna Nodale ‏@MariannaNodale Kate Middleton (presenting medals) almost gets a bigger cheer from the crowd than the athletes (winning the medals). Almost.

you can watch it here! http://www.youtube.com/user/ParalympicSportTV/featured?v=NQN2MLaSdH0 just pull the little timer back to 41 mins and then let it go it should play it.

First article with photos from the whole day including medal presentation
2012 Paralympics: Kate Middleton cheers on mixed coxed fours and presents gold medal to champion discus thrower | Mail Online

I loved the end of God Save the Queen she just broke out into this huge smile was so cute.

Afterwards Kate joined the crowds and watched the rest of the Athletics competition.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link! Great pictures, and of course lovely to see the whole Wessex Bunch :D.

Louise is definitely rocking her poncho, red cap, and Team GB t-shirt. She looks cute with braids. James cracks me up :lol:. He's hanging in the back, and is all serious (wonder if the two boys near him are kids of a family friend). I too get nervous when watching intense sporting events, and have a tendency to cover my eyes :lol:. Great to see how excited everyone is to support Team GB.

Great pictures! Love the ones of Catherine and Louise. They get on rather nicely.

The two boys are Sophie's nephews, Oliver and Harry. They are her brother's children, who can be seen next to the two boys. I am not sure how old they are but the older one is REALLY tall. He towered above Sophie when he stood behind her in an image. They often attend the Windsor Horse Show with Sophie and Edward, so it's nice to see Louise and James with both sets of cousins. Louise looks delightful in her baseball cap, perhaps she never gave William's cap back! I love the two children in their patriotic t-shirts, and I particularly love the images of James pulling Sophie along. She is evident not walking fast enough for him! Not Louise and James have the same shoes on but in different colours, too cute.

I love the picture of Sophie and Catherine laughing, I wonder what tickled them so much. Louise's facial expression is priceless and she looks A LOT like Edward as a young boy in that photo. The resemblance is at times spooky.

Saw Catherine present her medals and I noticed how she was also wearing a scarf the same as Sophie from earlier on. Is it the Team GB scarf? I really like it! Catherine's outfit for her medals presenation looked a bit like a flight attendant, similar to that of Sophie's in the morning. Not sure how I feel about all these jacket and dress combo's!

Last edited:
Molly2101 said:

Saw Catherine present her medals and I noticed how she was also wearing a scarf the same as Sophie from earlier on. Is it the Team GB scarf? I really like it! Catherine's outfit for her medals presenation looked a bit like a flight attendant, similar to that of Sophie's in the morning. Not sure how I feel about all these jacket and dress combo's!

Catherine is wearing the team GB Paralympics scarf (the same she wore this summer when she visited the women's hockey team). Sophie is wearing the team GB Olympic scarf... They are slightly different... You can tell by the black on the Olympic scarf. Both are avail at Next

http://classic.next.co.uk/g7190s1#LID=01_05_04

Just returned from a very enjoyable day at the Paralympics. I can vouch for the enthusiasm being shown towards the Paralympic Games - the atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic and the whole Olympic park was packed to the rafters with families eager to be part of such a wonderful occasion. I feel so fortunate to have witnessed these truly remarkable individuals.

Just watched the medal ceremony video- you would think the British broadcasters would call Kate by her proper title but at last no - we get Kate Middleton. It hard not to look like an air hostess wearing the sort of outfits that Kate and Sophie had on.

I like seeing the interaction between Kate and the Wessexes. It appears Kate gets along great with Louise and Sophie is kind of a royal big sister. This year it seems that with William gone to the Falklands and on duty during both games, it has allowed Kate to bond with his family without him which is a good thing.

Just watched the medal ceremony video- you would think the British broadcasters would call Kate by her proper title but at last no - we get Kate Middleton. It hard not to look like an air hostess wearing the sort of outfits that Kate and Sophie had on.

I like seeing the interaction between Kate and the Wessexes. It appears Kate gets along great with Louise and Sophie is kind of a royal big sister. This year it seems that with William gone to the Falklands and on duty during both games, it has allowed Kate to bond with his family without him which is a good thing.

The scarf? The Duchess was wearing Team GB Paralympics scarf as was Sophie.

I also liked seeing the interaction between the Duchess and the Wessexes.

Nice for Kate to be able to present the gold medal to a GB athlete who also happens to be Welsh.

The scarf? The Duchess was wearing Team GB Paralympics scarf as was Sophie.

there are 2 scarves

Team GB Olympic scarf.jpg

Paralympic Scarf.jpg

early in the day Sophie with her red blazer is def wearing the Team GB scarf. At the medal ceremoney in the evening, it looks as if Kate is wearing the paralympic scarf

Catherine presented the gold medal in Athletics!
Photo by _wyattofficial • Instagram
https://twitter.com/elliott_james/status/242334039556648960/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/CharliKenny/status/242334349754773504/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/MikeFox16/status/242334214920470529/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/MikeFox16/status/242335691227410432/photo/1/large

Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine The Duchess of Cambridge is in the Olympic Stadium to present Great Britain discus thrower Aled Davies with his gold medal #ParalympicGB
Marianna Nodale ‏@MariannaNodale Kate Middleton (presenting medals) almost gets a bigger cheer from the crowd than the athletes (winning the medals). Almost.

you can watch it here! http://www.youtube.com/user/ParalympicSportTV/featured?v=NQN2MLaSdH0 just pull the little timer back to 41 mins and then let it go it should play it.

First article with photos from the whole day including medal presentation
2012 Paralympics: Kate Middleton cheers on mixed coxed fours and presents gold medal to champion discus thrower | Mail Online

I loved the end of God Save the Queen she just broke out into this huge smile was so cute.

Afterwards Kate joined the crowds and watched the rest of the Athletics competition.

You're a gem when it comes to some great updates :flowers:. The video of the medal ceremony was great. I don't know if the wonder of hearing 'God Save the Queen' and realizing that it's being sung about her family member has worn off yet for Catherine, but regardless, I loved the look of deference on her face while it was sung, and the huge smile at the end.

The two boys are Sophie's nephews, Oliver and Harry. They are her brother's children, who can be seen next to the two boys. I am not sure how old they are but the older one is REALLY tall. He towered above Sophie when he stood behind her in an image. They often attend the Windsor Horse Show with Sophie and Edward, so it's nice to see Louise and James with both sets of cousins. Louise looks delightful in her baseball cap, perhaps she never gave William's cap back! I love the two children in their patriotic t-shirts, and I particularly love the images of James pulling Sophie along. She is evident not walking fast enough for him! Not Louise and James have the same shoes on but in different colours, too cute.

I love the picture of Sophie and Catherine laughing, I wonder what tickled them so much. Louise's facial expression is priceless and she looks A LOT like Edward as a young boy in that photo. The resemblance is at times spooky.

Thank you for the information regarding the other children. It's great that Louise and James have cousins close to their age to play with. The picture of James pulling Sophie along was too funny. He's so enthusiastic. Probably couldn't get there fast enough to see all the action :D. Love the trainers too and the patriotic shirts (and yes, Louise may have very well adopted Wills' cap :lol:). Wouldn't it be nice to be in on the joke that cracked Sophie and Catherine up? I love how at ease they are with each other.

Just returned from a very enjoyable day at the Paralympics. I can vouch for the enthusiasm being shown towards the Paralympic Games - the atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic and the whole Olympic park was packed to the rafters with families eager to be part of such a wonderful occasion. I feel so fortunate to have witnessed these truly remarkable individuals.

Thank you for sharing all your impressions. I'm glad you had a chance to see this live. From the videos, I can definitely see and feel the enthusiasm of the crowds.

Oh, I kept cringing every time I heard the broadcaster day 'Kate Middleton'. At least when she walked out, she was called by her proper title. Yes, Catherine has a great rapport with the Wessexes, and it's delightful to see. Louise appears to adore her big cousin :D.

Thank you for the pictures!

Princess Märtha Louise has celebrated Norwegian Tommy Urhaug's tabletennis win yesterday, September 2, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Prince Daniel gives the medals and greets Sweden’s table tennis player Emil Andersson after his bronze medal.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/15351922/800/normal/83b4897ab1293/4emil.jpg
Prince Daniel greets Sweden’s table tennis player Anna-Carin Ahlquist after she won Sweden’s first Paralympics gold.

Daniel missed the swedish gold because there was so much traffic when he arrived. He said that he is going to see as many swedish athletes competing as he can.
Svenska guldhjälten för snabb för prinsen | Sport | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Sport Fotboll Hockey
Prinsen kom för sent – missade första guldet | Handikappidrott | Sportbladet | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Great pics of Daniel and the athletes. Thanks! He's really become quite a positive addition to the Swedish Royal family hasn't he?

Iranian Paralympic athlete refuses to shake Duchess of Cambridge's hand 'for cultural reasons because she's a woman' at medal ceremony
An Iranian athlete refused to shake the Duchess of Cambridge's hand after she presented him with his discus silver medal on Sunday. The Royal was warmly received on the podium by Paralympic GB's gold medal winner Aled Davies and Chinese bronze medallist Lezheng Wang. But when it was Mehrdad Karam Zadeh's turn to step up, the 40-year-old failed to offer a hand to the Duchess, clutching them close to his chest.
A complete non-story, especially since at the very end DM squeezed this line: "A spokesman for St. James's Palace has revealed the Duchess was briefed beforehand and warned not to offer her hand to Zadeh."

Hello Prince Daniel presenting some swimming medals. The gold medalist was from Sweden, so it was a nice touch for Daniel to give out these medals.

Hello Prince Daniel presenting some swimming medals. The gold medalist was from Sweden, so it was a nice touch for Daniel to give out these medals.

Here's the video of Daniel presenting the medals, and the gold medal to swedish Maja Reichard.
Swimming - Women's 100m Breaststroke - SB11 Victory Ceremony - London 2012 Paralympic Games - YouTube

An interview of prince Daniel and swedish table tennis player Emil Andersson, who won bronze. Daniel presented him the medal.
Daniel says that it was great to see Emil playing. What performance! Emil says that it is great to have a medal and to get it from prince Daniel. Daniel says that it was a very exciting match and they were on pins and needles when watching it, it was very inspiring. And they both say that it has been a very successful for Sweden so far, four medals already. Daniel is asked what he is looking most forward now. He says that watching the swedish athletes and he stresses out how wonderful idols and role models these next generation athletes are. He hopes that as many as possible can try some sport in Sweden.
Prins Daniel:

Daniel at the medal ceremony
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Daniel+2012+London+Paralympics+Day+kcCdX-zYBRcl.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Daniel+2012+London+Paralympics+Day+XbeyaCsWu_dl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Daniel+2012+London+Paralympics+Day+WKnYVY74EKdl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nice to see Prince Daniel attending the games and presenting the medals.
Iranian Paralympic athlete refuses to shake Duchess of Cambridge's hand 'for cultural reasons because she's a woman' at medal ceremony

A complete non-story, especially since at the very end DM squeezed this line: "A spokesman for St. James's Palace has revealed the Duchess was briefed beforehand and warned not to offer her hand to Zadeh."
It is a non - story indeed. Both parties knew well in advance how to approach the situation without being uncomfortable and breaking the cultural norms.

Last edited:
You know, Im just curious. Doesnt anyone else think it rude that the Iranian athlete wouldnt shake the Duchesses hand? I understand the religion thing but come on, its the paralympics for goodness sake. You would think that being he wasnt in a private setting or in an awkward situation, there would be some kind agreement. Its the Duchess for crying out loud! Well I for one thought it disrespectful and tacky. I know she was supposedly warned about this but, really? Just curious.

You know, Im just curious. Doesnt anyone else think it rude that the Iranian athlete wouldnt shake the Duchesses hand? I understand the religion thing but come on, its the paralympics for goodness sake. You would think that being he wasnt in a private setting or in an awkward situation, there would be some kind agreement. Its the Duchess for crying out loud! Well I for one thought it disrespectful and tacky. I know she was supposedly warned about this but, really? Just curious.

Nope, since he had already informed beforehand and there is a genuine valid reason, it is only right to respect his wishes.

No I don't think it was rude at all. He made a very friendly and respectful gesture by putting his hands to his chest. I went to school with men from cultures that don't shake hands with women and that is their cultural mores.

It is nice to see Prince Daniel attending the games and presenting the medals.
It is a non - story indeed. Both parties knew well in advance how to approach the situation without being uncomfortable and breaking the cultural norms.
I agree with you that the story is a big "non-story". It is so very unfortunate that the issue had to be written in the terms of ...refusing... rather than taking the opportunity to highlight cultural differences in a positive way. As a woman I have travelled in the Middle East and have always been treated with the outmost respect and the custom of not shaking hands (or the western bear hug) has not in any way taken away from the wonderful people I have met.

I think we need to take into account what kind of audience all this is geared toward. If the Average Joe doesn't know the difference between 'Kate Middleton' and 'Duchess of Cambridge', it's very unlikely that he/she would know the norms of the culture in the Middle East. The newspaper wanted to create a sensation, so it twisted the story in such a way as to make it seem as if one party 'offended' the other, when in reality it was anything but. I saw the clip, and the athlete in question did a very respectful bow, and smiled at the Duchess, who in turn knew what to expect and didn't even offer her hand. No harm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everone is entitled to their cultural norms. That was not rude. He gave a handshake to the gold medalists and a bow to the Duchess.

I'll join in with the others and declare that I don't believe this was at all rude. In any event that's meant to be inclusive of many countries and cultures, accommodations have to be made. The Duchess was briefed on how to handle this cultural difference appropriately, and did so, and the man in question behaved politely to her within the bounds of what's permitted in his religion.

This really was a non-story.

Back
Top Bottom