The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Diamond Jubilee 2012

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Royal Highness

There has been no transfer of power skit acted or played out on the balcony or anywhere else, nor have any successors to the throne been promoted during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in an attempt to transfer some of her popularity and good will to them or for any other reason.
I am at a loss to understand or comprehend how such an interpretation of the events has come about.
With the other two Jubilee celebrations, only the core members/highest ranking member of the royal family appear on the balcony and this Jubilee's balcony appearance has been the same.
To be frank, I wouldn't care if the seven dwarfs were on the balcony so long as the Queen was there too...not least of all because it would have caused less fuss and nonsense than having the royal family there.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The way people talk about Clarence House you would think that they sit with a gun to the Queen's head to make her do their bidding. That's painting CH and Charles as some sort of evil masterminds, but it also suggests that the Queen is a biddable push over.

The Queen is in charge at all times, that is without question. She does nothing that she doesn't feel is right or that she's not comfortable with. Camilla sat next to the Queen because that's the way the Queen wanted it. It really is that simple.

No doubt some Camilla hater out there will come up with some conspiracy theory that Clarence House somehow caused Philip's illness, meaning he missed the service and procession, and then bullied the Queen into letting Camilla sit beside her while convincing HM to banish the rest of her family from the balcony. This is utter rot. Charles will be King sooner rather than later; and Camilla will be Queen. The majority of people have accepted that, and for most Camilla's position next to the Queen really wasn't worthy of any comment whatsoever. Seeing Camilla at the heart of the royal family has become entirely normal, for most of us at least.

The Queen chose to use the final day of her Jubilee to demonstrate to the nation that she has confidence in Charles and Camilla, and William and Kate, taking the institution to which she has dedicated her life safely through the next half century. Some may not like that message, but it was clearly being made by the Queen who would not have made it had she not wanted to.
It seems you have exaggerated a bit. No one has said anything about holding guns to anyone's head, evil masterminds, or pushovers. It has been suggested that the Prince of Wales makes known his wishes to his mother as all children would be inclined to do. And his mother takes those into account as well as the practical matters of advancing the monarchy.
And The Queen most certainly has done things she would not normally do and she has done things she did not want to do in the past because it seemed they were necessary to address the issues at hand. An example would be the events surrounding Diana's funeral. The Queen did not "want" to change years of tradition regarding the flying of the Royal Standard. Yet, she did what she did not want to do and changed long standing tradition to address the perceived crisis at hand. (Even though she had done nothing disrespectful-and ought not to have had to change the tradition.) That is not to say The Queen is a pushover, it says that she is an intelligent woman who sometimes, after deliberate consideration, may give in to outside pressures and change her mind or alter her course to achieve a desired result. So, it would not be unreasonable to suggest that The Queen, after careful consideration, could be persuaded of the need to help boost Prince Charles' standing with the public and of the need to continue to rehabilitate Camilla's public persona for the longstanding good of the monarchy.

And I really don't see the need to throw out the "Camilla hater" moniker. There is a middle ground between "Camilla hater" and "President of the Camilla Fan Club."

Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea-n-tiaras View Post
I was not yelling. I was highlighting words in the quote to which I was referring. No venom here. Just assessing the way things appeared in my opinion. I most certainly do not view Her Majesty as in any way lacking in intelligence or as an old duffer. I think she is quite astute.
You would never know it from your continued ranting about Prince Charles and pressure from Clarence House, etc. If what you claim is true then the Queen has no backbone, and is pushed around by others.

Quote:
I get that Prince Charles calls her "Mummy." (that was not yelling by the way) I can phrase it differently.What is "apparent" to me is that the Prince of Wales' position is weak enough that his [mother] feels the need to promote him during the celebration of her Diamond Jubilee in a well calculated move to hopefully transfer some of her popularity and good will to him.
In point of fact I was referring to your earlier vehement posts using capitals. That is known a shouting and is not welcome on the forum, as posted at the beginning of each thread. As to transferring "popularity", we have already pointed out to you that that is an impossibility so please cease labouring the point. Throwing ones toys out of the cot achieves nothing.

Quote:
The attempt to transfer popularity to others is a frequent occurrence and not the least bit ludicrous. That is the reason politicians get popular figures to campaign for them. That is the reason causes enlist the help of popular figures to champion causes. The idea is that if this well loved and admired figure is for this person then I should be also.
As we have already pointed out, the Monarchy is not politics! And the Queen's subjects are not voting or electing anyone so it's all rather pointless. I am concerned however, about your perception of our Queen, venal, political and manipulative? Not traits I would have associated with HM, but if that's what you see . . .

Quote:
I am well aware that it is the law that determines who the next king will be, so I didn't need to see the "transfer of power" skit acted out for me. I came to the festivities to celebrate the present.
Since the Jubilee was under her complete control I suggest that you write to Her Majesty and tell her you are both generally and specifically, not amused!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
There has been no transfer of power skit acted or played out on the balcony or anywhere else, nor have any successors to the throne been promoted during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in an attempt to transfer some of her popularity and good will to them or for any other reason.
I am at a loss to understand or comprehend how such an interpretation of the events has come about.
With the other two Jubilee celebrations, only the core members/highest ranking member of the royal family appear on the balcony and this Jubilee's balcony appearance has been the same.
To be frank, I wouldn't care if the seven dwarfs were on the balcony so long as the Queen was there too...not least of all because it would have caused less fuss and nonsense than having the royal family there.
That's not true. For the Queen's Golden Jubilee all members of the Royal Family (including Kents and Gloucesters) appeared on the balcony.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You would never know it from your continued ranting about Prince Charles and pressure from Clarence House, etc. If what you claim is true then the Queen has no backbone, and is pushed around by others.

In point of fact I was referring to your earlier vehement posts using capitals. That is known a shouting and is not welcome on the forum, as posted at the beginning of each thread. As to transferring "popularity", we have already pointed out to you that that is an impossibility so please cease labouring the point. Throwing ones toys out of the cot achieves nothing.

As we have already pointed out, the Monarchy is not politics! And the Queen's subjects are not voting or electing anyone so it's all rather pointless. I am concerned however, about your perception of our Queen, venal, political and manipulative? Not traits I would have associated with HM, but if that's what you see . . .

Since the Jubilee was under her complete control I suggest that you write to Her Majesty and tell her you are both generally and specifically, not amused!
As I have already stated I was not at any time intending to yell. The caps were meant to highlight the ideas, not to yell at anyone. I apologize if they came across that way. I will make sure not to cause anyone to think I am yelling at them in the future.

It seems to me from your responses that you are, as you claim in your signature, quite fond of "wild words." This is clear from your seeming desire to mischaracterize and ceremoniously dismiss what I have stated, instead of discuss it.

I am well versed in the British Monarchy and have great respect and admiration for Queen Elizabeth II as anyone who knows me would attest.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
In my opinion, quite simply, it is only polite to ensure that the ladies in a carriage are able to face forward rather than backwards.
That's exactly what I thought regarding the seating arrangements.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It seems you have exaggerated a bit. No one has said anything about holding guns to anyone's head, evil masterminds, or pushovers. It has been suggested that the Prince of Wales makes known his wishes to his mother as all children would be inclined to do. And his mother takes those into account as well as the practical matters of advancing the monarchy.
And The Queen most certainly has done things she would not normally do and she has done things she did not want to do in the past because it seemed they were necessary to address the issues at hand. An example would be the events surrounding Diana's funeral. The Queen did not "want" to change years of tradition regarding the flying of the Royal Standard. Yet, she did what she did not want to do and changed long standing tradition to address the perceived crisis at hand. (Even though she had done nothing disrespectful-and ought not to have had to change the tradition.) That is not to say The Queen is a pushover, it says that she is an intelligent woman who sometimes, after deliberate consideration, may give in to outside pressures and change her mind or alter her course to achieve a desired result. So, it would not be unreasonable to suggest that The Queen, after careful consideration, could be persuaded of the need to help boost Prince Charles' standing with the public and of the need to continue to rehabilitate Camilla's public persona for the longstanding good of the monarchy.

And I really don't see the need to throw out the "Camilla hater" moniker. There is a middle ground between "Camilla hater" and "President of the Camilla Fan Club."
In major national moments (or moments of major national madness as followed Diana's death), the Queen takes advice from the PM and her advisors. But ultimately, the Queen makes the decisions. It reminds me of Lord Mountbatton complaining to the Queen that he should be allowed to ride close to her carriage during the Silver Jubilee procession, as opposed to further back. The Queen made it clear to him in no uncertain terms that she would not be changing the setup of the procession just to please him, no matter how much she loved and admired him as a member of her family.

The very small number of people who seem to have problems with Camilla sitting next to the Queen in the carriage are quite clearly people who have issues with Camilla personally. If Charles had remarried a woman totally unrelated to the War of the Waleses, I have no doubt they would not have had any problem with her sitting next to the Queen.

It's entirely natural that the Queen, in the twilight of her life, should look ahead to bolster the position of her heirs, both Charles and William. I think she was also teeing us up to see C&C and W&K take on more and more of the kind of duties that she and the DoE have been performing. I would be surprised if HM wasn't thinking in these terms.

Ultimately, I've seen no evidence that the British people have any issue with Camilla being in the same carriage as the Queen. My parents, who are royalists but not as interested in the RF as me, literally said nothing about Camilla's position or the balcony scene. Camilla's presence has now become so 'normal' and unexceptional, that it's no longer worth debating. The papers responded very positively to the decision to have a much smaller number of royals on the balcony as they support a leaner, more efficient royal family.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Courtier

I strongly believe that the general public has been very unfair to both Prince Charles and Camilla, but I also believe that the Queen should have included her whole family on the balcony--as she did during her Golden Jubilee. It really doesn't matter to me who made the decision to exclude three of her children and their families--I thought it was a mistake.

I also thought the purpose of this forum was to allow those who have an interest in the royal family and royal events to discuss their opinions. I find I learn a lot from people who have different viewpoints and hope that all the posters on the board can respect opposing opinions.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen has the final say. If anyone doesn't like the way she wants things done I suggest staging an "intervention" and get her straightened out. Obviously she is out of touch with how things should be done, she just doesn't know it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw no problem with the Jubilee arrangements, other than I would have liked to have seen HM's other children on the balcony, but one must naturally defer to the monarch's wishes. I enjoyed the entire celebrations and didn't think anything was untoward about Charles and Camilla's high-profile presence in the carriage, on the balcony, sitting in proximity to the Queen etc. Charles is her heir, after all. I just missed Philip's presence at the latter part of the festivities, but obviously it wasn't planned that way so I'm sure C&C's support was invaluable to HM at this time. I'm sure no one held the proverbial gun to her head at any time to force her into whatever decision was made.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM

Where is Lady Gabriella Windsor?
An important celebration for the Queen and she missed it. One day from her studies would do no harm.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Studying at Oxford.
Potentially sitting exams or even her final exams is important enough.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

Colleges tend to frown on students missing classes or exams, especially a final. I have no problem with who sat with the Queen, I rather her sit with someone then be alone. As for the balcony scene, I saw it more as showing the next generations of monarchs to come. Sort of like the Christianing picture of Princess Estelle and the recent portrait of Queen Margaret with Frederick and Christian.

I know Harry isn't the next Monarch but he is high in the line of succession.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Diamond Jubilee Reception at Guildhall
London, England - 05.06.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Quote:
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Procession - The Balcony at Buckingham Palace

Quote:
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Procession

Quote:
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee thanksgiving service at St. Paul's Cathedral
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkeh25 View Post
An important celebration for the Queen and she missed it. One day from her studies would do no harm.
Don't see the issue. Personally I'd skip an exam/studying but she may think otherwise.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley

Don't see the issue. Personally I'd skip an exam/studying but she may think otherwise.
She probably thinks her education, which will get her everywhere in life, is more important than appearing in the celebrations which will get her nowhere. We haven't seen this girl for some time and I doubt we will in the future.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I also believe that the Queen should have included her whole family on the balcony--as she did during her Golden Jubilee. It really doesn't matter to me who made the decision to exclude three of her children and their families--I thought it was a mistake.
I agree. It seemed odd to me.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Queen has the final say. If anyone doesn't like the way she wants things done I suggest staging an "intervention" and get her straightened out. Obviously she is out of touch with how things should be done, she just doesn't know it.
That is utterly brilliant! It's the best laugh I've had in days since all the agonising and dissecting of the carriage seating arrangements and the balcony appearance. I have to wonder who we could nominate as chief protagonist in said "intervention" and how he, or she, would enjoy an extended tour of the Outer Hebrides come winter!

Actually, I think the Queen is a pretty sharp operator. Jubilee celebrations see her gently underlining the Succession with her heir and his heirs and, in a couple of weeks we will, I am sure, see her emphasise the entire BRF at the Trooping of the Colour. The timing of both events is serendipitous in the extreme.

She really is one foxy lady!